Chapter 06

Stardust

"“We would need someone to bring the balls back to the storage room.” The female class president announced.

The boys were in the football field so she could only look for a volunteer within the girls. Everyone looked away; some were busy fiddling with their mirror or phones. Nobody wanted to do the dirty job. Then, someone shot her hand up in the air.

“I will do it.” Miyoung volunteered.

Some people shot her dirty glances and she thought she saw a slight smirk on the class president’s face. It was as if she knew she would volunteer.

“Thank you, Miyoung-ah.” She said.

Miyoung merely smiled as she bent over to carry the basket full of basketballs. It was heavier than she expected. She looked over, hoping someone would step forward and offer to carry it together with her. Those who met her gaze looked away almost instantly. As expected, everyone turned their backs against her and left for an early break.

Struggling with the weight, her steps towards the storage room became slower and smaller. Then, a person bumped into her, causing her to lose her balance. The basket dropped right on Miyoung’s twisted right foot causing her to shriek in response. It hurts. Sitting on the ground, she looked up at the person who collided into her. The person smiled.

“I’m sorry.” She apologized.

 She recognised at first glance the school’s most popular girl, Minah.

“I suppose you’ll be able to clean up this mess by yourself, right?” She asked, pointing at the basketballs that had rolled all over the place with yet another smile.

It was people like her that tainted the beauty of smiles.

“Yes.” Miyoung replied, looking down.

And she walked away, just like everyone else.

Miyoung didn’t know why but she felt a surge of sadness rising within her. She wiped away the forming tears in her eyes and continued picking the balls, crawling around. Sungyeol lay against the wall with folded arms as he watched her crawl around. The sight of her face contorted with pain, beads of sweat trickling down her face and the sadness in her eyes was so disturbing. Letting out a deep sigh, he walked over to her.

“Need help?” he asked.

He was hoping deep inside that she would say ‘No’.

“T-Thank you, Sungyeol.” She looked up at him and said.

Sungyeol felt something, looking at Miyoung.

He bent over, helping her to pick up all the remaining balls in a swift moment. She continued crawling around to help collect the balls around her. Sungyeol eyed Miyoung’s right foot and finally understood her situation. In a few minutes, everything was back into the basket again. He lifted the basket with ease and silently watched her from the corner of his eyes. She bit her lips, struggling to stand up on her own.  

“Sit and wait here.” Sungyeol instructed as he walked away in big strides with the basket in his hands.

Returning the basket of balls to the storage room guard, Sungyeol started jogging back to where Miyoung was. Then, he spotted a familiar person walking by.

“Hey.” Sungyeol called out.

Woohyun stopped talking to Sunggyu and focused his attention to the person before him.

“Your name, was it… Sungyeol?” Woohyun snapped his fingers in recollection.

“Your friend, she is injured.” He informed.

Woohyun knew in a heartbeat that he was referring to Miyoung.

“Where is she?!” He narrowed his eyes at the informer. 

“At the basketball court.” Sungyeol replied.

Woohyun sprinted off without a second word, leaving behind a relieved Sungyeol and confused Sunggyu.

“Yah, where are you going?” Sunggyu shouted.

“You go ahead first~” Woohyun waved.

“Woohyun?” Miyoung called out in confusion.

 “How did you get injured?” he reprimanded, studying her swollen ankle.

“Ah. I dropped the basket of basketballs on my ankle by accident.” She confessed.

“Let’s go to the school nurse.” Woohyun helped her up and wrapped his arms around her.

“Sungyeol, he left. He is comin-”

“He told me to come for you. Let’s go.” Woohyun cut in almost instantly, hearing his name.

“It’s the school break now, there are a lot of people… Actually, I-I can do this myself, Woohyun.” Miyoung looked around, avoiding curious glances from the other students.

“Just follow me quietly unless you prefer me to carry you on my back” Woohyun stopped walking, seriously considering his own suggestion.

“There’s no need for that. Let’s just walk faster...” Miyoung lowered her head.

Sungyeol watched the couple walk through the mass of students and into the nursing office from afar.  

“This should do.” The nurse completed the bandaging.

“Thank you.” Both of them said together making the nurse giggle at their chemistry.

“You two make such a cute couple.” She teased.

“We are just friends.” Miyoung clarified, looking away awkwardly.

The nurse laughed at her cuteness and left the two alone.

“I’m so busy these days because of you, Park Miyoung.” Woohyun pinched the bridge of his nose and shook his head deliberately.

“T-” Miyoung opened but was interrupted immediately.

“Thank you, Woohyun. Right?” he guessed her words effortlessly.

She nodded, sitting up on the bed. Then, Woohyun stood up.

“Why don’t you thank me with other methods next time?” Woohyun proposed, inching closer.

Miyoung’s eyes widened in surprise at her best friend’s close proximity. Woohyun smirked upon seeing her frozen state. Patting her head in amusement, Woohyun sat back in his chair.

“YAH, NAM WOOHYUN!” She yelled, lifting a hand.

Woohyun hurriedly ran to the door, avoiding her hit.

“Got to go. Bye~” He laughed, waving at her.

 

To: Miyoung

See you after school. Rest well.

 

“Woohyun, you’re like a tree. Do you know that?” 

 

 

 

Author's Note: 
Thank you for reading the new chapter :D 
I hope you're enjoying 'Stardust' thus far. 
Any comments will definitely spur me to update quicker TT 
Is it Woohyun or Sungyeol for you in this story?