Chapter 7: Tiramisu and Demons

Tales From Earth (Tales of the Human World)

Its been almost a week since I fell to earth. All my life I had been told lies about earth and its people. Lies that seemed to make so much sense back at home when I was younger but now seemed painfully obvious.

 

Melody thought to herself as she lay quietly in what became her bed. She felt the heat of the sunlight on the exposed parts of her skin. The sun warmed her and gave her a familiar feeling. One that felt like home. With that thought, her previously relaxed mood had shifted into something akin to depression.

 

Home, it was still a sore subject for her. She had tried her hardest to forget the situation since it happened but she knew it had scarred her in a way she wasn't quite sure of yet. Although her wings were in no more pain, she avoided looking at any mirrors just so she wouldn't be faced with the lack-there-of. That was the hardest to swallow. Wings were an angels pride and joy, what literally kept them a float in their little world as she had learned.

 

Her family and friends had betrayed her, her elders disowned her and she was made the laughing stock of their society. She would forever be an example to other angels of what not to do and the punishment it brings. She was no longer an angel in the truest form. She was now one of the fallen.

 

An outcast.

 

She saw her vision become blurry and since being on earth, these tears have been more constant then when she lived in her world. Why would an angel cry? Angels only experience the good because there was no need for the bad, sadness, pain, or longing. It wasn't necessary. Happiness, joy, elation and enthusiasm were what angels know best. Even at the moment of her punishment, there were no tears shed for her, no plea to save her. Sure, there was shock and awe, but no anguish.

 

But melody now understood the concept of pain, the feeling of sorrow and betrayal and the raw need for sustenance.

 

She was never aware that angels were so gilded, so blind.

 

She wiped the tear drop from her eye and observed the droplet as it slid off her fingers and across her palm.

 

The feelings and sensations she felt from her body were also very new and often times overwhelming. Each time she felt a new emotion it was like a cold wave crashing into her. Somehow, naturally she was able to identify most these feelings but it didn't make it any easier. She was scared these negative feelings would overcome her and she would become even less of an angel then she was now (if that was possible).

 

She was interrupted from her thoughts by a knock on her door, “Melody?”

 

Thats right, Jonghyun.

 

Melody instantly brightened at the voice. She felt the heaviness in her heart slowly dwindle before it was quickly overcome by another emotion. The emotion an angel knew best. Jonghyun had turned into her savior in her time of need. She was incredibly grateful for the man who had saved her life. Where would she be now without him? She didn't even want to think about it.

 

She had to remind herself that all was not hopeless and that she wasn't alone. She had met a wonderful group of people who had taken her into their arms and home. She had to think positively. She could make it, as long as these people were by her side.

 

 

Can I come in?” He asked from behind the door. Melody slid off the bed, stumbling over her feet in the process, before catching her balance and opening the door.

 

 

Yes, Jonghyun?” She smiled brightly. She was very excited suddenly. Maybe it was her newfound courage to keep going. Seeing him first thing in the morning brightened her day immediately.

 

I made breakfast if you want some?” Jonghyun offered with a warm smile that made Melody feel safe and comfortable. If she was excited before she was twice that now, human food was the most delectable thing she had tasted in her lifetime. She quickly walked to the kitchen, making sure not to trip over herself again as she made her way to the...table?

 

Melody looked at the small wooden table in the living room before turning a questioning glance at Jonghyun,

 

Jonghyun shied away a little and moved his hand nervously through his hair,

 

I figured we should get a table because I'm not alone anymore. After all, the floor really isn't a great place to eat”

 

Melody walked to the table and sat down happily. She understood that Jonghyun was not the richest man but she wasn't sure to what extent for she had no one else to compare him too. They had the necessities, so she thought it was just fine.

 

Thats very gracious of you, Jonghyun.” Melody thanked him as he brought the food to the table. Once he sat it down in front of her she immediately grabbed her chopsticks and took a bite.

 

Why is earth food so tasteful?” Melody asked with a mouth full as she ate happily. She swore she felt her wings twitch in content and that single sudden sensation just tripled her good mood. They had life in them yet. In the middle of eating she felt eyes on her.

 

Jonghyun?” She question, looking at his food, “Why are you not eating?”

 

Although, Jonghyun was looking at her, he seemed to be far away.

 

Jonghyun?” Melody called again. His gaze only intensified as she saw his mind join them on earth.

 

Are you okay? Were you crying?” Jonghyun asked as he noticed her slightly puffy and blood shot eyes. Melody didn't answer. She didn't want to say yes and seem ungrateful for everything he has done for her but she knew that he could tell if she lied. She paused eating and looked down at her plate.

 

It's okay, Melody” Jonghyun's voice was filled with understanding, “Forget I asked, keep eating. I have more where that came from.”

