Being Apart

Reaching You

 

Chapter 1: Being Apart

 

 

--- Amber’s POV ---

 

Your phone lights up and the face of the person you love all these years greet your sight. You smile, thinking of how she’s doing right now. Is she happy? Is Minho taking care of her? It still saddens you that you left her but you knew it was for the best. It’s been four years since you moved in this sunny place called Los Angeles, California. It’s been four years since you last saw her lovely face, her charming smile, felt her icy aura and her loving personality. It’s winter back where she is, the season she loves the most. You wonder… Is someone keeping her hands warm? Of course there is. You told yourself that you would move on, but how could you? You knew the effort is futile. What should you do now? You don’t even know. Through the time you were here, there were a couple of girls and even boys confessed their attraction towards you. But you just kept on rejecting them because you thought of her. You thought of your princess. You couldn’t give your heart just to anyone. It’s only hers.

“Ambro.” A voice snaps you out.

You look up and you see your friend, Yuri looking at you with concerned eyes.

“What’s wrong? Is there something or someone bothering you?” She asks.

“Ah. Nothing, Yul.” You give her a smile.

“I know those eyes, Amber. You’re thinking of her again aren’t you?” She says, raising an eyebrow.

“Hahaha. You got me.” You say, standing up from the bench that you were sitting on the past hour.

“Seriously. It’s been four years. You already told me countless of times that you’re going to move on.” She says as you walk home.

“I love her, Yul.” You say, hanging your head low and feeling the pain in your heart.

“Yeah you do, buddy. Yeah you do.” She says as she pats your back.

There’s Yuri, your dorky friend that has been with you since your freshman year. She’s the only one who knows about you and Krystal. She knows how you feel because even this time, she’s in love with her childhood friend, Jessica. Ah, two hopeless romantics together. What could the both of you possibly do with your situations?

 

-----------------------------

 


“I’m home.” You announce as you burst through the front door.

“Hey, mei mei.” Your sister, Jackie greets you while still watching TV.

“Where’s mom and dad?” You ask as you sit beside her on the couch.

“Out somewhere.”  She says, eating her chips.

You attempt to put your hand into the chip bag but she immediately swats it away.

“Hey! Give some!” You protest.

“Nah uh!” She teases, laughing.

You both battle for the possession of the bag of chips. Ah sisterly love. Always arguing, but at the end of the day you would always have each other’s backs. Night falls and your parents finally come home. You and your sister welcome them back and proceed on helping them with the groceries. The evening goes on the usual routine. As you are silently eating dinner with your family, your father suddenly speaks up.

“Amber.” He calls you.

“Yeah dad?” You respond, swallowing the food you have in your mouth.

“You’re going to graduate real soon.” He says.

“Yes.” You respond.

“Have you grown to like this place?” He asks.

His question caught you off guard. Do you like this place? You would lie if you said you didn’t, but you knew deep inside you that this isn’t the place where you belong. You belong where she is.

“Yes. I like this place, it’s always sunny and warm. I also have a lot of friends here now.” You say, holding back.

“I see. But why do I get the feeling that you don’t?” He asks, looking at you.

Once again, his question caught you off guard and this time you don’t know what to answer.

“I get it, Amber. This isn’t the same as to back home. I know you miss Korea.” He says.

You hang your head low, you don’t know what to say.

“I knew that you weren’t in it since we planned to move here because of work.” He says, still looking at you.

“Do you know where you’re mother and I have been this afternoon?” He once again asks you a question that you cannot answer.

You shake your head for you didn’t have a single clue. Your dad looks at your mom and your mom gave him a bright smile. Though it’s normal, you find something is going on.

“Go tell her, dear.” Your mom says to your dad.

“Amber. As you said, you’re going to graduate soon. Do you have any plans on having a professional career here in the US?” Your dad sure has a lot of questions for you today.

You think about it. You’re going to graduate soon with a degree in Computer Science. This place would give you an opportunity to grow fast as a Software Engineer.

