Chapter 2

Scorpio Biased

"MissTer is an androgynous group of five girls...Members were selected from the Miss/Mr contest and trained hard to be part of this band. Here are, Diana, Qiu Qiu, Zi Lun, Zhe Qiao and Niu Nai," the announcer said.

 

Onto the stage strutted five boyish girls. Some of the audience members screeched at them while others could only gawk and point. The tailored jackets, the men's shoes and the hip, funky short haircuts... they were all tomboys. The audience contingent who screamed at the stage were 98% female.

 

One girl turned to her friend, cheeks reddened and said, "Awww, I want to cuddle the blonde one!"

Her friend fanned herself and exclaimed, "Whew - it's that tall one for me! I'm dying!"

"Which one, Vee?"

Vee squealed, "The one with blue hair! Mmmm...oh my God, I love how she dances!"

 

A group of girls nearby overheard this while they were snapping photos. The one with the biggest camera butted into the conversation to add, "Mmm-hmm - did you see her legs? Uhhhh...I want to wrap her thighs around my face!"

Vee gasped, but couldn't stop herself from laughing uncontrollably.

"Ha! I saw her first!" she teased.

"Psshhh - she's big enough to share! Hey, I'm Dee," the girl with the big camera announced.

"Haha, that's funny. It rhymes with my name and my friend's name! I'm Vee and this is Lee!"

Dee laughed, "Hilarious. I'm here with my twin. We have the same name!"

Lee asked, "Seriously?"

Dee nudged her twin forward and laughed, "This is Dee #2!"

Vee raised an eyebrow, "You're... twins?"

Both Dees burst out laughing. Dee #1 explained,

"Sisters from different mothers! Um...and fathers!"

 

The girls laughed as the twins' three other friends were introduced. Dee #1 said, "Yeah we're weird: we've got two Dees, 2 Jens and a Moon."

 

Lee was lost, but it may have been because she couldn't tear her eyes away from the blonde tomboy who was now playing electric viola on stage. Only half-paying attention to the new friends, she asked, "Uh...a moon?"

Dee #2 clarified, "Yup. Two Dees, this is Jen S. and Jen W., and this is Nguyet, otherwise known as "Moon"!"

The shortest girl beamed, "Yup, Nguyet means Moon in Vietnamese!"

The blonde Jen shushed Moon and said, "Look! OMG it's Qiu Qiu!"

Both Moon and Jen S. were hot for the band's lead dancer. The girls all watched her do a solo choreography. Suddenly, two random fans bumped harshly into Jen W.

 

Jen W. was a tough chick, so her first impulse was to reel around, ready for a fight. But her toughness softened when the more androgynous girl of the pair profusely apologized.

"I tripped! I was so dazed watching that dancer! Sooo sorry!"

Jen W. laughed and said "No worries! Though I just don't understand what the big deal is about Qiu Qiu - these two over here are gaga for her too!" she motioned towards Moon and Jen S.

"Yay, Qiu Qiu peeps!" the andro sounded excited to find a like-minded group of people. She introduced herself as Hannah and said her friend's name was Anneli.

 

Jen W. said," Hey, blue-haired girl-lovers - what's her name again? She's really yummy."

Vee answered, "I think she's Niu Nai."

"Okay," Jen W. made a mental note, but was then distracted, as MissTer's leader took the stage alone,

"Uhh...well, HELLO!"

 

Dee #1 said, "Heh, yeah, she's your taste, right?"

Jen W. was spaced out. Her friends giggled at her fangirling. The leader was joined by Zhe Qiao on viola and Zi Lun on piano. Suddenly, Dee #1 wasn't sure anymore who her favourite band member was.

"Uhhhghhh...the one on the keyboard...unggghhh......"

 

Dee #2 slapped her twin in the arm,

", she looks like a 12-year old boy! You think she's HOT?"

Dee #1 shot her twin an incredulous look, "Hello, have you SEEN her?"

Dee #2 replied, "Yes I did. She's skinny and looks 12!"

Dee #1 rolled her eyes and sighed, "WhatEVER. She's HOT."

Lee chimed in, "Actually, yeah she's really cute."

 

The band concluded their showcase with an upbeat number. They danced and the crowd cheered, screamed and hooted. Among the camera flashes, the uninitiated were all but converted. The Miss/Mr winners and their leader proved that they had the goods to make a dent in the pop music industry.