Key's Admission

Tales From Earth (Tales of the Human World)

The feel of the sun on Melody's skin was comparable to nothing else. She lifted her head to the sky and took a deep breath as she raised her arms towards the sun. She wanted nothing more that to take the sun into her arms just so she could get more of that glorious heat on her skin.

 

She felt herself becoming energized with every step she took, her wings appreciated it too if the constant twitching was anything to go by. The sun reminded her of home, but this time it didn't bring any bad memories. This time it only brought hope and fondness. The sun wasn't as close as she as it was in her world, but she wasn't going to complain.

 

Jonghyun, Key and Taemin stared at Melody with different looks of awe. She seemed almost like a child that was deprived of life for too long.

 

Key on the other hand, was off in the corner, hiding in the shade the tree's created. Since being possessed, the sun has become more sensitive on his skin. Once, when he went grocery shopping, he came back with his forearms smoking where the sun had made the most direct contact.

 

Hey, Melody,” Taemin called out. Melody didn't respond for a moment before she opened her eyes and turned her attention towards him. She smiled towards him as her aura flashed yellow again.

 

Yes, Taemin?” Jonghyun could hear the song in her voice as she spoke.

 

Have you ever played hide and seek?” Taemin smirked towards Melody. Melody gave him a strange look and nodded her head, “Of course. Although, we didn't call it by that name.”

 

Then are you up for a game?” Taemin challenged. Melody giggled and nodded.

 

Yes, would you like to be it?” Melody asked.

 

This won't be a long game then.” Taemin agreed with a cocky grin.

 

Will you be joining us Jonghyun?” Melody offered.

 

No, I'm going to join Key under that nice and shady tree.” Jonghyun pointed over to the solemn key leaning against the tree's trunk.

 

Melody nodded, “Are you prepared, Taemin?”

 

Taemin laughed, “Of course! And because I'm so nice , I'll even give you a head start.”

 

Melody laughed and sprinted off before Taemin had the change to finish his sentence. Once Taemin realized what happened he rushed off after her. Jonghyun laughed at the two before joining Key under the tree.

 

Jonghun sat silently next to Key. He noticed that Key seemed to be thinking about something deeply. His eyebrow were drawn deep into his forehead in concentration. His nails dug absentmindedly into the ground next to him, drawing up dirt and grass.

Key? Something wrong?” Jonghyun asked.

 

Key didn't look at him or respond right away. After a deep breath he finally turned to him and shook his head.

 

Yes, Jonghyun everything.” Key sighed as he relaxed his weight tiredly against the tree. Jonghyun waited patiently for Key to begin speaking, after a moment key opened his mouth.

 

I've been hearing a voice in my head and its been telling me to do...things.” Key spoke slowly, so he could use the right words.

 

Jonghyun raised his eyebrow in question, “Voices? Like what?”

 

The demon's voice that possessed me. Every once in awhile he will pop up in my head and tell me what to do or what to think and its really annoying.” Key gave an exasperated sigh, “He doesn't show up often but when he does, he is so obnoxious!”

 

What does he tell you when he does show up?” Jonghyun asked, trying to understand his friend but was having a bit of trouble understanding where he was coming from. The conversation was a bit awkward, only because Jonghyun hadn't the faintest idea what Key was going through. He could only imagine how hard it was for him adjusting to his new body.

 

He tells me to eat, pretty much. While always urging me to use my powers.” Key explained, “I have been able to ignore him pretty well since it happened but...” Key paused and gave a hesitant glance towards Jonghyun.

 

But?” Jonghyun asked, more concerned about his hesitation.

 

Since he possessed me, other things have changed.” Key hoped Jonghyun would understand but the look of confusion on his face said otherwise. Key dragged his palm down his face and took another deep breath. He really, didn't want to explain this.

 

Well , of course things have changed, I can see that in your appearance.” Jonghyun pointed out Key's charcoal eyes and sharpened teeth, claws and excessive strength. He had also grown a few inches since then, making Jonghyun feel slightly insecure in his own height.

 

I'm not talking about physical appearance, Jonghyun.” Key tried to explain, “Although, that has been a bother in itself. I had to go shopping for a whole new wardrobe because I either ripped the clothes or grew out of them.”

 

Jonghyun chuckled a bit, imagining Key putting on his designer shirt only to accidentally slice his claw's through them. Key struck Jonghyun's arm with his super human strength in response. Jonghyun gasped loudly and hissed in pain.

