Chapter 07

Stardust

Miyoung thought she was seeing things and she wished she were. Sungyeol was standing on the ledge with his arms spread open, eyes closed. He looked so peaceful, so calm that it frightened Miyoung. It was the first time she wanted to be born with wings. Ignoring the pain traveling up from her ankle, Miyoung found herself sprinting up the stairs. Imaginary scenes of Sungyeol falling with open arms flashed across her mind as she pushed herself further. Bursting through the rooftop door, she sprung forward and grabbed Sungyeol by his hand. They both fell. Sungyeol was dazed for a moment to find himself on top of Miyoung. He quickly got up and looked at her in confusion. Miyoung sat up too with a questioning gaze directed at Sungyeol.

“What do you think you were doing?!” She yelled.

Sungyeol thought he saw something sparkle in her eye. He lay back down on the ground with one hand covering his face.

The sun was too bright. It has always been, in his opinion.

“What do you think you were doing?” He repeated her words.

“Saving you?!”  

 “I wasn’t trying to… commit suicide.” He said simply.  

“But you were standing on the parapet…” She recalled, pointing at where he stood.

“I was just trying to understand the feeling of wanting to end everything like that.” He explained.

“Why would yo-" Miyoung cut off her own words, grabbing her ankle when a streak of pain struck her suddenly. She had forgotten about her sprained ankle and it looked even more swollen right now. Sungyeol sat up, looking down at her swollen bandaged foot.

“Did you just run all the way up in this state?!”  

Miyoung nodded her head, confirming his doubt.

“Next time…” Sungyeol stood up and looked down at her.

“Even if you see my jump for real, just turn around and walk away.”

Miyoung watched Sungyeol walk away and she wished he would turn back.

But he walked straight through the exit and slammed the door behind him.

“Someone like me doesn’t deserve your kindness.” Sungyeol mumbled he rested his back against the door.

Taking her phone out from her pocket, she sent Woohyun a text. The pain was killing her and Miyoung thought she could easily swallow an entire bottle of pain killers just to stop the pain from spreading. Sungyeol’s words continued to resonate in her mind even after he had left.

“I got to go now.” Woohyun kept his phone in his pocket, standing up hurriedly.

“Are you dating nowadays?” Sunggyu narrowed his eyes at his best friend.

Woohyun laughed at his words, “Why would you think so?”

“That look of worry...” He pointed at his face and shook his head disapprovingly.

“Don’t be too jealous.” He patted his shoulder before running off.

“Why did you ask me to come to the roofto-” Woohyun cut off his words the moment he saw Miyoung.

"Miyoung-ah." He called out, kneeling beside her. 

“It hurts, Woohyun.” Miyoung bit her lips and held onto his arm. 

“Does it hurt a lot, oh my gosh why is it so swollen now?!” He mumbled frantically, eyeing her ankle.

“Sorry for troubling you again.” She laughed a little but Woohyun didn’t look amused at all.

“What happened?” he asked sternly.

“Nothing.” Miyoung replied, looking away.

She wanted to keep Sungyeol’s matter as a secret, even from Woohyun. 

“Let’s bring you to the sick bay first.” He held onto her arm.

The school bell rang.

“Woohyun…” Miyoung grabbed his arm tighter, stopping him for a moment.

“Can we wait here for a while?” she pleaded.

“But your ankle is really swollen now. Look at i-”

“Please.” She interrupted him.

Woohyun would have said ‘No’ but with her looking at him like that, he could never reject her.

“Fine.”

-

“How have you been?” he asked.

Silence.

“I met a girl recently. She reminds me of you.”

Silence.

“Aren’t you curious why the both of you are alike?”

Silence.

“Why aren’t you replying me?”  

Sungyeol stared at her picture and found himself laughing in the middle of the cemetery. Eventually, tears flowed from his eyes alongside with the bitter laughter.

“It's because of you, it makes me feel like protecting her.” He mumbled, wiping her photo.

 

"I miss you." 

 

 

Author's Note:
Happy birthday to my bestie! ^^ #520 
I am sorry it's short but I hope you'd be slightly surprised to find this updated. 
I started typing this since days back :$