Vital Confessions

Pretexts and (Mis)Contexts

The four ladies walked towards the cars parked in front of the building.  No one said a word; not until they had reached the cars and Jung ah had been seated inside Gahee’s vehicle.

“Okay Kim Uee, you better tell me what’s really happening to you.”

“I seriously didn’t mean for any of this happen, unnie.  I swear.  And besides…”  The sudden halt in confession made Gahee’s brow rise.  “Besides?”  She urged the younger girl to continue.  “There’s someone else that I like.  But it doesn’t matter since I can’t have her.”  And the girl looked down in disappointment.  Gahee saw the sadness and pain in her.  “Kim Yoojin… you know you can always tell us anything.  You know that we’re always here for you, right?”  Uee nodded weakly.  She knew that she has to say it now.

“Sashil…” she had to breathe; she needed to breathe.  ‘Pull yourself together Kim Yoojin!  You can do this!  Think of how long you’ve endured things.  The time is now.’  And when she was ready to speak again, she felt a hand tap her back lightly.  She turned and her eyes met with the girl’s.  “Unnie,” said Uee softly.  “Just say it.  You’ll feel better when you do.”  And Uee saw that beautiful radiant smile that takes people’s hearts.  All at once, she was motivated to act – and she did.  Turning her head back to Gahee again, she opened confidently and spoke, “It’s really Jooyeon unnie who I like.”