Chapter 4: I'm the Reason?

Drowning in Silence

Chapter 4: I'm the Reason?

“Eomma?” I was still holding the knob of our house’s main door when I entered, then I saw my mother sitting on a kneeling form in the hallway. I quickly went to her side and hugged her, knowing that she’s crying…again… “That bastard was here again? What did he want from us this time?” She didn’t say anything and just continue sobbing in my arms, so I stopped asking.

When she calmed down, she thanked me then stand up and went directly to the kitchen. I followed her because I know she’ll tell me what happened. She calmly started cooking, though I know otherwise.

“Your abeoji…” I frowned at the mention of that name. “…he said he needed money…”

“That again?! That’s twice this month!” I saw her flinched so I tried my best to calm myself. “Why does he always look for money to us when he left us years ago? For all I know, he will only give it to his woman.” She stopped chopping. I said too much again… Damn… I sighed. “I’m going to my part-time job.” I was on my way to leave the kitchen when she stopped me.

“Aren’t you going to eat dinner first?”

“I’ll eat later.” I made my way to my room. I entered, dropped my bag on the study table, and then fished out my smartphone and wallet in my school bag to transfer it on another bag along with my work’s uniform. The last thing I need to do is to grab a large case beside my bed and I’m now ready to go.

My younger brother entered the house when I was about to open the entrance’s door. “Work?”

“Yeah. I’ll be back at ten.” I said before going out of the house.

“Take care, hyung…”

I only nodded.

The place I’m working at is a Jazz-themed restaurant which is packed during the evening because of the live performances. I worked here as a bartender and sometimes as a waitstaff when they are short on people. It’s not actually possible to work here since I’m a minor but my uncle—my mother’s younger brother— owns this place so he accepted when I applied to work here on my second year of middle school (around the time when our father left us).

“Myungsoo.”

I paused from what I’m doing—which is polishing a martini glass. “Yes, owner?” I’m not allowed to call him ‘ahjusshi’ during work hours.

“One of the performers couldn’t make it today so you can take his place.” He smiled, knowing that performing on stage is what I do best.

I smiled back. “Thank you, sir.” I bowed slightly and he returned it with a nod.

I went back to the employees’ locker room to get the large case. I opened it and grabbed what’s inside…a gold-colored alto saxophone. It’s the first thing (aside from magic) which I became thoroughly interested at. So when I entered middle school, my parents gave it to me. I played and played for a whole year on my own. But I stopped playing when our father left us, because the saxophone reminds me of him. I was about to quit entirely on my third year of middle school but my uncle stopped me, saying I can’t waste my talent for such trivial things like parents’ separation and told me I should perform on his stage. I got mad at him of course, but then, he forced me to play in front of his customers. I didn’t want to at first but I also didn’t want my ahjusshi’s precious customers to be disappointed—and I owe him a lot—so I played. At that time, I felt their eyes on me but I’m not nervous at all. I’m a timid and easily embarrassed type of person but when I’m on that stage, it’s like I can do anything. I enjoyed playing in front of people and I’m happy that they enjoyed it, too. I smiled at the bittersweet memory.

“Myungsoo! You’re next!” one of the waitstaffs called me.

“Okay. Thank you, seonbae.”


“We have one goal. To defeat the Student Council’s entry!”

“WHAT?!” Yeah. We’re shocked. Who wouldn’t?

“Why would we challenge them?!” Sungyeol-hyung flail his hands in his outburst.

Sunggyu-hyung glared at him. “We won’t. ‘Coz they are the ones who challenged us.”

“Why did the Student Council challenged a school club?” The maknae who looks calmer than all of us asked.

Dongwoo-hyung answered for him. “Well, technically, the Student Council is also a school club. Only, it’s a gathering of our school’s student leaders so they have certain privileges. They challenged us because…” He paused and glanced at our hyung. “…well….” He just scratched his nape when Sunggyu-hyung glared at him. So much for answering…

The leader slammed his hands on the table, drawing our attention. “That does not matter. We should come up with an entry that could beat the others, especially the SC. I propose a Quiz Game.”

