019. campus couple ; myungsoo/sungyeol

Infinite: A 100 fics

Heavy breathing, he perspired, panting, as he threw himself on his chair, bag tumbling off his shoulders and crashing onto the floor.

                “Wha-w-what did I mi-miss?” Myungsoo panted, grabbing the edge of his table for dear life. Sungyeol smiled, happy to see his Myungsoo. Yeah. His Myungsoo. They’re together. And they’re also sitting together at the back of their club room, desks abnormally close.

                “Not much. New teacher,” Sungyeol shrugs. Myungsoo sighs.

                “Again?” he complained. At this point, he was convinced that the teachers chosen to be in charge of Photography Club were cursed, or something. Maybe even abducted by secret art mafia people everytime they say  “assignment”.

                “Yeah. And you’re late. Again,” Sungyeol said. And there was this mischievous look on his face when he said, “I heard the last one got sacked after ing in the dark room with that new guy, Daeryong, or was it Soryong? I can’t tell with twins. They look the same- Oh my god, it could have been both!”

Sungyeol’s mouth formed a surprised ‘O’, and Myungsoo laughed, dimples showing.

                “Lee Sungyeol, listen up please. And you, please don’t be late next time, or something unfortunate might happen to your camera, hm?” the very new, and very pretty, teacher said, stiff smile hiding murderous intent. Crap, Myungsoo thought. She’s the type to smile while she murders you with scissors and poisonous perfume. Scissor-murderer…

                “Ok class, for this break’s assignment, to get to know you all a bit better, I want you to create a photo montage of what makes you happy, complete with a detailed presentation on why it makes you happy. Understand? Ok, dismissed. Have a lovely break,” she chirps, clapping her hands every so often, and it was weird. Because they weren’t even a class. They’re just a Photography Club in the middle of campus.

-

Sungyeol was tugging on his bicycle, raising it by its handle to free it from the bicycle racks. Myungsoo stood beside him, zoning out, probably in his own world. You know he was when he stares at inanimate objects intensely for no reason. And the current unlucky object of his laser eyes was a tall lamppost with peeling advertisements. He didn’t realise the numbers scrawled in red paint was a hooker’s phone number. He thought it was pizza delivery or something.

                “Hey, Myungsoo! You coming or what?” Sungyeol nudged him, swinging his long legs over to the other side of the bicycle frame. Myungsoo blinked once, confused. Twice, registered what Sungyeol said to him, and thrice, finally getting on the backseat of Sungyeol’s blue bike.

On the way to Sungyeol’s house, the tall boy wouldn’t stop chatting animatedly about the family reunion that night and how he was so excited to have Myungsoo sleep over and how he saw two cats mating-Myungsoo didn’t want to know the details actually, even if he did like cats- and how his day went generally.

With the sky a perfect cotton candy pink tinged with undertones of syrup purple and orange and a sprinkle of blue, Myungsoo felt the sunset needed to have its own portrait, because it really looked sweet and all that. Sunsets. Sunsets make me happy, he thought. He fished out his DSLR from its bag, carefully maintaining his balance on the backseat of Sungyeol’s bike, and snapped the photo. Sungyeol, looking back, smiled his gummy smile, as he silently watched Myungsoo having a picture moment.

-

Sungyeol had a beautiful house. The double doors were made of polished wood, with oval, coloured glass windows. Warm light poured from inside the house, and it was welcoming. Welcoming, indeed.

The doors opened to a very ecstatic Nam Woohyun as he clutched a ladle and squealed, “Welcome to our home, I’m Woohyun. Sungyeol told us so much about you.”

Myungsoo shook his hand, noting how motherly he was, with his apron and his blue ladle. And he was just smiling so hard like a woman seeing a shoe on sale for 90% discount plus a free handbag and oh god, his ladle. Myungsoo couldn’t help but smile.

                “Honey, didn’t I tell you those salesmen are lying. You don’t need beauty products. You’re beautiful as you are-” a man with narrow eyes ambled to the front door, hand wrapping protectively around Woohyun’s shoulders. Woohyun gave him a knowing grin. “Oh…”

Sungyeol shook his head, stifling a laugh. Myungsoo felt the sudden need to impress.

                “Good evening, sir, I’m Kim Myungsoo,” Myungsoo offered his hand, which received a firm, slightly painful, shake. He felt the man’s eyes look him up and down before nodding approvingly. He heard him whisper, “Not bad”.

Woohyun clutched Myungsoo’s arm, dragging him inside, “Aish, Lee Sunggyu, are you going to make our guest stand there all day?” He chuckled fondly, “I swear, my husband does that to everybody.”

Oh. Only then did he notice the gold ring around Woohyun’s finger, in the hand clutching the ladle. Oh god, the ladle, he looks so funny swishing it about. Myungsoo let Woohyun ramble on into the kitchen, and slowed down to wait for Sungyeol. Craning his neck a bit, he whispered, “Yeol, are those your…”

Sungyeol listened intently, looking where Myungsoo was looking, which was actually Woohyun with his ladle, singing in the kitchen, harmonising with Sunggyu. What… can he stop with the ladle? He giggled suddenly, “My parents? Oh no! They’re not. Are you kidding? My parents are probably doing the luau in Hawaii. They travel a lot. That over there is Nam Woohyun, Sunggyu’s husband of two years. And that over there is Lee Sunggyu, my brother, so you don’t have to call him sir. I mean, I know he looks like an old grandpa but-”

“LEE SUNGYEOL, I heard that!” Sunggyu yelled from the kitchen. He could hear Woohyun laughing along.

