Arrival

Three Weeks

“Min, c’mon, we’re going to miss our train if we don’t leave right now!” Li Hua shouted from the doorway as she helped put Min Hoa into his light jacket since the weather was a little cold with the light rain and spring breeze blowing. “Zhang Min Shou, hurry right now, the taxi is waiting for us,” she growled, making her son burst into fits of small giggles which made Li Hua smile.

“I’m coming, I’m coming,” he sighed but quickly smiled when he saw his happy son and angry, yet cute, wife waiting for him. "Baba's ready to leave!" He said as he swooped his son into his arms and carried him out the door while Li Hua locked up the house before quickly following close behind her two men. She saw Min Hoa smiling at her and she lightly jogged towards him and tapped his nose and pecked him on his cheek before he looked at let out a loud laugh which made Xiumin and Li Hua burst out laughing. Xiumin gave Li Hua Min Hoa as he opened the door of the taxi and Li Hua entered with Min Hoa in her arms and Xiumin going to front seat beside the driver.

After telling the driver to drop them off at  Shaoshan Train Station while Li Hua buckled Min Hoa into the car seat that sat in the car. “Are you happy, Min Hoa? You’re going to finally meet nai nai and ye ye for the first time,” she softly said to him as she played with his tiny fingers. “They’re so happy they’re going to finally meet you,” Li Hua smiled at her son as he began to make random, happy noises. “Min Hoa, when will mama hear you talk?” She pouted to him before quickly placing a small kiss on his forehead. “Min,” Li Hua called out. Xiumin hummed a response which made Li Hua a little annoyed. “Did you call your parents?” She asked him.

“I told them that I’d call when we were at the station then halfway there and then when we arrive,” he explained to her. “Don’t worry, ai ren,” he said softly as he looked at the two in the back. “I have it all under control.” Li Hua raised her brow at him which caused him to look at her skeptically. “Why, you don’t believe me?” He asked her with a cheeky smile on his face.

“I do,” she said before giving him one of her beautiful smiles. “It’s just weird having you take control over these things.” Li Hua let out a small laugh before she returned her attention back to her son. “Do you think the two big suitcases will last us two and a half weeks?” She asked Xiumin.

“Yep,” he answered. “Mama and baba have a washer that we can use,” Xiumin told her. “Unless it broke then there’s always the old fashion way of doing our laundry.” Xiumin turned back facing the front as he saw the train station nearing, his smile on his face grew a tiny bit as he thought about home. I’m coming home, he thought to himself as the taxi got closer and closer to the station.

The driver pulled up towards the entrance and Xiumin took out his wallet and paid the fair before he got out of the car with the driver following him to the back. Xiumin opened the trunk and began to take the two suitcases out with the help of the driver. He also took out Li Hua’s big, light brown, leather bag that had Min Hoa’s belongings for the train and a package of food she had made for the three of them for the two hour train ride to Changsha. He saw Li Hua with Min Hoa in her arms while she bowed her head to thanks the driver for taking them and he did the same to her.

“Li,” he called out to her. Li Hua looked at him and began to walk over towards her husband with a sleepy Min Hoa in her arms. “Let’s go,” Xiumin said as he placed the purse strap over his head and the bag sat on his side then he took the suitcase handles in his hands and began to drag them behind as Li Hua followed close behind him. For a late Friday morning, it wasn’t as busy as they both thought it would be and both were thankful for it. Xiumin went towards the platform where they would wait for the train and found a bench that would fit the three (more like the two of them since Li Hua had Min Hoa in her arms.) of them. Xiumin took out his phone from his jean pockets and began to dial his parents’ house phone.

After two rings, his mom answered the phone with a loud ‘hello’ which caused Xiumin to slightly jump and Li Hua to stifle her giggle as to not wake her, now, sleeping baby. “Just wanted to tell you we’re at the station so we should be there in an hour to two,” he informed her. Li Hua could hear her mother-in-law saying loud, yet incoherent, words to her son before he said a quick ‘I love you’ before hanging up the phone. He let out a soft sigh before looking at his wife who had an amused smile on her face. “Ma,” he started, “She’s excited to see us again.” Xiumin had a soft smile on his face as he spoke and Li Hua couldn’t help but feel her heart warm up at the thought of finally seeing his mom and dad after so many years and to introduce their first grandchild to them made her stomach fill with small butterflies.

