Closing The Distance

Reaching You

 

Chapter 3: Closing The Distance

 

 

 

--- Amber’s POV ---

 

The star laden sky looking down before you as you absentmindedly walk. You’re on your way to the convention center where your high school reunion will be held. You decide to walk because it’s not that far away from your house and you wouldn’t be able to concentrate on driving since you’re currently a nervous wreck. She will be there. Your first love. You can’t stop playing different scenarios in your head on how you’re going to meet her. Will you be able to control yourself and say a casual hello? Or you’re going to let it go and show her how you miss her by hugging her and spinning her around. Would she still feel the same way if you do? Maybe it would be awkward since… Minho. Wait? Are they even together? You don’t have any news. You’re treading unknown waters. But you couldn’t deny that you wanted to hold her again. You wanted her in your arms… Where she belongs.

You notice that you’ve arrived in front of the convention center. You see some familiar faces at the entrance. You cross the road and make your way to the doors. Some people spot you and welcome you back. They ask how you’ve been. You feel so elated knowing that your old high school batch mates missed you. From a distance, you spot an old friend towering over other girls that are with her. You grin and make your way through the crowd. Your big little brother spots you and squeals in delight.

“Hyung!” She runs towards, tackling you.

“Ack! Hey there, Ssul! Wait… Did you grow taller again?” You ask, measuring the height difference.

“Stop it, hyung. I don’t want to get any taller anymore.” She says, faking a cry.

“Alright alright. Hey, Luna!” You call out, spotting a girl in contrast with Sulli’s height.

“Hyaaa! Amber! Ohmygoodness! You’re back! Sulli! Why didn’t you tell me this?! Moreover why didn’t you tell anyone of this?! Ohhhh! She’s going to be here soon!” She says, screeching and jumping while holding your hands. Ah the same vitamin sunshine.

Almost everyone hear Luna’s screeching voice and look over at you. Then people start coming over to greet you and ask how you’ve been. You forgot how fun it is to be with these people, the people who were in the best years of your life. But the sole person who made your high school life the best is still nowhere to be found.

“Ambro! Whoa, you’re even more handsome that us.” Henry slings his arm over you.

“Hah. I told you that years ago.” You say, earning a laugh from the team.

Your old basketball team now surrounds you. You were the only girl in the team and the only girl in history of the team. You were so good that the coach had to put you in. There’s Taemin, Jonghyun and the others to greet you. But where’s Minho? Huh…

“So… Any girls you met in LA?” Jonghyun says, winking at you.

“Hahaha. None, Jjong.” You say, waving your hands.

“Really? Come on, Amber.” He laughs.

“Really!” You laugh along.

“Shhh, guys. There’s only one girl who has Amber’s heart.” Henry says with a tease.

“Ooooooh.” The boys say.

“Shut up, Henry!” You say, punching his arm.

“Looks like Minho isn’t here yet. I bet he’s with her. Maybe they’re on their way.” Onew says, craning his head towards the entrance.

Oh, so they’re still together then? You don’t know what to feel. You don’t even know why you’re assuming that they’ve already broken up. Maybe you didn’t think he was up to the task of handling her. You thought you were the only one but you guess you were wrong.

“Yo, llama!” You hear a voice.

You spot a thundering Min stomping towards you.

“Whoaaaa. Min!” You greet your buddy with a high five.

“It’s been years, Amber! I must say, when she takes a look at you she’ll flip.” She says, examining you.

“What?” You ask.

“Oh nothing.” She grins.

You look at her, confused on what she just said. Who will flip? Min drags you to a table where they’re all sitting. The others see you and they come all tackling you into a huge bear hug.

“It’s been so long, Amber!” Key greets with a bright smile.

“Min’s right. She’ll flip alright. She might even regret that she has him. Hah!” Jia remarks.

“What are you guys talking about? Who is gonna flip? Do we have a circus act here?” You ask.

“No one, Amber. At least not yet.” Jia says, murmuring the last part.

“Right.” You grin.

