Chapter 5: You are messing with the wrong person!

Drowning in Silence

“Myungsoo! You’re next!” one of the waitstaffs called me, which means the performer before me is about to finish his/her piece.

“Okay. Thank you, seonbae.”

He nodded, then left the door open.

Before going out, I removed my black vest and tie, untucked my body-fitted white long-sleeve buttoned shirt, undo the first two buttons, and then ruffled my bangs upward for the finishing touch. I stared on the whole body mirror for a few seconds, checking if I look more like of an adult.

“This will do.” I said to myself, then finally went out with my alto saxophone on hand.

While walking towards the backstage, I heard the last part of the familiar song from Patti Austin with a piano accompaniment, followed by a series of applauses. After the performance, the emcee thanked the musician, and then called out the next performer—which is me.

I run into a woman in a long dress, so I gathered she’s the one who was on stage earlier. She appears to be in her early 20s (though I’m pretty sure she’s not because of her obvious heavy make-up and probably plastic surgery here and there) and I remembered that she is a regular performer and customer in my uncle’s restaurant. “Oh…so you’re next, Myungsoo?” She asked me, or more like…purred the question.

I simply nodded, and passed by her. 

But before I did, she s her manicured fingers on my arm to get my attention. “Break a leg, honey~” She said with a wink. I almost winced with her evident show of interest on me. Almost. And thank God I prevented myself from doing so, or else she might report it on my uncle.

I nodded again and muttered a “Thank you.” before casually brushing off her hand and walked my way—this time a little bit faster—towards the stage.

“Finally!” Announced the emcee before whispering to me, “What took you so long?” I mumbled an apology before he patted my shoulder on understanding. He faced the audiences/guests. “Let us give a round of applause for our young and handsome and the last performer for tonight! Kim Myungsoo, with his cover piece from J.Thompson—Real Quick Lovin!

They followed the emcee and clapped their hands, apparently giving me a kind of encouragement. There are some new faces but most are patrons so most of them have heard me played during this past few months. Still, they must be thinking I looked nervous because of my inexperience. But the truth is, I don’t feel an ounce of nervousness the moment I stepped on stage. I don’t really understand it myself but it’s a fact I’m quite thankful for because I haven’t messed up a recital even once.

I sat on the prepared high stool which is located in the middle of the stage, with the band at the back. When I was settled on my seat, I closed my eyes, breathe deeply and then start playing my piece. My whole focus is on the sound created and the feel of my fingers by this wonderful brass instrument. The sound from my alto saxophone, together with the light beat of drums and cymbals resonated throughout the whole place. I may be fully absorbed to my playing, but I sometimes partially opened my eyes to stare at the audiences, seemingly pulling them further within the image I want to portray with my music. It always works, and it shows by the copious emotions appearing on their faces. When I was finished, it took quite a moment before the room is filled with applauses, some even stand by their seats to give me more praises. I smiled and bowed at them, giving my thanks for appreciating my performance.

This time again, I wasn’t feeling anxious while playing my piece. And once more, I’m thankful for this. But as I was leaving the stage to go back on the employees’ room,—and receiving compliments from the staffs along the way—sometimes I can’t help but to think that there is something wrong with me. Is it really possible for someone to not feel nervous while facing a group of people you do not know, or haven’t had the chance to meet yet? Is holding my favorite instrument really boost up my self-confidence? Am I so sure of myself that I looked down on people so I don’t feel nervous at all? They both seem possible but it only concludes that I am an arrogant person deep down, so I scratched that because I cannot accept those reasons. But really…what is wrong with me?


(Sunggyu’s P.o.V.…Before the meeting...)

“Kim Sunggyu. I need to speak with you.”

Dongwoo and I was about to leave the classroom to eat lunch, when someone called me. My friend beside me looks tense when I lazily turned my head to look at him. “What does the great Mr. Student Council President want with me?”

Our classmates, seemingly sensing the dark atmosphere, hastily leave the classroom—even the ones who started eating their lunchbox.

“You cannot talk to me like that after hearing my reason for spending my precious time to talk to you, Leader-nim.”

I can’t help the snarl that left my mouth. He smirked at my obvious irritation which was of course, caused by him. “So what do you want? I also do not have time to hear your endless blabbering. My lunch is waiting.”

“Very well. I’ll make this quick, for you that is.”

I raised an eyebrow.

“I will invite one of your members to be part of the Student Council, and I will make him leave your puny club when he accepted my offer.”

My brow creased. “What do you mean ‘leave’? It’s not in the school’s rule book that someone who accepted to be on Student Council will have to renounce ship on his club.” I crossed my arms to my chest.

He frowned. “It sounds to me that you don’t seemed to be against your club-members being a part of our organization.” He said matter-of-factly, and with a little bit of contempt.

“I’m not really as narrow-minded as you think I am. I know that landing a position on Student Council is an asset for college applications.” I gave him an appraising look. “But I don’t understand why they have to leave my club, or puny club as you put it.”

 “So why didn’t you accept the position of President?” Resentment is clearly shown on his face now. “I was only supposed to be the Vice President but you conceitedly refused the position like it was nothing!”

“Don’t answer my question with a question.” I stared at him, but still showing my lack of interest. “Because you look like you badly wanted the position, so I gave it to you.” I saw him gritted his teeth. “You initially befriended me so you could be the VP, but instead of thanking me for what I’ve done for your sake, you made it look like I’m the bad guy. Now, who do you think is the conceited one here?”

“What the hell are you saying? I made friends with you so I could be the Vice President?! I truly thought of you as my friend! But then what? You throw it away when you—!”

“Besides,” I purposely cut him off. “I don’t need the position for my college application. My grades and school performance are more than enough as credentials.” I sighed when he just glared at me. “So let’s get back to business. Why do they have to leave my club?”

With that, he seems to recover his composure. Then slowly, his mouth formed into a smile—sardonic smile. “Don’t you at least want to know first whom I’d like to invite?”

I frowned and inwardly shuddered. That smile. There is something on that mocking smile of his. “What do you mean who?”

His smile turned into a smirk. “I want Kim Myungsoo to join my Student Council.”

I heard a gasp from Dongwoo—I actually forgot that he was there. I want to apologize for forgetting his presence but there is more important matter on hand. “Why him? Why Myungsoo?”

He tilted his head to the side—mocking me further. “I thought you are fine with your members joining our organization?”

“I…” I clenched my fist. “…I am fine with it. As long as…he won’t leave my club…”

“But his intelligence and talents are wasted there. Your club won’t even participate in any events.”

“Because you didn’t accept any of my proposals.”

“Because they are not good enough.” He spat back.

“Can you still say that when you easily accepted my proposals for this class?”

He went silent.

So I just wait for his answers, but instead….

“Anyway, he has certain charms that can only work or truly shines if he’s part of the main organization on this school—which is the Student Council.”

“You mean he’s very good-looking so you want to use him as some kind of a mascot to increase your organization’s popularity and ratings.”

He smirked, then crossed his arms. “We have plenty of that on the Student Council.” My eyebrow twitch. “Though I’ll say that it’s one of his charms. But his charisma is centered with his outward cold attitude, when the truth is he just can’t trust people easily.”

“Huh? Is that something good?”

“Tsk. Tsk. I didn’t know you are this naïve when you fondly call yourself as genius.” This time, I am the one doing the glaring. He saw my reaction so his smirk grew. “Why of course! It’s a good thing! Someone who don’t trust people easily is a good quality of a leader. It means you will learn how to be more cautious around other people or that you will watch out everything that comes out of your mouth and your every action. But the most important thing is, that you will be more rational when taking other people’s opinions. So, isn’t it a good thing?”

“Hn. You might be getting the wrong idea here.”

He frowned. “What do you mean?’

“It’s not that he can’t trust other people easily. He’s just your average shy-type and easily embarrassed kind of guy so he’s not someone who will approach other people on his own. You need to come straight to him personally before he can give you a second glance. That’s what he is, so don’t give me that load of crap about the qualities of a good leader.”

“You might be the one who is being delusional here. Don’t force your ideals on him or to others when you don’t even know everything about him.”

“Delusional? Ideals? I’ve known his past and what he has been through! You haven’t even spoken to him yet!”

“Well, that’s true. But I’ve researched about him and it may seem to you that you know everything, except for…well...not really everything.

“What…what do you mean…?”

He shrugged. “It looks like no matter what I say, you won’t approve my request in regards with Kim Myungsoo. So I—”

“It’s not even a request.” I cut him but he ignored it.

“—have a proposition.”

“What is it this time?”

“You will participate in the upcoming Cultural Festival. And with that, the Student Council officially challenge whatever your entry is. The entry who has more profit or customers—in short, the one who will be announced as the overall winner of the event will get Kim Myungsoo as prize.”

“What the—?!” I almost cursed.

Dongwoo was equally shocked.

