Dark Powers

The Bully

In the hands of the Korean Mafia, Empress Sandara was powerless. These men were very wealthy, powerful and dangerous that whatever they wanted, they usually got and for this, they made the Empress their slave. Empress Sandara did not want to lower herself to this level but in order to save her life, she had to do these tasks. Working as a slave wasn’t easy. It wasn’t all about labor, it was also painful. Yunho, the mob boss, frequently hurt her and her, leaving her in a pitiful and wounded state. Empress Sandara, however, refused to give in to the abuses and die. She pulled through it all, with the desire to survive and lead her empire’s uprising.

“You’re going to be doing a hell lot for us if you want to live, Empress!” said Yunho mockingly, lighting a cigarette and puffing smoke in her face. The petite Empress coughed. She was sitting on the floor, clad only in a torn nightgown with her hands tied to a post. Her face was bruised and her beautiful, thin lips were busted open. Sandara looked like hell and was as good as without her royal gown on. Her hair was dishevelled because of excessive pulling that occurred whenever she resisted to his demands. Sandara looked starved, obviously got thinner, paler and her eyes and cheeks were more gaunt.

“I am willing to do whatever it takes to live. I live for my country.” Empress Sandara stated. Yunho puffed smoke and threw his cigarette on the floor, stepping on it.

“Then you are most definitely willing to give in to my demands.” Yunho once again stripped before her, ignoring the fact that she was a high official, a ruler. Sandara saw him this way and though she had frequently seen him take his clothes off before her, it still never failed to make her cringe in disgust. Yunho bent down to untie her from the pole and disregarding her position as the Empress, dragged her from the basement all the way to a dark room that was nearby. He locked themselves up in that room and proceeded to the Empress. Sandara screamed out not in pleasure but in pain, hoping that it would all go away. She screamed expletives at Yunho who took this as offense and resistance and grabbed a cigarette from his pocket.

“Shut up, Sandara!” he spoke aggressively and lit the cigarette. He puffed smoke and burnt Sandara’s skin with the end of the cigarette. Yunho pressed it all over her body, from her face to her neck to her arms to her legs and he didn’t stop there. He took his belt off and began to whip her. Sandara tried to shield herself with her arms but Yunho’s blows were just too strong that they left deep gashes on her skin. Yunho spat on the ground and threw his belt on the floor, leaving the room and Empress Sandara in the dark, cold and beaten.


Upon exiting the room, Yunho was informed by one of his mafia men that some invaders had crossed the border and done work on their territory.

“Boss, some of them invaders crossed over.” said one of his cohorts. Yunho spun around and returned a worried look.

“What did you say?”

“The people from that wimpy- Butterfly Empire. They were here. Last night.” Yunho pushed this man aside and thought things over at a gambling table. He placed both hands on the edge of the table and looked down. Invaders spelled more orders and more driving away for him and his men. Yunho detatched his hands from the table and covered his face with his hands. The other mafia members looked at him as he pounded the wall angrily.

“What did they do this time?” Yunho asked with a stressed voice. The news that he was about to receive was sure to give him even more stress.

“They killed the Emperor. Silently killed him.” Yunho’s face fell to the floor. It took the life out of him and made his men stare. Yunho was really stressed out from the beginning just carrying this mission out and to have something aggravate it was surely going to be strenneous for them, him namely being the leader.

“What? Who did this?”

“We have no idea. But who in his right mind would murder the Emperor? Everyone here in this land fears him!” Yunho screamed. The mafia men were shaking in their shoes.

“M-Maybe someone from the neighboring kingdom?”

“I’m afraid you’re right.” Just then, one of Yunho’s men came to him with orders from the Raven Prince. He came dashing to his boss with an intimidated look on his face.

“Sir…” Yunho whipped around and looked at his fellow mobster, holding a piece of paper in his hand, what appeared to be a telegram from the Raven Prince. They still used telegrams after all, in spite of all the techonological advances.

“What is this? This must be the orders of the Prince.” he said. He took the piece ofneatly folded paper in his hand and unfolded it. The telegram wasn’t long but its message was vicious. Yunho went over it and even checked the back fro additional reminders. The plan was as vile and as dark as the heart of the one who wrote it. Yunho crumpled the telegram and threw it in his fellow mobster’s face. He walked up front and called their attention.

“ATTENTION EVERYONE, ATTENTION!” Yunho announced. The other mobsters who were under his leadership turned and looked at him with fearful eyes. When Yunho was like this, they knew something was going to happen.

“I have just received a telegram from the Raven Prince himself. He wants us to accomplish a revenge mission as part of our step in conquering the Nabi Empire and having their riches all to ourselves. This plan may sound evil but if I know you men better than I knowmyself, I’d say it would definitely suit your tastes.”

