Chapter 5: Bibimbap

Tales From Earth (Tales of the Human World)

For this sin you shall pay with the feathers from your back. The wisest elder echoed throughout the halls of the building as he sharpened his sword on the surface of a wet boulder. Her wing's flapped in a fury as she tried to escape the metal chains clamped around her ankles and wrists which bound her to the ground below.

 

If what I have done is to be considered a sin, than I shall take my punishment.” Melody responded harshly with scorn in her eyes. The audience looked on in both amusement and horror at the women flailing around in her cuffs.

 

It is well that you accept your punishment, as you should.” The elder finished sharpening his sword as the all too bright son glinted menacingly off the long blade. He glided towards her before raising his arm above her. The women growled beneath her breath as the chains that bound her tightened and pulled her closer to the ground. The elder then flew above her height and without another thought, brought the blade down on her back.

 

A grueling scream erupted from her as she felt her beloved wings cut away. The chains disappeared and in the next moment she fell. Although the pain was excruciating, the fear was far greater as she fell head first through the clouds and into a black abyss.

 

Melody?” A voice called her out of her reverie. Melody jumped in surprise which caused the tea she was holding to spill onto her gown. She yelped in pain as the hot substance seeped into her lap.

 

Ow! It burns!” Melody tried pulling the cloth away from her skin but she still felt the burning sensation on her leg.

 

Jonghyun followed after her quickly gathering a wet towel to lay upon her burn. She took it and all too gratefully placed it against her lap.

 

I told you it was hot.” Jonghyun scolded her as he cleaned up the rest of her spill. Melody frowned, not liking the new pain she had experienced.

 

I'm sorry, I was unable hear you.” Melody looked at her gown, saddened by the brown stain. A new edition to the bloodstains and rips her gown had already accumulated.

 

Where were you anyway?” Jonghyun asked.

 

What do you mean? I am right here? You see me, right?” Melody started questioning the man's sanity.

 

He shook his head, “ Of course, you were here physically but not mentally.”

 

Melody understood now but refused to answer while instead playing with the towel on her lap. Jonghyun observed this and decided not to press her. They sat in silence for awhile as Jonghyun took this chance to observe her.

 

First thing he noticed was how unruly her golden locks were as they fell around her, he wondered if having so much hair was normal for an angel or if she just didn't want to cut it. Not to mention the style of her clothes, it was nothing but a very long, tattered cloth, dressed about her.

After observing her for a bit, he realized how much skin was exposed due to the tears and holes in her dress. A large amount of her back was exposed due to the fact her wing's were usually in the way and a fair amount of leg exposed itself under what was left of the cloth around her thighs. Jonghyun could barely distinguish the original color of the cloth through the blood, grass and now tea stains that soaked through.

 

Melody tilted her head in question, “Jonghyun? Are you there?” She repeated his earlier question.

 

Jonghyun felt his cheeks warm slightly. He was worried if he was caught staring.

 

Ya, Im here.” Jonghyun responded, avoiding eye contact.

 

Melody smiled, “May I have more of that liquid? I would like to try it once more.”

 

Jonghyun didn't want to disappoint her by saying there wasn't anymore tea. So he did the second best thing. Jonghyun took out his phone and quickly dialed his friend's number. Melody watched in fascination as Jonghyun used the 'phone' she saw earlier.

 

Jonghyun felt her eyes on him and he suddenly felt very self conscious. With that weird revelation he then remembered that he didn't even brush his hair this morning. So with his free hand he subconsciously pulled his fingers through his hair while trying to pretend Melody's curious eyes didn't bother him in the least.

 

Hello?” Key answered rather angrily.

 

Am I bothering you?” Jonghyun didn't really care. They bothered him enough at work.

 

No, Its just that Taemin is- Taemin! I said quit it!” Key shouted causing Jonghyun to pull his phone away from his ear. Melody shrunk back slightly.

 

What is he doing?” Jonghyun was almost scared to ask.

