August

Spring Bride

Our wedding date was set to be December 12th, and in August wedding planning had gone into full speed. My mother and sister were going crazy and spending tons of money on party items. Whenever Hara and I joined them at a venue to meet the party planner, it seemed like the wedding was more for my mother or sister than it was for us. Regardless, they did a nice job even though they were in bridezilla mode. So I let it slide.

In August Hara also moved in. We didn't share a room, but she stayed in ths room right next to mine. We were still just as close as we were before, so nothing really changed when she moved in. 

One afternoon I was home alone; my father was at work, my mother and sister were probably somewhere in Seoul shopping, and Hara was at a dress fitting. I stepped outside to the patio to read a book. I took out a cigarette and began to casually smoke it while I read. Moments passed and I heard a couple of doors open and close then the sound of the shower turning on. I figured somebody must've came home so I didn't budge. But then the water sound lingered on for more than usual; then I became suspicious. I put out my cigarette and left my book on a patio table before heading inside. I followed the sound of the water to Hara's room. Even though I knocked on the door, nobody answered. Carefully, I opened the door and stepped inside, and the water noise became louder. So then I followed to her bathroom, but I became puzzled. What if she was just taking a long shower? Should I step in or not? But what if she's hurt and can't cry for help? Just to calm my nerves, I knocked on the door and spoke,

"Hara, you've been in there for a while now....are you alright?"

And still, no answer. 

I waited a couple of minutes before knocking again. But yet again, no answer. I decided to slowly open the door and step inside, and what I found shocked me. 

Hara was sitting on the shower floor with an expressionless face and her knees pulled up to her chest. Cold water poured down onto her fully clothed body and her makeup ran down her face.

"H-Hara are you alright? L-Look at you, you're all wet!" I quickly turned off the water and grabbed a towel from the rack to cover her in. Her body was trembling and I quickly carried her to her bed. Hara didn't speak, she just stayed quiet and expressionless. She was wet, cold, and trembling but she showed no pain or worry. Almost like she was comatose.

I grabbed a nightdress and some undergarments from her armoire for her to change in, "Hara, j-just please change out of those wet clothes? I'll go get you a warm blanket." I dashed out to make the maid fetch me a warm blanket as fast as she could. When I came back I saw Hara already changed into her clothes and laying in bed. She softly sang a song....a song that sounded like a child's lullaby but I couldn't recognize it at all. I walked over slowly and sat on the edge of the bed while I covered her with a blanket fresh out the dryer.

"Hara....love...are you okay?"

She kept softly singing and after awhile she sighed happily,

"White is such a pretty color, isn't it Hyungyoon?"