Invasion

The Bully

It was early in the morning, not even around 4 am. Everyone in the Nabi Empire was enjoying the last few hours of sleep before getting up to do their work for the rest of the day again. But little did they know that enjoying their last few hours of sleep would also mean enjoying their last few days of living.

In the Raven Empire, the Pearl was with the Raven Prince. He often held it in his hand and smothered it. Its smooth texture felt so good on the skin that he even wanted to kiss it! Everyday he worshipped it along with his gods and asked them for abundance and prosperity for their nation. Eventually, those blessings came. Their land prospered and they were now richer than the neighboring empire which was the Nabi Empire. That very morning, the Raven Prince was up and roaming around the altar with the Pearl of the Gods in his hand.

Now the power of the Pearl depended upon whose hand it was in and who god or gods they prayed to. Being an evil, heartless leader, the Raven Prince knelt before the statues and images of the lesser gods which were dragon like and snake like creatures with arms and legs. Their terrifying faces were enough to scare you out of your wits. The Raven Prince lit up the incense sticks and when the place was filled with smoke, he closed his eyes and lifted his hands up to pray. The scent of incense was all over the room and his concentration brought evil energy. A chant to the demon gods to put a curse on the Nabi Empire was what he uttered next.

“Disease. Famine. Destruction. Catastrophe.” he said. The room began to shake and the Pearl that was sitting beside the Raven Prince on a throw pillow began to darken. Its beautiful white coating slowly started to turn into black, a sign that the evil gods were doing their work. The darkening of the Pearl symbolized evil supremacy in the holder’s nation, therefore giving him the right to curse any nation his pleased. When the Raven Prince opened his eyes, he turned to the Pearl and saw the significant change in its appearance.

“It’s beautiful!” he tried to touch it but it burnt his finger. The Pearl was as hot as the pits of hell! The Raven Prince, or the Raven Emperor as he would like to address himself now, held the hot, black Pearl of the Gods in his hands and uttered a prayer. Black smoke soon started to envelope the room as the Raven Emperor inhaled the foul smoke with a sinister laugh.

“I demand to be released. Even just for today. I need to return to my kingdom.” Empress Sandara plead with Yunho. Yunho looked at Sandara and puffed smoke from his mouth. The Empress humbled herself before a man whom she was supposed to have more power over. Yunho put the cigar in his mouth and smirked at Sandara who knelt before him.

“I have done everything you have told me to do. I believe that I have done them according to your orders. Please. Have mercy.” Yunho did feel a slight pinch of pity for the poor Empress who only wanted to see how her land was doing. He tilted his head and nodded slowly.

“I will allow you to be free. But just for today.” Empress Sandara breathed a sigh of relief. Yunho really felt guilty for following the Emperor’s orders on capturing Sandara and before the Empress could leave, Yunho ran after her and told her,

“You are free. I no longer wish to torture you. Go and rule your land once more. Bad things are about to happen so dear Empress, please be careful. I shall drive you to your homeland.” Empress Sandara bowed before Yunho and forgave him for all the wrong things he had done towards her. He begged for her forgivness which she stopped.

“Do not apologize. You are a noble person.” she smiled at Yunho. The formerly evil mob boss drove her to the Nabi Empire where upon seeing the situation of her land, gave her shock.

“Thank you.” she kissed Yunho on the cheek and exited her car. She slowly made her first few steps on the land that she ruled after months of being held captive by the Korean Mafia. Empress Sandara couldn’t believe the ruin and the destitution that was present in her land. The once beautiful and blossoming trees were slowly starting to wilt and dry up. The land was dry, evidence of drought. The wind was cold and foggy, nothing like she had ever seen in her country. Instead of doves, crows and ravens were the birds that flew around her. In fear, Empress Sandara ran to the Temple of the Gods which was near the place where her Palace once stood.

The fog prevented Empress Sandara from seeing things properly but once she got a proper look, she was sure that she was standing right outside the Temple of the Gods. Empress Sandara ran inside and saw her messenger Hero Jaejoong praying to the gods in this time of turbulence.

“Hero. I have arrived.” Hero Jaejoong stood up and spun around, recognizing the voice instantly. It was Empress Sandara standing right in front of him! She ran t him and embraced him but Hero had no time to celebrate.

