Cloud One

Into Your World

Joonmyeon walked through the streets aimlessly. He didn’t know where to go. It was just too quiet to be home alone and yet walking around aimlessly wasn’t a solution either. Why did they leave him behind? Now, he was alone, having no one to rely on but himself.
 
He was thankful that he didn’t have anyone else close to him. No one to ask him if he was fine, no one to ask if he expected it and definitely no one to judge him. Did he know this was going to happen? Yes and no. He knew his parents were troubled by their financial status and constantly worrying about having enough money to get by. They had mentioned that without them, Joonmyeon would only need to support himself and they were just a burden to him. However, he didn’t think their solution would be to end their lives. Did they not realise he still needed them? He didn’t need a big house and he didn’t need more food. Just having them around for company and to chat with everyday after he returned home was more than what he could ask for. 
 
Right after his parents' funeral service that only he attended, he returned to his part time job. He needed the money to pay school fees and to get by, but of course, with everything on his mind, he could not focus, making many mistakes and was told not to return. What was he to do now? There was nothing he could do except to try harder to get by. He wasn't going to give up like his parents. He was definitely different. Maybe that was why they didn't take him along, they knew he could make it even when they were gone. He would live his life to the fullest and show his parents, wherever they may be, that he could do it. He was a fighter and he would prove it.
 
The next day, Joonmyeon busied himself with clearing out his house. It was a small single story house with two bedrooms, a bathroom, a living room and a kitchen. Since his parents gave up on life, he didn't need their things around the house to remind him of them. It might seem cruel doing that to his parents but he needed the money, clearing out their room would allow him an empty room to rent out. He quickly put out an advertisement and then continued his search to find another part time job. As much as he hated a stranger intruding into his personal space and to live with him, he had no other option.
 
Not only that, he had to study hard and monitor his grades. He was a good student and favoured by his professors. He didn't want to let anyone at school find out about his situation at home. Although he was still young, he didn’t have time to go out and have fun like his other friends.
 
Thankfully, he managed to find a job delivering chicken. He had to work later and it was more tiring than the previous job he had at the convenience store but it paid more. Plus, he was more than grateful that they were willing to hire him despite him being a student. Having a job took some of the financial burden off his shoulders, as he wasn't sure if he would be able to rent out a room since he didn't live in a good neighbourhood. It was an old neighbourhood and the buildings were old and run down. There were definitely better options around Seoul. Just as he was thinking of taking down the advertisement for the room, someone responded. She would come by the next day to view the house.
 
Joonmyeon felt and hoped that everything would get better soon. That evening, she arrived at his house promptly at the arranged time. "Hi, I'm Angel." She greeted. Joonmyeon was captivated by her smile. He had never seen or known anyone like her. She didn't look like she was pure Korean, with her light brown locks and big doll like eyes with deep double eyelids. Also, she spoke Korean fluently, much to his surprise. 
 
"It's not much but I hope that it's to your satisfaction." He said, sheepishly.
 
She smiled politely but remained silent. He was sure she was going to just leave. He didn’t a girl like her would want to live in a neighbourhood like his. She continued to look around the house and stopped just by the window, staring out at the yard.
 
“Can we put a swing in the yard?” She smiled sweetly.
 
“Does that mean you’ll rent the room?” The yard wasn’t big but it had always been empty. Though he never liked having decorations or extra furniture, if it meant successfully renting out a room, she could do whatever she wanted. As long she stayed out of his room, of course.
 
She smiled again. “It’s a deal then.”


Posted 5th August 2014

First chapter! What do you think? Comments please! Please upvote too!