 

Key sighed loudly before responding, “He was so excited about Melody that he's cooking a meal for her.”

 

Jonghyun's eyes went wide. Taemin and sharp utensils did not mix well together. Its not that he wasn't a good cook, in fact he was great but he turns the kitchen upside down in the process. However, this worked out great for Jonghyun.

 

Well, that works because Melody and I are starving.” Jonghyun said, “How long until you're over.”

 

Key swore under his breath, “ you, Jonghyun.” Then hung up.

 

Jonghyun rolled his eyes, “ Key and Taemin will be over in a while to bring some food.” He was thankful that he didn't have to go and spend money he didn't have. Usually, he just wouldn't eat if he didn't have the cash but with Melody here, he didn't have a choice anymore.

 

Melody's eyes lit up and Jonghyun swore the aura around her brightened. He smiled towards her in response before his gaze slipped back down to the exposed area of her thighs revealing silky, porcelain skin.

 

He immediately brought his gaze back up, took out his phone and re-dialed key.

 

What!” Key answered almost immediately.

 

And bring over some clothes for Melody.” Jonghyun requested before Key humphed and hung up.

 

Jonghyun let out a relieved breath. Problem solved.

 

Jonghyun?” Melody called him as she stared blatantly at his phone, “May I see that device you are holding?”

 

Jonghyun looked at his phone once before handing it over to her.

 

You don't have these in your...world?” Jonghyun wasn't sure where she came from. As far as he knew she lived some where up in the clouds but he wouldn't be very surprised if she was from another planet or something.

 

No! We have no such thing.” Melody turned the phone in her hands looking at all the sides.

 

Then how do you communicate when you are far away from each other?”

 

We simply call out to them and they respond.” Melody never questioned the way her people spoke to one another before. She noticed that Jonghyun seemed confused so she decided to elaborate, “If I need to talk to my father, for example, I simply search for his aura and call out to him.”

 

Your aura? That's that glow around you right?” Jonghyun pointed around her figure.

 

Melody felt elated, “ My aura! You see it?” She dropped the phone and turned her attention to Jonghyun and stared at him intently. Jonghyun nodded a bit put off by her sudden change in mood.

 

See, it's glowing even brighter now.” Jonghyun decided it must glow this way when she is happy.

 

This is glorious! This may mean I can communicate with my family!” Melody closed her eyes and pulled clasped hands to her chest. She held completely still as Jonghyun watched her aura flicker between bright and dim. After a few moments it went dark and she opened her eyes once more. Her hands then dropped into her lap in defeat.

 

No one is responding...” Melody's teal colored eyes began to fill with tears as she buried herself in her hair.

 

Jonghyun was at a loss of what to do. He saw her shoulders begin to shake as her hands moved up to cover her eyes. Jonghyun panicked for a moment, looking all around the room for an idea of what to do. He figured the best option was to let her be, but then he heard a small whine escape. He sighed and slumped his shoulders before moving next to her on the bed. He awkwardly put his hands around her shoulder, making sure to avoid her bandaged wings, and pulled her into his chest. She began to sob louder once she was in his arms and he wondered if he did something wrong because of this.

 

She dropped her hands to his chest and pulled on the cloth in a vice-like grip. He took that as a good sign. Now that he was more comfortable with the situation, he moved his hand towards her head and began to gently yet awkwardly pet it.

 

As her tears began to slow, Jonghyun felt relief. He couldn't even imagine what this women was going through as he held her. He felt nothing but pity and he quickly came to realize that he didn't like when she cried. An angel shouldn't have to bear this burden.

 

It was then jonghyun came to a decision that he didn't even realize himself yet.

 

They were interrupted by a pounding on the door. Melody jumped at the sudden sound and pulled back startled. Jonghyun observed her hands still grasping his shirt. He then gently removed them and moved to stand. Melody gave him a worried look.

 

Don't worry, its just Key and Taemin.” Jonghyun assured her as he watched the girl wipe her eyes.

