Chapter 8 : A Hope

Please Remember

CHAPTER 8 – A HOPE

“Hyesung-ah~ Breakfast’s ready!”

Hyesung rolled on his bed, covering his head with a pillow. No, he didn’t want to wake up. He was tired. He wanted to sleep.

“Hyesung-ah.”

Hyesung gripped the pillow tighter, stubbornly stayed still.

“Hyesung-ah.”

He felt the bed creaked receiving the weight, and a hand hovered on top of his, trying to loosen his grip, taking away the pillow.

“No…” he mumbled sleepily. “Don’t want to wake up yet…”

There was a chuckle and then he felt an arm around his waist. “Okay, have some more sleep.”

Hyesung felt a kiss on his shoulder, then the warmth of the other’s body when it touched his back and stayed, and his heart beat quickly got rapid in no time. Shy and annoyed, he got up in a flash, flipping to face his grinning Leader.

“I hate you.” He pouted cutely.

Eric smiled widely. “I love you too. Let’s have breakfast.”

“I’m sleepy. I can’t sleep last night.” The Little Prince was pouting still.

Eric ruffled Hyesung’s hair fondly and turned to sit on the edge of the bed. “Come.” He gestured to his back. Hyesung climbed up obediently, wrapping his arms around Eric’s shoulder. “You’re full of sense.” He murmured, resting his head over Eric’s.

“I have to if I have a super lazy Little Prince as a boyfriend.”

Eric carried Hyesung to the kitchen and put him on the kitchen island. Hyesung rubbed his eyes which were still so heavy to open. Eric took a cup of hot coffee before Hyesung’s lips.

“Hyesungie, here, have a sip.”

Hyesung took a sip of coffee and felt his sleepiness started vanishing slowly.

“Thank you, Eric-ah.”

Eric gave him a bowl of bibimbap, said jokingly. “Want me to spoon-feed you?”

Hyesung blinked and opened his mouth. The Leader was startled at the reaction but quickly recovered and scooped a spoonful of rice, feeding Hyesung.

“Aigoo you… Spoiled Little Prince.”

Hyesung was choked on his food. Eric got panicked as Hyesung hit his chest repeatedly, face red and coughing.

“Hyesung-ah! Hyesung-ah, water, here, drink water!”

Hyesung took the glass and emptied it, washing the food remains on his throat. He exhaled with relief, but then his head turned to the direction of the voice.

“What are you doing here?!”

Minwoo grinned from ear to ear, sitting comfortably on Hyesung’s couch and a satisfied look was plastered all over his face. “I happened to visit Eric first thing in the morning—work related stuff, you know, don’t misunderstand me—but he was out so I called him and he told me that he was here…”

Hyesung puffed his cheek angrily and turned to look at Eric, who was freezing on his track with spoon and bowl of bibimbap on his hands. “Why did you let him in?!”

“I couldn’t let him wait too long, could I?” Eric tilted his head. “But I couldn’t delay making your breakfast either.”

“But you could at least tell me—ish… Eric Mun don’t give me that puppy eyes!”

Minwoo chuckled. “These lovebirds…”

Eric opened his mouth, seeing Hyesung was so red he could cook a fried egg on his face, but Minwoo cut off. “Yah, come on, all of us can see it, even fans could see it… You’re being lovey dovey even on yesterday’s broadcast. All RicSyung stans out there are crying with happiness seeing your rather obvious skinship.”

Hyesung face palmed. . That Show Champion.

“Our members are happy for both of you too.” Minwoo said, assuring. “And I’m not saying this because I’m RicSyung president, no. Really, we’ve been wondering if we’d have to wait until the day of catastrophe for Eric to confess to you.”

Hyesung was still silent, pouting, while Eric prayed for Minwoo to stop, but he didn’t.

“Yah… Our comeback is a big success, we’ve been winning awards and RicSyung comes true. Life couldn’t get better.”

Eric sweat dropped. Minwoo was insensitive as ever. Eric was worried Hyesung would explode soon because of the embarrassment but to his astonishment the Little Prince sighed resignedly.