 

Melody felt like crying again but for a different reason. She didn't understand why this man was so understanding towards her. Why he was so kind and caring. She smiled and nodded her head, not trusting her voice, as she dug back into her food.

 

After the meal was finished, Melody offered to clean the dishes. She had learned how to use the faucet on the second day so she could help Jonghyun. Now she always offered because she didn’t want to be a bigger burden than she was already.

 

No, Its okay Melody. I'll do it when I get home from work.” Jonghyun said gratefully but then opened his eyes in shock.

 

Work!” Jonghyun looked at the clock, “I lost track of time. I'll be late if I don't leave now.” Next all she saw was chaos as he searched for his wallet, phone and shoes. Melody made a mental note of where they were located so she could help him next time.

 

I'll be back later tonight Melody,” Jonghyun rushed as he headed for the door, “Key will be here in a half hour so please be careful until then.”

 

Melody nodded dutifully, feeling a bit guilty. She had gotten into a bit of trouble the first day of being left alone, so now someone was assigned to her at all times. It's not her fault she didn't know how the toilets worked...

 

Melody watched Jonghyun leave and close the door in a hurry. A wave of sadness crashed into her as she watched him leave. She felt alone as soon as she heard the silence in the room. She sighed already missing him. Being alone meant she was alone to think and thinking was something she did not want to do after she had finally gotten herself out of her negative mood.

 

She forced a smile on her face.

 

Key will be here in a bit so don't worry,” She encouraged herself. “Now, those dishes...”

 

Key!” Melody called him into the kitchen. She panicked when she saw the small flames quickly burst into bigger ones on the stove.

 

Key!” Melody called again and no later did Key, come with a large red cylindrical. He pulled the pin out and held the clasp as a white foam appeared out of the nozzle. It quickly coated the stove and the fire was no more.

 

Melody!” Key yelled, “I leave you for 3 minutes and this is what happens? Do I have to keep an eye on you 24/7?”

 

Melody bowed her head a bit saddened, “I am very sorry, Key. A strand of my hair caught the dial that you told me not to touch and turned it. Next huge flames spilled out of the pot! Please, forgive me.”

 

Key took a deep breath to calm down. He knew that getting angry with her would get no where, but she had made so many mistakes today it was grating on his nerves. His patience was wearing thin and when that happened he got frustrated and angry. He knew it wasn't the angels fault. He should be blaming himself. What was he thinking putting a women who never cooked a day in her life into the kitchen?

 

Oh. Right...he remembered now.

 

Melody came to him, explaining that she wanted to make a meal for Jonghyun because he always cooked for her. He felt an unwanted twinge of jealousy in his gut. He wanted someone to go out of their way to make dinner for him too.

 

Lucky bastard.

 

Its Okay, Melody” Key sighed after reigning in his emotions. “It's not your fault. We'll start with something simple.”

 

Thank you, Key. I promise I will try my best.” Melody stared at him with renewed vigor.

 

Key couldn't help but smirk. He found her to be very strong-willed and hard-headed. He decided that he liked that about her.

 

Melody noticed Key's staring and gave a questioning glance of her own, “ So what will you be teaching me?”

 

Key set down the fire extinguisher and got rid of the scorched pan and foam before bringing out another one and setting it on the stove.

 

Im going to teach you how to make Eggs.” Key figured that was safe enough to start with.

 

Eggs...” Melody repeated as she watched Key retrieve some milky colored round shells from the fridge.

 

She watched as Key skillfully broke the eggs and dropped them into the pan. He followed up with some other ingredients before stirring the mixture.

 

Then you let it sit until the food cooks more.” Key explained. Melody watched in fascination as Key's hands glided back and forth effortlessly between the ingredients and the pan. Like, it was second nature.

 

Didn't you cook in...wherever you're from?”

 

Melody laughed. Her chuckle literally sounding like music to Key's ears. He shivered.

He wondered if that was some kind of Angel trick?

 

Of course we cooked.” Melody watched the eggs begin to puff, “ It's just fruits, vegetables and bread though. Meat was only allowed to be eaten by angels during the Feast of The Gods but that was still limited. You would be lucky to savor a bite.”

 

Feast of the Gods?” Key questioned.

 

A holiday where angels show their gratitude to the gods by bestowing upon them games, humor and a feast.”

 

Key nodded. He tried to understand the concept but every question he asked made him more confused about her and her culture.

 

Why do you thank the gods?” Key asked as he moved the finished egg onto a plate.

 

For protecting and watching over us. Without them, our land would be in chaos.” Melody explained as she leaned against the counter, watching Key.

 

Key nodded again, better understanding her.

 

And its done,” Key announced as he poured some ketchup on top before cutting it. He stabbed a piece of fluffy egg and held it out for Melody to try. Melody's aura flashed a quick yellow light before she stepped closer and bit the fork. Her aura flashed again as she gave an approving hum.

