Realizations

Navigating Trouble

Jihoon and Sungmin look around excitedly. “This is the first time you’ve invited us here.” Jihoon says as he explores my dorm. “It’s so big.”

“Noona,” Sungmin says, the calmer of the two as usual, “Is it really okay for us to stay for the weekend?” He asks hesitantly. “I know it is summer break and everything, but you must be busy.”

I smile at him and nod my head, hesitantly I reach out and pat his shoulder, Sungmin grins at the contact. “I’m not really that busy, besides, Dayoung, Julia and Melody really want to meet you guys.” I explain watching as Jihoon looks at all the pictures I have up. This causes both of my brothers to look at me, the alarm on their faces rather cute. “We’ll meet them tomorrow for lunch at Cube, no need to look so worried.” I say smiling.

“Noona,” Jihoon says seriously. “You can’t just spring that on people.” He says letting out a sigh.

Confused I glance to Sungmin to explain, who lets out a similar sigh. “Noona, they are famous. It’s something you ease people into.” He says chuckling as I slowly nod my head, obviously not getting it.

“Subin and Sunghoon said you wanted to tell us something,” Jihoon says suddenly looking over at Sungmin and me. “Something important.”

The elder of the twins sends Jihoon a look. “That’s another ease into it topic.” Sungmin says seriously. “We can wait to talk about it if you’re not ready.” He says turning to me. “We know a lot of this isn’t easy for you.”

I smile at both heading towards the living room. “We should probably discuss it first, better to get it over with.” I say as I take a seat, both having followed me. Jihoon and Sungmin both take seats on the couch next to my chair.

“Noona said it’d be serious,” Jihoon says a bit uncharacteristically, his serious mood makes the whole room seem a bit more tense, but then again maybe it really is just that tense.

Sungmin nods his head to back up our brother. “Hyung told us that it might change some things about the three of us.” Both share similar worried expressions, well honestly the exact same worried face. Jihoon and Sungmin are identical twins; it’d taken me months until I was able to tell them apart consistently.

I take a deep breath; I’ve been wondering how to bring something like this up exactly. How do I just tell my brothers that our father wasn’t and probably still isn’t a man of mercy? How do I explain to them the trauma I’d gone through, how it still haunts me? “It’s about why mom left dad and me.” I say quietly. Both lean in, their attention focused solely on me. “I’m not really sure how they were before me or when I was a baby,” I explain slowly still. “He started hitting mom and me though,” I say in small and ashamed voice. “Mom took you both, it got worse after she left with you both.” I say looking away and down at the floor.

“What?” Both boys say together, both sounding absolutely horrified by what I’ve told them. “How could it have gotten worse for you?” Jihoon asks angrily.

Looking up I let out a small sigh. “He started drinking. It only made him angrier and more prone to hitting me.” I answer the question simply. “It wasn’t until Aunt Subin came to see me unexpectedly; she walked in on one of his drunken rages. She took me away and called mom.” I explain in the same quiet and afraid voice, “Which sums everything up.”

Sungmin is the first to get up and grab my hand. “No, no, it does not sum everything up.” He says firmly as Jihoon comes over, kneeling down taking my other hand.

“Noona,” Jihoon says gently in a soothing voice, mimicking Sungmin’s. Neither says anything more, as there isn’t much more to say, our dad had been (and probably still) a violent and abusive drunk, our mother left me, but the three of us managed to be together. Jihoon simply murmurs my name over and over while Sungmin rubs calming circles on the top of my hand.

“Is that why you’re so distant with us?” Jihoon asks after a while. “Because mom left you?” The question is so tentative that I want to deny and make my brothers feel better, but I’m not sure I have it in me to lie to them.

“Yes,” I answer slowly. “I’ve been left with wondering why not take me too? Why leave me?” I say shakily. “I used to think about it a lot before Unnie took me away.” I tell them while letting out a sigh.

“You must be angry with mom,” Sungmin says knowingly. “We were really surprised to find out about you.”

