War

The Bully

Because of the Raven Prince’s prayer to the Dark Gods against the Nabi Empire, the lands of the opposite empire began to shake. An earthquake was sent to them by the gods to rattle their land and destroy them. The citizens felt this strong shake and were instantly awoken. They all panicked and though they knew they weren’t supposed to, they still did. Everyone was in a state of fear.

The Choi residence was no exception. When So Hyung and Minho felt the earthquake, they got up as soon as they could and ran to Soo Young’s room when they noticed that she hadn’t gotten up. Minho kicked the door open and was shocked to see the sheets a mess and the bed empty, suggesting that Soo Young had left.

“Mom! Soo Young’s gone!” Minho said. So Hyung rushed to her son’s side and saw the empty bed. The shaking made her fall to the floor with her hand covering . Minho saw that she fell hard and helped her up.

“No! No! Not my baby girl! Soo Young! Soo Young come home! Don’t go to war!”

“Mom, come on! Let’s get out of here!” Minho said as he noticed the light bulbs shaking. So Hyung refused to move from her spot but Minho was persistent in trying to lift her. Finally, his mother got up and ran with him. The two headed to the basement, also known as their panic room.

Turns out Soo Young had already escaped when she felt the first shake. The young warrior was biking quickly down the road with her army uniform on. The jacket she wore was camouflage and she had on a white racer back inside. She wore the same print pants and army boots.On her back was the Holy Sword, an instrument she was sure not to forget. The shaking of the ground got heavier and heavier, making it hard for the 17 year old commander to bike her way to the army base. She was ale to arrive safely, though. Upon arriving, she was surprised to see her men all lined up and ready for battle. Soo Young got down and teetered her way to the front. The troops saw her and saluted. Not used to the army setup and their customs, she saluted back.

“Men! This earthquake is a sign of war! The Raven Empire is about to attack. Ready your weapons and remember what we trained for. This is not for supremacy. This is for honor and glory. For our country!” Soo Young saluted them once more and they saluted back. It was hard for Soo Young, who was a very inexperienced fighter, a young girl plucked from obscurity by the Empress’ royal messenger, chosen to lead the army. Soo Young nervously stood before them with her back turned, closing her eyes and giving herself a silent moment.

In my life, I was always the underdog. I was always the one being pushed around and stepped on. But now, I am going to rise. I know I haven’t been the strongest person around but if this should be my last prayer, if this should be my last breath and if my blood shall pour today, let it be known that I did it for my country, for the gods, for Empress Sandara, for my father. Me dying isn’t impossible. I know that I told my mother I wouldn’t die but I know that there is a chance I will. If I die, I die with glory. I die with courage.

A great fire broke out, eliciting panic amongst the cityfolk. Soon, their land was in ruins, all because of the Black Pearl.

The Raven Emperor was readying his troops for attack. They were all dressed in black, just like the color of the bird that was the name of their empire. The cocky young emperor pranced in front of his troops and ordered them, reviewing their strategy. He was very sure that they were going to win against the Nabi Army, knowing that Empress Sandara was a weak ruler who knew nothing about battle and that their great Commander Choi Jin Hyuk was now dead. The Raven Emperor was so sure of their victory.


“When we annihilate their Empress and the Army, we own their land! We rule with the Black Heart.” he said. The troops took deep breaths and grinned with greed. The smug look on the Raven Emperor’s handsome face spelled evil.

“Today we attack! Their city is in ruins. They cannot fight. They cannot do anything. They will be ours!” The Raven Emperor looked around and called for his two drummer boys.

“Lads! Assume position.” he stared at the rising sun with squinting eyes. “Begin playing your drums for this moment, we march forth to the city of the Butterfly.” The evil ruler put his right foot forward and with the beat of the drum, the dark troops marched to the entrance of the city.

The Nabi Empire was the way the Raven Prince imagined it would look. Buildings were crumbling, people were running and screaming, things were burning. An evil cackle came out of the Raven Prince’s mouth at the sight of his masterpiece. The people who were against them and blamed them for the ruin of their city charged at him but were shot by his men’s bayonets. His power was unstoppable and he was even more supreme when he held the Black Pearl in his hand, possessed by the Dark Gods. Everyone ran and hid in fear.

