Chapter 2

Identity Crisis

“If a wound closes up without a scar then it isn’t a wound, it isn’t a knife. It is just the passing of the wind” – Oh Maria from ‘Gap Dong Yi’

“So you had the dream again last night?” Luhan asked.

Baekhyun stared down at his cupcakes like they were ghosts. His face was as pale as the vanilla frosting on the cupcakes. He hadn’t dreamed that certain dream in ages. Sure he had dreamed others but this one was particularly vivid and it was the beginning of the whole ‘being stalked’ issue. Baekhyun put more frosting on the cupcakes, bathed in utter silence and Luhan’s scrutiny.

“Why don’t you answer me? You always behave this way after you’ve had that dream,” said Luhan, putting his elbows on the counter as he peered up at Baekhyun.

“Then you already know my answer,” said Baekhyun flatly. He took the pink fondant flowers and started putting them on the frosting.

“Baekhyun...it’s been three years. Why does it still haunt you?” Luhan asked.

“You know why,” Baekhyun said.

“No I don’t. So tell me why,” said Luhan propping himself on the counter by his elbows.

“Because every single time I look at Chanyeol I get reminded of it,” sighed Baekhyun. He really didn’t want Luhan bugging him. When Luhan wanted something he would keep demanding till he got it, and Baekhyun definitely was not in the mood of listening to a whiny, high pitch voiced, Chinese blonde.

“Tough,” said Luhan stealing a cupcake and eating it.

“You think?” muttered Baekhyun.

Luhan became Baekhyun’s close friend after the incident. When Baekhyun went searching for jobs after college, no one accepted him because he was a victim. He landed in Luhan’s café one day and ended up crying all over the blonde. The blonde then let him work with him because his mom was a victim and he had been thrown out of the house because of it.

Luhan understood him a lot more than others and he even knew more about what had happened to Baekhyun three years ago than anyone else. Chanyeol couldn’t remember anything anyways. Baekhyun was more than thankful for a friend like Luhan who understood him. Luhan had grown up understanding that he was trash and then he helped Baekhyun because Baekhyun was convinced that he was trash.

But no matter how much Luhan would try now, there was no way he could convince Baekhyun that he wasn’t useless. Baekhyun and Luhan had an odd way of caring for each other. Living the tough way caused both of them to harden in unimaginable ways. They both took care of each other and gave each other advice by yelling at the other person and sarcastically berating them. It was tough but it was real and raw. It made Baekhyun feel accepted.

Baekhyun knew it made him and Luhan look like dumb masochists but in all honesty no one wanted to get caught in between them when they were screaming at each other. Kris once tried and ended up with a black eye and a sprained foot. They guy was a police officer too but they held no regard for him whatsoever. Chanyeol tried to do aegyo once when they were fighting and ended up with Luhan throwing a cake in his face.

Kris always complained that everyone treated Chanyeol like a china doll but threw shoes at him like he was useless. The guy since them decided that he should never say that again. His partners at the station asked him if he had been assaulted by a tiger. The guy couldn’t show his face properly for a week.

“Aish, the weather is being such a pain. It should be cooler by now. But it’s so humid. Bloody weather.”

Baekhyun chuckled sourly.

Trust Luhan to curse about the weather.

The bell above the door rang and both of them turned.

“Welcome to-” Luhan cut off and rolled his eyes. “Oh, it’s just you,”

“Hello guys!” said Kris with a wide smile.

Both Baekhyun and Luhan went back to working. Kris let his smile drop.

“Americano please,” said Kris with a sigh. “Oh and while Luhan makes it, Baek, could step outside to talk to me? It’s kind of important.”

Luhan looked at Baekhyun in confusion. Baekhyun shrugged and followed the tall blonde out of the café. Baekhyun was instantly hit by the humidity. He rubbed his nose and Kris turned around to face him, face filled with concern and determination. It made Baekhyun nervous seeing the amount of expression on the usually stoic Kris.

“Are you OK?” Baekhyun asked, putting his hand against Kris’ forehead to check for a fever.