“Your Highness, chaos is happening in our land. The Raven Empire is slowly starting to attack our land! The dry groudns, the foul stench in the air, the drying up of the trees! It’s because of them! The Pearl has now turned black and is possessed by the evil gods. Pretty soon, the Raven Army will come into our empire and annihilate us.”


“Have you already a plan?” asked the Empress. Hero nodded and said.

“I prayed to the gods.”

“I prayed as well when I was in captivity.” Empress Sandara was freezing because of the cool winds and foggy atmosphere. She rubbed her hands together to give herself some warmth. “They told me that they had chosen someone.”

“Yes.” Hero admitted. “They have chosen someone already.”

“Who?” Sandara asked with curiousity.

“You shall find out. This person will lead the Nabi Army to victory and once and for all annihilate the evil that is the Raven Empire, unifying the two lands, making us one.” Hero said poetically. Tired and sleepy, Empress Sandara nodded and sat in the chair next to the statues.

Soo Young woke up at around 5:30 in the morning to the sound of thunder. Thunder was something she could never stand. Soo Young stood up and peered outisde her window. She was surprised greatly when she saw the current state of the Nabi Land. The ground was dry and cracking; the trees that swayed with the breeze were bald and dried leaves were on the ground, being swept by the winds. The short-haired warrior to be feared this day would come.

Don’t tell me today is the day that they attack. Don’t tell me that today is the day that I fight. Don’t tell me that today is the day I die. Soo Young was practically crying when she heard a voice inside of her heart. Yes, her heart. There was someone calling for her and she knew that it wasn’t just her imagination.

My child, come to the Temple. If you are afraid, seek refuge. said the voice. Soo Young knew immediately that it was the gods talking to her through her heart. True to ‘following your heart’, Soo Young leapt out of bed and put on a tee, jeans, and an oversized jacket, completing her average teen look. Soo Young ran a hand through her hair and out the door she went. Her bicycle was still parked outside of their house. Getting on her bike, she raced down the dry road to the Temple of the Gods where she trained with Max. After a 10 minute bike, she reached the Temple and threw her bike down on the ground. The Eternity Steps which she climbed were there and this was what she took. Without even having to open the door, they swung open to let her in. There she saw Hero and Empress Sandara conversing.

“Who is this young lady?” asked the Empress. Hero ran to Soo Young’s side and walked her to the Empress. Soo Young bowed down before the Empress, really really down. Empress Sandara pat her back and smiled.

“So you are the Chosen One. The one the gods have told me about.” Soo Young’s eyes widened as she slowly nodded.

“Yes. I am.” she agreed. “I don’t know how or why-” Empress Sandara showed her palm, a gesture for her to stop.

“I do not care how the gods or why the gods chose you. What is important is you are here. Consider this an honor. The gods have acknowledged your presence.” Soo Young shook her head and smiled at Empress Sandara. “By the way, I do not know your name yet.”

“Choi Soo Young.” she said humbly.

“The Chosen One Choi Soo Young.” Empress Sandara mustered. “What a coincidence! The late army commander was also a Choi.” Soo Young didn’t want to brag but when it came to her father, she just couldn’t help but feel proud. He was the Empire’s Defender. Soo Young reached for her father’s picture in her pocket and held it in her hands. Empress Sandara and Hero Jaejoong looked at each other, wondering what Soo Young was doing. The humble schoolgirl stepped forward and showed Empress Sandara and Hero Jaejoong the picture of the late Commander Choi Jin Hyuk.

“My father was the Commander of the Army.” Soo Young presented the picture. Empress Sandara took it in her hand and looked at the similarities. Sure enough there were resemblances. “I am his daughter.”

“No wonder the gods chose you.” Sandara said out loud. “You have the blood of a warrior.”

“But why me?” Soo Young asked teary eyed. “Why me? I have a brother who is tougher, taller, and braver but why me?”

“Because the gods pick the pure hearted, headstrong one.” Hero Jaejoong explained to her.

“I am none of those.” Soo Young belittled herself once more. She may have gained physical strength but there wasn’t a doubt that her self-esteem remained the same. Empress Sandara lifted her chin and smiled at her.