You play along with them and catch up. But half of your mind is somewhere else. Of course you’re thinking of where she is. Is she even coming? What if she doesn’t? You wouldn’t lie that you would feel disappointed that all your nervousness will be in vain. But of course, you have to understand. She might be busy for all you know. Busy for… No. Not that.

The night continues on with you hanging out and catching up with your batch mates. You learn a lot of best friends eventually became lovers. Why that didn’t happen to the both of you, you thought. Oh, you forgot. You were a coward back then. But you couldn’t blame yourself either. She has all these crushes she talked to you about. As you recall, Minho was one of them. Though she stopped talking all about those crushes when you were in the middle of junior year. You were curious why and you didn’t bother to ask because you dreaded for the worst. For all you knew, she finally fell in love with someone else. And on that day by the sea, after the fireworks captured the sky you had your answer and that was the day you lost her. You also learn a couple of the high school sweethearts you knew are finally engaged. So you thought… Are they…?

You excuse yourself away from the others and make your way to the balcony facing the river. There’s no one else staying there but you. Everyone’s busy hanging out with their high school buddies and partying loud all night long rather than having a quiet evening by the river just like you. With a drink in hand, you lean over the railing and look out the city lights reflecting the dark, cold waters. You feel summer coming along with the evening air getting warmer. The city across the river displays that its day is just starting. Bright lights everywhere and people bustling about. But to your delight, you couldn’t hear any noise. The glass door leading to the balcony conveniently muffles the raging party on the other side. Quiet with the warm wind blowing through, you miss her. You miss her so much that every second that ticks by is a pain when you know that she isn’t here. This unrequited love you have… It’s a pain but you go on with it anyway. Because there’s that glimmer of hope that someday maybe… Just maybe… She’ll look your way and realize that the love she yearns for has been with her all along.

You suddenly hear glass breaking… and a gasp. You look to your right and you couldn’t believe your eyes.

“Krystal…” You manage to say.

There she is in all her beautiful self. Staring at you, wide eyed with her hands over . Glass shattered and drinks spilled all over her feet. Usually, she would freak out and start cleaning herself but not this time… She’s just standing there looking at you with that cute surprised expression. You smile at her and put your glass down at the table beside you. You walk towards her and offer your hand. She takes it with a shaking hand. You hold back your tears as you finally feel her warmth again after all these years. You guide her around the broken glass. That could be cleaned later but as for now your focus is all hers. You lead her to where you were standing earlier. You shift her near you and look over her.

“Hey…” You say, smiling.

Still no response.

“Krys.” You chuckle.

She’s still looking at you with that expression as if she’s about to cry. You never let go of her hand and you notice that she’s clinging on to it like there’s no tomorrow. It’s just like that winter day when you tore your glove. You miss those times with her. But now that she’s here, it’s possible to relive those memories. The feelings you’ve been holding on to, trying to suppress now is overflowing that you feel that your heart is going to burst.

“Come on, Krys. Say something.” You laugh and pinch her cheek.

“Dork.” You hear her mumble.

“Nearly five years of not seeing each other and that’s what you say to me? I’m hurt.” You give her a cute pout.

“Stupid.” Another one.

“Awwww.” You grin.

“Llama!” She suddenly bursts and hugs you tight.

You feel summer. Your summer. That loving warmth you miss so much is finally in your arms. Clinging on to you like you’re going to disappear any moment. You hug her back with the same warmth. You inhale her scent. Oh you miss it so much. The strawberry scent that entices you. You hug her again for the first time in years and it feels like you haven’t left at all. You remember that summer day when you said goodbye and hugged her where you first met. It was your graduation and you were letting her go. But as the time passed by you ate your words and yearned for her even more. Now you’re here and she’s finally in your arms, safe and protected. You want to tell her everything. How you feel, how you love her and how you couldn’t let her go.

“Why didn’t you tell me that you’re already here?” She asks, still crying on your shoulder.

“I just arrived today, princess.” You reply, her silky hair.

“Why didn’t you call me then?” She once again asks.

