The Start

Navigating Trouble

It was one of the rare times I decided to visit home. I sit at the table across from Jihoon, he grins at me happily. “How’s practice going?” My younger brother asks openly and friendly.

I smile at him and nod my head trying to find the words for a moment. “Pretty good, Dayoung is really helpful; she points out all the things I need to work on.” I say graciously.

Sungmin, the elder of the two smiles at me, “Noona, I really like your song.” He says just as happily as our brother had sounded.

“We listen to it a lot here around the house.” Sunghoon says cheerfully. “Your vocals are superb Cheonmi.”  He compliments me genuinely.

“Thank you, that means a lot to me,” I say just as sincerely. I glance around the table; it is times like these that I have a hard time being here. I’m always afraid of what will happen. I don’t want to be the one to ruin things. “Dinner is really good Unnie,” I say changing the subject.

“You know, being an idol means soaking up the attention, right?” Subin says gently, “But I’m glad you like it. You won’t get in trouble or anything right?”

I shake my head happily as I eat. “I’m diet free for a while, I’m getting a ton of exercise daily and besides everything you guys make here is super healthy anyways.” I say relieved that the subject has in deed changed. I listen mostly as my family discusses what they’ve been up to, how Jihoon and Sungmin are doing in their classes. “Noona, are you feeling alright?” Sungmin asks me as I focus back on him.

I nod my head and smile at him. “I feel fine, a little tired is all.” I explain to them as I attempt to calm their now worried glances towards me. “When I decide to do this I knew what it would take, I made it through training; I’ll be fine.” I tell them again more reassuringly this time.

As we finish our meal, I help Sungmin and Jihoon gather up the dishes to be washed the three of us making a line to wash, dry and to put them up. I glance at my brothers; I feel the same sense of jealous and bitter feelings rushing through me. I push the thoughts away and focus on the task at hand.

“Noona, we’re really proud of you,” Jihoon says breaking the silence. He doesn’t add on anything else, just sends me a sweet smile.

Sungmin chuckles nudging his twin, “It’s always really nice when you come home to visit. You’re not lonely in your dorm, are you?” He asks concernedly. “We worry about you.”

I shake my head and smile at them soothingly. “I’m fine, besides I’m usually at practice or the studio.” I say gently. I glance to the doorway where Subin and Sunghoon are both standing watching. “You guys worry too much.” I say while shaking my head and putting the last plate up.

Jihoon frowns walking over to me and in one swift movement he hugs me, I flinch at the contact, but quickly adjust to hug him back. “Noona, just promise if you ever get lonely you’ll call or do something about it!” He says. “Try to make new friends too!”

I nod my head silently promising to do all those things. Jihoon finally let’s go of me only for Sungmin to throw his arm around me, “Come on Noona. Let’s go watch a movie together.”