“What?! We know that you’re a genius but that’s boring!” Sungyeol-hyung flinched when the leader frowned at him.

Our hyung folded his arms. “So what do you suggest?”

“A Horror Booth!”

“Tsk. Hey brat. May I remind you that we only have seven people?”

“At least it’s not boring….” He mumbled.

The throwing of suggestions continued, though I didn’t participate because I don’t have anything to propose. Well, I do have something I want to say but I’m sure they won’t approve (a Magic Show…yeah…lame…).

Then the maknae suggested. “What about a café?”

Woohyun-hyung stands up from his seat. “That’s genius Jongie!” he gave him a thumbs up which was returned by a rolled of eyes. “A Host Club Café!”

“HUH?” What’s with that?!

“Hyung. That’s the dumbest idea I’ve ever heard.”

I think so too…

“It’s not! It makes sense you know! Because all of us here are good-looking~!”

“That does make sense.” Hoya-hyung agreed.

We all looked at Sunggyu-hyung who’s holding his chin, like he’s thinking of something. “Well, I think a café is not a bad idea because we have Sungjong here who is a great cook.” The maknae beamed with the compliment. “A host club café…” He raised an eyebrow to Woohyun-hyung. “I think that’s also not a bad idea because we have Woohyun here who loves girls.” The heart-machine grinned while doing an aegyo. It’s a compliment for him… “Though we can add a certain theme if we’re gonna do it. I propose a Joseon Dynasty theme since we’re the Cultural Studies Club. What do you say?” He glanced at me.

Why me? “If hyung approved of it, then I think that’s a good idea.” The others also nodded in approval.

“So we’re doing a cosplay?” Sungyeol-hyung perked.

“Hmm…that’s pretty much the idea. We can’t portray a Joseon Dynasty themed host club if we’re not going to dress up. We will also design this room that’s connected to the theme. Any more questions?”

We all shake our heads.

“Good. We will have a meeting again tomorrow, same time. I will then inform you you’re designations. That’s all for today. Dismiss.”

“Dongwoo-hyung!” I called out and started walking beside him. We’re on our way to the bus stop.

“L? What’s wrong?”

“Uh…can I talk to you?”

“Sure. What is it?”

We walked a few more steps before I spoke. “Do you know what’s up with Sunggyu-hyung today?”

He jolted. “Wh-What about him?” He anxiously repositioned his large and heavy-looking backpack on his shoulders. I always wonder what’s inside of it but that does not matter now. I have more important things to think about.

“Don’t play dumb, hyung.” I raised an eyebrow at him. He then turned away to look straight ahead. “I know you know that there’s something weird with Sunggyu-hyung today. Why else would he tell us to participate in the Cultural Festival when you didn’t even participate last year and in any events?” Besides…he looked at me weirdly…

“Y-You should ask him yourself…”

“We both know he won’t tell me and the others. I’m sure you know what’s up because you’re with him at school most of the time.” I stopped in front of him. “Hyung, please?” It’s not in my personality to beg but this one’s important.

He stared at me, then heaved a heavy sigh. “I’m not really sure if I should be the one to tell you this but…it’s actually about you.”

“What? What about me?”

He paused, like he’s thinking if he should tell me. He sighed again. “You’re the reason why the Student Council challenged us in the Cultural Festival...”


(Yey~! I finally finished this chapter in one go! Sorry if I took quite long to update. College’s a drag but I have to study and go to school especially since I’m a graduating student. And I’m sorry this chapter doesn’t have fluff moments, ‘coz I’m still building the plot. Anyway, some of the readers were asking me who the SC President is. And guess what? You’re in for a surprise~! Who do you think it is? You’ll find out on the next chapter!

And L? Playing saxophone? Equals to hotness overload! Ohohoho~ XD I actually came up with the idea years ago, because I fantasized him holding an alto saxophone in that handsome face of his and in a kind of y way that can melt anyone’s heart. I hope you guys agree with me. Ahahaha~ Well then~ see ya~~

P.S. Please leave a comment or suggestions if you have time~ I love it whenever I read what you thought about the chapter. It helps me to keep going and improve myself~ Thank you~!)