“The statute of limitations is ending soon for your case, Baek. We need to find the guy. So please tell me anything you know,” said Kris.

Baekhyun went white.

“Please Baek,”

Silence.

“I don’t know anything,”

“You must know something!”

“I don’t” said Baekhyun flatly. Suddenly everything seemed a lot colder for Baekhyun and he wanted to runaway. This was not what he wanted. He couldn’t look at Kris’ face, it would kill him to.  

“That is bull, Byun Baekhyun. I know you didn’t tell us everything when we questioned you after the incident.” Said Kris.

Kris was getting frustrated. Three years and Baekhyun still wouldn’t open his mouth. Kris was tired of waiting around for Baekhyun but Baekhyun was their only source of information and he refused to open his mouth. Kris was the only one that knew that of course. He could read his best friend very well.

“I did tell you everything Kris,” Baekhyun protested.

“Are you going to tell me you got by a complete stranger?” Kris asked.

Baekhyun gaped at his best friend.

“You think I wouldn’t tell you who me Wu Yi Fan?” Baekhyun asked sounding betrayed and hurt. Baekhyun bit his lips, wanting to smack himself because: God he sounded so true, he wanted to kill himself for keeping things from his best friend. But he couldn’t say anything. If he spoke a word he would kill himself and the people he loved too, that included Kris.

Kris rubbed his temples, looking upset.

“No,” he sighed at last. “I’m sorry Baek. But if you remember something, please, please just come straight to me and tell me,” said Kris.

Baekhyun nodded.

Kris inhaled an alarming amount of air and then exhaled, looking tired. Baekhyun wanted to comfort his best friend and tell him everything but he couldn’t. He just had to wait for the statute of limitations to end and then he would tell Kris everything. Kris had dark eye bags and his eyes were red.

“I guess you’re working hard, huh?” Baekhyun had a tough time keeping the guilt from his voice.

“Yeah,” said Kris. “Oh, look, Luhan’s waving at us, let’s go,”

Baekhyun followed Kris back into the café. Fear was growing inside Baekhyun at an alarming rate because he knew Kris suspected something. Baekhyun knew that three years was a long time but he was terrified that Kris was sniffing something out so close to the end of it. Baekhyun went behind the counter and Luhan handed Kris his coffee. Luhan turned to Baekhyun eyebrows raised in question. Baekhyun shook his head.

------o------

Baekhyun doodled hearts on his notebook, next to his rather lame attempt at sketching Chanyeol. He smiled as he put his head down on the pencil smudged paper. He traced the heart almost giggling to himself when a book landed heavily on the desk next to him. Baekhyun started, sitting up and shutting his notebook as fast as possible as the subject of his interest sat on the chair next to his. The tall, dark brown haired male turned to him.

“Morning Baek,” he smiled.

“Good morning Chanyeol,” Baekhyun replied with a smile of his own, feeling his heart thump in his chest wildly at the way Chanyeol’s eyes sparkled in the morning sunlight coming from the window, even with his glasses on. For some reason Chanyeol and Baekhyun were the only ones that made it to this class in time.

“What were you doing?” Chanyeol reached for the notebook that was on Baekhyun’s desk.

“Don’t!” cried Baekhyun, yanking the notebook away from Chanyeol’s fingers, face beet red. Chanyeol looked surprised, shocked even. “It’s my diary,” Baekhyun attempted to explain through stammers and blushes all the way down to his neck. He wouldn’t want Chanyeol to think that he was being mean to him.

“Your diary?” Chanyeol raised an eyebrow in playful questioning.

Baekhyun nodded. Chanyeol cocked his head, staring at Baekhyun with an unintentional, full pout on his lips. Baekhyun swallowed hard. Why was Chanyeol trying to toss him off the cliff to insanity and frustrated, hyperventilating hearts? He leaned forward and poked Baekhyun’s cheek with a finger, his pout now very real.