 


“That cadence. I hear it.” Commander Choi Soo Young said. “They’re coming. And that means, we move forward.” The troops stood straight and waited for her command. With one huge voice that had never been heard from her before, Commander Choi Soo Young said,

“FORWARD! MARCH!” she pointed north with the Holy Sword and with her troops, marched forward to meet with the Raven Army. Armies of camouflage and black were seen making their way down the street to resolve things face to face, like a chess game. When the two armies finally reached the convergence point, a great surprise greeted both Commanders.

“No… you aren’t!” Choi Soo Young shook her head in disbelief. Her heart sunk at what she saw.

“I can’t believe it? You?!” the Raven Emperor cringed in disgust.

Turns out that the Raven Emperor was Lee Donghae all along! The mean bully at school who tortured Soo Young and the other outcasts almost everyday was actually a black-hearted prince who waged war on their land and destroyed almost all their properties! But what Donghae couldn’t believe was that Soo Young, the girl that he threw in the dumpster, was the leader of an army.

“Pleasure to meet you, old friend.” he smirked arrogantly. He wore a black coat, black polo, black slacks, and black shoes. His weapons were all inside his coat as well as with his army men. Soo Young just froze in disbelief.

“You son of a . You were the culprit all along! You killed my father!”

“Enough talk! I want my share of the land!” Donghae took his pistol out and fired it, signaling his army that it was time to attack. Soo Young pulled the Holy Sword out and spun it in the air, pointing backwards, signaling the Nabi Army to attack. Soldiers ran from both sides and began to war with the opponent. Soo Young and Donghae continued their conflicts with the sword. Donghae had a mighty sharp sword with him, too. He pulled this out and while their warriors were busy killing one another, Soo Young and Donghae circled each other, eyeing each other viciously.

“You bastard! You killed my father!” Soo Young raised her hands with the sword in it and attacked Donghae. Donghae used his sword to cut a small gash on her arm. Soo Young whimpered as blood poured out but she refused to give up. Soo Young and Donghae duelled it out like two medevial knights. Soo Young was constantly praying while fighting, hoping that the gods would work their magic on her. A soldier attacked her from behind but she tackled him with all her might, flipping him, kicking him, punching him, and killing him on the spot. Several other soldiers charged at her while her soldiers charged at Donghae. It was slice after shoot after punch after kick. It was just one bloody war in the city. Soo Young and Donghae went their separate ways, warring with other soldiers. Soo Young had to keep the sword and show off her martial arts skills by combating some soldiers bare-knuckled. She also had to make use of the guns by shooting some and killing some. By sunrise, she had already killed more than half of the Raven Army, proving her prowess as a warrior. Donghae saw the damage that was done and told his remaining men to charge at Soo Young.

“MEN! ARROWS! READY!” the Nabi Army took out their bows and arrows and assembled them.

“AT MY COMMAND!” the troops were getting closer and closer to them. “GO!” Altogether, they made it rain with arrows, killing and injuring multitudes of soliders, including Donghae. Donghae was hit by an arrow in the thigh.

“We’ve outnumbered them! Attack!” Soo Young led her army to the Raven troops and with the camouflage outnumbering the dark troops, they were able to kill the remaining soldiers and leave just one member of the army living-the Emperor. Donghae was in severe pain. His thigh was bleeding and he knelt helplessly on the ground. Choi Soo Young walked over to him with the Holy Sword in her hand. Donghae stared at her and glinted his eyes.

“You may bully me at school. You may push me around and throw me in the dumpster. But wake up and smell the coffee, Lee Donghae. This isn’t the schoolyard. This is real life.”

“You talk ! You’re a weakling! I still have the Pearl!” he boasted though he was convulsing.

“Because of the crimes you committed against our land, I guess mercy would be the last thing on my list.” Donghae tried to stand up and took his gun out. He pointed it at Soo Young, ready to pul the trigger. Soo Young froze on the spot but tightened her grip on the Holy Sword.

“Don’t move.” Soo Young was petrified and tried to think of a way to kill him. Donghae’s finger was on the trigger.