 

, Key! That hurt!” Jonghyun held his arm in pain. It felt like a brick slammed against him. He wondered shortly if it was broken.

 

Im sorry, but you deserved it.” Key huffed and crossed his arm but gave a concerned look anyway.

 

Jonghyun sighed, “Now explain these other changes.” Jonghyun tried bringing the subject back on topic while holding his arm in pain.

 

Key's face immediately flushed which made Jonghyun even more concerned.

 

Whatever it is Key, you can tell me. We've been through enough these past few weeks that anything else wouldn't be shocking.”

 

This might be...” Key tried stalling.

 

Just spit it out!” Jonghyun forced.

 

I want to eat Melody!” Key finally responded.

 

Jonghyun's whole world froze for a moment and the pain in his arm seemed like nothing anymore.

 

...You what?” Jonghyun had to make sure he heard right.

 

Key dropped his head in shame, “ My demon has been telling me to eat Melody, Jonghyun! When he first told me, I was shocked but ignored him. Then I began to realized how good Melody smelt and how soft her skin was...”

 

Key's voice was muffled by his hands holding his face in embarrassment, “Last night, I had an actual dream about eating her! What made me feel worst was the fact I enjoyed the dream and was disappointed when I woke up.”

 

Jonghyun froze next to Key. He wasn't sure what to say. He wasn't sure how to react. He wasn't sure how to feel. His thoughts and feelings were conflicting. He was divided between comforting his best friend and wanting to run to Melody and protect her from him forever.

 

Do you think your going to try to do it?” Jonghyun spoke cautiously. If he answered, yes, then Jonghyun will stop at nothing to protect Melody.

 

Key's stern glare met Jonghyun, “Never. Never will I hurt her. I would kill myself before that demon lie's one of my fingers on her.”

 

Then the direction of Key's glare switched to empty spot next to him and yelled, “You hear that demon? Try all you wan't but your not getting her!”

 

After a few moments of silence, Key humphed, “Let's get one thing straight, if your in my body you follow my rules...”

 

...So we're at an agreement?” Key responded to seemingly no one. Jonghyun knew he was talking to his demon but it weirded him out to know that there was a living thing inside Key that wanted to eat Melody.

 

Key?” Jonghyun tried calling him. Key returned his attention back to Jonghyun.

 

Sorry about that, I was just setting some things straight with him.” Key explained.

Jonghyun nodded slowly, “So your not going to eat Melody?” Jonghyun asked again. He had to make sure. He didn't wan't to go against his friend but...

 

Key glared once more, “No, I am not.”

 

Jonghyun nodded. He believed his friend and trusted in him, but he didn't believe or trust the demon within him. So he decided he would keep a close eye out on Melody for now on.

 

Do you feel the urge to eat her right now?” Jonghyun just had to ask.

 

Key sighed, “How could I not when I can smell her scent from here.”

 

Jonghyun sniffed the air experimentally and smelt nothing out of the ordinary. Especially not Melody's scent.

 

Key sniffed the air once again and this time smelt something off. He did smell Melody's scent but it was muddled by something else. A deep and pungent smell. He didn't recognize it but his sense wen't on high alert. His demon warned him that their prey was in trouble.

 

Key jumped up, “Melody’s in danger.”

 

Jonghyun watched the multitude of emotions cross Key's face until one of concern and worried remained. Key immediately ran towards Melody, testing out his super human speed. Jonghyun could only force himself to keep up as he followed behind Key. Unsure of what was going on.

 

Melody! Your too fast!” Taemin called out as Melody ran like she never ran before. Well, she had never ran like this before, why when she had her wings.

 

You're just too slow, Taemin!” Melody laughed at her slight jab towards Taemin, despite feeling bad for saying it.

 

He curse and sped up, she squealed in excitement. She was so caught up in the moment she didn't notice the presence in front of her before she slammed into it. The force of the collision caused Melody to launch backwards and land hard on her back.

 

She hissed in pain when she realized she had landed directly on her wings. She couldn't feel them for a moment as she tried to gain her bearings. She forced her eyes open through the pain, only to see a tall man in a black suite standing in front of her.