“Well… Sooner or later you’ll find out anyway.”

Minwoo jumped on the couch. “So it’s official?!”

Hyesung muttered, face red again. “What is official...”

“Minwoo-ya, just stop attacking him, would you? At least let him finish his breakfast first.” Eric sent Minwoo warning stare. Minwoo’s eyes glinted as he chuckled. “Okay I’m gonna stop for now.”

Eric handed the bowl to Hyesung. “Finish it, okay? I’ll take care of Minwoo.”

Hyesung nodded, watching as Eric dragged Minwoo outside while the shorter man struggled to stay in the room. Defeated, Minwoo waved goodbye to Hyesung and followed Eric back to his own flat. Hyesung hopped down from the kitchen island and walked to his couch, turning on his TV and resumed eating silently.

Not that Hyesung wanted to hide about the love confession from Minwoo or the rest of their members… But he just wasn’t sure yet.

Hyesung took another sip of coffee, staring blankly at the TV screen. Animated pictures were flashing before his eyes but he couldn’t really figure out what was that about, just like he couldn’t really figure out if Eric’s feeling to him was real. Indeed, Eric had been overly sweet towards him after the confession, showering Hyesung with affection and love, making him feeling the need to reply it, hence the Show Champion incident. But Hyesung couldn’t really comprehend how someone like Eric could fall in love with someone like him. That was also the reason for the main vocalist to decline Eric’s offer to move in with him. Eric didn’t push him, but then he moved to the same building as him and he let him be. Once again, Eric showed his consideration for him.

Hyesung sighed. He couldn’t be careless. If something happened between the two of them, it would affect the whole group. He was sure he wanted Eric, but how could he be sure that Eric wanted the same? What if Eric didn’t love him as much as he loved him? What if they needed to break up? Would he still be able to come to the practice room and look at him the same?

“No.” Hyesung bit his lower lip. “No.”

Hyesung finished his breakfast and walked to his bathroom. He needed shower to refresh his mind. While letting the cold water running down his body, Hyesung stared at the mirror. A pair of dark orbs stared back at him. He scrutinized his own face, frowning at the chubby cheek, and the thin lips, and the not so perfect nose. His palms flattened the cheeks, and his lips pouted.

“No good.” He mumbled desperately.

In his insecurity, Hyesung failed to notice that he had everything to make Eric go crazy about him.

He put the towel around his waist and pulled the bathroom door open.

“Hyesung-ah, I—” Eric stopped, mouth opened. “Sorry!”

Hyesung’s heart clenched when Eric turned around.

“Aish, I’m sorry, I should have told you I’ve come back.”

“It’s okay.” Hyesung said bitterly, walking towards his closet. Hyesung put on fresh clothes, thoughts swirled in his mind. Was it an appropriate reaction when you see your boyfriend heading out topless from bathroom? Didn’t you want to at least hug him or something? Why apologizing?

“Hyesungie?”

Hyesung gasped and turned his head, seeing Eric on the doorway, eyes questioning. “What’s wrong?”

Hyesung quickly shook his head. “No, nothing.” He walked to his couch, avoiding Eric’s stare. “So, what does Minwoo want?”

“He asked me to come checking out our concert venue. He wants to make some change regarding to the concept.”

Hyesung looked up. “You’ll go?”

Eric nodded. “Yeah. I want to know if it’s applicable.”

“But this is supposed to be our day off.”

“I know, but I’m okay with it.” Eric smiled. “I was coming to tell you that I’ll be out for a while…”

Hyesung bit his lower lip. “Can I… Can I go with you?”

Eric’s eyes rounded, but then he had a stern look on his face when he answered, “No.”

“Why?” Hyesung protested.

“As you said, this is our day off. You need to rest.”

Hyesung pursed his lips, looking at Eric discontentedly, arm crossed before his chest. “I’ve had all the rest I need.”

“No you don’t.” Eric said patiently. “Those eye bags of yours are no kidding. Your body has been busy helping souls to go through the next world and practicing and performing for our comeback and preparing for our con, so now that you have your precious time to rest you’re gonna make use of it.”

Hyesung looked away. “Fine.”

Eric kneeled before him, chuckling. “Are you sulking? You want to be with me that bad?”

Hyesung turned red and pushed him away. “Just go already!”

Eric grinned, leaning on to give a peck on the lips of very reluctant Hyesung. “I’ll be coming back really soon.” He then walked out from the flat, closing the door behind him.

Hyesung sighed, annoyed both at Eric’s and his action. Of course, he had hoped to spend this day together cuddling with him, but that workaholic Leader… And that Minwoo… Why should he ruin his plan?

“Mun Junghyuk, you idiot.” He pouted, reaching for his cell and texted Junjin.

                Little Prince         : Jin-ah, what are you doing today?

The reply didn’t come straightaway, and Hyesung watched the morning news as he waited. When the phone buzzed again, he took a glance at it, expecting a reply from Junjin, but finding a message from Dongwan instead.

                Donggumong    : Hyesung-ah, what are you doing today?

He typed the reply instantly.

                Little Prince         : resting. Why?

                Donggumong    : wanna come meet my friend in Cuncheon? I think maybe he can help you.

                Little Prince         : helping me?

                Donggumong    : about your AP problem.

Hyesung straightened his back, staring at his phone.

                Little Prince         : pick me up?

 

 

“Why didn’t you tell me about this friend of yours sooner?”

Hyesung and Dongwan were driving to Cuncheon to meet Kim Jongsu, Dongwan’s friend who—from Dongwan’s account—had dealt with various supernatural occurrence and Hyesung couldn’t help but questioning why Dongwan never mentioned a single word about him before.

“Well, even though I told you he usually deals with supernatural occurrence, the fact is he usually just dealing with exorcism or some kind like that so I wasn’t really sure…” Dongwan said. “But I talked about your case with him and he said he would do some research first. Last night he texted me that he found something and asked me to come so I thought you’d want to come, too.”

Dongwan parked his car in front of a simple looking house. Hyesung silently followed Dongwan’s lead to get out from the car and approached the front door. Dongwan pushed the intercom button and waited. Hyesung looked around, it was rare for someone to live in an individual house like this one, but he was Dongwan’s friend and Dongwan wasn’t ordinary person either.

“Yes, yes. Dongwan-sshi, come in…” came the answer from the intercom. “Oh? Isn’t that…”

The door cracked open and a man in his 50s appeared behind it. His hair was grey and rather long, and he had a pair of smiling eyes, he gave a vibe of someone kind and nice.

“Well, this is unexpected.” The man smiled, gesturing for the two Shinhwa members to come in.

“Thank you, Jongsu-sshi, this is Shin Hyesung…” Dongwan introduced them. “And Hyesung-ah this is Kim Jongsu-sshi.”

Hyesung shook hand with the man and flinched as he felt something like electricity went through his arm. Jongsu noticed the reaction and smiled even wider, letting go of Hyesung’s hand.

“Out of the people I know an ultra-sensitive, you’re the most unexpected one, Hyesung-sshi.”

Hyesung wasn’t sure how to reply and exchanged glance with Dongwan restlessly.

“Just sit down wherever you want.” Jongsu waved his hand carelessly. “I apologize if you find my place rather inconvenient. I don’t usually have guests, you see, it’s me visiting them for most of the time.”

Hyesung took a glance at the dust covered-furniture and fought the urge to look for a mop and clean up the whole room.

“But forget about the dust, I was talking about any kind of disturbance that may appear every now and then when we talk later.” Jongsu lowered his voice, face seemed serious all of sudden. “They don’t usually that active but with Hyesung-sshi here…”

Hyesung flinched again. “M-me?”

“Your aura is stronger in real life than what I watched on TV.” Jongsu’s smile was back to his lips. “But what’s with the dark shadow? Something’s been disturbing your mind lately?”