“What? What is it boss?!” asked Yoseob eagerly.

“You know about how the Emperor was poisoned by the neighboring spies, isn’t it? Well we’re going to do the exact same thing.”

“But boss…” Doojoon spoke up. “Empress Sandara is with us already and I think the Raven Prince knows that. Why would he send us a telegram ordering us to kill her when he knows that we can do-”

“Shut your mouth, you imbecile!” bellowed Yunho. “Don’t you ing interrupt me when I’m talking! You don’t know better than the boss!” Doojoon curled back into his seat and paid attention. Yunho focused on the crowd once more.

“Now, as I was saying before I was rudely interrupted by Doojoon; the Raven Prince has ordered us to plan another attack towards the Nabi Empire. We are going to bomb the armies. Kill the soldiers. And this time, we won’t do it with petty stinkbombs and cheap gas like what the Nabi spies did. We are going to drop atomic bombs set to explode and annihilate the army. If anyone survives this, I’d be ed.” Yunho explained. The other mobsters were delighted and couldn’t help but snicker at how diabolical the plan was.

Empress Sandara, who was locked up in the basement, overheard their conversation and gasped in terror. The Butterfly Empire was protected by the Nabi Army, a combination of modern soldiers and traditional warriors. That army was made up of the most skilled of the skilled men who were experts in fighting and strategizing in battle. They had, for so long, kept the Empire safe and peaceful with their fighting abilities that helped ward off evil conquerors. There was also another branch of superforces, that being the Nabi Empire Secret Force which was made up of spies. Their work was to spy on evil leaders and organizations that planned on destructing their beautiful city. The Nabi Army was the main target of the mafia and with the Empress in their hands, Sandara felt the most hopeless. If only she could send a telegram or a message to Hero Jaejoong saying that their empire’s army was under attack, she could spare their nation. But it was too late.

“We execute this mission…tonight!” Yunho declared. The Crow Mafia was an ally of the deceased Raven Emperor and they were good at making bombs, constructing weapons, and warfare as well. They were also closely related to the Dark Powers or the official army of the Raven Empire. Their violent and barbaric ways of battle made them one of the most feared battalions in their history. And now, their young leader Jung Yunho was tasked to create bombs to drop in the Nabi Army base. With this mission on theirm inds, they proceeded to work on the deadly atomic bombs, a craft that they were just so excellent in.

[THE SAME NIGHT, AT THE ARMY BASE]

The soldiers had just retired from their battle training and had gone to their separate tents. Their commander, G.C. Choi Jun Hyuk had a separate headquarters, a better one being the highest official. They had a hectic day and were going to have another one ahead of them. The Empress’ noble army had just wrapped up their weapons training and physical exercises as well as their forest hunting tests. All the other soldiers were sleeping, eating, playing cards, thinking about their families at home, and talking amongst themselves. The General Commander, however, was alone in his headquarters thinking about his family back at home. G.C. Choi always had a photo of his children with him. Minho and Soo Young meant the world to him and he used them as his inspiration. The highest official in the army spent his evening talking to the picture as if he was really talking to his children.

“How are you two doing? I hope you two are doing okay because it here. I’m feeling homesick. I love and miss you so much. I miss your mother, too. God, it hurts to be away from the ones you love.” the usually stern general was getting too emotional and teary eyed now but he tried to hold the tears back. “I wish we could just all live in peace, you know. We’re of the same race with the same ancestors. We don’t have to fight. We can just…coexist in harmony. But I think with greedy people like them that’s just not possible. We really have to fight back if we want to save our country and maintain our freedom. I’m fighting this war for us. For you two. So you can enjoy the freedom we never had under them…” General Choi wiped the tear from his eyes but could hold the emotions in no longer. He broke down and clutched the picture of his kids, which was from 3 years back.

A few hours later, shut down time began. Everyone went to bed and was peacefully resting when a couple of Yunho’s henchmen snuck into their barracks. Doojoon and Yoseob were tasked to bomb the Nabi Army. The two henchmen carefully made their way inside the headquarters and tried to figure out where to place the bomb.

“Where should this thing go?” asked Yoseob who was quite dumb at times.

“I don’t know.” answered the equally stupid Doojoon.

“I think if we put it in the headquarters, like the center of the army, it would create an epic blast.” Yoseob said, wildly imagining an explosion scene in his mind. Doojoon didn’t know any better so he just followed what his partner had said and agreed to put the bomb in the headquarters-The General’s Headquarters. The two guys walked carefully, trying hard not to make a noise that would cause the entire army to rise and shoot them. After some hard- sneaking in, they were finally able to reach the headquarters where G.Choi stayed.

“No commander, no army. They’re dead. We’d win the war!” Doojoon snickered under his breath.

“You figured this out just now?” Yoseob complained.

