Chapter 01

Stardust

Woohyun sits up in his bed and pondered about what life was about.

He thought for 52 seconds and smiled.

Getting out of bed, he washed up and left house. He checked his watch and thought he was still ear-

“Yah, Nam Woohyun! Were you styling your hair again?!” She yelled.

He chuckled and slinging his hand over her shoulder, he dragged her along.

“You can’t make your best friend look ugly when he’s so handsome, right?” He whined and she laughed.

“Best joke ever.”

“Yah. Park Miyoung, stop lying to yourself!”

She walked ahead and smiled.

“Yah, Miyoung-ah, look. That girl over there has been staring at me for a long time.”

“I’ve so many girls asking me out for lunch today. How could it be that…”

“Yah. Nam Woohyun, you’re so noisy.” She stated in an half amused and half annoyed expression.

“Fine, fine. I am not handsome at all.”

She burst out laughing.

“Gotcha.” He snapped his finger and winked.

She gave up. That was just so Nam Woohyun.

 

-

“Hey! You should lose weight soon. I am freaking serious here!” Woohyun yelled from below.

“How about you gain some muscles instead, you idiot.” Miyoung retorted.

“Do you believe I’d let go of you, like now?” He threatened.

“You wouldn’t.” She smiled as she secured her footing on the branch and sprung off Woohyun’s hands.

She slowly reached out to the kitten stuck on the branch. It inched back in retaliation and left a scratch on her hand. She almost screamed but she held it in, not wanting to scare the little thing inches away, for fear it may free fall to the ground. A wolf whistle came from below and Miyoung thought she heard Woohyun scolding the bunch of high school boys passing by.

“YAH PARK MIYOUNG. ARE YOU NOT COMING DOWN?!” He looked up and yelled in irritation.

She laughed in amusement at his outburst as he glared at her from beneath. Then, she saw him frantically closing his eyes the next moment and looking back down.

Finally, she successfully grabbed the kitten. She took care to be as gentle as she could, not wanting to hurt it in the process.

“Coming~”, she notified Woohyun.

The kitten struggled a little before coming to a stop. Seems like it knew she meant no harm, she thought.

She slowly came down with the help of Woohyun and pushing the cute kitten into Woohyun’s arms, she giggled in satisfaction. He hugged it in surprise and its head gently. It looks quite cute, he thought. Then, it reminded him that he should reprimand Miyoung for being so reckless again.

“Gosh. You’re always so thoughtless. This kitten will probably find its way down when it gets tiring, hungry, scared… Yah, are you even listening-”

Sensing no reply, Woohyun turned around and finally realized Miyoung wasn’t around anymore.

5 minutes later, Miyoung returned with a piece of cardboard box he assumed she got off the street, a bottle of milk and canned fish in her hands. Setting it up at the back of the alley, she placed the kitten and food inside. The kitten purred and started eating. Miyoung smiled in satisfaction. Woohyun did not realize that he was reflecting the smile off her face.

She was always like that- so innocent, so reckless.

-

“Stupid.” He scolded as they walked home.

“What?!” She poked his side in retaliation.

He kept quiet.

“What?!” She asked again, attacking his back this time.

“Which girl in the right mind would climb a tree with skirt and let others wolf whistle. Did you do it on purpose?”

“YAH! Nam Woohyun, you want to die?!” She stomped her foot and Woohyun ran ahead.

The two chased each other down 5 streets and Woohyun surrendered with both hands up.

“This girl.” Her stamina was too good, he thought.

“Actually… Next time, you can consider asking me to help.” He stated

“No thanks. I am afraid you’ll throw the kitty down for me to catch.” She retorted.

He rolled his eyes and stepped forward to knock some senses into her.

“Park Miyoung! Think about yourself more, you idiot.”

She waved his words off and suddenly, Woohyun caught her hand.

He stared at her intently and seconds later, his gaze softened.

Miyoung attempted to break free of his grip but he held onto her tighter.  

 “Yah. What’s wrong with-”

“Don’t move.” He ordered.

Woohyun dug into his bag.  

“You even have that?” she laughed out loud.

He stared at her and she held back the laughter as Woohyun tended to her wound.

“Isn’t this a must when I have a best friend that’s so prone to injury?” he returned the question.

“Sorry”, she smiled sheepishly.

“Not forgiven.”

She touched the plaster on her hand and smiled.

“Thank you, Woohyun.”