“At one point I did but as you always said, ‘Do what makes you happy, so that you won’t feel like you’re actually working a single day in your life.’. I know that this isn’t the place that would help me reach for my dreams and give me happiness.”  You reply, looking at him.

The table grows silent.

“Then I have good news for you, Amber.” He says, with a grin on his face.

“What is it?” You say as your heart beat grows faster every second, anticipating something.

“I had a meeting with my boss earlier about my contract here in the US. He said that we should be back at Korea in a year or so. So your mother and I are giving you the chance to go to Korea ahead of us. Since you’re graduating soon and you miss Korea.” He says, his grin growing even wider.

You just sit there, silent at what you just heard. You can’t believe it. You’ll be going back to the place where she is. You would see her again. You would be with her again. A tear slips from your eye, as you felt uttermost joy for the first time in years.

“Awww. My baby sister’s so happy, she’s crying.” Jackie coos at you, giving you a hug while laughing.

Your parents give you a bright smile of approval. They know how you feel. You’re just sitting there, tears falling down your face because of the thought that you’re going to be with the person you love after years of separation.

“Thank you!” You suddenly bolt up and give your parents a warm hug.

“Thank Jackie more. She’s the one who convinced us to let you.” Your dad chuckles.

“Jackkkkk! Thank you so much! Oh my god, you could have all the chips you want yourself!” You tackle-hug your sister.

She hugs you back and ruffles your hair while laughing.

“Go get her, Amber”. She whispers.

“Thanks, Jackie. I will.” You whisper back.  She knew all along.

 

 

--- Krystal’s POV ---

 

Walking down the cherry blossom path where we used to pass going to school. Oh how long has it been since we’ve been here? It’s already winter and I should be happy. But I couldn’t be, you’re not here with me. I remember walking here with you one winter day years ago. That day when you said that your other glove tore, leaving your hands cold.

 

--Flashback--

“You don’t have your gloves on…” I say as I take your hand.

I notice your cheeks getting red. It must be the cold getting to you.

“Well… Mine tore when it got caught in our gate this morning. But the other one is still fine.” You say as you show me your torn glove.

I look at your pale, cold hands. I took your glove that still okay and put it on your right hand. You look at me with confused eyes. I take your other hand and entwine it with mine as I put our hands in my coat pocket. Your eyes widen at my gesture which I gave you a grin in return.

“There. Feeling  better? Let’s go. We’re going to be late.” I said as we start to ascend up the stairs.

--End of flashback--

 

That was the first time that I held your hand. I smile as I remember the feeling of your hand entwined with mine. That summer-like warmth I felt for the first time. That summer-like warmth that I’ve grown to love so much. But it’s been a long time since I felt it. You took it with you as you left. Tell me, Amber… Do you miss me like I miss you? Do you think of me as I think of you? When are we going to be together again? I keep on holding on at the dream that I would be with you. I just couldn’t give it up. I still love you with all my heart. I tried to love Minho for the good guy that he is but I just couldn’t. He isn’t… you.

I start to walk ahead and arrive at the foot of the steps where we first met and said our last goodbyes. I hold the urge to cry. There are so many memories that this place gives me. That one summer day when you saw my hair get tossed around by the wind up to the time where you hugged me like there’s no tomorrow while I helplessly cry on your shoulder. I look up the stone steps and begin to ascend. As my foot makes contact with the first step, white fluff begins to descend from the sky. It’s snowing. Hah. You should be here warming my hands up, Amber. But you're on the other side of the globe.

I walk up the stone steps leading up to the school. It’s winter break so the school is deserted. I roam around, going to places where we used to hang out. I arrive at the huge tree where we used to eat our lunch together. I put my hand against the tree trunk, remembering the days we shared here in under this tree. I chuckle as I remember how you eat. You eat like a caveman so I always make sure to pack extra servings for you. The cold wind blows and for the first time in my life, I feel cold. I continue to walk around and I arrive at the place where I sang in front of all of those people during our last school festival. I remember how you supported me, you even bought me a dress for it.

 

“Go, princess! You can do it, Krys!”.