 

~~~

I glance down at my feet, rubbing them gently. “You’ll work over yourself.” Melody-sshi, a soon-to-debut-artist says gently. She makes a funny face as if trying to figure out what she’d just said.

“You’ll overwork yourself,” I say timidly helping her out.

Melody grins happily, plopping herself down in front of me. “Thanks, I’m still working on the language. Junhyung keeps dogging me about it.” She says while rolling her eyes. “I don’t mind it so much, but if he has me do tongue twisters one more time I’m going to throw an egg at him.”

I giggle slightly, I’d met her and Julia when I first became a trainee here; they’re both really friendly, and funny. “Well Melody-sshi,” I say smiling back. “You’re certainly getting better. But it looks like you speak perfectly when upset.” I say giggling slightly, but only at Melody smirking rather pleased with this statement.

“You know, Cheonmi-sshi,” Melody says leaning back on her arms. “I really miss having practice with you, Julia does too.”

“We should practice together again then,” I say automatically, I do miss having practice with other people, though it is rather fun to have practice with Dayoung.

“There you are,” Julia says coming in with Dayoung, who grins happily at us. “I was just telling Dayoung that someone upset a certain older brother.”

Melody turns to me aghast. “Cheonmi, that’s your sunbae!” She says jokingly, before turning towards Dayoung and Julia. “He was being a bit too…naggy.”

“I know what you mean.” Dayoung says sympathetically. “So Cheonmi, how’s it hanging?” Dayoung asks happily. “You’re here kinda late actually.”

“I was practicing, Sunbae” I say a bit shyly. “Trying to perfect those parts you told me I needed to work on.” I say a bit embarrassed. “I was just taking a break when Melody-sshi, came in.”

“Cheonmi, they were just minor things, and please, please, please stop calling me sunbae, I’m hardly your sunbae.” She says scrunching her nose up to the word.

“Dayoung-sshi,” I say instead testing it out, it feels strange to call her something less formal. “Are you sure?” I ask her hesitantly.

She nods her head zealously. “More than sure and only because I know you won’t call me Dayoungie just yet.” She says while sighing. “Anyways, I started talking to this guy,”

“Not Ilhoon?” Melody asks smirking happily as she teases Dayoung. “Won’t he be jealous?”

She sends her an amused look. “Don’t make me pull out the Junhyung Card,” She teases right back, which seems to work. “As I was saying, I’ve been talking to Jackson, from GOT7, the group that just debuted. Anyways, I’m having dinner with him and a few of his friends, I told him I’d brings some friends too, Sooyoung and Yoora are busy with musicals and filming, but more than that, you guys I’m really close with.” She says excitedly.

“You want us to go out and have fun before we even debut?” Melody asks in a mock appalled tone. “Count in me.”

Julia smirks to her friend. “Count me in,” She corrects her chuckling lightly. “You always make the same mistake; you think you’d realize it after a while.”

Melody waves her hand to this. “Cheonmi, you’re going to come too right?” I look at the others nervously and attempt to shake my head, but as I glance at them I realize right away that it isn’t an option. Besides I promised my family I’d make new friends; I nod my head a bit resignedly. “Glad you’re coming around.” Melody says while patting my back. “Aigo, peer pressure works here too.” She teases me slightly.

“Please don’t leave me alone is all I ask.” I tell them smiling slightly, though to be perfectly honest, this kind of thing scares me, “Who else is going to be there?” I ask hesitantly.

Dayoung-sshi pouts momentarily before naming people off. “Jackson said he’s bringing Mark, Namjoon, and BamBam for sure, he was talking about a few other people, but we’re just meeting for dinner so you can sit by one of us for sure.” Dayoung says happily. “Hey, Melody you were a trainee there before you came here, do you know them?”

Melody shakes her head before nudging Julia. “Not really, I was really focused on my lessons and stuff.” She says simply.

Julia smirks at her but doesn’t say anything, I glance to Dayoung who seems to accept this, but only because neither of the others are saying anything. “Will Ilhoon-sunbae be coming as well?” I ask curiously.

It isn’t exactly unknown that Ilhoon and Dayoung are dating, but everyone is fairly careful about talking about them. “No, I invited him, but he and Peniel already made plans with some other guys to hang out.” She says while shrugging her shoulders.

“You sure it’s not because he doesn’t want to be the jealous boyfriend?” Julia teases smirking. Dayoung shakes her head and lets out a heavy sigh. “Trouble in paradise?”

“No,” She says sighing. “We’re just being careful.” Dayoung says though she seems a little irritated by what she’d said.

Before any of us can say anything Junhyung comes in, sharing a similar annoyed air as Dayoung. “Melody, Julia, we have practice.” He says seriously. “It’s nice to see you Cheonmi-sshi.” He says bowing slightly to me.

Standing up I do a full 90-degree bow. “Sunbae, it’s nice to see you as well.” I say nervously. Julia and Melody get up leaving, both grumbling about the other causing trouble. “Dayoung-sshi,” I say chuckling slightly as Melody makes a big show about following Junhyung out. “You seem troubled.” I say concernedly as I take a seat again.

“It’s nothing; do you want to practice together?” Dayoung asks; she looks as though it’s the only things she wants to do. I stand up and head over the stereo, pressing play. “So, how do you like debuting?” She asks curiously as she gets up and stretches.

I consider this for a moment, “I like it, I sleep better at night now.” I confess following suit and stretching. “Before and leading up to my first stage I’d been nervous and unsure I’d be able to actually debut, was it like that for you?”

“Yeah, a lot like that actually.” Dayoung says sounding reminiscent. “I’d been so nervous the day before I kept making the same mistake in the choreography. Junhyung had to come in and snap me out of it.” She explains simply.

I’m envious of their relationship, how close they are and their bond being so solid. “Have you and Junhyung-sunbae always been so close?” I ask her hesitantly, unsure if I want to know the answer.

“It took a while for us to get as close as we are, but Junhyung has always been there for me, I want to always be there for my brother like he is for me.” Dayoung says chuckling slightly. “That was kinda sappy; don’t tell Junhyung I said anything like that.” I nod my head, slightly put off for some reason. “You have brothers, right?” Dayoung asks suddenly.

I nod my head; I’ve always hated talking about my family. “Twin brothers, both are only a few years younger than I am.” I explain calmly.

Dayoung scrunches her nose up cutely. “Do you miss them? You live in a dorm right?” She asks worriedly. “Or do you get to live at home?”

I shake my head and smile a little. “I live in a dorm, but I do miss them,” I say genuinely. It’s the being around them I have a hard time with. Sungmin and Jihoon, they’re both really nice and supportive, maybe we’re on our way to being like Junhyung and Dayoung. “So when are we going to be hanging out with these other people?” I ask hesitantly.

Dayoung sends me her usual grin, happily as the song restarts, cueing me to start. “This weekend, do you have a schedule?” I shake my head, unable to lie to Dayoung like that. “Fantastic, Julia is going to meet Melody, you and I there, but it shouldn’t be too crowded for dinner.” She says excitedly.

~~~

“I don’t know Dayoung-sshi.” I murmur looking at her hesitantly, Dayoung happily looking at me with her usual carefree expression across her face. “Is it really ok to go?” I question.

Grabbing my hand she nods her head. “It’ll be fine, and if it turns out not to be, my entire fault.” She says with a huge grin spread across her face as we get in the van. “Besides it’s just a friendly little interaction with some other idols, other people.”

Melody-sshi hops in right behind us with an equally excited grin on her face. “Well this just got better, Dayoungie and Cheonmi going?” She says sitting on my right side. “Plus no supervision from the overlord, this is going to be great.”

Dayoung seems equally excited. “I know. Junhyung has been so naggy the last couple of days.” She says while rolling her eyes, I look at both girls nervously. “You know Cheonmi, we’ll both be there it’ll be fine.” Dayoung says while wrapping an arm around me. “And enough of this –sshi stuff, just Dayoungie.” She commands with a grin spread across her face.

I nod my head a bit hesitantly. “Dayoungie,” I say testing it out, it’s strange not to call her sunbae or anything, but Dayoung refuses it completely, even more than –sshi.

“Yeah, while we’re on that subject just call me Melody or Melanie for me too!” Melody adds on while hooking her arm with mine. “We’re all friends here.”

I nod my head and smile, I feel a lot better with them around. “I’m really glad you guys are going.” I say voicing my relief.



So here is the first chapter~!
Jackson and the boys will make their entrance soon!
Also, I just posted Mark's story as well. ^^
I hope you enjoy c: