Chapter 2: A Sudden Announcement

Drowning in Silence

“Yo!”

A frown made its way to my forehead. I was walking leisurely towards the school cafeteria because I forgot my lunchbox when a guy, noticeably older than me, blocked my path.

“You’re Kim Myung Soo, right?”

‘Who the hell are you? Don’t mess with me when I’m hungry’. Is what I want to say but I remembered my mother’s teachings to be polite, even with strangers so I didn’t. “Isn’t it a common courtesy to state your name first before asking someone else’s?” Still, I can’t help but to sound a little rude… It’s not my fault though…

“Oh. Yeah, right. Sorry ‘bout that. I thought you already knew about me.” He laughed.

“Huh? Why would I know you? Weirdo.” I walked past him but he grabbed my arm so I stopped on my tracks and looked back at him. “What’s your problem?” I gritted my teeth to control myself from punching him.

“Damn brat! I told you I was sorry! You don’t have to be this rude!”

“I’m not being ru—”

“I’m Kim Sung Gyu.”

“W-What?”

He removed his hand from my arm, then offered it in a handshake. “I’m Kim Sung Gyu. You asked me to state my name right?”

“Oh… yeah. Myungsoo… first year, from class B…” I accepted his handshake.

“Sunggyu. Third year, class A. Nice to meet you.”

“Uh…same here…seonbae…”


Silence…again…

Why is it that, when the two of us are alone, I can’t start a proper, smooth conversation? All the more crack a simple joke? Is it because he’s older than me? No, probably not the reason. I can speak normally to Sungyeol-hyung and I laughed with Dongwoo-hyung. Maybe because…this is the first time we’re alone together in this room? Ah…no…it’s the second time…

Dear God, why was I born timid?

“Myungsoo?”

“W-What?”

“Nothing. It’s because you’re back again with the same position so I thought your mind is somewhere else again.”

“…”

“Why don’t you eat? I placed the new groceries on the cupboard and the drinks on the refrigerator this morning.”

“I’m not hungry…”

“What?! You?! Not hungry?! Since when?!”

I burst into laughter when I saw his reaction. He stood too quickly, like a blur, leaving the book he’s reading ‘plopped’ on the carpeted floor. And his facial expression? Horrified. “You’re exaggerating hyung.”

He calmed himself. “I’m not. It’s just that, I always stock-up every three days because you always inhale the food here whenever it’s available.” He smirked.

“Because it’s free.” I laughed again. Oh… I can laugh…like it’s a normal thing…

He laughed, too. “Yeah, yeah.”

Then my laugh slowly turned into a smile.

It looks like he noticed it so he halted his laugh and stared at me.

Unexpectedly, we then engage into a staring competition. I want to turn my head away from him so badly but it was frozen to place. What is happening…?

“Hya!”

I blinked. Sunggyu-hyung, too. Then we looked in the direction of the door simultaneously.

“Huh? What are you two doing?” said the newly arrived member, Sungyeol-hyung.

“N-NOTHING!” We also said simultaneously, so we can’t help but to look at each other, then burst into laughter.

“Weirdos.” He then leave his bag on the sofa and made his way to the kitchenette.

When the laugh died down, I followed him on the kitchenette, then leaned on the counter-top. “Why did you only arrive here now hyung?”

“Huh? Oh.” He was busy grinding the coffee beans, but answered me anyway. “I was assigned on cleaning duty today so I was so hungry.”

“So you went here for free food and drinks.” Said Sunggyu-hyung who started reading his book again.

“Exactly. So please give me food and coffee, hyung.”

“Said the one who’s already munching my supplies and making his own coffee.”

I snickered with that, because hyung is already eating a Chocopie while brewing his coffee. “Give me one of that too, hyung.” I asked while reaching out my hands.

“I thought you’re not hungry?”

“What?! L?! Not hungry?! Since when?!”

“What the—? Why are you all exaggerating?”

“Because obviously, L, you’re always hungry~”

“Okay, okay. I’ll get it myself.” I glanced at Sunggyu-hyung. “I just can’t resist.”

“Are you going to the clubroom today, Sungjong?” We are currently eating lunch at the rooftop. My lunchbox was made by my mom, while his was made by himself.

“Yeah. I don’t have cram school today. What happened yesterday? Did Sunggyu-hyung announced anything?”

“Nah.”

“Well…it’s always the same.”

“Yeah... Same old, same old.”

“Why did we joined the club again?”

Me? Do I have to answer…? “Wasn’t it because of the clubroom…?” It’s not like I’m lying…

“Oh! That’s right! It’s the second week of school and I’m still undecided what club I’ll be in because there’s a lot of clubs here.”

“Didn’t the Home Economics Club followed you everyday at that time?”

“Yeah… But I don’t want to join that club… because…”

“Because…?” Huh? Oh, right. Maybe I know the reason. “Wait. You don’t have to answer if it’s hard for you.”

“It’s not hard for me hyung! Why are you saying that?!” He glared at me. “It’s just that…it’s…it’s embarrassing!”

I laughed at his outburst. “I apologized for my rudeness.” I said jokingly.

“Okay, okay. I know what you’re thinking. And you’re right. Because I don’t want to be think of as girly! I’m a guy!”

“You don’t have to shout. I can see that you’re a guy.”

“But others think otherwise! Even Woohyun-hyung mistakenly thought of me as a cross-dresser when we first met and flirted with me!” He put down his lunchbox and hugged himself like he’s shivering (from goosebumps).  

“What about me being mistaken?” Someone opened the door, more than one person’s footsteps can be heard ascending the stairs and entering through the door.

“Woohyun-hyung… Tsk.” He then picked up his lunchbox and continue eating like he didn’t see anyone entering.

“Hoya-hyung and Sungyeol-hyung? You’re also here?”

“I was certain Woohyun-hyung is with his girlfriend. Didn’t expect the three of you will come here together when you’re in different classes.”

“Oh~ That? We broke up yesterday.”

Me and Sungjong glanced at each other. We’re probably thinking the same thing: Again…?

Hoya-hyung answered for them. “It’s a coincidence actually. The three of us met at the cafeteria to buy lunch, then decided to eat our lunch here.”

“We didn’t know you’re also eating here.” Said Sungyeol-hyung who sat beside me like it’s the most normal thing to do in the world. The other two followed, but sat across us.

"We only eat here when the weather's good."

“So what were you two talking about?”

We glanced at each other again.

Sungjong answered for us. “Nothing special. Just talking about why on earth did we decided to join the Cultural Studies Club when there’s a lot more meaningful and enjoyable clubs in this school.”

“Hahaha! We were talking about that too on the way here!” Sungyeol-hyung burst into laughter while violently slapping my back.

I hope it won’t start a bruise… Is my wishful thinking.

“You know that we can’t talk about that in front of Sunggyu-hyung.”

“Yeah. Definitely not.” Sungjong seconded Hoya-hyung.

“We will get killed on-spot.” Woohyun-hyung followed.

Silence. As if we’re agreeing the same thing. Then the rooftop was suddenly filled with laughter.

Sungyeol-hyung broke the laughter. “But seriously. Our club doesn’t do anything. We are called “Cultural Studies Club” but we’re not even participating during Cultural Festival. What’s with that?”

“I heard from Dongwoo-hyung that Sunggyu-hyung said it’s a pain in the to participate in any event as a club especially when he’s also the one who’s managing their class’ events as their representative.” Hoya-hyung said like he’s reporting something top-secret because he motioned us to come closer. “On the contrary, I heard from a seonbae that he was supposed to be the Student Council President on his second year but gave the position to the current SC President like it’s nothing special! That’s why the current President hate him so much he disapproved any proposals Sunggyu-hyung submitted for our club activities.”

“WHAT?!” We’re definitely shocked by this info.

“Is that information reliable?!” Sungyeol-hyung gripped his shoulder.

“Of course. It came from the SC Secretary. He’s my seonbae since middle school.”

But wait… “What about his class? Isn’t he the representative? They can participate in the events, right?”

Woohyun-hyung answered for us. “Because the Student Council President and Sunggyu-hyung are classmates.”

“Oh…that’s why he can’t cancel hyung’s proposals. Because their classmates admires Sungyu-hyung as their leader, he can’t go against his class’ wishes even though he’s the SC President.”

“I kinda pity the SC President.”

“You don’t have to pity someone like him Jongie. He’s rotten. Because of him, we can’t participate in any event and show-off!!!”

“You’re the rotten one.” Sungjong ignored him until the rest of the lunch break.

“Let’s go Sungjong.”

“What do you think will he announce L-hyung?”

End of class so we’re on our way to the clubroom. “I’m not sure. He rarely announces anything.”

 “It’s also the first time he required all of us to attend during club-hours.”

Yeah…I wonder what it will be… We arrived at the clubroom. When we entered, the five hyungs are already present.

“So we’re all here. Sit down everyone.” He motioned us to sit on the meeting area.

Why so serious? I glanced at Dongwoo-hyung who looks like he’s having a cold sweat and worried about something. I also gaze at the others. They are just sitting still (like me) and no one dare to ask what this is all about. Thankfully, Sunggyu-hyung broke the silence. But not the words any of us wish to hear.

“We’re going on a battle.”

Yeah. Definitely not. Who wish to go to a battle when we’re not even starting with our mandatory military service? But what he said next definitely piques our interest.

“We’ll be preparing for the Cultural Festival this year.”

(Here’s the second chapter~! I wrote this for three hours and submitted this without checking so I apologize if there are wrong spellings and grammatical errors. By the way! the first part of this chapter, the one written on italicize text? They are bits of their past. I will slowly reveal it on every chapter so please bear with me. Then~! See you next chapter~! Oh! And please leave a comment if you have time so I will know your insights about this story and chapter. Thank you~)