Their voices fit each other’s like a wind chime.

-

Their bags were already forgotten, leaning against each other by the side of Sungyeol’s desk. Myungsoo was flipping through Sungyeol’s book collection-yes, he actually reads-next to the comics section. He was secretly impressed with Sungyeol’s mini-library, making a mental note to borrow a few books from him.

Sungyeol was already half-asleep trying to watch a movie on his bed. Myungsoo, in the end, couldn’t resist and joined him under the covers, nuzzling against his warm chest. His boyfriend hummed sleepily, hand automatically patting Myungsoo’s head.

                “Yeollie…”

                “Hm?” he hummed, fingers treading through Myungsoo’s locks.

                “What makes you happy?” he asked, feeling his cheeks rise and fall with Sungyeol’s chest. He could hear his heartbeat.

                “Hm…” Sungyeol acted like he was deep in thought, tapping his finger against his chin. “I don’t know…food? Hahah.”

Myungsoo laughed, pushing him away, “You value food over me?!”

Sungyeol let Myungsoo squish him to the wall with his feet, before rolling and pulling Myungsoo close, laughter fading in warm breaths.

                “Of course it’s you, idiot . Smile,” Sungyeol said, snapping a photo from his iPhone, which appeared from who-knows-where. Satisfied with their selfie, Sungyeol grinned and threw his phone who-knows-elsewhere, leaning down to press his lips against Myungsoo’s.

                There was that gradual shift of lip-pressing to lip-locking as their tongues swirled around each other, hands roaming beneath soft t-shirts, circling around, and around, and it was dizzying and they couldn’t breathe-

                “LEE SUNGYEOL, you better be doing your homework up there, I’m coming up!” Woohyun’s naggy voice yelled from the bottom of the stairs. Sungyeol swore Sunggyu was beginning to infect him.

Myungsoo pulled away from Sungyeol, rearranging his shirt and hair as he scrambled to Sungyeol’s chair. He grabbed a random textbook pretending to read and Sungyeol reluctantly continued watching the movie, as Woohyun burst open the door, still holding the ladle like a sword.

                “Come on, Lee Sungyeol, your brothers are here! Get off your and come down!” Woohyun scolded in hushed tones, hitting Sungyeol with the ladle. Ew, he uses that to cook?

“Oh, and Myungsoo, dear, your book is upside down.”

-

The sound of familial laughter and music trailed upwards from the hallway, and it only became louder as Myungsoo followed Sungyeol downstairs. It felt like slow-motion, the anticipation building up inside his chest, interlocking and rising and bubbles and, will they like me?, tumbling alongside, what if I mess up?. But Sungyeol had his arm around his waist. And then everything was fine.

The first thing he heard was nothing. There was only silence, as he felt pairs of eyes staring at him, sizing him up. Oh god, they hate me I should leave where’s my bag-

                “YEOLCAT! My bro! My bro to the max! My cute baby bro! Yeah! How are you? I couldn’t recognise your face!” a guy tackled him, crushing him in a bear hug, making Sungyeol stumble even when Sungyeol was so much taller. Sungyeol only laughed, patting his back awkwardly. “Hyung… Hyung! Dongwoo hyung! You can let go now.”

The guy let go of Sungyeol, turning to face Myungsoo, a whirlwind of energy. His sharp features screamed intense, but his gum-showing smile said otherwise. “Hey, it’s the other half of the campus couple! Nice to meet you! I’m Dongwoo!” he laughed gleefully, giving a strong handshake. Gosh what is with this family crushing my hands???

Sungyeol groaned, wincing a little, “Hyung, please don’t embarrass me.”

“I’m Myungsoo,” he managed to say, ignoring the pain in his right hand.

Sunggyu secretly smirked at Myungsoo’s pain, hands in his pockets, “How was your honeymoon?”

It was only then Myungsoo realised the presence of two other people in the living room. One was silent, yet still approachable, and he was just cool in every way, especially with the way his foot was tapping rhythmically against the plush carpet. The other was smiling brightly, wearing a high school uniform, and sitting prim and proper, with his hands folded neatly on his knees. He was so cute, there were almost virtual pink flowers blinking around him. However his eyes, judged him with every fibre of his being, sizing him up. There was a scary aura ebbing off of him. Imagine a rabid fox disguised as a puppy. As dangerous as that. Myungsoo decided not to look at him in the eye too much.