Hyesung opened his mouth, but found nothing to say. Of course he couldn’t tell the man to stop reading him like a book, could he? He was the guest here, it would be so impolite of him. With the corner of his eyes, Hyesung saw Dongwan stared at him with jealousy flashing in his eyes. Hyesung gritted his teeth, sending his friend a silent scolding, he would do practically everything to be able to switch place with Dongwan and became the normal one.

“So…” Dongwan cleared his throat. “You told me that you found something regarding this case?”

“Yes, yes.” Jongsu’s eyes were still on Hyesung for seconds before he finally averted his gaze to look at Dongwan—Hyesung sighed with relief.

“Even for supernatural standard, your case is unique, Hyesung-sshi, because for the silver chord to be weakened the two souls must enter the body in the exact same time. Difference of a millisecond could result one of the soul to be thrown out completely out of the body. But it happened to you.” Jongsu walked to his bookshelves, his fingers trailed the books one by one. “When I heard about it from Dongwan, I was interested, but I couldn’t say anything because I really didn’t have any idea about it back then, so I visited my friends and one of them gave me…” he pulled a book from the shelf. “…this book.”

Hyesung and Dongwan fixated their gaze to the book in Jongsu’s hand.

“I’ve visited many libraries trying to find some info but I found nothing.” Dongwan said.

“Well, I don’t think a diary will belong to any library.” Jongsu put the book on the table.

“D-diary?” Hyesung blinked.

“There’s only one record that’s ever been made about the case, there’s another person—and only one other person—who’s experienced what you’ve been going through, Hyesung-sshi.” Jongsu looked at Hyesung, his eyes pierced Hyesung’s. “And that one person wrote it all down here, in this diary.”

Silence reigned as Hyesung and Dongwan looked down to the book on the table. Hyesung held out his hand hesitatively. “May I… Read it?”

“Go ahead.”

The moment Hyesung landed his hand on the book, all the lamp flickered several times before going back on. Hyesung and Dongwan gasped, Jongsu growled.

“Here they come. It’s okay. They just want to play, they mean no harm.”

Dongwan looked around, his face slowly turned white. “Are they… Ghosts?”

“Spirits.”

Hyesung’s hand trembled, and Jongsu chortled. “I thought you’ve been used to this kind of thing?”

Hyesung shook his head. “Once I’m back to my body I become a—just… normal human.”

“So you mean… You never see things? Spirits or anything?”

“When I’m in my astral state, yes, but aside of it, never.”

Jungmo looked deep in thought. “…interesting. How come… An ultra only in particular thing?”

Hyesung dismissed his confusion and took the book. With shivering hand, he opened the cover and found a neat handwriting on the first page.

Because I don’t know when will be the last time for my soul to depart this world. It said, and Hyesung’s heart skipped a bit as he suddenly felt weak. He lifted his eyes and stared at Jongsu. “This person—did he… survive?”

Jongsu didn’t answer immediately and Hyesung felt his heart sank lower to his foot.

“Almost.”

Another silence fell among them. Hyesung was curious, he wanted to ask how this could person almost survived, but he was also afraid to hear the answer so he resumed flipping through the pages, scanning it with his eyes.

…tired of this thing.

I wanna be back to normal.

The Predator…

…don’t know if I could survive.

Hyesung stopped abruptly.

…like the oldman said, I don’t know if I should believe him or not but he looked convincing. Of course, he could be lying, but I’ll take the risk. That Jungmo oldman doesn’t seem like a bad person anyway.

“Jungmo… Knows something?” Hyesung whispered, faltering.

“What? Hyesung-ah, what?” Dongwan asked worriedly.

Hyesung startled, his eyes met Dongwan’s, he contemplated for a moment but then he shook his head. “No, I’m okay Dongwan-ah.” He looked at Jongsu. “Can I borrow this diary?”

“Sure. It was for you to read at the first place.” Jongsu nodded. “Oh! Dear me!”

“What?” Dongwan gasped, panicking.