 

Delicious!” Melody grabbed a fork of her own and started digging in.

 

Key smiled happily as he watched her enthusiastically eat his food. Seeing how she enjoyed even the most simple dish brought a sense of accomplishment to him. He loved to cook and learn new recipes, practice foreign dishes and study cooking shows. However, the audience he cooked for wasn't very appreciative of his italian, greek and mexican dishes. Maybe Melody would be?

 

May I try ?” Melody asked, grabbing Keys attention. He stared at the empty plate and laughed.

 

Sure, Go ahead. Just make sure the heat is on medium high and that you crack the egg at the right-” Key stoppedgiving his cooking tips when he realized Melody already had the egg cracked and cooking in the pan. He watched as she grabbed the exact same ingredients he had and thrown nearly the exact same amount in.

Key fell speechless. This women was a very quick learner. She copied his moves almost down to a “T”. He found his gaze switching between the pan and her face as she cooked. Her hands moved as expertly as his and he found the look of concentration on her face adorable. He chuckled at the thought. This women did nothing but surprise him at every turn.

 

Would you like to try a bite?” Melody asked, holding a piece of the cooked egg up to his mouth with her fingers. Key debated for a moment whether or not to take a bite because he was a rather health-conscious person and eating from someone’s hands was incredibly unsanitary.

But then, he caught the accomplished yet nervous expression on her round face and he found himself leaning forward before he thought about it anymore.

 

What he did expect was the egg to taste delicious. He was a great teacher, but what he didn't expect was the goosebumps that rose on his skin or the shock he felt as her finger brushed his lips.

 

Key, distracted and shaken up, mumbled a “delicious” and gave her a thumbs up. Melody's aura remained a constant amber as she took another bite of the egg herself.

 

Key decided not to dwell too much on what just happened and do what he did best. Ignore it.

 

Key, May I ask, why are you named after an object that opens doors?” Melody asked as she moved to do the dishes.

 

Key stared at her for a moment not really comprehending what she was saying until it hit him. He laughed.

 

Key isn't my real name. It's just a nickname that happened to stick over the years.” Key explained, “My real name is Kim Kibum.”

 

Melody said the name once under her breath as she committed it to memory. Once again, Key swore he heard her voice sing.

 

Its a very nice name, why don't you go by it?” Melody asked.

 

Key shrugged his shoulders relishing in the indirect compliment, “ I guess Key is easier.”

 

May I call you Kibum?” Melody requested.

 

Key was sure of it now. She literally sang his name and it left him a bit stunned. That feeling he tried to ignore was quickly returning.

 

Of course, you can.” Key wouldn't object.

 

Melody smiled, “Then Kibum, can we make preparations for dinner? Jonghyun will be home in just 4 hours.”

 

Kibum looked at the watch and sighed. She was counting?

 

Sure, Jonghyun has nothing here so I have to make a quick stop at the grocery store.”

 

The grocery story?” Melody asked curiously. The words foreign to her.

 

Key tried searching for another word that maybe she would understand, “The...market?”

 

Melody then nodded in realization, “That sounds fun! May I accompany you?”

 

Key would love nothing more then that but knew it wasn't a good idea. He had no idea how to explain the wings on her back or the random glowing around her. Her outrageously long hair would draw attention by itself.

 

Melody's aura dimmed as she watched Key silently debate with himself. Soon after she questioned him she realized the impossibility. Sure, she wanted to view the world and everything it has to offer, but she was absolutely terrified of doing so. What if she did meet those horrible creatures she was told about. What if not every human was as nice and understanding as Jonghyun, Key and Taemin? She didn't even consider the hard time she would have blending in with the population.

 

Key opened his mouth to answer her but Melody cut him off, “Never mind, I'm not quite ready for that yet.”

 

Key nodded. He understood, he was just happy he didn't have to be the bearer of bad news.

 

I'll make sure to bring you back something sweet and delicious.” Key offered, knowing that would cheer her up. Melody's aura grew brighter again as she nodded happily.

 

Key grabbed his wallet and phone that was sitting on the counter and headed to the door, “I will be back in about a half hour. Melody, please try to stay out of trouble.” Key nearly pleaded the last part.

 

I understand Key, I will wait for you to return and make sure I touch nothing that will bring harm to the house or myself.”

 

Key sighed, knowing it wasn't a good idea but had to leave anyway. It was then he decided that Melody needed a phone. Maybe he might make a small stop on the way home.

 

See you in a while.” Key called as he watched Melody disappear behind the closed door. He sighed as he stepped into the empty hallway already missing Melody's warm presence and cheery exterior. He chuckled to himself as he made his way to the elevator.