“You will resort to something like this? So now you are saying you will accept any of my club’s proposals?”

“Hmm…I guess we can add that. After all, this is our last year on this school so we might as well enjoy it to the fullest. In the case of: one of our entry won, or both side lose, your puny club’s activities will resume, and I will accept any of your proposals. And to add more to that, if and only if you miraculously won, I won’t ask Kim Myungsoo anymore to join the Student Council and will leave your club alone.”

“And you will increase our club budget.” I added.

“Tsk. As if you needed the school’s budget when you have the director as your father.” He begrudgingly said.

But I have more grudge. “Because you are holding our budget, saying we’re not doing anything good for the school. Besides, I can’t always ask money from him you know. I still have my pride.”

 “You and your pride.” I heard him mutter. “Fine. I will not hold your club’s budget and will increase it by 5%.”

“50%!”

“What?! Where did that come from?”

“Okay, 45!”

“No! 10%!”

“40!”

“15!”

“This is your last chance Mr. President! 35%!”

“No can do Leader-nim! 30% and that’s final!” His eyes grew large, as if he can’t believe what he just said.

“Approve! You heard that, Jang Dongwoo-ssi? They will increase our budget by 30%! 30%!”

“Loud and clear!”

“Damn! I can’t believe you got me there!” He gritted his teeth again, but still tried to compose himself. “But that is, if and only if you won, which is quite impossible with the number of good entries we received from each class and other clubs.”

“So you’re not confident with your entry, eh?” I mocked.

He didn’t grab my provocation. “A good leader always has a plan B, all the way to Z if possible.”

 “So that’s it? Can we finally eat our lunch now?” I glanced at my watch. “Damn, only 15 minutes!”

“That’s it.” He finalized.

“Okay.” I said, then walk my way towards the door which I notice is packed with spectators. I inwardly cursed. So for the finale, I glanced back to the SC President. “I’ll send you the written contract tomorrow morning so be sure to sign it with the current VP and treasurer. Also,” I smirked. “Make sure to ready the financial papers for increasing our budget.” Before turning away, I clearly saw his rage. Ha! Take that for thoroughly insulting me!

When we are out of the classroom, and now walking at the hallway, I glanced at my friend who look happy and worried at the same time. “Don’t worry Dongwoo. I’ll make sure we will win this. We can’t just give Myungsoo away like he’s a damn thing. That bastard President will pay for his insults and insensitivity.”

He merely nodded. I can understand his worries, but I can’t possibly back out now.

“Dongwoo, mail all the members. We will have an urgent meeting this afternoon.”

“Roger that.”

“We’re at war.”

 …


(Waaah!!! I can’t believe I finished this chapter in one sitting! I must really have the strong urge to update so I sacrificed my sleep for this. Anyway, I deeply apologized for the delay. I am honestly super busy because of my thesis and in accomplishing all my requirements so I could graduate.

Regarding this chapter, for those who read my Author’s Note on the previous chapter, I said I will reveal the identity of the SC President here. Unfortunately, it’s already dawn so I needed the much needed sleep I required. Also, I’m still finding the courage before I can reveal his identity because some of you might hate it. So I would like to tell you beforehand that the SC President is not entirely at fault here. He is a good guy deep down and I will quote a line from Naruto: “Two opposing things can create all things when working together.” That’s why please be patient about it.  

One last important thing! Can you picture L’s playing?! Because I totally did, I almost drool! *cough* Anyway, his past is a bit complicated—or shall I say, a bit cliché? Well some of you might think of it because I’m starting to and I can’t possibly change his past even if I wanted to. It’s set on stone so I can’t change it. Maybe I’ll try it to my soon-to-be stories? Hopefully.

P.S. Sorry and thank you for those who find time to read my drabbles. I just want to share my thoughts and well…complaints about everything. And thank you so much for those who read, subscribe, vote and comment to this amateurish story of mine! I really, really, appreciate it! I’m still getting the hang of it on this site but one thing does not change, I’m a er for reviews, comments and suggestions~! Ahahaha~ Who doesn’t? I find it comforting and encouraging when I read comments about my works so I will be forever grateful if you leave a comment (narcissistic much? XD)

Then~ See you next chapter~

P.S.S. Some of the readers were asking me who my bias is because they thought it’s L. So I’ll tell you this (just for sharing purposes): my ultimate bias is KIM SUNGGYU. I love L (so much), and well everyone in Infinite of course, but Leader-Gyu is the one for me. I’m not being possessive okay? We’re all Inspirits here~ Love lots~)