“Let me see it Baek, please?” Chanyeol said with big, doe like eyes, which was amazing because very few people who wore glasses could do that and pull off the intended effect. “Please let me see it!”

Baekhyun clutched his diary even harder, making a face.

“Good morning, Baekhyun, Chanyeol,” Mr. Bang’s deep voice rang out.

Both of them spun around to face their teacher.

“Good morning,” both of them said simultaneously.

“What’s that you’re holding, Mr. Byun?” Mr. Bang asked. Baekhyun turned even redder.

“Nothing sir,” Baekhyun shoved the diary under the desk.

When Baekhyun and Chanyeol were sent to scout for the students who simply weren’t arriving, they discovered that Girls Generation’s Seohyun had come to the school and therefore no one bothered even thinking about class. Finding nothing else to do, the two of them returned to the class to find it empty. Baekhyun went to his desk and then saw the yellow cover of his diary lying in a corner. His eyes widened and he went to the corner to find that all the used up pages on his love for Chanyeol had been torn out and ripped to pieces mercilessly. Baekhyun didn't realize it but he ended up crying. Chanyeol arrived at his side and instantly realized what had happened. He rubbed comforting circles on Baekhyun’s back, not knowing exactly what had been in that diary.

------o------

Hot and cold at the same time. That was what the weather was like. Baekhyun wrapped himself up to fend off the cold, but he would start sweltering in his own body heat because of the random changes in temperatures. Maybe the global warming was really bad. The monsoon was awful and now winter was being a pain. It wasn’t hot but it wasn’t cold. Cold breezes would hit every now and then and people would shut their window and turn up the heaters, but then the next moment they would be hit by humid waves of air. Baekhyun was pretty sure the end of the world was miscalculated. It wasn’t supposed to be 2012 but 2014 instead. It made sense to him at least, and to Chanyeol who he had been complaining to about the weather.

“What’s worse is that there was a power cut last night and last night was freezing!” Baekhyun whined.

Chanyeol chuckled. Baekhyun used to think Chanyeol would get tired of him complaining, which is what Baekhyun would do for an hour at least twice a week. But Chanyeol told Baekhyun that he actually thought it was cute instead of annoying, like Luhan and Kris decided it was. Chanyeol was all kinds of amazing to Baekhyun.

“Well then, how about you get rid of those ugly bed sheets and let me buy you proper blankets?” Chanyeol asked Baekhyun.

Baekhyun gasped in something close to horror and amusement at the same time.

“How many times must I tell you that these bed sheets will stay right here?” Baekhyun hugged his ‘Supernatural’ bed sheets that had Jensen Ackles face on it. Baekhyun loved ‘Supernatural’ and he was a diehard Dean Winchester fan. Chanyeol found it all too adorable.

Chanyeol rolled his eyes playfully.

“Alright then,” he said.

Baekhyun smiled at him.

Baekhyun loved the way that even though there was barely any light except from the lamp, Chanyeol’s eyes sparkled. Baekhyun wanted to keep staring at those eyes forever and never ever stop. Chanyeol’s hand found its way to the back of Baekhyun’s neck and the distance between their faces was slowly decreasing. Baekhyun felt a warm, moist breath against his lips and he slowly closed his eyes, waiting for the magical moment. Chanyeol’s lips met his and the pure and loving kiss had Baekhyun’s head reeling. It was almost too much for him. Baekhyun lost himself in the younger’s touch and before he knew it the kiss started to heat up and become passionate.

Baekhyun ended up pressed against the mattress, Chanyeol in between his legs as the kiss carried on, intensifying unimaginably. Baekhyun’s heart was on fire. He was irreversibly in love with Chanyeol and he knew that he would do anything for Chanyeol because Chanyeol was his world. A life without Chanyeol was a life not worth living. Baekhyun felt hands on his shirt buttons. He was about to go crazy.

And then it stopped.

Baekhyun was startled. All warmth left him and silence reigned in the room. All that could be heard were their pants for breath. Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol in question, trying to understand why he stopped when Baekhyun was on the brink of ecstasy. The younger was staring at the marks on his neck. Baekhyun felt the color drain from his face and he sat up.

