May

Spring Bride

On a rainy day in May, I would meet my future wife; a twenty-three year old girl from Gwangju. I sat in my living room dressed in a black Armani suit, waiting for her arrival. Of course this was an arranged marriage, but I didn't mind. I was open to the idea since it meant a lot to my father. The girl's father and my father have been friends since college. They're also business partners and their wish is to see their eldest children, which would be us, married and running the company when they no longer can. 

My father, dressed in a black suit as well, and my mother and sister, dressed in white dresses, filed into the living room to join me. Soon after that our maid walked in to inform us that the Goo family's car had pulled up. My father grinned and told our maid to welcome them in and tell the butlers to prepare brunch. Not even a minute later our maid walked in with the Goo family trailing behind her. She showed them to the couch and bowed to us before exiting, closing the doors behind her.

My family greeted and bowed toward the Goo family and they returned the gesture. I made my way up to their daughter and bowed once again before holding my hand out towards her,

"Nam Hyungyoon. Nice to meet you." Her slim, lady like fingers daintly took my hand, and I boldly leaned in to press a small kiss to her hand. She replied with a small smile, "Goo Hara. The pleasure is all mine." Her voice was quiet and soft, but music to my ears. 

I quickly joined my family and took a seat, conversation had already started between my father and Mr. Goo, and my mother and Mrs. Goo had started to talk as well. I sat back and observed Hara who sat quietly with one leg crossed over the other and her hands in her lap. She stood at nothing more than five foot, she had a small, slim frame and a small waist. A pastel pink chiffon dress adorned her body. A gold necklace with a jade pendant hung around her neck and contoured her collarbones beautifully. Her brown hair was curled and laid gently against her back and shoulders, her skin was milky white and her cheeks blushed a pale pink. She had two lips like roses and her eyes were dark brown and doe like. She was a doll, a queen, a goddess-- and she took my breath away.

"Its so unfortunate that we can't have brunch outside. These storms sure do ruin things don't they?" My father chuckled and shook his head. 

"Actually they have stopped. When we got out of our car the sun had already started to shine." replied Mrs. Goo, who had a more confident voice than her daughter.

I looked over at Hara and smiled at her, "April showers bring May flowers".