“Honey, the gods didn’t pick you for nothing. We all have our weaknesses. Things may break us and shake us but how resilient we are is what makes us. The fact that you have come this far in your training and the fact that you have accepted your fate in battle is a sign that you are brave. Do not give up.” Sandara smiled. Soo Young nodded.

“I will fight. For my country. For the gods. For my father.”

“I recommend you stay here for the meantime.” Hero said. Soo Young was too dumbstruck to be in the same place as the Empress.

“Thank you.” she said. Empress Sandara peered outside of the Temple’s Windows. Yes, her country was slowly deteriorating and she knew it was because of a curse.

Bless our land.

[IN THE RAVEN EMPIRE]


“Yes! Yes! The plan is working!” the Raven Emperor saw everything happening from the Pearl. He knew that the Nabi Empire was slowly crumbling, slowly deteriorating the way their land deteriorated when they were punished by the greater gods. The Raven Emperor cackled at this sight.

“Revenge is sweet. But wipeouts are sweeter!” he said slyly. “Commander!” he called the commander of the Raven Army.

“Yes, your highness.”

“We are to take matters to our own hands. Tomorrow, we wage war. You and the army prepare now. Let this message be known throughout our kingdom.” the Raven Emperor ordered. The Commander followed his orders and spread the word. The young prince watched as his plan lined up accordingly.

The Army began to train. They fought with not only swords but guns, tanks, machines. They combined modern warfare and traditional Korean battle. Even the Raven Emperor took part in the training and commanding, exercising his military genius.

[A LITTLE WHILE LATER IN THE TEMPLE OF THE GODS]

“I have spoken to the greater gods.” Empress Sandara said. “They said that the Raven Empire will attack tomorrow. They plan to keep it secret from us but they do not know who we pray to.” Soo Young’s heart jumped up when she heard this. Tomorrow? War? No freaking way!

“You can’t be serious!” Soo Young protested. “War tomorrow? This is impossible! I can’t die tomorrow.”

“You aren’t going to die.” Hero assured her.
“But it’s battle time. I don’t know how to fight.”

“Max told me that you have done amazing in your training. You could handle hand-to-hand combat and weaponry. “ Hero said.

“I cannot command an army.”

“Your father did it, so can you. The gods chose you because you are a relative of the great Commander Choi.”

“But you don’t understand. I get bullied a lot in school. People there kick me around like dirt.”

“What they do to you doesn’t define who you are.” Empress Sandara said. “And I think you are a brave and capable young lady. That’s coming from the Empress right there.” Soo Young felt encouraged to go to war.

“Yes. I will do it. For my country. For my father. I will not put what Max put me through to waste. I will fight. I can fight.” Empress Sandara and Hero Jaejoong smiled at her.

“Since the attack will be tomorrow, I suggest we look for Max so we can train you.” Hero and Soo Young headed to the Battlegrounds where Max and the other armymen trained. Max and the other soldiers were practicing their firing and fighting when Hero interrupted them.

“I have an important announcement.” Hero said. Soo Young stopped him and wanting to practice her commanding skills, stepped forward and continued Hero’s announcement.

“The Raven Empire has released a series of attacks and now a curse. As you know the Pearl was stolen, our Empress was once kidnapped and this resulted in the destruction of the Temple of the Empress and the bombing of the Army Base. However, we are not going to stay on the ground. We are going to fight. Since I was informed that the attack will happen tomorrow, we are to prepare. As your commander, we shall train with the best and be the best. We’ve nothing to lose. Our country is worth losing our lives for. “ Soo Young spoke like a true leader. The men were amazed at her ability to speak with clarity and carry herself with dignity.

“Furthermore, we shall train hard from dawn to dusk. You all are experienced men who train everyday but it’ll be your first time training with me so please, bear with my mediocrity.” she apologized in advance.


“You are in no way mediocre, Commander.” said one soldier. “We understand your command and as our leader, we are going to follow your orders.” Soo Young nodded and led them to the training grounds. Though damaged because of the bombing, the troops and Soo Young still headed to the field and practiced shooting their guns and drawing their swords, a deadly combination of modern and traditional fighting techniques. From morning til night, they trained and worked hard like the neighboring empire.