Jihoon and Sungmin had explained their disbelief before in having an older sister, one they never knew about until mom was coming to get me. “I mean the look on her face when Noona called, it just kind of fell slack, then she started crying and apologizing over and over.” Jihoon says quietly.

“Let’s eat, I’m starving.” I say wiping my tears away, Subin had been right, it was time to let my brothers in on everything, I feel better, and lighter with them being this much closer to me.

 

~~~

Jackson complains to Julia as we show up again without Melody. “I thought you said she’d come this time.” He says in a huffed up and annoyed tone. “She isn’t even answering my texts or calls all that often anymore.” He continues to complain.

“Melody has been harder to talk to since you and she got stuck in that elevator.” Jinyoung says to Mark, who simply shrugs his shoulders in an annoyed sort of way. Jinyoung raises a brow to this. “Actually, you’ve been in a pretty bad mood since the showdown of the exs.”

Mark scoffs. “I have not.” He argues back firmly, which only seems to go against his case.

Julia back on point turns to Mark, a curious look on her face. “It’s just us here,” She says motioning to our usual group of friends. “So tell me, how did you know Melody dated Nichkhun, she’d thought you knew from how you react and comment on her friendship with him.”

Mark looks at her then to us before sighing heavily. “I’ve heard her and Nichkhun talk about it before, then when I was still a trainee I saw them together a few times after practice, I put two and two together.” Mark says indifferently, though this explanation doesn’t cover why he gets so moody about her.

Julia nods her head seeming to accept this, she turns to Dayoung. “You really shouldn’t be so hard on her.”

Dayoung simply shrugs her shoulders, I frown to this. She and Melody got along really well before she and Junhyung had their talk. “You know, she just takes whatever you throw at her,” I say worriedly. “Melody is worried that if she tries to defend herself that it will just make it worse than it already is. She doesn’t want to lose you as a friend Dayoung, nor does she want to lose Junhyung.” I tell her quietly.

“How would you know?” Dayoung asks sounding a bit offended.

I glance to the others before I answer. “Because I asked Melody to go to the party for Prodigy with me, the one for your new album, Dayoung, she said she didn’t want to spoil the mood. She would rather you guys all have fun than show up and everyone either uncomfortable or angry.”

“Dayoungie, some of the others are even giving her a bit of a hard time,” Julia says quietly and sounding rather worried. “Mel is my best friend, I don’t want her to feel cast out again. I don’t want her to be ostracized from everyone; Melody has been through enough as is.” Dayoung looks at her confusedly, as does most of the room. “It isn’t my place to tell, but just know if Mel feels like it’s better for her to leave, she will.”

No one says anything for a while, until Mark gets up and lets out a long sigh. “Let’s just get dinner already, I’m starving.” We all get up following behind him, Julia nudging me slightly, which catches me off guard. I bump into someone, turning to my right I see Jackson.

“Sorry,” I mutter nervously as I attempt more conversation with him. “That’s a really cool shirt.” I say deciding that maybe complimenting Jackson would start up some conversation.

“You think so?” He asks looking down at his own shirt. “It was a birthday present from Jinyoung.” He says smiling slightly.

I find myself smiling, it’s cute. Jackson grinning at the thought of the present somehow makes him easier to talk to in my mind. “It must be fun having a birthday in a group.” I comment easily. “A bit different I imagine than just the company or something.” I explain.

“I guess so,” Jackson says glancing to his band mates. “We’re pretty close, kinda like if we all got you gifts for your birthday.” Jackson says with a smile. “We should do that, being a soloist seems a bit lonely.” He says thoughtfully.

“It can be sometimes,” I say after a moment. “While at the same time I think it is better suited for me than being in a group.” I explain slowly. “I’m not exactly good with living or working extremely close with people quite like a group would entail.” I say while shrugging my shoulders.

“Kinda sad when you put it that way,” Jackson says quietly. “It can be a lot of fun being in a group though.”

I chuckle and nod my head. “I rather just keep that for hanging out with friends,” I say simply as Jackson and I walk together behind the others. It’s at this point that I continue to talk to Jackson, through dinner and even agreeing to exchange numbers with him.

 

