The Best Friend

Pretexts and (Mis)Contexts

"Jooyeon unnie, I need you now."  Uee, who was practically hopping on one leg, muttered to her phone as she passed by another room and was finally approaching the backdoor.  "Why are you not picking up when you're most needed???"  She said a bit loudly for she knew that no one would hear that.  She also hoped that Jooyeon heard it which would mean that she had picked up her godforsaken phone and Uee would be able to talk to her (finally).  But a formulaic voice spoke up instead and told her what she did not want to hear (sigh).  Having no other choice, Uee entered her car and sped off to Jooyeon's apartment.

It took her 15 minutes to get to the complex and about a few more to reach Jooyeon's front door.  She pushed the buzzer... but no one came to open the door.  After some more seconds of waiting, she hissed and began pounding on the door, even though she knew that she should not be doing such a thing.  Thankfully, no one came out to reprimand her.  Frustratingly, Jooyeon has also not come out.  "Aish!  Where is she!?"  Again she brought out her phone and dialled her unnie's number, and again, her unnie did not answer.  She searched desperately for other ways or other people who could help her.  She thought about her members: Jung ah was, well, she would go easy on her but not Gahee; Raina would do the same and sell her to Gahee; Gaeun was too young; and Nana – ‘oh, how can I be so dumb!?’ Uee slapped her forehead at the thought of the younger girl.  She quickly dialed Nana's number and after a few rings, the girl answered.  Uee gave a sigh of relief but quickly changed her tone with an angry one when she spoke.  "Im Nana, what took you so long?  Where are you right now?  Is Jooyeon unnie with you?  Why isn't she answering her phone?"

"Woah, woah~ unnie, slow down."  Uee could not believe what her dongsaeng just told her.  But instead of talking back, her quiet nature made her just widen her eyes in disbelief and irritation.  Nana sensed the frustration of Uee by the silence that followed her sigh.  "What's wrong, unnie?  Where are you?  Jooyeon unnie is here with me."

"And where are you exactly?"  Nana did not get why her unnie was very mad but she dared not talk back given her position as the dongsaeng.  Instead, she changed her tone, "We're here with my family in our house.  Hold on, I’ll get Jooyeon unnie for you."

"Can't you just go back here to Jooyeon unnie's apartment?"

"Alright.  Just let me say goodbye to my parents.  We'll be there in a while, unnie."

"Okay, thanks."  And Uee hung up her phone.  She went to the emergency staircase and sat there waiting for the two.  Almost half an hour passed when she was shaken awake by someone.  It was Jooyeon.  "Uee-yah, palli, let's get inside."  It took the help of Jooyeon for her to stand up straight.  They walked to Jooyeon's apartment with the older girl's hand supporting the younger one by holding her by the elbow."  Once they were inside, Nana walked out of the kitchen with a tray of drinks and cookies in hand and set it on the table by the couch.  She then sat next Jooyeon after placing the saucers on top of the table.  Uee drank the iced tea to soothe her dry throat.  She then began to speak, "Unnie, why didn't you answer my calls?"

"About that, I'm sorry.  You see, I forgot to charge my phone last night, then earlier when Nana and I set off, I forgot to bring my charger so the battery died.  Nana told me to go back but I figured that since I was with her, those looking for me would just ring her."  Nana nodded at the explanation with food in .  She fed the half of the cookie to her unnie when Uee spoke again.  "Well, no need to stay on that topic.  I have more pressing matters that I need to tell you."

"Oh yeah, Nana told me you sounded frustrated.  What's the problem Uee-yah?"