“I’m excited to see them, too,” Li Hua said softly before the voice from the speakers read off their train would be arriving in a few minutes. She turned towards Xiumin about to tell him to get the ticket out of the white envelope from her purse but he was already one step ahead of her. “Thank you, ai ren,” she said quietly.

The two of them rose from the bench when they saw their train come into view from the opposite direction. Xiumin waited for his wife as she stood up carefully from the bench with the help of Xiumin who had his right hand on the small of her back, ready to catch her if Min Hoa and her were to fall. Li Hua gave him a small smile as if telling him she was fine before the two of them made their way to the plane with Xiumin, once again, ahead of her with their luggage and tickets in his hand. He stopped in front of one of the workers for the train who took the three tickets and punched a hole in them before handing them back to Xiumin who took it with a smile on his face. A man from inside the train helped Xiumin carry the two suitcases in, leading them to a more quiet spot in the train where less passengers were at the moment. Xiumin told Li Hua to sit down before he placed the suitcases above them with the help of the worker.

Once they strapped the luggage in, Xiumin bowed to the worker then proceeded to take a seat across from Li Hua and Min Hoa. He took off the purse and dug for the small blanket Li Hua packed for Min Hoa. “We’re going to Changsha,” he said with a grin as he handed Li Hua the blanket.


“Fang Hua,” Fang Yi said with her soft voice. “Let’s get you dressed so we can leave for nai nai and ye ye,” she took her daughter from Luhan who was still in and out of consciousness. Lightly scoffing, she smacked Luhan’s leg making him jump. “Luhan, you better get up right now,” Fang Yi growled as she glared at him as he rubbed his tired eyes. “Or else we’ll miss out train.” Fang Yi kissed her daughters head before she made her way upstairs.

As she began to climb the stairs, she heard Luhan as he mumbled to himself, “It’s only 8 a.m. and she’s waking me up, crazy woman.”

“This crazy woman can hear you,” she shouted from the top of the stairs, making her way to their room so she could get Fang Yi dressed for the train and get the rest of the bags packed and a small lunch for the three of them to eat during the ride. “Baba is so weird,” she said to Fang Hua in a small whisper as she placed her on the king sized bed. “Don’t move, okay? Mama is going to get your clothes for you.” Fang Yi began to slowly walk towards the closet with her back to her daughter. She began to rummage through the nearly empty closet before picking out a light, pink sweater and a white tee-shirt along with a pair of small, black leggings that she had recently bought for Fang Hua. When she returned to the room, she saw Luhan laying on the bed with Fang Hua beside him trapped inside his embrace. A small smiled eased its way on her face as she walked towards the bed making Luhan turn towards her with a gentle smile on his face. “Get ready, xiang gong,” she gave him a small wink then reached for Fang Hua so she could change her.

“I’m scared,” he said to her as he laid down on their bed while Fang Yi began to change their daughter into the new set of clothes while changing her diaper as she did so. “It’s been so long and when we all left,” Luhan took in a deep breath of air before he continued. “We left on a bad note with everyone. Ma and Ba did their best to do whatever they needed and wanted to, but we only left home and now after, how many years, we’re going back see them and--”

“Oh, stop over reacting,” she told him with a light tap to his thigh. “You know that no matter what, they still love all six of you. Plus, you’re going to have a nice two week vacation, right?” Fang Yi looked at him with a raised brow before she zipped up Fang Hua’s sweater zipper.

Sitting back up, Luhan took his daughter from his wife before slowly nodding his head. “And Fang Hua is going to meet her grandparents for the first time right?” He hid his daughter in his chest before vigorously placing kisses all over her, making her erupt in giggles. “Ye ye and nai nai are going to love you,” he said as he placed soft kisses all over her face making her laugh at her dad’s action.

“Since you’re not going to get ready yet,” Fang Yi said as she disappeared into the closet in search of clothes for herself and Luhan. “I’m going to get ready first.”