While training his men and himself, the Raven Emperor was interrogating Yunho about the wherabouts of Empress Sandara.

“Where is Sandara Park?” asked the Raven Emperor. Yunho couldn’t open his mouth for fear that the Raven Emperor might hurt him.

“Maybe she escaped, your highness.” he stammered. The Raven Emperor pranced in front of him and grabbed his collar. Yunho gulped at the strength of the Raven Emperor.

“You moron! You let her escape?!?!”

“But your highness-” Then it dawned on the Raven Emperor. Maybe Yunho did let her go. On purpose. This thought angered him even more and made him push the mob boss to the ground. In his presence, they were powerless and weak.

“We were supposed to execute her infront of her people when we defeat them! And now you tell me that she’s gone! You set her free didn’t you?!” Yunho felt even more nervous when the truth was revealed. Yunho shook in his clothes when the Raven Emperor pulled out a pistol from his pocket.

“Your highness! Have mercy on her!”

“The Enemy knows no mercy. She has shown no compassion. Neither shall I.” he pulled the trigger and killed Yunho on the spot. The busy soldiers stopped in their tracks to look and gather around the spot where the Raven Emperor killed the leader of the group that had ties with them. The Mafia. Yunho’s bloody body lay dead on the ground with his eyes open and his mouth agape in fear. The soldiers shook in their boots and when the 17 year old Emperor looked up with a pistol in his hand, eyeing all the troops, they all trembled in fear.

“Did I tell you guys to stop working? Go back to work! We have a battle to win tomorrow!” The troops all ran back to the headquarters as the Raven Prince eyed on them. He walked over to them, stepping on Yunho’s dead body in the process.


Training ended at 7:00 pm for the Nabi Army. Everyone was just so tired and hungry and aching to go home to their families. Even Soo Young was worried about her mother and her brother who had no idea about this.

“Everyone get a good night sleep and always stay alert. Never let your weapons leave your side! Be brave. Your courage is your greatest and only weapon.” the young lady advised them. They all saluted her as she dismissed them. Soo Young rubbed her head as she walked away from the troops. Max saw her and ran after her.

“Soo Young!” Soo Young spun around and saw Max running towards her.

“Max. What’s the matter?”

“Do not go home yet. I want to show you something. We want to show you something.” Max led Soo Young to the Temple of the Gods where Sandara and Hero resided for the day. He opened the grand doors and the sight of the young warrior excited the Empress and her Messenger.

“My child, come in.” Sandara invited her. Soo Young shook her head and waved her hand, declining the Empress’ services.

“I have to go home now. My mom’s probably worried. You see, she doesn’t know any of this yet.” Soo Young said.

“I have to show you something. It’s for battle.” Soo Young followed Empress Sandara into the Temple as she led her to one of the most sacred place, the place of the warriors.

“What is this?” she looked at all the battle costumes, insignia, and weapons of the ancient warriors to the present warriors all in glass cases. Sandara took her hand and together they stood before a glass case that contained a sharp sword. The sword’s handle was intricately decorated with jade and diamonds. The steel blade was stainless.

“It’s beautiful, isn’t it?” asked Sandara. Soo Young nodded.

“Not many warriors get to handle this. Only very few have laid their hands on the Sword of the Holy.” Empress Sandara explained.

“Who are the few?”

“Men I do not know. Maybe years ago. But only very few can hold this sword.”

“How will you know if a person can hold that sword?” Soo Young noticed that Sandara was opening the glass case, as if about to hand the sword to her. Soo Young shook her head and slowly backed up.


“Only if you were chosen by the gods.” Empress Sandara said as she took the sword out of the glass case and held it with both hands. Soo Young looked at her confused.

“You mean?” Empress Sandara nodded her head.

“Yes. You were chosen by the gods. This sword is for you. Use it to your advantage.”

“What does this have that other swords don’t?” asked Soo Young.

“This sword has the power of the gods. It will guide you, show you the ways of a noble warrior. The gods will fight by your side. They will ensure your victory. You are a blessed child. The first holy warrior the country has had in years.” Soo Young’s eyes widened. She was the first holy warrior in years?