“I didn’t serve you anything!” Jongsu quickly got up, walking hastily to the kitchen. “That was rude of me! Wait, I’ll prepare something… You’ll be ok with coffee, right?”

“Jongsu-sshi, you don’t have to...”

“I insist!” Came Jongsu’s voice from the kitchen, between the clanks of kitchen tools and things made of glass. “Wait, I should boil some water…”

Dongwan shrugged to Hyesung.

The Little Prince took a glance at the kitchen and said.”Where did you get to know this person from?”

“From facebook.” Dongwan answered in low voice. “He’s been my friend online for five years and he’s a nice person, we meet several times before and he was okay.”

Hyesung bit his lower lip. “Sure he is, and he looks credible. But that’s why I—ugh.” Hyesung reached out his hand out of reflex, trying to reach for anything when his vision suddenly became blurred and shaken.

“Hyesung-ah? What’s wrong?” Dongwan quickly approached him.

“I feel dizzy all of sudden.” Hyesung frowned, massaging his temple.

“I’m sorry, was it because your lack of sleep? I shouldn’t have asked you to come, should I? You should have some more sleep.”

“Dongwan-ah, please.” Hyesung lifted his hand to stop Dongwan’s babble, slightly annoyed to the fact that Dongwan didn’t really get over his guilt for making him involved in this whole AP thing. “It’s just momentary dizziness, I tell you.”

“Then have some rest, Hyesung-ah, please. Eric will kill me if he sees you like this. Have some rest for your own sake.”

Hyesung didn’t have a heart to make Dongwan get even more panicked than he already was, so he decided to obey his friend’s suggestion. Hyesung leaned on the couch and shut his eyes slowly. Maybe he was indeed lacking of sleep anyway. But then he felt something was not right, he could feel darkness in his surrounding… And even more, the existence of other entities around him. Voice began echoing around him, getting clearer and clearer as each second passed by.

“Run!”

“Save him!”

There was a long shriek, and Hyesung opened his eyes in an instant. He saw spirits ran around the room, avoiding something that looked like a female spirit. Hyesung shivered, the female spirit was spreading a very strong aura of vengeance and anger, and her voice was a high pitch scream. The spirits around him wailed as she succeeded catching a soul. Hyesung watched in horror as the demon stabbed the poor soul’s body with her long sharp nailed hands. Hyesung’s breath hitched, and the female spirit turned her head slowly towards him. Hyesung froze when his eyes met the red and empty eyes of the spirit.

Move. Hyesung heard a scream inside his head. Move, now.

The female spirit let out a long shriek and dashed towards him. Hyesung could barely avoid the sharp nails as he leaped on his feet and quickly made his escape through the wall, flying to the open air. Hyesung took a last glance to his body through the open window before darting away from the raging spirit, unconsciously shouted. “Dongwan-ah! I’ll come back soon!”

As if he heard what Hyesung said, Dongwan moved uneasily on his spot, scrutinizing Hyesung who was breathing in regular pattern, deep in his sleep.

“Hyesung-ah, you’re okay, right?” he scratched his head unconsciously. “Aish… Eric will kill me for sure…”

Dongwan jumped in shock when suddenly there was a loud thud followed by crashing voice came from the kitchen. He ran towards the kitchen and stopped, eyes widened in fear when he saw Jongsu was lying unconscious on the floor, cups shattered around him.

“Jongsu-sshi?!” Dongwan panicked. He kneeled down and shook the older man. “Jongsu-sshi, Jongsu-sshi!”

When the man didn’t make any reaction, Dongwan quickly touched his wrist, looking for any pulse. He sighed with a great relief when he felt the pulse.

“What should I do… What should I do…” he looked around, and then with one move he pulled Jongsu’s arm and put it around his neck, he then supported the old man and got up, slowly making his  way to his car. When he passed the living room, Dongwan saw Hyesung who was still sleeping.

“Hyesung-ah!” he called out loudly.

But Hyesung was still sleeping.

“Hyesung-ah!” he tried again.

Hyesung was sleeping still.