“I’m sorry, princess. I didn’t have your number. And besides Donghae-hyung tried to contact you but he couldn’t. So he told Sulli instead. So she told me that we have a reunion today.” You explain.

She pulls away, revealing her tear stained face that still remained beautiful.

“I’m going to have a word with her later.” She glares.

Ah that glare. Cold yet you missed it so much. It was the first expression she gave you after all. Despite it looking cold, you loved it so much. It made her Krystal.

“Okay. But first can you have a word with me? I’ve missed you, you know.” You tilt her head to look at you.

You notice her blush. Why is she blushing? Your heart fastens its pace.

“Of course.” She finally smiles.

You grin and you both lean over the railing, looking out. Your hands still entwined, not wanting to let go. There was silence. A comfortable silence. The reassurance that she’s by your side and you feel that she feels the same reassurance towards you.

“I missed you too.” She says, looking at you.

“I’m glad.” You say, smiling.

“So how was Los Angeles?” She asks.

“Great. I met new friends and experienced a lot of new stuff. The culture there is way different from here though. I had a hard time adjusting. I wasn’t the only one in my circle of friends who knows Korean. I met Yuri during my freshmen year. She looks a bit like you though,” You chuckle.

She gives you a death glare. Uh oh.

“You didn’t replace me with her did you?” She asks, squinting her eyes.

Ahhh too much cuteness. She's jealous of Yuri! You couldn’t hide that giddy feeling.

“Oh no, princess! No no!” You hold your hands up.

She looks at you then her glare softens.

“I trust you.” She smiles.

“Thank you.” You grin.

You’re only hers.

 

 

 

--- Krystal’s POV ---

 

“We’re going to be late.” Minho says, frustrated.

I just sit in silence as we wait in traffic. Tonight’s the reunion at the convention center by the river. I must say, I’m excited; I missed hanging out with the girls. But what I missed the most is you, Amber. I doubt that you’ll be there. You’re halfway across the world. You can’t just magically appear in the reunion. The traffic finally moves, albeit a little but it’s a progress. After an hour and a half we finally arrive at the reunion. It’s late but at least we’re able to attend. I bet Sulli and the others are looking for me already. We get out of the car and walk towards the entrance. Minho opens the door for me and we go in. The place is brightly lit and music is blasting across the room. This has turned into a raging party I suppose.

“Hey, Krystal! Glad you could make it!” I spot Sulli calling out to me.

“Sulli!” I greet her with a hug.

“Hi, Minho. Mind if I steal her for the night?” Sulli says.

“Hi there, Sulli. Of course. Krystal’s been so excited to see you guys.” He smiles.

“Thanks! The team’s by the food bar.” Sulli says while dragging me away.

Minho nods and disappears amidst the crowd. Sulli tows me to their table and there I see our friends waiting. But the only one missing is you.

“Krystal!” They greet and give me a hug.

“How have you guys been?” I say.

“Oh fine fine. You? How have you been?” Jia grins.

“Everything’s okay.” I nonchalantly say.

“With Minho?” Min says.

“We’re okay.” I reply.

“Really now?” She says, raising her eyebrow.

“Yeah.” I blankly say.

“Seriously?” Jia presses on.

“Okay. Okay. I think he’s going to propose to me sometime soon.” I hide my face.

“WHAT?!” The whole table erupts.

“I don’t know what to do. I don’t think I’m ready.” I say.

“The hell you’re not! Not yet! A-mmmffff!” Luna gets cut off by Sulli putting her hand over .

“What she means is she thinks you’re still not ready. I mean we just graduated.” Sulli explains.

True. We just graduated and I don’t think I can accept Minho’s proposal. I’m so torn. I don’t know if I should wait for you. I’m praying to my lucky stars that by some miracle, you would come back here and save me, Amber. I need you here. I’ve decided that I can’t go on with this anymore. I can’t go on making myself believe that I could live my life being with him and not you. I’m not stupid anymore.

“But it’s still your call, Krystal. We can only give you advice.” Sulli says.

Something’s off here. I feel like there’s something I don’t know.

