Are You Okay

Fiction Or Fact

Eun Sung’s POV

 

From Gi Kwang

 

Eun Sung, my little girl. Happy birthday to you! Sorry for not celebrating with you but I have a present ready. You will know it soon! Keke.

 

I smiled and placed my phone down. Maybe I would reply him later next morning.

 

I couldn’t get to sleep after Yo Seob celebrated my birthday with me, in secret. So many things were going through my mind and Yo Seob’s behaviour was hard to comprehend. If he was just a normal friend, why would he go through all that for me? I gave up sleeping and wore my black-rimmed glasses, dull black jacket and dark blue hat. I stealthily went out of the house, locking the door behind me.

 

I wandered around the streets and no one recognised me. In fact, there was hardly anyone on the streets now. I passed by a small Korean restaurant who still had its lights brightly lit. Suddenly, there were sounds of crashes in the restaurant. I was taken aback at the loud noises and peeked in. A middle aged woman had dropped her plates and glasses on the floor. The woman had her hands behind her back and she looked like she was in great pain. She held onto the table for support as she tried to straighten her back. Without thinking, I rushed into the restaurant.

 

“Ajumma! Are you alright?” I asked with concern.

 

I crossed over the broken plates and glasses to help her up to the nearest chair. She looked pale and she couldn’t speak. She was in great pain. “Ajumma, are you okay?” I asked again for confirmation.

 

“My back…” was all she said.

 

“Do you have any medication or ointment in here?” I asked.

 

She pointed to the cabinet. I quickly scooted over to the cabinet and searched for it. There was an ointment. I opened the bottle and asked her, “Where does it hurt?”

 

“It’s okay, I can do it myself,” She replied gently.

 

“No, you shouldn’t. Your back is painful enough, let me help you,” I said it firmly.

 

She compiled willingly and she lifted up her shirt halfway to allow me to apply the ointment. I messaged her back with the ointment and her face gained back colour. “Ajumma, are you feeling better?” I asked.

 

She laughed a little and praised, “Your messaging is so good. I feel so much better. Where did you learn it from? You seem like an expert in this.”

 

I smiled at her comment and laughed along with her, “Not at all. My parents used to get often back pains so I’m used to it.”

 

“Used to? Does that mean they don’t get back pains now because your skills have cured their pains?” She laughed again.

 

I closed the bottle cap and placed the ointment back to the cabinet, “My dad passed away and my mum’s not living with me now.”

 

The woman turned around and had an apologetic face, “Oh, I’m sorry.”

 

I took the dustpan and broom to sweep all the broken pieces on the floor. She came towards me and tried to dissuade me from sweeping, “You’ve done enough, my dear!”

 

“Your back hurts, you can just sit there and take a break,” I answered her and pulled out the chair for her.

 

I cleared away the broken pieces and noticed that her finger was bleeding. “Ajumma! You got cut by the glass?” I exclaimed worriedly.

 

“It’s nothing…” She said.

 

“No, no. You need to disinfect it. Blood is oozing out!” I explained it to her.

 

I asked for her permission to touch her hand and placed her hand under cool water from the tap. I took the first aid kit from the same cabinet and helped to clean her wound. “My mum always told me that all injuries, whether minor or not, should be treated with care. If not, one injury leads to another. It can be serious.” I explained.

 

Her face turned soft and she touched my hair, “You’re a really sweet child to have. Your parents must be proud of you.”

 

I smiled slightly to her. She was wrong. They were never proud of me and I didn’t need them to be. I had a sad childhood. I loved my parents but it wasn’t the way I wanted to be. That’s why I never elaborated on my family. “I’m done.” I said to change the subject.

 

“Thank you so much for your help, my dear,” She thanked me profusely, “Let me cook you something. What would you like?”

 

I was about to reject but since she offered and it would be rude to decline her kindness. I looked around at her ingredients and decided on something simple to cook. I lowered my head as I felt embarrassed for suggesting, “How about seaweed soup?”

 

“Seaweed soup?”

 

“Today’s my birthday.”

 

“Really? Happy birthday! Then let seaweed soup be my birthday gift to you then!” She said enthusiastically.

 

She cooked in a jiffy and I ate the seaweed soup. I felt a mother’s love. I confessed to her comfortably, “I… I never had seaweed soup by my parents for my birthday before. It’s comforting and heart-warming to have it here, cooked by you. I’m deeply thankful for it.”

 

The woman listened to me patiently and held my hand with both her hands. “You can always come to my restaurant and visit me. I’ll cook for you.” She promised.

 

I had tears whelmed up in my eyes. I continued with the seaweed soup and looked at my watch. “Omo! It’s so late already. I didn’t notice the time, I’m sorry I have disturbed you for so long. You should be closing your restaurant…” I apologised and put back the bowl into the sink at the same time.

 

I helped her to wash the bowl and placed them in the right places. “Do you need me to help you close the restaurant?” I asked politely.

 

“It’s alright. I stay upstairs!” She pointed up.

 

“I’m sorry for disturbing you!”

 

“It’s okay! If you weren’t here to help me from my back pains, I’ll be in the hospital right now.” She assured me and held my hand, “I haven’t known your name yet.”

 

“My name is Eun Sung,” and I flashed a big smile at her.

 

“Eun Sung?”

 

“Yes, ajumma. I’m sorry but I need to leave now. I’ll visit you next time.” I promised her and held hand her firmly.

 

Upon leaving the restaurant, I gave her a last smile and waved to her.

 

No One’s POV

 

“Eun Sung? Oh my, her name sounds familiar. Even she looks familiar.” The woman thought to herself.

-

 

Author's Note: I know the picture has nothing to do with BEAST but it's damn cute!

Anyway, in case you think otherwise, I have a reason why this certain woman appear in this chapter. You will know it soon but ponder for a while about who's this myserious woman that Eun Sung has helped! :)

Alright I'm off to sleep now, very exhausted from work.