“I think not!” she got on her knees and stabbed Donghae with the Holy Sword, driving it deeper before taking it out. The bloodied sword was raised in the air and with one mighty swing, Soo Young yelled out,

“OFF WITH YOUR HEAD!” she used the powerful sword, guided by the gods, to cut Donghae’s head off. The headless body of the Emperor fell to the ground along with his head. An exhausted Soo Young stood in the middle of the ruined city. Her troops came to her and aided the young girl.
“The Pearl! Find the Pearl!” Soo Young said. The Pearl was just right beside a dead soldier’s body. It was black but was starting to whiten due to the death of the evil Emperor. Soo Young took it in her hands and stood with her army.

From the dust and the debris came Empress Sandara Park with Hero Jaejoong by her side. A tired and bloodied Soo Young walked to the Empress and bowed before her, presenting the Pearl and the Holy Sword. In all her humility, she got down on both knees before Empress Sandara.

“Your highness, I have brought the Pearl back.” Empress Sandara took the Pearl in her hands and watched as the dark color faded. She looked at Soo Young and smiled at the young girl’s humility and bravery. She placed a hand on her head and lifted her chin.

“Stand up, Soo Young.” Soo Young stood up and bowed once more in gratitude.

“I’m afraid you don’t have to bow to me anymore.” Sandara said.

“What?”

“You don’t have to bow to me anymore.”

“Why not?”

“You have displayed immense courage and determination. From the ashes you rose. An ordinary girl to a commander. Your father would’ve been very proud of you.”

“But I-”

“Come to the temple tomorrow.” Sandara said. Soo Young was left in a state of confusion.

[TOMORROW]

The following day, Soo Young’s showed up in the Temple of the Gods. She wondered why there were so many people. On the platform were Empress Sandara and her messenger Hero Jaejoong. Soo Young looked decent enough in a white dress with matching white shoes. Her hair was done the way it was done in the war-short and messy. Before the Empress she stood, she bowed and humbled herself before the Empress.

“Have I not told you?” Empress Sandara said. “You don’t have to bow down to me.”

“I’m sorry.” Soo Young stood up and said, “But I don’t understand any of this.”

“Please sit down, Ms. Choi.” Hero invited her. Soo Young had no choice but to sit on the throne. The Temple of the Gods was chosen as the coronation site. He ordered the servants to open the grand doors and show her to the world. Soo Young was surprised at the great number of people that were watching. There was a crowd before the Temple, all eyeing her. Clad in a beautiful hanbok and with a golden comb on her hair. Soo Young just looked at her with awe as she made her way gracefully to the front to address her people.

“People of the Nabi Empire. Before you is a young lady. Now many of you may not know her but the reason why I gathered my beloved people here is because I want to celebrate the victory of the nation over the Raven Empire. But that wouldn’t be possible without the leadership of this brave and gallant lady right here. Choi Soo Young is 17 years old. An average student like the youngsters here. She told me how she was pushed around in school but when the gods called for her in battle, she said no. Soo Young displayed determination and courage, two noble traits that every empress must possess. Soo Young’s leadership was extraordinary and I owe all my gratitude to her. She saved our land. She has proven that will and strategy can win over physical strength. She may not be of royal blood, but what she has done is enough for me to bow down before her.” Soo Young was in total shock. Her eyes widened and began to tear up. She couldn’t believe what was happening in front of her. Empress Sandara took her crown off and stood before Soo Young who was petrified in her seat. Sandara placed the crown on her head and said,

“Before the country Korea, I shall step down from my position and proclaim you, Soo Young Hwang-hu. General Commander Choi Soo Young, Empress of Korea.” with these words, Sandara Park and Hero Jaejoong bowed before her. The entire nation followed suit and Soo Young stood before her nation with eyes welling with tears, in total disbelief of the miracle that had just occurred. The newly crowned Empress stood up and walked forward to speak before her nation.

“As your new Empress, I promise to bring prosperity and tranquility to this land and defend it in times of need and I shall accomplish it with the Pearl, the Sword, and the Gods on my side. I hereby banish all evil and injustice. Our country will be as one.” Soo Young ended her beautiful speech and the nation rose to applaud their new ruler.

“I think she is going to make a fine Empress for the next few years.”

From then on, Korea began to prosper. They hadn’t seen war or injustice in years and they were as prosperous as they could be. Empress Choi Soo Young had surpassed the rule of her predecessor Sandara Park and they couldn’t be any happier. Who would’ve thought that the person who could lead a nation to success was a person who was thought of to be a failure?


[closing song: “Who’s Laughing Now?” by Jessie J.]