First Day

An Escape

You looked through the gate and into the school. Your mother had left after dropping you off and you hadn't move in those ten minutes since. Skipping wasn't an option since its the first day. Faking illness also wasn't an option unless you threw up. So you sighed. 

For some reason your school had made a stupid tradition where once a month and on the first day of school you could wear whatever you wanted. This gave most girls the opportunity to dress like s and guys to wear whatever.

You, however, had chosen to wear sweatpants, a sweatshirt, and sneakers. For reasons your other classmates didn't know and you tried so hard to hide. Sighing again you went through the gate and began walking up towards the school.

It didn't surprise you that as soon as you reached the stairs someone behind you threw a crumpled up piece of paper at you, hitting your head. You were used to it. What did surprise you was when some idiot tripped you when you got up the steps and instead of your head landing on the hard concrete with your books, you were caught and your head landed on a solid chest of some unknown guy.

Your eyes widened and you gasped and some jocks even booed. es. He steadied you then picked up your books while you stood there frozen, staring at the tall figure dressed in all black. Instead of handing them to you he grabbed your hand and lead you inside, carrying your books for you. You followed silently, still to shocked to process what had exactly happened. His hand was surprisingly warm and his eyes fierce as people stared. He then turned his head looking back and his eyes immediately softened.

"Hi." He said shortly and stopped in front of a locker. Your locker. You glanced at the locker then at him and pulled your hand away from his.

"Hi." You replied back. The corner of his lip twitched, it was as if he was holding back his smile. But before you could ask any questions he nodded at you, handed you your books, then went on his way. You watched him leave in confusion. Two things crossed your mind. Who in the hell is that? And how did he know where your locker was?

Neither of these questions could be answered before you heard someone clear their throat behind you. Just by the throat clearing you knew who it was. Byun Hyeri. Otherwise known as the schools . After sighing inwardly you turned slowly.

She, of course, looked like a . No shocker there. What did shock you was the very fake we're-friends-right?-even-though-I've-made-your-life-a-living-hell smile. "So Seulki sweetie, who's your friend?" Ah that's what she wanted. You shrugged.

"He's not my friend and I don't know." You spoke honestly. Her smile faltered slightly and she chuckled.

"You know Seulki it's not good to keep things from me~" She said in her sickingly sweet voice of hers. You showed no expression as you put your combination in your locker, put your unneeded books in there, then closed it and looked at her. 

"I'm not, I don't even know his name." You said, wishing them away as if it could be that easy. Hyeri frowned and slammed her hand on top of your books, making them fall to the floor. She then returned to her fake smile as you glared at her angrily. 

"I think you dropped something Sulkey." Her and her friends snickered at the stupid nickname they had given you years ago. "Next time try to be useful." She said then turned and walked down the hall, her gaggle of girls following her. You growled under your breath and picked up your books. Sighing, you pushed your longish brown hair out of your face.  It seemed with the sudden savoir and confrontation of the and her friends you had went from invisible to a yellow traffic cone. Great, you thought, as if this day could get any worse.

***

Oh it got worse. You walked into your small two storied house and let your bag fall to the floor with a plop. When you looked into the mirror your hair was frizzy. Hyeri was intent on making up for the summer she missed picking on you. You sighed and went into the kitchen. You grabbed your anti-depressant pills and popped two into your mouth and grabbed a cup, filled it with tap water, then downed the cup.

Then there was of course the fact that you had gym and failed miserably as an athlete. Your coach had yelled at you for ten minutes straight while you stared at the big mole on his cheek to distract yourself. And math, where you got the hardest teacher, as always. Your favorite class, history, was the only good part of your day. But of course you were studying the most ridiculous things.

For a second you wondered what would happen if you just took your jar of depressant pills and downed them all. You knew you'd probably die, but would it hurt? Doesn't medicine supposedly make you better so would it hurt if you purposely took too much? You shook your head at the thought. There was no doubt Hyeri would mess with the story to make it sound as if you were doing drugs and you did not want to be remembered as the guy that died because of that.

Back to history, your teacher had picked one of the weirdest topics to start off the year. Demonology, is that even a word?

Not to mention the new student who you had met earlier. Leo. Who weirdly was in almost every single on of your classes. During history the teacher had introduced him like so many other teachers that day, he sat at the back of the class, and you could slowly feel a hole in your head start to burn again as it did with every class you had with him. When he announced the topic the stare seemed to shift for a second, as if it had caught his attention for the splitest of seconds, then return to the back of your head. Like all classes you chose to ignore him as the teacher started the slide show.

You faded in and out of paying attention but a certain story caught your attention and you began listening intently.