Dongwoo took his place beside Hoya, looking happier than before, if that was possible, and Myungsoo could see him glowing. “It was amazing! Brazil was so full of surprises and the carnival was so fun! Hoya and I danced for ages…”

As Dongwoo went on, Myungsoo just zoned out, observing everyone. He might have missed Sunggyu’s furrowed eyebrows as he listened in concentration, or Woohyun’s fond smile towards the newly-wed couple as he leaned his hips against Sunggyu’s armchair, or even the way Sungjong sighed with longing, but he surely didn’t miss the way Hoya had his arm around Dongwoo’s waist, warm, and loving.

-

Dinner was full of laughter and light chatter and warmth. They were eating on the floor, and there were seafood pancakes, kimchi stew and chicken and Myungsoo was happy. Food. Food makes me happy too. He was beside Sungyeol on the longer end of the table, opposite Dongwoo and Hoya. Woohyun had somehow made a space for himself beside the head of the table, beside Sunggyu, not minding that he only had a corner to himself and Sungjong was alone on the other side, contentedly piling food into his bowl.

                “Here, I’ll get  that for you,” Woohyun took the bowl from Sunggyu’s hands and scooped some stew into it, and for once, he wasn’t holding his blue ladle, just a different one. Thank God he didn’t use that to cook. But he’s still wearing an apron. Sungyeol’s foot was nudging his, and a playful grin showed on his face. Myungsoo playfully nudged him back and got himself some more stew, getting his camera from behind him and snapping a photo of his bowl.

                “Hey Myungsoo. Take a photo of us!” Dongwoo called, pulling Hoya closer. His energy was balanced with Hoya’s calmness, and it was such a nice contrast yet such a nice match, he noticed. They were perfect for each other. Am I perfect for Sungyeol?

Myungsoo snapped out of his thoughts and smiled, saying, “Okay”, before counting. Sungyeol pouted, “What about me?” and he snapped a photo of Sungyeol and his signature ‘owl face’, where he would in his cheeks and look angry, but this time with chopsticks protruding from between his lips. Myungsoo laughed. He turned and noticed Woohyun holding a spoon to Sunggyu’s mouth and feeding him. Myungsoo was surprised that The Tough And Very Manly Sunggyu would succumb to this adorable display of affection. Opposite them Hoya was quietly murmuring into Dongwoo’s ear, rocking their clasped hands back and forth on the table, and Myungsoo could almost see that little bubble surrounding them, enveloping them in their own world. Dongwoo cracked a smile, pecking Hoya on the lips.

                “Myungsoo-hyung, your chopsticks fell,” Sungjong tapped him on the shoulder, offering a clean, new pair of chopsticks. His face was smiling but he was whispering things between clenched teeth. For example, things like “You hurt my brother and I will cut you” and “I will not hesitate to use my murder techniques”. Myungsoo was about to take it out of fear when Sungyeol waved his brother off. “He can use mine. I’ll feed him.”

-

                “Aah, Myung-baby, you ate so much today, my hands are tired,” Sungyeol whined, holding a freshly-showered Myungsoo against his chest, smelling the mint toothpaste on his tongue. Myungsoo poked his side, “Hey, you were the one who wanted to feed me.”

                “You were zoning out today. What else was I supposed to do to get your attention?” Sungyeol pinched Myungsoo’s nose.

                “I  wasn’t. I was just…observing,” he reasoned, staring at rotating kaleidoscopic light on the ceiling, cast by Sungyeol’s nightlight. “For the project.”

                “What project?” Sungyeol rubbed his hands up and down Myungsoo’s shoulder, who looked up and said, “The What Makes Me Happy project, for Photography Club.”

Sungyeol chuckled, “I only joined that club for you. Anyway, what makes you happy, Myungsoo?”

Ambling off the bed, Myungsoo scurried to get his camera and dived back under the covers. The backlight from the camera monitor lit their faces. Myungsoo pressed the playback button, and quickly scrolled back to the 268th image -gosh he takes a lot of photos- which Sungyeol recognised as the sunset they saw on the way there. Myungsoo showed him one by one, skipping some for lack of composition or bad lighting, or focus or repetition. But Sungyeol thought all of them are perfect. No, he knew.

                “There was the sunset just now. And then that house which was so bravo viewtiful, biewtiful,” Myungsoo rambled off in slightly sleepy gibberish, slurring his words.

He glanced up and saw Sungyeol looking at him. “Are you tired? You’ve been quiet the whole time.”

                “No. I just love you. Let’s go to sleep,” Sungyeol pecked Myungsoo on the forehead. Myungsoo grinned and shifted the camera away, mumbling, “You haven’t even seen the last one yet. I like this one the most.”

                “What is it?” he asked, fighting his sleep-heavy eyes.

Myungsoo turned the camera back, and what Sungyeol saw, was himself, laughing at somebody’s joke –maybe Dongwoo’s, but when it comes to Dongwoo, it’s more of an embarrassing story than an actual joke- and he smiled so wide, he took the camera from Myungsoo and set the camera down on the side table.

                “You can get really cute, you know that?” Sungyeol hovered over a blushing Myungsoo, leaving kisses everywhere. His hair, his forehead, his cheeks, his eyes, that see the beauty in things nobody else notices. And finally, his lips.

Myungsoo could say a thousand things about his insecurities. But with Sungyeol against his lips, chest to chest he thought, hell, we’re already perfect.