“Yeah.” Doojoon grinned. Yoseob looked at him with a stupefied face.

“You are so dumb. You are really so dumb.” Doojoon shrugged and helped him set the bomb on the floor. Sure enough, the commander was there sleeping, totally unaware that a bomb had just been placed beside him, ready to blow up in his face and kill him. With a few wiring and adjusting, the bomb was now set at 60 seconds. Doojoon and Yoseob stood up straight, mocking the general and saluted him before making their way out hastily. Once outside, they snickered and gave each other high fives.

“We are badass motherers!” Yoseob placed his arm around Doojoon and gave him the noogie.

All this time, the army was unware…

[AT THE CHOI RESIDENCE]

CL and Soo Young were getting ready for bed. CL decided to spend the night in Soo Young’s place in order to console her after the painful experience that she had earlier in school.

“I don’t get Donghae’s group. What is with their nonesense. Why do they have to be so mean to us.” Soo Young said. The two girls were lying down but their eyes were wide open. Soo Young kept her friend up with her endless ranting about how mean the bullies were.

“Some people are that weak.” CL replied. “When they see that someone is better than them they pick on that person to make themselves feel better. Seeing someone suffer makes them strong.”

“Me? Better? In what sense?” Soo Young’s self-esteem was starting to decline.

“In the sense that your father is in the army and is the general commander, that’s one. That you’re far prettier than pig-face UEE, Chucky-face Nana, and horse face Gahee. That you’re smarter than Donghae, Siwon, and Jang Geun seuk combined.”

“I’m not prettier than them. If I was then boys should be all over me by now.” Soo Young complained.

“There’s a distinction between beautiful and flirt. You’re beautiful. They’re flirts. Guys like beautiful girls but love flirts. I mean, sure guys may notice you but their flirtiness gets in the way and boom! There goes your attention!” CL explained.

“Guys notice me? I didn’t know.”

“Oh sure…” CL tried to sound optimistic for her friend but thought about it again. “Wait, I’m not sure.”

“Guys don’t notice me. They don’t even take a second to look at me. I’m just simply…invisible.”

“School shouldn’t be about looks or what. School should be about learning and achieving. You’re not bad in that department.”CL gave her friend some encouragement but it wasn’t enough.

“I’m not as smart as the nerds. And I never wished I was because then I’d get bullied even more.”

“But at least they’re somebody. That’s what you have to be. A somebody.”

“Forget it, CL. We’re only a few short months away from leaving high school and entering college. It’s useless trying to build a reputation when you’re bound to leave.” Soo Young stated. She sighed deeply and let the thoughts run through her mind freely. “I miss my dad.” she blurted. CL looked at her and spoke up.

“How’s your dad anyways?”

“I think they’re preparing for war now.” Soo Young said. “I mean, the Raven Empire’s been making their moves. I’m really scared. I don’t want to lose my dad in battle.”

“Was your dad ever nice to you?” asked CL with a deep sigh.

“Yeah. He was my world. Still is though. I miss him terribly. Each time I feel down I just think of my dad. He gives me strength.”

“Ever wanted to become a soldier like your dad.”

“It was Minho’s dream when we were kids. Now that we’re older, he has superficial dreams of becoming rich. I don’t think it’s bad though. It’s shallow but definitely not impossible.”

“ ‘Bout you?”

“Me? Well I guess Minho and I switched places. When I was a kid I wanted to become rich. I told my mom often that I wanted to be a princess. That was definitely impossible.”

“Not if the Prince marries you.” CL blushed.

“Prince? From where? The neighboring empire? No way. I’m patriotic, yo! Anyways, I wanted to become a princess when I was 3. When I was 7, I wanted to become an actress. When I got older and when I realized that there were far more beautiful people on Earth and there were far more confident people, I decided to not become an actress…”

“So what exactly do you want to be now?”

“I have no idea. But to answer your question, I once wanted to become a soldier. I want to, actually. Still do. I never told anyone about this dream because they might laugh at me or tell me that I’m too weak, I’m too skinny, and that I’m a girl and I can’t fight like a guy. I want to prove them wrong, but I don’t know if I can.” Soo Young said.

“Who says you can’t!” CL said.

“CL, this isn’t a fairy tale where you can just do whatever you want. This is real life and being in the army isn’t that easy. Hell, enlisting in the army is terrible, hard- if you ask me.”

“Really? How do they enlist there?”

“I’m not sure but it’s pretty complicated, I think. Judging by the way they select their men. It’s like working as a chef in a fine dining restaurant. You don’t just pick meat from the market. You pick the finest meats. That’s what the army wants. The best, bravest. people.” CL was moved by her explanation and though she didn’t want to hurt her friend’s feelings, she knew Soo Young was right when she said she wasn’t made to be in the army.
“I mean,” Soo Young continued. “I’m none of those. I’m not a strong person. I’m definitely not brave. I can’t even face a group of bullies who are of the same age as us and don’t use deadly weapons, what more a battalion of vicious men who are dangerously armed?!”