“Go ahead,” he said lazily. “I’m going to spend time with my little princess while the queen goes off to do what she wants.” Luhan laid down on the bed with his daughter sitting on his abdomen as he held onto her tiny hands. “The queen is happy to see the emperor and the empress,” he told his daughter with an affectionate smile on his face. He had nervous butterflies in his stomach by the mere thought of seeing his parents and somewhere deep inside, he was wishing to see his brothers as well. “There’s a lot of princes’ in the castle from where your baba is from. I’m from a place called Changsha and there’s dragons and fairies that reside there. The emperor and empress are the ones in charge of the kingdom. They have six sons and six daughter-in-laws. They’re the nicest rulers you can ever ask for.” Luhan felt himself smile and let go of the worries he held in his heart at the moment. He wasn’t sure why, but he knew this was going to be good seeing his mother and father again. He knew it wasn’t proper to do what his brothers and him had done to his parents, but at the time it was the best decision possible-- or at that time.

“Han,” Fang Yi called his name. “I have your clothes sitting on the chair by the window so when you’re ready, get dressed. We still have a lot to pack before we leave later this afternoon.” She told him before she disappeared downstairs and began to make their breakfast and, most likely, their lunch for later.

Luhan didn’t bother answering to her since she was too far from him. He looked at his daughter who was playing with Luhan’s wrinkled, white, wife beater. He took notice of how much saliva came from before taking his thumb and wiping it away before she would get a rash later. Luhan took a look at her and saw Fang Yi the most. She had her soft, almond eyes and her naturally dark brown hair and chubby cheeks were from Fang Yi for sure. But, his daughter did have his nose and both of her parents’ pale skin.

“We’re going to daddy’s kingdom,” he softly told her. Luhan placed Fang Hua on the bed and began to change so he could help Fang Yi get ready for their train to Changsha.


“Are you ready?” Ting Na asked as she fixed Yi Fan’s black, leather jacket and white tee-shirt. She her thumb and wiped away food from their quick lunch five minutes prior.

Yi Fan nodded his head at his wife who was frantically checking over his appearance like a seven year old going off to school. He gently grabbed Ting Na’s hand stopping her from doing anything more. “Why are you so nervous?” He asked her. “I’m not nervous,” he let out a chuckle.

“Yet,” she mumbled as she took her hand out of his grip and began to fix her ash brown hair that she curled a few hours ago. “Do I look okay?” Ting Na looked at Yi Fan who had an eyebrow raised at her. She bit her bottom lip as she kept fidgeting with her bracelets and her wedding ring.

Yi Fan pulled his nervous wife into a tight hug and placed a soft kiss on the top of her head, washing away her nervous butterflies from her. “You look beautiful,” he said as he pulled away from her. Yi Fan interlaced his fingers with hers.

The two of them took in a deep breath before they took a step forward while dragging along their two large suitcases with clothes and gifts. The duo had arrived earlier that day at around 8 a.m. before they (more like Yi Fan) decided that it was time to go and see his parents after a few years. Ting Na gave him a tight squeeze as he led her to the front door of his parents’ house. The home that he grew up and lived in until he was 20 years old. Yi Fan felt his heart beat faster and faster as the two them made their way up the seven, long steps. Ting Na let go of his hand and motioned sheepishly to her luggage that she couldn’t carry up the steps. Yi Fan let out a small laugh as he helped her carry her suitcase up the steps while she walked silently behind him until they reached the front door. Ting Na remained behind as he rang the doorbell. She looked around the porch and took notice of all of the flowers on the left side of the porch sitting on the ledge and ground and the three benches that sat; one on the wall of the house and the other two on the along the side of the porch.

Ting Na turned her attention back to the door as she heard her mother-in-law’s voice. She saw Yi Fan was enveloped in a hug where he had to bend down to reach his mother and to wrap his arm around her and couldn’t hide her smile. Ting Na saw her father-in-law coming from the inside of the house and her smile grew bigger.

“My daughter is here!” She felt her mother-in-law wrap her arms around her and Ting Na hugged her back. “How have you been, dear?” Mrs. Zhang asked her.

