Chapter 03

Stardust

The school bell went off and the teacher smiled upon seeing pleading looks from his students.

“You’re dismissed.”

Before he walked out of class, he spun around and cheekily warned, “Don’t you guys dare forget about my assignment, understood?”

“Ne~” The students chorused.

After the teacher left, the students slowly streamed out of the classroom with their group of friends. Miyoung sighed inwardly as she took her lunchbox out form her bag. She scanned the class and realized that there were only the two of them left behind. They were seemingly the same, equally forgotten.

The sunlight that entered from the classroom window graced his features. Without his spectacles, he looked better, she thought. Miyoung stood up with her lunchbox and went by the window. The leaves outside rustled and it reminded her of a beginning of a movie scene. She drew the curtains and left the class hurriedly.

Miyoung hugged her lunchbox closer to her chest when a large group of people walked past. She felt self-conscious when they looked at her. They were judging her, she knew it. Everybody was, anyways. She held her breath to prevent herself from sighing out loud. Then, she heard a familiar laughter. It was Woohyun. What followed after were not exactly unusual, loud screams and quick snapshot sounds from mobile phones accompanied. He has always been the heart throb of the school. 

 

Why would somebody like Woohyun choose to be my friend ?

 

Miyoung slowly climbed up the stairs, leaving the scene.

Woohyun turned to his right and sighed.

Miyoung took picture of the clouds above her and kept her phone away. A particular cloud faraway resembled a heart, she thought. It was pretty. The wind blew and slowly, the heart changed its shape. Now, it looked like a distorted circle. Approximately 10 minutes later, it looked like a pyramid. Dynamic would be the word she would describe the sky. It holds the ever-changing fluffy clouds, the ball of fire that lights up the world, and the moon that looks lonely at night despite being accompanied by stars that holds spirits and beliefs. 

Sometimes, Miyoung imagined that perhaps there is somebody up there, shaping the clouds. Maybe, the sky is his canvass and the clouds were his artwork to show the world. And she would be his few audience. The thought itself fascinated her. Maybe, he is also the one that removes the sun off the sky and replaces it with the moon. Lastly, he would decorate the night sky with stars. She laughed at her own imagination.

 “What are you doing staring at the sky?”

“You…” She pointed at him in surprise.

“Just thought my little friend here would get bored and start talking to the sky.” He joked lightly.

“Yah. I was staring at the clouds, but I was not talking to the sky. Alright?!” She punched his arm.

“Arraso…Arraso…” He chuckled in amusement.

Sitting on the ground, Woohyun took his bento out and handed her a packet of drink.

“How did you know I am here though?” she asked, playing with the food a little.

“When are you actually not here?” he asked.

She smiled slightly, feeling a little bitter inside.

“What about your friends?” she asked.

“They left without me.” He pouted cutely, making her laugh.

“You liar.” She thought to herself.

“Here, eat more and grow taller.” He shoved half of his bento’s ingredients into hers.

“I think you’d need it more though.” She teased and Woohyun started grumbling about how Miyoung was being ungrateful for the food he decided to share.

“Thank you, Woohyun.” She said with a smile, digging in.

“You’re always thanking me.” He said it again.

She merely smiled.

-

The bell went off and students hurriedly scurried to their classrooms. Woohyun had left before Miyoung did because his friends called him to join them. Miyoung scurried away back to her class, entering from the back door. She noticed Sungyeol was still sleeping. Also, peculiarly, the curtains were tied up again. She tilted her head in surprise but sat down nevertheless. Miyoung couldn’t help but steal a second glance of Sungyeol. She wondered whether he was intending to sleep the entire school day away at this rate.

Then, he opened his eyes. Sungyeol sat up, not breaking eyes contact expressionlessly. She gasped in surprise and looked away in embarrassment. Sungyeol took his spectacles, put it back on and took his books out from his bag. The books were neatly wrapped with his full name neatly written at the top right hand corner. Hours of lessons passed by and finally, school was over.

“Going home?” she asked.

No response.

Sungyeol slung his bag and walked out of the classroom. Miyoung wondered if he had heard her and pretended not to. Or did he genuinely miss her question? She chose to believe in the latter.

-

“Come on, let me help you with this.” She persisted. 

“It’s really heavy, are you sure?” the old lady asked.

“Don’t worry, ahjumma. I am as strong as a bull!” Miyoung flexed her non-existent muscles.

The elder laughed in amusement and allowed her to carry some of the cardboards she was holding. Miyoung followed her around the neighbourhood and watched her talk to the stall owners, taking some cardboard boxes from them. Along the way, she talked to her about country politics, how Korea used to be in the older days and many other topics she can’t really comprehend. Often, Miyoung was unable to reply with the same frequency. But she still found them interesting. It felt like watching the world in another perspective.

“Thank you, kind-hearted lady. You should hurry home, it’s late.” The elder thanked with her slight eye-smile, showing most of her wrinkles. 

“I will just walk you in with all this stuff, alright?  It won’t take long…” She insisted.

The old granny shook her head repeatedly and told her to return home early.

“I will just bring this in and go, okay?” she insisted again and pushed open the rusty metal gates.

The chilling wind that welcomed them made Miyoung shiver a little. The lamppost light flickered a little as she walked in with the old granny. Putting down those cardboard at a corner of the living room which already had many things stacked up at all corners, Miyoung was about to go.

“Ahjumma, I am leaving first. Alright?” she looked around but couldn’t see her around.

The darkness was slightly frightening that Miyoung had to inhale a deep breath to calm herself a little. Then, someone appeared from behind frightening her a little. The elder shoved a can of warm milk in her way.

“Take this along with you. Drink it today, alright? It’s expiring soon.” She said, flashing a slightly embarrassed smile.

“I will drink this well, thank you!” She chirped before taking her leave.

At the gate, Miyoung turned back to wave goodbye to the granny. When she turned around to leave, she bumped into a man. He reeked of alcohol and his eyeballs looked diluted. Miyoung apologised, backing away consciously. The man staggered in, dropped the empty beer can on the ground and smiled.

“It’s okay.” He said, stepping aside and showing her the way out.

She bowed and hurried along. It was dark again and Miyoung felt as if she was the only one on the street. Her footsteps got faster when she felt as if somebody was following her again. Just like yesterday. Miyoung took her phone out and opened Woohyun’s contact.

“You called?”

Woohyun’s voice from before rung in her head and she did not want to bother him again. She kept her phone in her bag and walked faster. Miyoung turned back when she felt somebody tap her this time. She heaved a sigh of relief when she noticed it was granny’s son. The man she met a while ago.

“Oh, it’s you. Did I leave anything behind?” she asked, smiling a little.

“Yes.” He answered.

Then, she noticed the look in his eyes.

“Are you going home?” he asked.

She nodded, trying to contain her fear.

“What did I leave behind?” she asked, looking away cautiously.

“I did not bring it along. Shall we go back and take it?” he replied. 

“You can consider staying over at our house since it’s late too? The old woman would definitely love your companion. And..oppa can keep you company too…” he smirked, stepping closer.

“It’s okay.” She pushed his hand away.

Miyoung turned about and was about to run when he suddenly hugged her from behind. She struggled and reached into her bag for her phone.

Woohyun.

Woohyun, help.

Nam Woohyun, do you hear me?

She fumbled with her phone and pressed the call button. However, he flung it aside effortlessly.  

“Let go of me.” She screamed.

“You know, I’ve noticed you since a week ago and I am not letting you go tonight.” He whispered.

“—Please… Let go! ” She cried.

Miyoung felt the tears streaming down her face as her heart beat rapidly. She was scared. She started screaming for him to let her go but the more she yelled, the stronger his grip tightened. One of his hands eventually found its way up to and she felt suffocated. She knew he was too strong for her, no matter how hard she tried to wriggle free of his grip.

“What the are you doing?!”

It was a mess but Miyoung registered being pulled away while the man ended up lying on the ground with a bruised cheek. She shivered fearfully and saw the guy being beaten up non-stop. Blood flowed out of his nose and mouth.

“Stop…Please…” She cried with her hands over her ears.

“I am calling the police.” He took his phone out.

The man who was rolling about in agony scrambled over and kneeled on the ground, begging for forgiveness. “Please don’t call the police. I beg of you…”

“Shut the up, you bastard.”

“S-Sungyeol, don’t.”

“What?!”

“Please...”

Her hair fell over her face and a teardrop landed on Sungyeol’s hand. Her hand was holding onto his, trembling. She was downright scared but here she was, asking for forgiveness for a man that should never be forgiven.

Sungyeol turned to the man that was badly beaten up by him.

“Leave.” Sungyeol growled. 

“GO!” He shouted and the man ran away with unsteady footsteps.

Sungyeol turned back and he didn’t know what else to say except the usual, “Are you alright?”

How could she be alright…

“I am fine.” She smiled, wiping away her tears.

That surprised Sungyeol.

“You sure?” he confirmed.

She nodded her head and Sungyeol walked to the roadside and picked up the phone.

Missed Call (2)— Woohyun.

“Your phone.” He returned it, locking her phone in the process.

“Thank you.” Miyoung said, putting her phone in her bag.

Walking to the roadside, she picked up the can of milk granny handed her. It had turned cold. Placing it in her bag, she walked ahead.

Sungyeol shook his head and sighed.

“Park Miyoung, let’s walk together.”