~~~

 

“I’m positive that it was Melody we saw as we were walking in,” Jackson mutters while crossing his arms, “Don’t you think so Cheonmi?” He asks while turning to me.

Mark, Julia, Jackson and myself were the only ones still outside as we were walking in when Jackson allegedly saw Melody. “I don’t know, it did kind of look like her.” I agree glancing to the other two as we debate the sighting. “It looked like she was walking with someone.” I murmur thinking of the girl I barely saw as she and some man turned the corner.

Julia shakes her head. “That girl kinda looked like her, but I happen to know my best friend is at home in our apartment.” She says while dismissing the sighting entirely.

“I don’t know, the guy did kind of look like Nichkhun-Hyung,” Jackson pipes up gaining more confidence in the argument. “They do spend a lot of time together for Exs.” He claims.

I glance to Julia who simply rolls her eyes. “Mel isn’t that into flaunting relationships like that in person. Do have any idea how difficult it was to convince her to just admit publicly that we all hang out together? Mel is private about her social life.” Julia asserts firmly.

“I agree,” Mark pipes up. “She isn’t the type to just walk around with Hyung, that’d turn a few heads and make people question them.” He says smoothly.

I glance to Jackson and shrug my shoulders. “Even if it were them, what does it really matter?” I say to Jackson while shrugging my shoulders.

“It means that he’s stealing our Melody away.” Jackson says turning to me aghast. Turning to the others he frowns. “Don’t you guys miss hanging out with Mel?”

Dayoung lets out a long sigh. “Of course, but you know she’s been pulling back, even taking out the whole showdown thing.” Dayoung glances to Julia. “Besides, Junhyung seems to like that girl she’s been setting him up with, secretly.” She adds on with a smirk.

“I know nothing of such set up.” Julia says smirking right back. “She has a lot on her mind. I’m not sure what to tell you, she just needs a bit of space before she starts hanging out with us again.”

“How much time?” Jinyoung asks while leaning back in his chair. “It’s been weeks and I’ve hardly heard a word from her.”

“Yeah, the last time I talked to her was when I ran into her at a music performance recording,” Jaebum says gesturing to Mark, Jinyoung and Jackson.

Mark lets out a long sigh; turning to Julia he frowns slightly. “Just let her know we’re all waiting for her to come back and hang out, so can we please change topics?”

Jackson smirks. “Why? If you and Mel could manage to get along for five seconds I’m sure you’d end up dating.” He teases.

“Jackson, Mel wouldn’t be interested and neither am I.” Mark states in a deadpan tone while looking across the table. “Besides aren’t you getting along rather well with Cheonmi recently?”

I blush and bite my lip. “I think you guys are cute when you get all immersed in some random conversation.” Julia says chuckling, Dayoung nodding her head in agreement. “Jackson, are you blushing?”

I glance to see that he is in fact turning a bit red. “I’m fine with you guys teasing and stuff,” He mutters while glancing to me. “But why don’t you just tease me?” He mutters a bit louder, “Just me.” I find myself smiling at him, a bit more and a lot less embarrassed from the teasing. Julia simply gives Dayoung and me a look before smiling.

“Alright, aside from Melody being too busy to hang out and Jackson being a selfless gentleman for once,” Jinyoung says while ignoring Jackson’s outburst. “What else is up guys?”

“What about you and Ilhoon?” Jaebum asks Dayoung.

I glance to Jackson, a smile on his face as he listens to the jokes Dayoung makes about Ilhoon and their antics. I quickly realize why I have such conflicting feelings towards this loud-mouth and crazy boy. He’s nice in his own way, persistent, and very much himself no matter what he’s doing. Jackson is a lot like who I am to be. I like him. I like Jackson.


I apologize for the extremely long hiatus I took from writing this.
^^
I hope you guys enjoy this.