“Chanyeol…” he whispered, his heart pounding painfully in his chest.

“I’m sorry,” was all Chanyeol said before standing up.

“Chanyeol-” Baekhyun began in desperation. Chanyeol couldn’t leave him here, not like that. He wanted Chanyeol. No, he needed Chanyeol. Baekhyun stretched out a hand towards Chanyeol, his throat tightening with emotion.

“I’m so sorry, but I can’t. Not now.” Chanyeol grabbed his bag and was out the door. Baekhyun heard the door of the apartment slam shut. Baekhyun was left there, staring at an empty space, wanting to call Chanyeol back. He felt his wall come crumbling down. He hated this. He hated himself. Why did it have to be him of all people? Couldn’t fate have chosen someone else to pick on, someone else’s life to completely destroy?

Baekhyun curled up on his bed, crying his eyes out. His sobs rang out in the small, lonely and quiet apartment with no warmth.

------o------

Whenever Baekhyun was truly upset, to the point he thought he would shatter at the slightest touch, he would grab a glass of milk and go to his secret hide out. There was a secret entrance into Seoul National Forest and there was a certain spot there that no one ever visited. That was Baekhyun’s safe haven and the only one that knew about it was Kris. It was where the two of them became friends. Baekhyun curled up on the blanket he pulled out of the box that he and Kris had left there after years of coming to the place. He stared up at the stars.

Baekhyun knew that it would be time to go to the café in just a couple of hours. The stars were still visible because the days were growing shorter. Baekhyun lay there, quietly observing his surroundings, wallowing in self hate and pity. He could hear his mobile buzzing, but he paid no attention to it. He didn’t want to have to listen to Luhan yelling at him for being late. Baekhyun continued to lie there, listening to the sounds of Seoul waking up and getting busy with everyday life.

He heard a crunch to his side. He remained silent as someone lowered themself onto the blanket and patted his hair. Baekhyun closed his eyes and just felt the warm hand pat his cheek comfortingly. He heard the person sigh.

“Hey,” Kris said softly. Baekhyun didn’t bother to answer. Both of them watched the trees sway to the wind. “Do you remember when your mother freaked because a blanket went missing?” Kris asked with a smile. Baekhyun managed a soft smile at the memory. “She yelled at me too. But then I guess I kind of deserved it, even though she didn’t know that both of us brought it here. It was her favorite blanket.”

“I still remember sitting here and listening to you gush about your high school crush,” Baekhyun said, feeling a little lighter. It was amazing how Kris could make him feel so carefree and happy at times and at times he could shove Baekhyun into a hole and corner him like a fox to a rabbit without even knowing it.

“Then you sat here and listened to me gush about how both of us were in the same police force.” Kris grinned at Baekhyun.

“And how in all reality, he couldn’t hold a gun in the first place and he was such an angel. I laughed at you so much,” Baekhyun smiled. It wasn’t a smile that reached his eyes, but it was a sincere smile all the same. The only times Baekhyun ever smiled with true happiness was with Chanyeol, occasionally Kris and Luhan. It wasn’t the first time it had ever happened with Chanyeol, it happened before too. Both of them would get over it and get through it. But Baekhyun kept crumbling the more it happened. He could barely breathe each time it happened now. It wasn’t an unusual occurrence and Kris didn’t even have to ask when it happened now. He just went along with it, giving up trying to understand his best friend.

“Luhan is looking for you, but he says you’re not picking up your phone. So instead he bullied me into finding you.” Kris grinned lightly. “Come on kiddo, you have a life to take care of.” Kris gently helped Baekhyun up. “Let’s go before blonde, Chinese, terrorist attacks Chanyeol for answers or sends hellhounds after the two of us,”

Baekhyun chuckled softly.

“Finish up your milk.”

Baekhyun’s medicine was always Chanyeol, Kris and Luhan. It was a connection that would never break. Or at least he hoped it wouldn’t break. He just had to wait patiently and quietly till it was all over.