“This battle you are about to fight is an epic one. It’s a matter of life and death for our land.” Empress Sandara said. “So do your best tomorrow. The sword is yours.” Soo Young knelt down before the Empress and bowed her head. Empress Sandara touched her shoulder, telling her to get up.

“I will. We will win. For our Empire.” she bowed down once more and made her way out with the sword of the gods in her hands.

Soo Young arrived home at around 8 pm. Her mother was downstairs watching TV. When So Hyung saw her daughter, she leapt out of the couch and embraced her, making Soo Young drop the sword. Her mother didn’t notice it anyways, despite of its size.

“Where have you been? Oh I was so worried about you! You left so early and you’re back so late! Oh my-” she checked on her daughter but Soo Young grabbed her wrists and pulled away.

“Mom. I’m fine. There’s something I have to tell you. Can you please turn the TV off.” So Hyung felt nervous and turned the TV off.

“What is it.”

“I know this sounds crazy and all but…” Soo Young took a deep breath before saying it.

“What?” her mother held her shoulders and shook her.

“I’m going to war tomorrow. I was selected by the Empress’ Messenger to fight for our territory.” So Hyung’s heart broke at this news. In a flash she was hysterical.

“No. No. No. No.!” she sobbed. “My baby is not going to war! You are not fighting, you understand me! I can’t lose another loved one! I’ve already lost your father due to the same circumstance.”

“Mom.” Soo Young held her mother’s face. “Calm down. I’m gonna be okay.”

“How can I calm down when you just told me that you’re going to war tomorrow?! How could you?!”

“Mom I know it’s hard for you but it’s even harder for me. Do you know how I felt when they called me months ago to fight? I was so scared. Terrified out of my wits! I couldn’t bring myself to tell you that I wanted to fight for our nation because I knew you would pull me out but I don’t want to pull out mom. I never thought of giving up even once. During the entire duration of my preparation, I never for once thought of quitting. I want to fight, mom. I want to defend our nation. I want to serve our country.” Soo Young explained.

“But I’m afraid. I’m just afraid. I don’t want to lose you.” So Hyung cried. Soo Young held her mother’s hands.


“I’m not going to.” Soo Young assured her mom, confident that she was going to win. “You don’t have to worry about losing a loved one because you are not going to. Not this time.”

“Soo Young, you’re a woman.”

“I know. And I can fight.” she said. So Hyung cried once more but understood her daughter’s desire to defend the nation and finally gave in.

“Alright. But just don’t promise me anything. I don’t want to get hurt.” Soo Young nodded and embraced her mother.

“I will win. I will. Even if you tell me not to promise anything, I will win. I know it.” she said. Soo Young kissed her mom and made her way to her room.

Soo Young entered her room and caught her phone ringing. CL was calling her. She picked it up and answered it.

“CL?”

“Where the were you? You didn’t come to school! Neither did Donghae!”

“Really? Oh. What a coincidence. CL, listen, is going to happen tomorrow. War is going to break out.”

“Motherer! You’re not serious?!”

“I wish I wasn’t. But it’s true. And the hardest part of it is, I’m going to war.” CL nearly dropped the phone.

“Oh . You’re gonna die out there, Choi!!!”

“I’m not. I swear. I received special training. Remember when I beat the out of Donghae and his friends?! That’s because of the training. Chae, I’m gonna win this. I’m not gonna let an evil power eat our country up. No. It is not possible!”

“But you’re gonna get yourself killed!”

“Do you have faith in me? “ Soo Young asked.

“Y-yeah. I guess.”

“Then we won’t lose. Just promise me that you’ll stay safe while the war goes on. Okay?”

“Okay.”

“I just got home from military training. Need to get up early tomorrow. I’ll see you when I see you.” Soo Young hung up. CL cried for it could be the last time she talked to her friend.

Soo Young spent the rest of the night in bed thinking of strategies and attack plans. The war was about to happen.

The Raven Emperor on the other hand, prayed to the Dark Gods that chaos would break out in the Nabi empire tomorrow morning to ensure the easy defeat of Empress Sandara’s men.