Her face was beat red and marked with tears. Jonghyun didn't like seeing that look on her face and wasn't sure why. What he did know, however, was what would make her happy.

 

They brought food.” He announced as he left the room. Melody's aura seem to come back to life with his words and her sniffling stopped.

 

That right.” Melody remembered as a smile came to her face. She was thankful for the distraction Key and Taemin would give her.

 

Jonghyun!” Key yelled while banging on the door.

 

Melody!” Taemin called behind him. Jonghyun smiled at Melody before heading to the front door. Melody followed him closely.

 

Finally” Key sighed as Jonghyun opened the door, “Here take this.”

 

Jonghyun, without complaint, accepted the box and let Key walk inside. Taemin followed behind him with a bag of his own.

 

Hey, Melody!” Taemin smiled and walked over to her. Melody smiled as she greeted the men at the door.

 

I made you my specialty.” Taemin announced as he held the bag up for Melody to see. Her interest peaked as her eyes followed Taemin's bag into the kitchen. She watched as he sat the bag down and removed its contents.

 

It's called Bibimbap.” Taemin introduced the food as he opened the tupperware for Melody to observe.

 

You made this for me?” Melody questioned.

 

He opened the tupperware slowly and watched as Melody's eyes lit up.

 

Wow! This looks delicious.” Melody felt herself began to salivate. A word she wasn't familiar with until seeing the dish Taemin presented.

 

Let's eat already. Im starving” Key stated before grabbing a pair of chopsticks and digging into one of the tupperware. The rest quickly followed suit.

 

You really need to get some chairs, Jonghyun.” Key complained as he situated himself on the floor, “And a table wouldn't hurt.”

 

Jonghyun chose to ignore Key's comment and continued to eat.

 

How does it taste, Melody?” Taemin pointed to her plate but was surprised when he instead saw Melody stabbing the food with the chopsticks. Taemin had to hold in his laughter as he watched Melody bring to the plate so that the piece of meat wouldn't slip back into the bowl. Taemin lost it when she started to stare at the chopsticks with killer intent.

 

H-here. I'll show you how to do it. ” Taemin finally spoke up between laughs,

 

You have to hold the chopsticks like this.” Taemin told her as he showed Melody an example with his own hands. Melody tried but failed.

 

No. Like this.” Taemin pulled her hand into his and show her directly how to hold the chopsticks. Melody stared at their hands in awe as she watched the chopstick open and close.

 

Taemin turned towards Melody to congratulate her but instead froze when he realized how close she was to him. Although, he couldn't see anything but her unruly golden hair in his view, he felt her intense warmth and inviting scent radiating off her which Taemin found attractive. He felt his heart skip a beat before he dropped her hands quickly and moved back into his position on the floor.

 

I think I got it.” Melody experimented with her new technique as she grabbed a piece of meat and brought it to . A look of pure bliss covered her face as she savored the taste.

 

This is delicious!” Melody spoke with full as she went for another bite.

 

Taemin smiled happily towards her, trying to ignore the pounding of  his heart before returning to his own food, “Make sure you eat allot.”

 

Melody's azure colored eyes met Taemin's unknowingly infatuated gaze and she nodded happily in response. Taemin felt his face flush as he struggled to swallow what was in his mouth. He ended up coughing violently and pounding his chest to clear it.

 

You okay, Taemin?” Key looked at him worried.

 

Y-yes,” Taemin felt like hiding in embarrassment, “Just went down the wrong side, I guess.”

 

Key nodded before going back to his own meal. Taemin spared one last glance towards Melody, hoping she didn't see his awkward spectacle. Thankfully, he found her completely engrossed in her meal which oddly caused Taemin's heart to skip one last odd beat.


A/N: YAAAY! Oh my gosh, I had to re-read this an annoying amount of times because half way through I started replacing Melody's name with a character from my other story. I really hope I didn't miss any xD I'll re-read it later to see.

Anyway! We got to learn a little bit more about Melody and we got to see a bit more of the guy's personalities! Yay! Stuffs just gettin' ta be good! :D