------o------

It was somewhere towards the end of Baekhyun’s college education that Kris realized his friend was acting strange. Baekhyun had just started living alone since his father had a health problem so his parents were forced to move to the country. Kris was just a newbie in the police force. It had been only half a year since he had started. So he was rather looked down upon, but one thing that no one could ignore was the fact that he had an amazing intuition. He was also amazingly good at sniffing things out. So while in front of his face they berated him, behind his back they fought for whose team he’d be on. So Kris could sense something was up with Baekhyun.

Never in Kris’ life did he imagine that Baekhyun was being stalked. It wasn’t just simple stalking. It was sick, completely sick. Although Baekhyun was scared beyond belief he also found it so shameful that he simply wouldn’t reveal anything to Kris even though Kris asked. It wasn’t surprising that the stalker had his number. Most stalkers had their victims’ numbers. But Baekhyun never answered unknown calls, which led Kris to the suspicion that maybe, just maybe, Baekhyun knew who the caller was.

Kris knocked on the old, worn out looking door and waited for an answer. The door opened slightly revealing a tall woman with beautiful but strong features.

“Hello ma’am. My name is Detective Wu, I believe your husband called up the police some three years ago about an attack on the street right outside,”

------o------

Baekhyun pulled the paper out of the mailbox and ripped it to shreds. He dumped the pieces into the trash can nearby and pulled out all the other mail. He bit his lip at the feeling of being watched and for security he began to converse with a neighbor he had never seen in his life. The neighbor was a single living woman without a boyfriend maybe two years older than Baekhyun. She was thrilled to be talking to the handsome young brunette. Baekhyun smiled politely listening to every word she said with the partial attention he gave in a physics class. When the feeling of being watched vanished, Baekhyun looked at the wall clock and lied - very dramatically - that he had work. Then he ran up to his apartment and shut the door.

He heard something underneath his feet and realized he was stepping on a piece of paper. It looked like it had been slipped in from underneath the door. His heart pounded in his chest as he bent down to pick it up. His fingers started trembling. He brought it up and peered at it. In large black letters was written:

Don’t ignore me, or I promise you that you will regret it.

Baekhyun dropped the paper and fell to the ground on his ankles, hands covering his ears as he squeezed his eyes shut. Just as he opened his eyes he noticed the shadow of shoes from the other side of the door. Baekhyun fell backwards, opening his mouth to scream.

“Baekhyun? Baekhyun are you in there? It’s me Chanyeol. Are you OK? You haven’t been coming to classes lately.” Chanyeol knocked on the door while calling for Baekhyun. Going into panic mode, Baekhyun grabbed the sheet of paper dropped it into the kitchen dustbin and then hurried to open the door.

“Uh…Hi Chanyeol,” Baekhyun smiled brightly up at the other boy.

Chanyeol smiled back.

“Hey, can I come in?”

“Sure,” Baekhyun opened his door fully for Chanyeol to come in, and then he shut it, locking it firmly.

Chanyeol awkwardly stood there, looking around the house. Baekhyun motioned for him to sit down at the dining table since he couldn’t really afford to bring his parents sofa into his small apartment.  Baekhyun got a glass of water for Chanyeol and then sat down as well.

“Hi...” Baekhyun really couldn’t think of words to say to his long time crush.

“Are you OK? You weren’t coming for classes for a while and I got really worried but then I thought if I just simply called it would be rude. Especially if you were sick. I mean if you were sick then I should visit instead of just call right?” Chanyeol delivered everything in one breath, leaving Baekhyun blinking because: Chanyeol cared.

Baekhyun wanted to scream like a fan girl in joy because Chanyeol noticed that he was missing and was concerned that he was sick.

“I was just not feeling too great,” Baekhyun lied. It was easier to lie than to say that he was too scared to leave his apartment complex and go for classes.

Just then Baekhyun’s mobile on the table rang, a familiar name showed up. Baekhyun grabbed the phone and cut the call, leaving Chanyeol looking shocked.

