Chapter 3: Our Opponent is...

Drowning in Silence

 


“Oh… yeah. Myungsoo… first year, from class B…” I accepted his handshake.

“Sunggyu. Third year, class A. Nice to meet you.”

“Uh…same here…seonbae…” I’m not looking at him when I accepted his handshake, so when I did, I wish I didn’t… because… not only his lips are smiling, even his eyes. It seems so genuine that it blinded me. After I take a good look on his face, my hand felt like its tingling so I quickly withdraw it. “Well…see you around?” I started walking my way again towards the cafeteria. But this time, I increased my pace.

“Wait!” He marched beside me. “You’re from class B? Then it means you are classmates with Lee Sung Jong?”

“Uh…yeah. What about him?” Lee Sungjong is that pretty boy right?

 “Actually, I invited him to my club, the Cultural Studies and he accepted.”

While walking, I noticed some people we passed by staring at us, especially to the seonbae beside me. Some even greeted him.

We reached the cafeteria, then I went directly to line up. Surprisingly, he also lined up with me. When I ordered a set A lunch, he also did. Thankfully, I found a vacant table from the corner-most part of the cafeteria and when I sat down, he also did, across from me. “What are we talking about again?” I started eating.

“Lee Sungjong and my club.” He sound irritated.

“Oh, yeah. So what does that have to do with me?”

“You still don’t belong to any club, right?”

Don’t answer me with a question… “Because this school doesn’t have the club I wanted.”

“What? But this school is known for having various clubs. What kind of club do you want join anyway?”

“Magic Club.”

“What?

“Magic Club.”

“HUH? Is there such thing?!”

I laughed with his reaction. “I don’t know? My middle school don’t have it too but I was hoping it exists in this school.”

“What tricks can you do?”

“Uh…basics? Like hiding a coin then magically materialized somewhere else? But to be honest, I’m just pretty much interested.”

“Then why don’t you join my club?”

“Huh? Why suddenly asked me that? It’s Cultural Studies, right?”

“It’s not sudden. I actually talked to you for this.”

So that was his goal from the beginning. “Sorry. Not interested.” I was about to stand up when he grabbed my wrist, making me sit down again.

“Just…just visit my clubroom okay?”

“I-I said…” Here it is again, that tingling sensation. I searched for where it’s coming from, and I found out that it’s from his hands that was now resting on mine. Unconsciously, I stared at his hands. They are very pretty, and also very smooth to the touch. It’s like…they didn’t experience any form of hardships to maintain their beauty… I bet any girl would be ashamed when they are touched by these hands…because these pair of hand are prettier than theirs…

“Myungsoo?”

I blinked twice. “W-What?” When I looked at him, he seems worried.

“You’re preoccupied with something. What are you thinking?”

“H-Huh? Oh…nothing. I just thought your hands are pretty…” Wait. What did I just say?

His forehead creased, like what I just said is still processing on his head. Then his eyebrows rose. “O-Oh…”

Is that a blush I’m seeing?! Damn. I want to slap myself. When he averted his eyes, I hid my face with my other hand. That is, to cover the blush that was also creeping on my cheeks.

“S-Sorry.” I’m still hiding so I just listened to what he’s saying. “It’s just that…it’s the first time a guy told that to me, especially a handsome one…so…I don’t know how to react.”  He laughed. But it sounded like it’s out of embarrassment.

I uncovered my face, and when I did, I found out that he’s still looking at somewhere else. I also found out that his hands are still above mine. So like I was burned from something, I removed my hand from his grasp. That was the time he turned to look at me again.

“Oh. Sorry ‘bout that. I forgot…I was holding your hand.”

I saw him stretched his hands, then pressed it on the table. “A-Anyway…” He stood up, and then glanced at me. Like he was silently motioning me to also stand up, so I did. “You should visit my clubroom if you have time.” Then he stared at me while smiling. “I’ll be waiting there. Bye.”

Next thing I knew, he was gone in a flash…


“We’ll be preparing for the Cultural Festival this year.”

The whole room became silent. Sungyeol-hyung broke it. “Why this year? We didn’t participate last year right?” He glanced at us, particularly to the four of us who were with him on the rooftop. We know what he’s thinking. He’s silently telling us not to mention what we discussed awhile ago.

Of course we won’t!

“Because this will be our last year together.” He simply said. But we won’t believe a simple reason like that.

I wanted to ask: ‘Will you get permission from the SC President?!’ but I didn’t. Instead, “Then why did you say we are going on a battle?”

That caught him off-guard. He must have said it in the spur of the moment because Dongwoo-hyung also became agitated. I knew something was going on the moment I entered the room. Mostly because Sunggyu-hyung acted like a leader to us for the first time. When I glanced at the others, they gave me an ‘okay’ sign as if saying: ‘NICE!’. They must have been thinking the same thing.

When he recovered, the stern look was back on his face. “We only have three weeks to prepare. There are only the seven of us here but let me tell you this…” He scanned our faces one by one, then to my surprise, he stopped at mine. “We have one goal. To defeat the Student Council’s entry!”

“WHAT?!”


(I’m sorry that it’s a bit short. I just want to update as soon as possible because the new school year is approaching fast, so I’m sure I won’t be able to update much when it started. Again, I wrote this for two hours then posted this as soon as I finished so apologize if there are wrong spelling and grammatical errors. I’ll edit this when I have the time again to do so. And please, leave a comment if you have time because I really appreciate it when you do. It encourages me and correct my mistakes. Then~! See you next chapter~)