Lion and Monkey

Pretexts and (Mis)Contexts

In the living room of the dorm of After School, a competition was underway.  It was not an official one, but the audience felt the deep tension from the competitors.  They wanted so badly to stop it, but no one could move for fear of incurring their wraths.  Gaeun was especially stunned at the happening.  Raina had to hide the girl behind her to ease some of the fear, but the girl was taller than her so she could still see what was transpiring.

The staring contest has already lasted for a few minutes, but neither Lizzy nor E-young budged from their positions.  The former was standing tall in front of the latter who was sitting by the coffee table clutching a pen in her hand.  Lizzy felt more confident, proud and powerful looking down at E-young like that; on the other hand, E-young felt more cunning, subtle and unpredictable for having the whole body in her view.  Meanwhile, the two remaining people in the dorm felt vulnerable, weak and helpless just staring at their housemates.  Raina, was especially disappointed and irritated with herself for not being able to stop the two and calm things down.  She was supposed to be the leader since she was the eldest in the dorm, but when Lizzy came barging to the door yelling E-young’s name out – her voice full of anger – shock enveloped her and her mind somehow could not function well.  She did, however, manage to get help by sending messages to Jung ah and Gahee (since she felt so helpless that her brain commanded her to get someone for help).  ‘But where are they?’

By some miracle, a buzz came ringing triggering Raina’s instincts.  She ran to the door and quickly opened it.  “Unnie, palli… I think they’re gonna rip each others’ throat any moment now.”  Grabbing the two older women, Raina dragged them as quickly as she could and led them near the living room where the two stayed undisturbed.  Maknae, ran quickly towards Umma and hugged her from behind, resting her head on Jung ah’s back so as not to witness anything ugly that might transpire.

“What are you two doing?”  Gahee, being the strongest one ever, walked closer to the two and questioned them.  “Park Sooyoung, Noh E-young, care to tell me what your problems are with each other?”  But the still calm Gahee did not work on the two.  Thankfully, the alter and opposite Gahee was just around the corner in case she was needed.  “Will you two stop this nonsense and answer me!?”  And that did it for them.  Gahee earned two sets of icy glares, but the woman was already used to it; she was, in fact, shooting the two one of her own.  “So?”  The sudden sound made the two look back at each other, but this time, Lizzy spoke.  “Yah Noh E-young,” Lizzy started coldly, “I’m warning you.”

“Yah, Lizzy!  Why are you threatening your member like that?”  Gahee was starting to run out of patience.  She had not a slightest idea of what was happening between the two.

“Why don’t you ask this traitor here, unnie?”  Lizzy said, unflinching.  Gahee was about to reprimand her when she heard E-young chuckle in a very mocking manner.  “Traitor?  You go calling me names now?  Wae?  Ran out of ‘smart- words’ to say?”  Gahee did not like the way that Lizzy talked, but she disliked E-young’s retort more, for the girl she knew was not like that.

“Okay, that’s it!”  Gahee knew she had to force herself into the two at that moment or things were sure to explode.  “You two, come with me!”  She took both in each of her hand and dragged them to the kitchen where the rest were.  Jung ah knew what Gahee was up to so she walked before them and pulled up two chairs.  Gahee sat the two and took a seat across them and motioned for Jung ah to sit beside her.  Once Jung ah was settled, Gahee turned her attention back to the two.  “Okay, you two will tell me what it is exactly that you’re fighting about.  NOW.”  It was a command, the two knew.  They had to obey or they would suffer Gahee’s wrath.  So they did.  But, once again, it became a contest: who could answer their appa first and have an advantage on telling the story and making the other look like the bad guy.  Lizzy won as she had the hotter head of the two.  E-young did not seem to be bothered at all, though.

“She needs to get her act together, unnie, that’s what.”

“Get my act together?  Why Lizzy, I’m always in character.”

“E-young ah, let me listen to what Lizzy has to say first, okay?”

“Whatever.”

“Yah!  Noh E-young!  Where is this insolence coming from?  What’s gotten into you?”

“Why am I the one being scolded here?  She’s the one who came busting through the door screaming my name for the entire building to hear!”

“Yeah E-young, what’s gotten into you that made you steal Uee unnie from me!?”