“I think you’re right, you know. I don’t mean to offend you but I think you’re right. You aren’t army material.”

“You don’t have to apologize for offending me. I know it and I’m used to being offended, thank you very much. What just hurts me is that I’m not qualified for my dream. I’m not good enough to be a soldier. And that’s what I want to be. A soldier.”

“You can always aspire for something else.”

“I don’t know what I’m good at.” CL sat up and said,

“You’re good at sketching! You have tons of sketchpads and your drawings are phenomenal.”

“I don’t think I’d sell, though. I mean, would people even want to look at emotionally-driven sketches by a young, prideless girl?”

“You’re too negative. Don’t be that way.”

“I don’t know how to be positive when everything about you, everything people see in you is negative.” Soo Young replied.

“Look, this talk is getting dramatic. Let’s just watch TV, okay?”

“We have school tomorrow.”

“Who cares!?” CL grabbed the remote control and turned the TV on. It was automatically on the news channel and the news the reporter was talking about didn’t sound good.

“Woah. War going on? Seriously?” CL asked. Soo Young’s felt a strange leap in her heart and sat up, snatched the remote control from CL and increased the volume.

“What’s going on?” asked her best friend.

“Shhh. Wait I’m trying to listen.” Soo Young paid very close attention to the news report.


“The Nabi Army Base headquarters was bombed by unidentified men just tonight, killing 10 soldiers including General Commander Choi Jun Hyuk…” Soo Young dropped the remote control and covered in shock. Tears formed in her eyes and flowed down her cheeks without her noticing. CL held her friend and tried to stop her from crying but it was useless at this point.

“No…” she whispered. “No, not my daddy. No…” Soo Young continuously cried with tears streaming down her eyes freely.

“Soo Young, it’s gonna be okay…”

“NO! NO!!!” Soo Young broke down and screamed. The death of her father was too early and it came to her as a shock. “I HAVE TO TELL MOM!!! I HAVE TO TELL MOM!!” Soo Young pushed CL away and ran out of her room. She dashed into her mother’s room, aggresively opening the door, waking her mother up.

“Soo Young what is this about?” Soo Young ran to her mother’s side and knelt before her.

“DAD IS DEAD! HE’S DEAD! THE RAVEN EMPIRE BLEW THEIR ARMY BASE!!! DAD DIED IN THE EXPLOSION! DAD IS DEAD!!!” Soo Young sobbed. So Hyung sat up and though she was groggy and sleepy, she was able to pick up what her daughter said. Soo Young was kneeling before her mother, crying with her shoulders moving up and down. So Hyung turned the lights on and stepped out of bed to comfort her crying daughter. Even she wanted to cry but she believed she had to stay strong for Soo Young. CL entered Mrs. Choi’s room carefully and saw mother and daughter on the floor crying so she decided to leave them alone for a while and give them some privacy.

“What is going on here?” Minho awoke from his sleep because of the wails and weeps. So Hyung stood up and walked to her son who was feeling confused and awkward right now. She touched his brown hair and stared into his brown eyes which reminded her of her husband.

“Your father died in the explosion.” Minho’s eyes widened with shock.

“Are you effing serious?” Soo Young stood up and grabbed her younger brother, who was taller than her, and led him to her room. So Hyung and CL followed them. Her TV set was still on the news and the report was still on the bombing. Minho and So Hyung watched in horror as the newscasters revealed the truth about the bombing. Minho could crumble down to the ground.

“This…this is .” he tried to control his emotions. “This can’t be happening.”


“Sadly it is.” Soo Young was still crying, unable to get a grip. CL held her friend tightly and sobbed with her. Soo Young just found it so hard to accept that her father, perhaps the only friend in the world that she had, was now gone and died a heinous, hateful death in the hands of the enemies.

Empress Sandara learned about the bombings and was furious as well as saddened. So much were her emotions that she leapt out of the basement and pounded on Yunho.

“HOW DARE YOU BOMB THE ARMY?!?! YOU BASTARD!” Sandara lunged forward at Yunho and beat him up with her tiny fists. Yunho grabbed her tiny wrists and pushed her backwards. Sandara fell to the floor and aggresively stared the Mob Boss in the eyes.

“Had your forces not poisoned the Emperor, none of this would’ve happened.”

“Maybe you shouldn’t have bombed and totally destroyed the Temple.” Yunho took his cigarette and burnt Sandara’s skin with the again, making her feel painful and weak on the floor. Yunho and the rest of the boys exited the building, locking the door and venturing with his entourage to the Raven Prince’s temple.