02

Breaking Up with an Unrequited Love

Three months ago

"This is bull" I, Yoo Suri, am currently studying an impossible course matter, Algebra. For months now, after classes, I've been spending my time in a coffee shop trying to figure out why I needed this kind of Math in my life and how this kind of thing became my death sentence. But as they say, in every hardship you encounter, there is a thread of hope. For me, no such thread exists. There is a small token though in studying at a coffee shop. That is, I get to see something amusing almost every week.

"You're breaking up" I look up by the sound of a girl's voice. Two tables away from me and I can still clearly hear her. It's finally starting.

I closed my notebook and silently watch the scene. Would this end as badly as last time? I hope so.

"With me?" The girl asked. That's a really dumb question. Of course he's breaking up with you. I mean he's got no other girlfriend in front of him but you. But thinking about it, it's such a waste. She's pretty. She's got this long black shiny hair, perfect skin (honestly I doubt that she has a single blemish) and her face looks like a cat. Like all the other girls he'd broken up with.

The guy just sat there comfortably without saying anything. He's bored, I could tell.

"Why? What did I do wrong?" Girlfriend asked. Nope, you’ve done nothing wrong. It’s all him.

 "Don't contact me from now on." He simply said. This guy is always way too harsh. Every time I watch his break up scenes he uses almost the same words, never really looking at the girl's face. He's way too cold. He's always got a girlfriend, always breaking up on routine. I just don't get it at all.

"Is it because of Han Yuri? Was that the reason?" She asked, her voice raising and trembling. Han Yuri, once again that name was mentioned. This heartbreaker guy looked up. His eyes glaring "What did you just call her?" Girlfriend, now for sure, ex-girlfriend froze. If it were me, I would too, even with a pretty face, he was kind of scary. Every time Han Yuri's name was mentioned he would suddenly turn into something else. His blank face would begin to have an expression. Curse her or call her names, he would instantly looks like he's gonna punch you right at the face.

This was the main reason I began to get curious. Who was she in his life? Does he like her? Why not go out with her instead of playing with all those girls he certainly does not give a crap about?

"Fine" The girl stood up and left. What? Just like that? I was waiting for more action like for example kicking him on the shin or pouring water on his face or something more dramatic than that.  That kind of reaction is depressing.

He remained seated there, staring at nothing. Sometimes I wonder what was going on his head. How could a fine looking guy be a total bastard? And how does he still get a girlfriend even though he’s probably widely known to be a player?

I think I was too busy staring that I kind of almost jump when I heard my phone ringing.

“Hello” I answered. I already knew who’s calling without looking at the screen. Choi Eun Ji, my self-proclaimed best friend.

“Where are you? Are you busy?” She asked impatiently.

“I’m studying.”

“Stop that and go here quickly. This is an emergency. I really need you.” She said. She’s probably just want to do something fun. I looked at the pen I was holding. I’m not really accomplishing anything, ain’t I?

“Where?” I asked

“I’ll text you the address.”

I packed up my things and glance at the guy. Looking at him is sad. So long, player, I’ll see you in your next break up. I bid goodbye in my thoughts.

 

 

 

 

“A group blind date? Seriously?” I asked infuriated just by the thought of it. Eun Ji tried to look innocent. “What? Aya suddenly called rain check and you’re free and you never had a boyfriend so I thought I’ll do you a favour.”

“By taking me to this kind of thing?” I whispered angrily at her. We’re already seated by the U shaped couch. There’s plenty of alcohol by the table. Maybe this will help. Wait, who does group date at a bar? Kinda feels like we’re hookers to be paid.

“Shh. Just… Kill me tomorrow or something but for now it and drink up till this is over.” She whispered back

“When are the guys coming?” A girl whom I’ve never met before asked. God, her make up’s too thick.

“In a few” Eun Ji answered with a smile. I’ll definitely kill this girl.

“Who exactly are coming?” I asked. There were four of us girls, the only face I know is Eun Ji and by the looks of it, it was her who arranged this crap.

“Guys from Seoul High, you know them, they’re quite popular. Took me a lot to convince them to go.” She answered. I don’t know anyone from Seoul High, no, I don’t know any guy my age that is not related to me.

“Hey is Kai really coming?” Thick face asked

“Yeah. Oh look there they are.” Eun Ji pointed to the entrance. Enter four guys who look like they came out freshly from a magazine. Good looking or not, I wasn’t a bit interested until I saw him.

Heartbreaker guy from the cafe

Just minutes ago he was breaking up with his girlfriend and now he’s on a blind date?

The four of them sat in front of us. They introduced themselves out of courtesy even though the girls, besides me, already know who they were. It was pretty casual and the conversation smoothly flowed. I didn’t exactly know what was happening. The whole time I was staring. At him.

He looked back. His eyes, for the first time, looking at mine. His lips started carving a faint smile.

“And here I thought you only know how to study.” He said. “Who knew? Even nerds know how to play.”

He recognizes me. The bastard knew me. And he was looking right through me.

At that time, I never thought I would be the bastard’s girlfriend.