 

I wonder if she would like some Tiramisu?” Key questioned himself as the elevator doors closed. When he arrived in the lobby he headed for the double door entrance. He was so engrossed in his thoughts that he didn't realizes someone opening the door right as he reached for it and slamming into him.

 

Key fell hard to the ground from the collision. His back making painful contact with the floor. His phone and wallet fell out of his pocket upon impact. Key, a bit dazed, swore he just ran into a pile of bricks. He thought maybe he ran into a wall but instead was surprised when he found a petite yet lanky boy standing in front of him as if the collision didn't affect him in the least. His eyes were hidden behind messy bangs and his posture was slouched over.

 

Excuse me, I'm extremely sorry ” A frail and shy voice spoke as he held out a hand for Key. Key debated on taking it, once again concerned for germs but figured the man was just trying to make nice after knocking him over. Instead of getting angry over it Key decided to be the bigger man and accept the subtly apology.

 

Key grasped the man's hands as he pulled him up.

 

Its okay, just a mist-” Key's sentence trailed off as he observed the odd man's malicious stare on him. Key was shocked by his soul-piercing crimson eyes. He felt a foreboding shiver run down his spine and his senses were warning him of danger.

 

Well I should be going now...” Key tried to leave but found the man wouldn't let go of his hands. He gave the man a questioning look as he once again tried to pull free of the man's vice-like grip.

 

What's your deal?” Key started to get frustrated. Key's glare switched between their hands as he struggled against the man's hold.

 

I'm so weak...” The recently shy and un-intimidating man's voice dropped to a raspy, guttural tone. Key watched in horror as the man's sinister smile widened to reveal razor sharp teeth. He yelled in pain as he felt something sharp dig into his palm. He looked down to find that the man's hands had taken on a charcoal color as his nails sharpened and drew blood.

 

Key hissed in pain, utterly terrified by what was going on in front of him. He could think of nothing logical to describe what was happening to him at the moment.

 

You,” The menacing voice began, “You hold something special about you.”

 

Key jumped in his skin as the man pulled Key closer to him. Meeting chest to chest so that the man could whisper in his ear,

 

And you smell delicious.” The man Key's ear which caused him to shutter violently in disgust.

 

Get the away from me you ing creep!” Over Key's dead body would this er get away with that. Key thrashed violently against the man, only managing to put some space between them. The mans strong grip never wavered.

 

Man, your a feisty one too!” The laugh sent another horrible chill down Key's back.

 

You will do perfectly.” The man finished.

 

What the hell does that mean!?” Key thought he might literally die today. Thoughts flashed through his head of Jonghyun, Taemin and Melody. His past, his desires, his future, guilt and regret. Key could do nothing but stare furiously at the demon in front of him. His thoughts just adding fuel to the already blazing fire.

 

Wait. Thats it. This er is a demon! Which for some reasons made complete sense to Key at the moment.

 

I see you've learned what I am.” The demon laughed maniacally, “That just makes it all the easier to claim you.”

 

With those words, the demon clawed his fists and lifted Key off the ground.

 

you!” Key cursed the man right before the demon stabbed his sharp claw into his chest.

 

Key found himself unable to breath anymore as he watched the blood seep out of his wound and onto the demons hands. Based on the sight in front of him, he expected to feel the worst pain all throughout his body but oddly didn't. He only felt numbness as his skin grew cooler. Key's eyes began to pale as he stared at the demon's deeply possessed red eyes.

 

Then, in an odd turn of events which Key didn't understand. The demon's body began to slowly dissipate, starting with his feet. Key watched as the hand digging into his chest dug a bit deeper before disappearing completely inside him. His eyes widened in utter shock as the rest of the demon's body followed the hand. Before he knew it, the body was gone and Key fell to the floor in an ungraceful manner. Body sprawled out against the floor .

 

What the hell?” Key groaned as he felt air rush back into his chest. He breathed deeply a few times, trying to gain his bearings. He found he was unable to move his body so he settled on staring blankly at his surroundings. Key wasn't sure if this was what death felt like or not but he didn't give it much thought because he felt overwhelmingly lethargic and tired. He just wanted to sleep.

 

From somewhere around him he heard his phone ring, Taemin! He recognized the ringtone. His blurred vision made it hard for him to spot the phone vibrating just out of his reach. He needed to answer it, he needed help. He needed to say his final words to his brother.

 

Sleep” The demons familiar and menacing voice sounding in his head should have caused him more alarm but he agreed with the demon. Wanting nothing more then to sleep.

 

Ignoring the ringing of the phone, his eyes fell shut as he fell into darkness.


A/N: So sorry for the lateness!! I figured I would let this one be extra long to make up for it! The next chapter will be up in the next dew days. :D Let me know what you think of this little twist? :D