“Look who’s here! Heya, Krystal.” I suddenly hear a voice behind me.

“Oh hi, Henry.” It’s your buddy.

“You’re finally here. We thought you wouldn’t show up.” He says.

“I thought so too. The traffic was bad.” I reply.

“But you made it and that’s what’s important.” He says, grinning.

Why is everybody more giddy than usual in seeing me? What’s going on?

“Oh and we’re going to take Minho out for a spin. Is that okay?” He asks.

“Sure. Go ahead.” I reply.

I notice Luna giving him a thumbs up. O…kay? What’s really going on here? These guys seem like they’re planning something. Henry excuses himself from us and disappears.

“Any news on Amber, Krystal?” Min asks after Henry left.

“None. I haven’t heard anything from her since she moved away.” I say, with pain in my voice.

It’s been years since I saw you. You’re gone for too long. I said that I would forget about my feelings for you and let you go. Since I know that you already have someone in your heart that clearly isn’t me. But as the time passed by I regret what I said. I can’t do it. I can’t. I can’t settle with someone knowing that you’re the one that my heart wants. I’ll try to make it right this time. I’ll work through this. I’ll try to be free and have you with me. I’m sorry if this seems selfish but I love you.

I excuse myself for some alone time at the balcony. All the music and talking are giving me a headache. I walk towards the doors with my drink in hand. I’m not a drunkard but there are things I’d rather not remember right now. Ugh. I’m sorry, Amber. I’m not used to be like this. A depressed wreck. I’ve been sulking and being my cold self. I’m back to being the ‘Ice Princess Krystal’ as what the kids back in grade school to middle school would call me because of my cold expression. I only changed because I had you with me. You were giving me the warmth I’ve never had.  But ever since you moved away and I lost you, I haven’t been smiling so genuinely. I’ve yet to find a reason. I open the door and enter the balcony. I notice someone leaning over the rails with his face slightly turned away from me. I guess I can’t be alone here. I look at the stranger and he pans his face to my direction, enabling me to see his face.

I lost control of my body the moment I saw who he is. The moment I saw your face. It’s you. I hear glass breaking. It seems that I’ve let go of my drink but I couldn’t care less. By some godly miracle you’re in front of me with that cute surprised llama face of yours.

“Krystal…” You call my name.

I missed how my name sounded when you’re the one saying it. I’ve missed you so much, Amber. You look so handsome. More handsome that I could remember yet even more beautiful than what my mind could comprehend. Gone are the days that you look like a school boy. Now you look mature. You smile at me and my heart melts. God I miss your smile. You put your drink down and walk towards me. I could feel my body shaking. How it’s reacting when it knows that you’re near. You extend your hand out for mine to hold. I extend a shaking hand, anxious to get a hold of yours. The moment our hands touched, I calm down. You guide me ever so gently over the glass I broke. I missed how you treated me like a princess. You take me to where you were standing and pull me closer to you, making my heart race. You look at me with those brown eyes I missed so much. I missed everything about you. Every single thing.

“Hey…” You say, smiling at me.

I couldn’t speak. I’m still in shock because earlier today I didn’t have the enthusiasm to go here because you weren’t coming. I’ve been praying on my way here that by some miracle that you would save me. And here you are, standing in front of me being all perfect. There you are saving me.

“Krys.” You chuckle.

It’s music to my ears on how you chuckle on every little detail. You respond a chuckle to every cold or blank expression I throw at you. It seems that you didn’t change at all. I hold on to your hand because I’ve missed that summer-like warmth you used to give me. I’ve been cold all my life and you’re the only source of light I have. I never want to let go for you might disappear away from me again.

“Come on, Krys. Say something.” You laugh and pinch my cheek.

I missed you, dork.

“Dork.” I mumble.

“Nearly five years of not seeing each other and that’s what you say to me? I’m hurt.” You say, earning myself a cute pout from you.

I love you, stupid.

“Stupid.” I say.

“Awww.” Now you give me a grin.

You still look like a llama no matter how old you grow. My llama.