"There are many stories of demons falling in love with humans," the teacher glanced around the room. "In all of these stories the demon often tries to 'woo' the one they are in love with," he changed the slide. "May it be with jewels, money, power, or anything their hearts desired they would give it to them," he chuckled before he continued. "Until their love was devoted to them and shared their love for them and became one." Of course one of the teacher pets raised her hand and the teacher soon called on them.

"But sir, demons are like spirits so how could they give them these things?" The teacher chuckled again.

"Ah yes, demons would take a human form, particularly abnormally handsome or attractive so it would be easier for them." She pondered this.

"And exactly how do they fall in love with a human in the first place?" She asked. The teacher smiled.

"Most of the time it's an accident where they see their future love and they immediately become interested in them," he pointed at the board of a picture of a demon following a girl. "Then they start to observe this human more closely until finally they become so obsessed with this human that they fall in love with them." He put his hands on his desk. 

Another student, one who had just woken up a few minutes ago raised his hand. "What did you mean when you said 'become one'?" He asked without permission. You furrowed your brow. You had been wondering the same thing. The teacher chuckled. "Does anyone else want to answer what they think I meant?" You didn't see it but you could almost feel Leo look at you when he raised his hand. The teacher nodded at him telling him he could answer. Ever since you're awkward moment this morning this was the first time you turned and looked at him, and you noted so did the rest of the class. 

He picked at his desk with his nails and his soft voice filled the now silent classroom not even glancing up. "You meant the same tradition that was used to seal a marriage, I believe it's called 'consummation'." He made air quotes around the word consummation and you felt your face blush at the thought and quickly looked forward. You heard many what'd and whispers after he talked and he chuckled lightly. 

The teacher nodded at him. "You are correct, now who in here can define consummation for the class?" You looked down and used your hair to create a veil over your eyes, trying to hide as much as possible. "No takers? Fine, Seulki define this word for us." You closed your eyes and held back your groan trying to think of the best way to explain it to a bunch of idiots without embarrassing yourself. You opened your eyes and looked up and glanced around. You could again feel Leos stare, as well with many others, on you.

Deciding to be blunt you said the first thing that popped into your head. "Its the act of sealing a marriage with ." You said quietly and ignored the snickers around you. The teacher nodded then smiled.

"Very good Seulki I suspect you'll do very good on your vocabulary tests in the future." You looked down again and decided to ignore the rest of the class as you thought about what you had just learned. It seemed so stupid That you didn't believe it. 

Then when you had been walking home the weirdest thing of all happened. Walking silently to your house You felt a presence behind you. Deciding to ignore it you continued walking. It was weird how the person kept a pace behind you. Just following you. It was just beginning to become near sunset since you had missed the bus, resulting in you walking. 

You didn't slow and the footsteps echoed behind yours. You turned a corner and got a glimpse of the person following you. Middle aged man, tall, muscular, and with dark hair. You tried not to make the quickening of your steps obvious but he kept in pace with you, quickening his pace also. But instead of staying his three yards behind you with a pace matching yours he quickened his pace more and grabbed your wrist. 

You opened your mouth to scream as he grabbed you and forced you into a alley but he covered your mouth and smirked. Just as he was about to say something you heard a crack. The crack a bone made when it was snapped. He screamed in pain and fell to the ground, holding his arm and revealing your savior who stood behind him. You gasped in shock and stared at Leo. His dark eyed reflected against the light as he stared down at the man. You opened your mouth to speak but he raised his hand, stopping you. 

"I'm walking you home from now on." Were his only words.

Your head snapped up and you were brought back to reality as you heard a car door slam signaling your parents were home from their weekly counseling. You gulped, grabbed your bag and ran upstairs as their yelling floated closer to the house.

As soon as you locked your bedroom door you heard the front door slam along with their yelling much louder and clearer. Going over to your stereo you blasted a heavy metal CD and laid on your bed. No homework was the only good thing about the first day of school.

As you listened to the screaming of a random band it somehow managed to almost lull you to sleep while the screaming of your parents gave you nightmares for days to come. You yawned and felt a comfort that for some odd reason you'd been feeling lately, only when you were about to fall asleep. Your last thought filled your head as you fell asleep but honestly it didn't even feel like your own thought anymore. Tomorrow will be better..

 

-Hey!!!!! I'm back so wassup!!!! Newww storieeeee!!! OMG its a long story how I got inspired to write this but I did and the person who this is dedicated to, who will remain anonymous, can probably figure it out. Also HEY BOO! Okay I gotta go and I hoped you enjoyed the first chapter and thank you for reading! Subscribe to join the bunny army and upvotes/comments are loved~ lots of love xoxo