“Why did you cut it? Shouldn’t you have answered it? It was from-” Chanyeol began with furrowed eyebrows.

“It’s OK, I’ll call back later.” Baekhyun smiled as reassuringly as possible to Chanyeol because he knew he was not going to call back. “You’re my guest right now, I’m sure you should be my first priority,” Baekhyun waved his hand, trying to look casual even though his heart was pounding unhealthily. At this rate he was going to die of a heart attack.

“Are you sure?” Chanyeol asked uncertainly.

“Yes, I’m sure,” Baekhyun said with a smile.

Chanyeol shrugged.

“OK then, since I guessed you weren’t feeling to great, I got you porridge,”

------o------

Baekhyun wrapped up one last muffin and then handed the bag to the customer with a large, million watt, and infectious, fake smile. The customer, a young high school girl found herself giggling at Baekhyun, despite the fact that she had a nerdy boyfriend hanging onto her arm. Her boyfriend did not look pleased.

“Please enjoy,” Baekhyun said.

The girl nodded and then dragged her boyfriend along with her, almost crashing into the door because she was busy ogling at Baekhyun. Luhan showed up at Baekhyun’s side, clucking his tongue as he shook his head at the retreating girl and nerdy attachment with disapproval.

“You make my café so very attractive to all the younger people. If only they knew how fake that smile was. They’d all tuck their tails in between their legs and run for it if they knew how scary you were in reality.” Luhan ran his fingers through his hair. “You give me really good business, thanks Baek.” Luhan grinned, sticking his tongue out at Baekhyun childishly.

Baekhyun rolled his eyes before he grabbed a muffin and shoved it into Luhan’s mouth, leaving him choking on his own creation.

“I’m not just good for business, I’m your friend you ,” Baekhyun smiled sweetly, highly amused at the elder’s predicament.

Luhan swallowed the muffin.

“That’s hyung to you, you brat!” hissed Luhan, but he was smiling nevertheless.

“You’ve never asked me to call you hyung before, harabeoji*.” It was Baekhyun’s turn to stick out his tongue childishly.

“Yah! You little brat, come here! I will give you a black eye for good measure – welcome to ‘Goût Café’,” Luhan and Baekhyun instantly turned and bowed, smiling widely at their new customers. An entire tirade of High School girls walked in. Needless to say Baekhyun and Luhan had fan girls for their pretty boy looks. Fan girls meaning all the teenage girls in the High School down the street.

While behind the counter, Baekhyun got a phone call. He almost cringed when he saw the familiar name. He picked up the phone while Luhan flirted away with the girls in order to get them to come back the next day.

“Yeobosayo?” Baekhyun gave the usual greeting.

“I assume you know why I’m calling you?” A deep voice asked on the other end.

“Yes,” Baekhyun said softly.

“Making sure of it.” A pause, “Where are you right now?”

“I’m at the café. That’s Luhan that’s talking to the girls,” Baekhyun said.

“Hm…Don’t delay.”

“I won’t”

Baekhyun cut the call and turned to find Luhan staring weirdly at him.

“Who was that?” Luhan asked.

“Him,” Baekhyun said emotionlessly. Luhan scowled and then his face returned to his fake happy face as another girl walked up to him asking if she could take a picture of him. Baekhyun sighed and pressed ‘delete call history’. It wouldn’t do for Kris to find out about it.

------o------


A/N - And I am back after a long hiatus....sigh...I am good. I went through chapter one again and then realized in complete shock that there was no Baekyeol skinship. What. This chapter was to develop your understanding of Baekhyun's relationship with Chanyeol, Kris and Luhan. Yay!! I decided nothing comes in between me and shipping Baekyeol. I don't care anymore. I am happy. But...yes there is a but. Updates will be slow. I joined IBDP (Internation Baccalaureate Diploma Programme). Man it is tough......I have a lot of work. But I will update when I can. Translations (if needed) are below.

*Harabeoji - grand father

Comment and subscribe!!

Kaeppsong~