“Llama!” I can’t take it anymore and hug you tight.

I feel summer. My summer. The warmth I missed so much is finally with me again. I feel you hug me back and I feel it even more. Memories of us come flooding in. From that cherry laden path on that summer day. The times where we would always eat under the same tree with you always getting from my food so I always pack extra for you. That winter day when you tore your glove and we held hands for the first time. That was the first time I felt your warmth for real and wanted to keep it only to me. I didn’t recognize my feelings back then. The sports fest when our class won and you carried me on your back while I waved our class flag. Did you know that was the time I realized that I love only you? The time where you bought me dress for me to wear when you learned about me singing at the festival. I still have that dress with me. I remember you were screaming like a maniac when I was about to sing but thanks to you my nervousness went away. Then we watched fireworks together by the sea and I thought of telling you how much I love you but I was too afraid to do so. That night when Minho asked me to be his girlfriend and I asked you what you think. You paused but told me to go ahead. Did you know that I was really hurt? I expected you to fight for me but I got nothing. I don’t blame you though. Then the next days before graduation were the worst. We rarely hang out and see each other since Minho’s there. I assumed you like someone else so I decided to try and let you go. I tried to see Minho. And on that graduation day where we found each other again on the stone steps where we first met, you said goodbye.

I felt everything. Everything. Now that I’m within your arms, I feel like I could do anything. I couldn’t take it anymore and I cry. I’m sorry that this is like how we parted but trust me I won’t let you go again. I won’t let it happen again. Stay with me, Amber.

“Why didn’t you tell me that you’re already here?” I ask, sobbing.

“I just arrived today, princess.” You reply, my hair. That endearment you gave me. I missed it so much. I wouldn’t have any one else calling me that. Only you.

“Why didn’t you call me then?” I ask again. Yeah, why didn’t you?

“I'm sorry, princess. I didn’t have your number. And besides, Donghae-hyung tried to contact you but he couldn’t. So he told Sulli instead. So she told me that we have a reunion today.” You explain yourself.

I knew it! I knew something was off! So they all knew that she’s here and yet no one told me? I hesitantly pull away.

“I’m going to have a word with her later.” My eyes turning into a glare.

“Okay. But first can you have a word with me? I’ve missed you, you know.” You tilt my head so that I could look at you.

That beautiful face. Ever so flawless. Oh what would I give just to see that every time I wake up. You missed me? Hah. See? No one would put up to your dorky antics other than me. I bet your parents locked you out again and you haven’t got a place to crash. No one would make you tacos and eat it with you while watching anime for six hours straight. I knew you would miss me. I blush at the thought.

“Of course.” I reply, finally smiling at you.

You grin at me and lean against the railing. I look out towards the river and the bright city light reflecting reminds me of the fireworks we watched. This is so peaceful. Our hands are sill entwined, not having the slightest motivation to part. We have our silence yes, but it feels just right. I’m content by just being with you.

“I missed you too.” I say, looking at you.

“I’m glad.” You say, smiling.

“So how was Los Angeles?” I ask.

“Great. I met new friends and experienced a lot of new stuff. The culture there is way different from here though. I had a hard time adjusting. I wasn’t the only one in my circle of friends who knows Korean. I met Yuri during my freshmen year. She looks a bit like you though,” You say, chuckling.

Yuri? She even looks like me huh? So you already found a replacement as soon as you got there? I feel my blood boil. Amber, you pimp!

“You didn’t replace me with her did you?” You ask, squinting your eyes.

 “Oh no, princess! No no!” She holds her hands up as I pleading not guilty.

Really now? Yeah… I guess you wouldn’t. You’re not like that at all, Amber. I know that I’m important to you. You said so yourself. So I’ll let that slide and bring up that topic sometime else. But for now, I’m just glad that you’re here.

“I trust you.” I say, smiling.

“Thank you.” You reply, grinning.

You’re mine.

“So… How are you and Minho?” You suddenly ask.

Ugh. Way to ruin the mood, Amber.