Dongwan hesitated for a while, but then decided to go on. Hyesung could wait, he would be okay, he would text him and he would be back here later to pick him up. Dongwan took Jongsu to his car, laid him on the back seat, and quickly drove to the nearest hospital.

 

Eric unlocked his phone and found a notification from his group chat from Junjin. He opened it and read.

                Park Choongjae               : anyone’s together with Hyesung-hyung?

Eric frowned.

                Mun Junghyuk  : he’s in his place, isn’t he?

                Park Choongjae : I thought he is.

                Mun Junghyuk  : ?

Park Choongjae : He texted me but doesn’t read my message or answer my call afterwards.

Eric’s frown got deeper.

                Mun Junghyuk  : maybe he’s sleeping.

                Lee Sunho           : hey, wanna meet up? I’m bored.

                Park Choongjae : ugh, no, why would I want to meet you in our day off?

                Lee Sunho           : :(

Eric locked his phone, uneasiness crept up inside him. He wanted to go home and make sure Hyesung was safe and sound in his flat.

“Minwoo-ya.” Eric called out to the co-CEO who was talking with their vendor.

“What?”

“We’re done here, right? I have something to do.”

Minwoo snickered. “Okay, we have discussed about the change anyway. I can handle the rest.”

Eric grinned. Minwoo, the ever understanding one.

“Thank you, Minbongie.”

“Sure, Eric-ah, have fun!”

Eric marched to his car and drove back to his apartment. He impatiently pushed the button of the elevator and waited for what felt like forever for it to come. Eric didn’t know what was wrong with him but he just wanted to see Hyesung asap that he unconsciously half-ran toward the Little Prince’s room. When he reached the door of Hyesung’s flat, he quickly entered the lock code and pushed the door opened.

“Hyesung-ah, I’m home.”

The apartment was silent. There was no sign of Hyesung in the living room.

“Hyesung-ah?”

Eric checked the bedroom, but Hyesung wasn’t there either. Eric scanned every room of the apartment, but it was empty. Hyesung was nowhere to be found.

“Where is he?” Eric mumbled to himself, pulling out his cell and dialed the Little Prince’s number. There was no answer. Eric tried several times before giving up.

“Jung Pilgyo where are you?” Eric hissed, stepping to the kitchen. Then he found small notes written with the bad hadwriting laid on the island.

Going with Dongwan. Will be back soon.
HS

“What is he doing? I told him to get rest.” Eric muttered peevishly, now calling Dongwan.

Hello?” came Dongwan’s voice in the other side of the line.

“Kim Dongwan, where are you and where did you take Hyesung to?”

Ah, Eric-ah… I’m in the hospital now, my—

Eric’s heart sank to his feet. “What? Dongwan-ah, what happened with Hyesung?!”

It’s not Hyesung! We visited Jongsu, my friend and he suddenly collapsed so I took him to the hospital. Hyesung is having a rest in Jongsu’s house. He was sleeping when I go and I don’t want to disturb him so I let him be.”

Eric exhaled. “Oh… Okay… I’m sorry… How’s your friend?”

He seems okay, but… I don’t know yet.

“Hope nothing serious, then.”

Thank you, Eric-ah.”

Eric said goodbye to Dongwan and hung up the call. So Hyesung was sleeping, that was why he didn’t answer his call. Eric thought for a while, biting his lower lip. The uneasiness didn’t fade away, it only grew bigger and stronger. Eric took out his cell again.

“Dongwan-ah, can I have your friend’s address?”

 

The kettle made a long whistling sound; it had been a while now. The side’d been burnt, and the water had drained completely. The flame was getting bigger and the nearby coffee wrapper. There was a blaze and the coffee wrapper started burning. Slowly, the flame reached the blind and it was set to fire. The kitchen was being engulfed by flames.

Meanwhile, in the livingroom, the empty body of Hyesung was sleeping peacefully.

= tbc =

AN: Don't blame Dongwan, please. His intetion was good. Hyesung was just unlucky.