A Helping Hand

Spirited Away



There's an eerie sound above flying and Onew knew what it is so he quickly covered ____ with his body and told her to keep quiet. ____ was somewhat crash between the wall and Onew. "Don't move." It was a big bird with a head of an old woman, it was flying rapidly and its orbs were scanning below, looking for something. Onew's eyes where glaring at the bird, that after a few moments were gone. His eyes where like hawk as it went staring at the surrounding, checking if someone was watching them. "That bird was looking for you" He said as he detached himself to her and took her wrist.  "We have to get out of here"

Onew helped her up but oddly enough she couldn't stand. "My legs! I can't stand up!" she whined. "Help! What should I do?" Onew once again held her hands and calmed her. "Calm down. Take a deep breath." He said soothingly. ____ nodded, closed her eyes tightly and took a deep breath justlike what he said. Onew put his hands a few inches above her leg and began chanting a simple spell.

"In the name of the wind and water within me. Unbind her"

"Now get up!" Onew urge her again and as quickly as possible she stood up. The two began to run very fast as if the time began to slow down while they made their way to pass through different beings with Onew leading the way. They cross a dark alleyway with a wooden door on the edge; Onew put his hand on the way and started moving his hand in the air and the door burst open. ____ just watched dumbfounded as he did that. They entered the door and went down the small stairs. They pass now a room with numerous jars and after that a place with huge fishes and meats of every kind. She couldn't believe how fast they run and she found herself exceeding an area where many pigs were seen, she wondered if her parents were there.

...

"Welcome! Welcome!" Taemin, one of the bathhouse's workers, greeted the customers with a charming smile. "Oh, it's nice to see you back"

The Bathhouse was now open to the public this evening and the creatures working there were so busy preparing the baths and all the needs of the different customers, that most came from far away islands. The huge building glowed red in color as the crimson lamps reflect the numerous windows. The tall chimney kept emitting smokes symbolizing that the boiler inside never stop making hot water for the baths. The spirit customers kept coming in, seeking a nice hot bath from the famous cabana.

They lined up and one by one they went inside the edifice while some of the workers waited beside the gate, ready to give assistance to them.

"You have to hold your breath while we cross the bridge" Onew reminded ____ as they got near the viaduct. "Even with a tiniest breath will break the spell and then everyone will see you" He looked back at her after he opened the small wooden gate, she nodded and cautiously followed him to the bridge. Earlier, Onew created a spell that will turn ____ invisible to the spirits except him but because spirits don’t breathe, ____ would obviously take their notice considering that she's a human being.

____ clutched Onew's right arm rather tightly as she began walking with him. "I'm scared" she admitted as her grip became tighter. "Just stay calm" Onew said and continued leading the way. His head was held high, not giving a hint of nervousness so that ____ could feel safe.

"Welcome!" Taemin kept greeting the customers as he held his orange paper lamp. "It's always nice to see you! Oh, welcome! This way" He had been doing this since the bathhouse opened, after nightfall with his co-worker.

"I'm back from my mission" Onew said sternly to Taemin as if nothing happened, as if ____ was not with him. Taemin smiled, "Welcome back Onew-hyung". They were now going to pass the bridge, "Now, take a deep breath" Onew reminded her again. She took a deep breath and her hand went to cover her nose, "And hold it" He finished. As they walked with ____ holding her breath, she took noticed a rather odd spirit, not that the spirits there were normal, it's just the odd creature was standing there with a smiling mask, not moving or anything. ____ torn her vision from it and went to look straight. "Hang on. Almost there" Onew whispered, they were nearing to the main door. Rinrin looked like she was going to collapse, she have a hard time holding her breath.

They were about to finish passing the bridge when suddenly Donghyun, another worker wearing a frog-costume came and started greeting Onew. "Welcome back Onew-hyung, where have you been?" and with that said ____ let out a gasp, she was startled with Donghyun and to his costume. Donghyun noticed her existence when she breathed. His eyes widened as he exclaimed, "W-wha- A HUMAN!" Onew was also startled, their facade was known and so he pushed Donghyun away. It created a bubble barrier around Donghyun and that left him paralyzed for seconds.

"Let’s go!" Onew ordered as once again he and ____ ran like wind. They passed the female workers, who were beside the main door greeting the guest, with a gust of wind making the long baggy uniforms go up though there's nothing interesting to see. They went inside a small door to avoid ruckus which have already started and into a small clearing where another entrance was seen a few meters away. It looks like a garden with many kinds of flowers and stones pathways. While passing, the both of them could hear a commotion inside a well-lighted room, next to the garden where they kept hidden. The creatures inside were rambling and from the sound of their voices, they were panicking and chorus of Onew's name were heard.

"Onew! Onew-ssi! Onew-ssi!!!"

The two were hiding behind a bush, "They knew you're here" Onew confirmed, his face serious again. ____ sulked and her hands holding each other, "I'm sorry... I took a breath" Onew heard it and his expression changed immediately, he leaned closer and began talking.

"No ____, you did very well. Now listen carefully to everything I will tell you do to." He began while watching as ____ face looked scared again, "You can't stay here, they will find you and you will never get to rescue your parents. I will create a diversion while you escape-". ____ quickly held Onew's shirt, not wanting him to leave her alone. "No! Don't leave me! I don't want to be alone..." Her eyes were beginning to be clouded with tears. Onew held her hand and gently detach it from her shirt, "You don't have any choice if you want to help your parents. This is what you have to do"

She was fighting back the tears now, "They did turn into pigs, I wasn't dreaming". Onew put his hand on ____'s forehead as he put a spell into it, revealing the way where she must go. "Don't worry. Now, when things quiet down, go out to the back gate. Go all the way down to the stairs until you reach the boiler room, where they stalk the fires. There you will find Minho, the boiler man."

As the pictures went to her head, she nodded and her forehead curved up again, "Minho?" she inquired. Onew nodded, "Tell him you want to work here and even he refuses you, you must insist. If you didn't get a job, Youngmin will turn you into an animal." He warned. "Youngmin... huh?" she repeated. "You'll see, he's the wizard who rules the bathhouse." He explained, "Minho will try to turn you away but trick you if you're leaving but keep asking for work. It will be a hard work but you may be able to stay here then even Youngmin can't harm you" She kept nodding as he explained the situation and the beings that soon ____ will meet.

"Onew! Onew-ssi! Onew-ssi!" The workers inside the room called him again. "Onew-ssi, where are you?!" Onew glanced to the room and back at her, "I have to go and don't forget ____, I'm your friend". He stood up but was stop when she held his hands. "How did you know my name is ____?"

Onew looked down at her and blinked, a small smile appeared on his lips. "I've known you since you were very small. Good luck and whatever you do, don't make a sound". Onew stood up gradually and went inside the room, leaving ____ for now. Her thoughts were like roller coaster and the small revelation from Onew just added to the pile of thoughts that she must arrange. So, Onew knew her since then.

"Onew-hyung!" Taemin called.

"Calm down! I'm coming" The cold, serious Onew went back. Taemin hurriedly went to his side, informing him about some issues happening inside the bathhouse, "Youngmin-ssi wanted to see you". "I know" Onew said a bored tone, "It was about my mission, right?" and he began to walk to Youngmin's opulent quarters.

...

I asked my sister to co-author this fiction. She declined telling me that she has various stories to update but when I offered her some ice-cream, she accepted it immediately. *screams*

-Cinderella In Boots.