“We’re okay…” I reply, looking away.

“Is something wrong, Krys?” You ask me with concerned eyes.

“It’s just… Months before we were at Minho’s place for dinner. And his parents talked to us about… Getting married since we were already at the right age. Minho was against it at first but as the months go by, I see that he’s already determined to propose. So every time we go on a date I get nervous that he might pop the question. I’m not yet ready, Am. Something’s holding me back. I need to know if that something is worth fighting for. And to be honest… We never really kissed. He never complained and I’m thankful for that… We only held hands and the occasional hugs. But…I don’t think I love him anymore… Or moreover… I don’t think that I’ve ever loved him.” I say, leaning on to your shoulder.

“Why? If you never really loved him… What made you say yes to him back then?” You ask.

It’s because you told me to.

 

 

--- Amber’s POV ---

 

Marriage? No… No. No. No. You have to make it right this time. You have to fight for her. So that when Jackie comes home she’ll finally see you happy with the girl you love.

“Why? If you never really loved him… What made you say yes to him back then?” You ask.

Why? Is it because you told her so? But even if you did, she never really protested. It made you think that she really liked him back then. So if she didn’t, these years apart were in vain? If she had protested or asked why when you told her to go, you would have fought for her. But you couldn’t blame her. You were the one at fault here. She was yours and yet you let her slip away. Now there’s an impending proposal… What would you do now?

“Amber… If he popped the question… Do you think I should say yes and give him another chance?” She asks.

How could she say that? Another chance? Why would she give him another chance? It’s like she’s being a martyr stuck in a dead end. Maybe she’s waiting for something. It’s like that night again. She seems to be waiting a certain answer from you but you gave the wrong one.  

“Do you love me, princess?”

Does she? Ah screw this. You take a gamble and this time you couldn’t afford to lose her. Not again. You won’t be running home crying this time.

Someone clears their throat behind you. You both look around and see Minho standing there. You notice that his eyes are looking at your entwined hands and close distance. He’s your team mate, but ever since you decided to take the gamble, you now see him as your rival.

“Amber. It’s so good to see you’re back.” He says, you notice something about his voice. Is he drunk?

“Hello, Minho. It’s good to see you too.” You reply.

He nods and then he looks at Krystal.

“Krystal, it’s time to go home.” He declares.

You feel Krystal’s hand squeeze yours, not wanting to let go. Minho looks at the two of you with glaring eyes.

“Let’s go, Krystal.” He says, now sounding like an order.

“Hey, man. Look, you can go home first. We’re trying to catch up here.” You say, moving your body in front of her, protecting her.

“Come on. Krys, let’s go!” He raises his voice.

Krystal didn’t budge. You feel Minho getting angry. He really is drunk. They say alcohol exposes our true selves. So this is the real Minho.

“Amber. Move aside.” He says, walking towards you.

“No.” You stand your ground.

“What?” He says, stopping in his tracks.

“I said no.” You say, blocking Krystal from his sight.

“Hah. How can you say that? You’re just her best friend! I’m her boyfriend and soon to be fiancé!” He raises his voice once more.

“I’m sorry, Minho…. But she’s mine. She has always been mine” You say, glaring at him.

At that moment you feel courage surge through you. You wouldn’t let Krystal be with him. He’s dangerous. What if he gets drunk when they’re together? What would happen to her? Those thoughts swirl around your mind as you block him from going any nearer to Krystal… Because she is rightfully yours to protect.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heya! Deniselionheart here with another chapter of "Reaching You!" I'm deeply sorry for not being able to update asap. These past few months have been the busiest. To express my most sincere apologies, here's an extra long chapter and more Kryber! Yay! Seriously, I get fired up with all the feels whenever I write this. And there's me crying while writing this story. Hahahahaha. Anyways, enough with the rambling. I'm getting crazy again. Thank you, dear readers for supporting this story! I hope you like the new chapter. They finally see each other! YEAH! *dances like a maniac*

Comments, suggestions and violent reactions are welcome as always. Thank you and see you on the next chapter! :D