 

For a moment she swore she saw his eyes a blazing crimson, with a smile only comparable to that of the devil. She felt a horrid shiver down her spine as she blinked. When she opened her eyes again, she found the same man in front of her, only he was the image of kindness as he held out his hand for her.

 

Im very sorry miss, I should have watched where I was going. Are you okay?” His voice was filled with concern.

 

She stared between the hand and the man's smiling eyes and wondered if what she saw earlier was all in her mind. When decided it was rude to not take the mans hand, she reached her hand out towards him.

She was stopped, however, by a sharp clawed hand that she knew belonged to Key. He created a physical barrier between herself and him.

 

Are you okay Melody?” Key's voice faltered a bit as Melody watched the expression of horror cross his face. Key lifted her up by her extended arm and pushed her behind him. His strength kept her trapped as she watched him with worry. She didn't understand where Key's anger was coming from.

 

I'm fine Key, are you okay?” She asked, more concerned with Key's state of mind then her own injury’s.

 

Get away from Melody.” Key ordered with a feral growl as he turned his steely glare towards the stranger. The stranger didn't even flinch. He just continued to smile as he took a step forward.

 

Either this guy couldn't understand when he was in a dangerous situation or he just didn't care.

 

I'm sorry for the trouble. I wasn't paying attention and ran into this lady here.” The man apologized.

 

Key said nothing as he watched the seemingly harmless man oppose him. Key faltered for a moment, wondering if his demon was wrong about the situation but the demon flared up and told him otherwise. He told Key this guy was bad news and for once, he agreed with the annoying thing inside him.

 

It was then Taemin and Jonghyun caught up, both out of breath.

 

Minho?” Taemin questioned. Minho looked towards the men and a look of recognition crossed his face.

 

Taemin, Jonghyun! Just the people I wanted to see.” Minho greeted as he walked right past the furious Key and a confused Melody. Key stared at the man, stunned by his behavior. Did this guy not know what he was capable of? Key decided that he obviously did not, but wouldn't let Melody out of his sight until he was gone.

 

Jonghyun shot Key a questioning glance. He was terribly confused with the whole situation. Was Minho the danger that Key was talking about?

 

Taemin bounced up to Minho, completely unaware of the situation. Jonghyun approached cautiously.

 

Hey Minho, What are you doing around here?” Taemin asked.

 

Who's this?” Key interrupted. Taemin shot him a questioning glance.

 

I'm sorry, I should have introduced myself.” Minho smiled, “My name is Lee Minho and A few days ago these guys walked into my cafe asking for a job.”

 

He held his hand out to Key for a handshake but Key refused. Minho laughed and then switched his offer to Melody who was still being held by Key. Melody tried shaking the hand, so she didn't seem rude. But Key growled menacingly. This made Melody worry for both her life and Minho's. She didn't like being told who she could or couldn't greet but knowing that Key's demon could take over and eat her in a moment, made her listen.

 

Minho shot key a quick, almost indistinguishable glare, “Your a short tempered one, huh?”

 

Was there something you needed, Minho?” Jonghyun asked curiously. He really didn't like where this situation was heading and wanted it to end before it got out of hand.

 

Minho nodded, “Well, I was trying to find your address so I could bring you these!” Minho held out two bags with the cafe's logo on it, “Your new uniforms!”

 

Jonghyun swallowed, remembering the uniforms the men in the cafe were wearing the day they visited. Taemin grabbed the bags and looked inside, pulling out an white apron, black tie and cuff links.

 

So then we got the job!?” Taemin asked excitedly.

 

Of course! You two would fit perfectly in my restaurant. Come in sunday for training. You're responsible for your own white shirt and black slacks. Remember, prim and proper.” Minho explained as he brushed his own uniform for example.

 

Great then, I'll see you sunday.” Jonghyun couldn't be excited for himself with the situation he was currently in. He only wanted the job for the money anyway.

 

Then I'll be seeing you.” Minho took his leave but stopped short in front of Key. His gaze skipped over him and landed directly on Melody,

 

I'm sorry again, and I hope that I can apologize properly at another time.” Minho shot an glance towards Key while smirking. He gave a short and light hearted chortle before turning and leaving.

 

We got the job jonghyun!” Taemin jumped with the bag's bouncing in his hands. Jonghyun, unknowingly, ignored Taemin and rushed towards Melody and Key. Taemin felt offended at first but pushed the feeling aside when he saw the oddly determined look in Jonghun's eyes.