 

I remember you say those words as I enter the stage. How you screamed like a maniac, how I heard your voice despite all those people. You made my nervousness go away as I sang my song for you. I walk to the spot near the sea where we watched the fireworks display after my performance. I remember how I wanted to hold your hand then. I didn’t mind the fireworks because for me you’re far better sight. I remember that night when the sky was full of color, but my heart felt grey because I wasn’t yours.

 

“Stay”

“Don’t leave me.”

“I love you.”

 

Those three that I wished you said to me when I asked you if I should give Minho a chance. I still wish that someday you would say those to me. Even just one of them, especially the third one. I remember when my heart broke for the first time.

 

“You should, Krys. Minho is a good guy. I’m sure he’ll take good care of you.”

 

You said that when you let me be with Minho. How foolish of me to think that you would fight for me, as if you saw me more than a friend. I wonder… Do you have a special someone already where you are, Amber? I wouldn’t lie that I feel pained at the thought of you giving your smile to someone else. The smile that isn’t because of me. You giving your summer-like warmth to someone else other than me... I couldn't bear it.

“Krystal? Is that you?” A voice behind me says.

I turn to look at who it is and I come face to face with our class adviser in our senior year, Mrs. Han.

“Mrs. Han! It’s so good to see you!” I say as I hug her.

“It’s good to see you too, Krystal.” She chuckles.

“It’s been so long. I missed this place.” I say.

“That’s why you’re here.” She says, looking at the sea in front of us.

I nod and stand beside her, also looking at the scenery in front of us.

“Say… Isn’t Amber with you today?” She asks all so suddenly.

My heart fell after hearing her question. Oh, how I just wish that you’re here with me, Amber.

“No… She isn’t. She went to Los Angeles after graduation.” I reply, trying to keep the bitterness from my voice.

“Really? I thought you two would be at the same university. I mean you two were inseparable.” She says.

“I wished that she went to the same university as me. But I understand.” I say with sadness in my voice.

“Don’t worry. I’m sure that she’ll be back soon. It isn’t like her to leave you for good.” She says as she pats my shoulder.

“I remember that time when we were in our class field trip. She had to go somewhere but she couldn’t find you. So she went to me and told me to tell you that she will be right back and she won’t be long. Do you remember that?” She says.

I look at my memories. Indeed there was I time where you disappeared one time at a class trip. I freaked out because I couldn’t find you anywhere.

“Yes. I recall that I was on the verge of crying when I couldn’t find her. But you went to me and told me where she went. Indeed after sometime she came back carrying food and something for me.” I say, unconsciously smiling.

“See? She’ll be back, don’t you worry.” She says, looking at me.

I give her a smile. Then my phone suddenly vibrates and there’s a message from Minkho telling me that it’s time to go. I frown.

“It seems that I already need to go, Mrs. Han.” I say.

“See you, Krystal. It’s good to hear from you again.” She says as she gives me a warm hug.

I walk towards the stone steps, I look back to give her a wave. She waves back and I continue walking towards the stone steps. I arrive and I stop in my tracks.

 

--Flashback--

“I’ll never forget you. Thank you for being the best part of the best four years of my life. You know I love you, princess.” You say, looking straight at my eyes.

“I love you too, Amber.” I reply as I poured out my unsaid feelings for you in my silent confession.

--End of flashback--

 

I remember our exchange at this exact place. Finally, I let my tears out once more. The pain is still fresh. I want- no… I need you here with me. I miss you so much. I still love you and I will continue to love you. I want to meet you again and try to give us a chance. I don’t want to waste my life without knowing the possibility that there could’ve been something between us. I don’t know if you feel the same way but I’ll know.  So come back to me, Amber. Come back to me. Please…

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And there's chapter 1! Yay! I hope you guys like it. I found myself writing thist after I got a mental block with "A Thousand Years". Seriously. I'm lost with that story. I love it, but I'm lost. Anyways...looking on the bright side I was able to write this. Yay! :D

So please tell me what you think! Comments, suggestions and violent reactions are much much welcome! Thank you for reading! :D