“I’m fine,” Ting Na replied softly. “How’s baba doing?” She quietly asked her.

“He’s fine,” her mother* answered her. “Does Yi Fan know?” She asked as she let go of Ting Na who shook her head as an answer. “Oh goodness,” she let out a sigh as she ushered Ting Na inside the house as the two followed the males in. “I hope they all come.”

“They will,” Ting Na gave her a smile. “I know they will.” Her mother looked at her big, happy grin and told her to sit on the couch so she could go and get the four of them drinks. Ting Na sat beside Yi Fan while her father-in-law sat on the couch adjacent to them. “Hello, baba,” Ting Na bowed to him with a bright smile on her face.

“Sit,” he advised her with a gentle and affectionate smile. Ting Na took a seat beside Yi Fan as he began talking to his father until they heard the doorbell ring.

Yi Fan turned his head to the door and saw his dad getting up from the sofa to open the door. Yi Fan and Ting Na stood up and followed silently behind their father who had opened the door.

“You’re here!” He exclaimed with his arms wide open to the person. “Min Shou, Li Hua!” Mr. Zhang hugged his son and daughter-in-law and also his grandchild. “And who is this young man?” He asked the two as he looked at a shy Min Hoa who had his head hidden in the crook of his mother's neck.

“Zhang Min Hoa,” Li Hua smiled as she introduced her son to her father-in-law.

“Your grandson, ba,” Xiumin informed as wrapped an arm around Li Hua.

Ting Na took a few steps towards the door and saw Li Hua. A smile grew on her face as she saw her sister-in-law. “Saosao!”* She exclaimed.

Li Hua turned her attention away from her son and father-in-law and turned to Ting Na who was making her way towards the trio on the porch. Her smile grew bigger than before as she saw her sister-in-law. She took notice of Yi Fan behind Ting Na. She nudged Xiumin’s side and noticed how he looked at his brother with cautious eyes.

Ting Na stopped in front of Xiumin and Li Hua and bowed her head. “Hello, Xiumin, Li Hua,” she bowed her head respectfully. She looked at Min Hoa with gentle eyes and a bright smile as he looked at her with wide, innocent eyes. “Hi, baby,” she cooed. “You must be the handsome Min Hoa.” Ting Na smiled at him and held her hands out to him inviting him to her. It took a few seconds before Min Hoa held his hands out and Ting Na took him her arms.

Li Hua’s eyes grew wide as she let Min Hoa out of her arms and into Ting Na who was smiling like a lunatic. “He’s never gone to anyone so willingly,” she admitted to her.

Ting Na laughed at her words as she placed a kiss on her nephew’s head. “You like me right?” She asked him as she took him in the house with Li Hua walking in after her, leaving Xiumin, Yi Fan and their dad out on the porch with Xiumin and Li Hua’s luggage.

Their dad let out a small, hearty chuckle. “Let’s get you all situated then we can talk,” he said as he took hold of a suitcase but quickly being stopped by his two sons who shot their hand out to the luggage.

“We got it, ba,” Xiumin told him with a small smile on his face. Mr. Zhang nodded his head before saying he’ll be going in the house first, leaving Xiumin and Yi Fan alone. “Can you help me bring the luggage in?” Xiumin’s voice was soft as he spoke to his younger brother, who nodded his head before the two went in the house bringing the suitcases with them.

 

 

 


 

When Ting Na was talking to her mother-in-law, I placed it as her mother. I thought that it would be easier to refer to her as mother for both her sons and daughter-in-laws and that also included with some spots where I add the -in-law part for both mom and dad. Also I made it as Mr and Mrs

And also when Ting Na refered to Li Hua as "Sao Sao" I wasn't too sure at that part, but it means sister-in-law for an older brother. Once again, I am not Chinese so I found these on Google. I wasn't too sure what you would call a sister-in-law when it is your brother-in-law's wife. So please correct me if I am wrong. 

I am also on a different version of the editior than what I normally use but my computer was acting weird and this was the only option I could get in order for me to update this chapter for you all.