 

He's gone Key. You can let go of her now.” Jonghyun grabbed onto Key's shoulder and pulled him away from Melody. Key stared at him in shock as he let Jonghyun push him aside.

 

Taemin and Melody both shared confused glances as they watched the boy acting weirdly. Key and Jonghyun were silent for a moment as they stared daggers into each others eyes.

 

Jonghyun normally wouldn't challenge his friend in anything, but Melody's safety was another thing. The feral look Key had in his eyes worried Jonghyun more than he wanted to admit.

 

Key felt betrayed by his friend. Did Jonghyun not trust him? Despite how frenzied he felt, not once did a thought of killing Melody pass through his mind during the whole situation. In fact, he really could think of nothing but protecting Her. Granted, he didn't have any idea how how beastly he looked at the moment.

 

Okay, Key finally understood where Jonghyun was coming from and ended their staring contest. Key agreed that he was acting unruly but Jonghyun had to understand that Key needed to protect her. Not want, need.

 

Jonghyun nodded silently and gave an inward sigh of relief. He didn't think he could take another one of Key's punches.

 

Guys whats going on? I fell like I'm missing something?” Taemin asked suspiciously.

 

Nothing, Taemin,” Key answered before trying to changing the subject, “So, that guy was your new boss?”

 

Taemin nodded, dropping the subject hesitantly, “He's really nice to go out of his way and bring us our uniforms.”

 

I don't like him.” Key stated as he snatched the bag out of Taemin hands to observe the uniforms for himself. He held back his surprise when he saw the expensive material used for the ties.

 

Melody thought back to the moment she met the man, she wasn't sure if what she saw was her imagination or not. She didn't sense anything bad from him and he seemed pretty nice. Key's reaction however, couldn't be taken lightly.

 

What was up with you a minute ago?” Melody couldn't drop the issue like Taemin had.

 

It was nothing, Melody.” Key repeated. Melody felt anger rise in her. It was because of him her warm and beautiful day outside in the sun took a turn for the worst. She also didn't appreciate being pulled around like a doll or protected like a child. She did have her own powers.

 

Nothing? You never act like this. It has to be something?” Melody tried reasoning with him without letting her anger get the best of her. Anger wasn't exactly an emotion she was used to experiencing.

 

Please, Melody.” He begged, “I can't talk about it right now, I promise I'll tell you guys later once my demon calms down.”

 

Melody forgot her anger once Key mentioned the demon. She could only imagine the pain he was going through while dealing with it, “ Of course, I understand Key.”

 

Key shot a weak smile towards Melody and she responded with one of her own. Taemin, up until now had been rather silent because he still had no idea what was going on.

 

How about we head home? I think we all had enough excitement for today.” Jonghyun, always the keeper of the peace, offered.

 

Ya, I think I need some rest.” Key agreed as he headed towards Jonghyun's apartment. Taemin gave Melody an apologetic look before running off after Key. Melody nodded in understanding.

 

Are you okay Melody?” Jonghyun finally had the chance to ask.

 

Melody frowned before gazing up at Jonghyun. She shook her head, “I'm not sure, Jonghyun. I feel very confused and overwhelmed.”

 

Jonghyun could feel Melody's pain radiating off her. Her aura was starting to flicker back to life, somewhere between a deep purple and blue. He sighed to himself before forcing on a smile,

 

Then how about I make you something nice to eat for lunch?” Jonghyun offered, hoping this would help cheer her up.

 

Her aura flashed a bright yellow. Jonghyun beamed, content with making her happy.

 

Will you!?” Melody's mood immediately brightened. In her excitement she took a hold of Jonghyun's hand and began swinging it back and forth.

 

Of course I will, Melody.” Jonghyun answered as he was dragged back towards the apartment. He stared at their hands and a satisfied feeling bursted its way through Jonghyun's chest. It was then he decided that he always wanted to have this feeling.

 

Despite today's crazy situation and Key's admission, Jonghyun knew that his family would be okay. He would make sure both his and his family's feeling of happiness would remain a constant in his life.


A/N:

Hello (hello) Eveybody (everybody every-every body)!

-dubstep noises-

Anyway...Minho pops back in again! He plays a special role in this story and you have to wait until next chapter to figure out what!

For real real, not for play plays, I want to thank those readers who do follow along with this story (silent or not!). It means allot and I appreciate it. :D