01

Breaking Up with an Unrequited Love

“Did you call them?” Han Yuri asked for the nth time, her tone of voice slightly rising each time. She flicked her thick wavy hair. She’s near to the point of exploding from annoyance and her hair isn’t helping at all. It’s hot and there are too many people and she forgot to bring a hair tie. Great.

“Kris is not picking up.” Kai answered. How many times have he said that?

“Call the others.” Yuri demanded. She could be bossy in this kind of situations. Patience isn’t really one of her virtues. She took a glance around. More People.

You see there are two things that irritate Han Yuri the most.

One is big crowds, a perfect example of which is this midnight fair they were in. A lot of people were there, scattered in every inch of the place. She didn’t even know how her stupid friends convinced her into going.

“They’re not picking up either.” Kai said in a low voice. Sometimes being with Yuri can be exhausting. He knew this would not turn out well. He knew big crowds easily get under Yuri’s skin and in the end he’ll be the one who’ll suffer from Yuri’s uncontrollable rage.

Yuri let out an exasperated sigh. She looked at Kai, with his head bent down and his lips on a little pout, just like a child who was being reprimanded from eating too much candies or whatsoever. Ah, now she remembers why she was here. She knew it almost as instantly.

With one small glance at him, Yuri immediately calm down. She didn’t care about feeling suffocated. As long as that guy was here, she’ll be fine. And who won’t be? Just look at the man. Who can look so good in a plain gray v-neck shirt and dark jeans?  Who in the earth can pull off a bed hair and make it seem fashionable? Only Kai would, or at least for Yuri that is. But don’t get it wrong, it’s not only his appearance that Yuri cares about. Who else would stay with her when she was being too prickly and mean and y? Kai was the only one.

“Nevermind. Let’s just walk around and check out the booths. I heard they got great games too.” She said, trying hard to sound excited. She smiled.

“You sure you’re okay?” Kai asked, genuinely concerned. This fair isn’t that of a big deal for him. They can go if Yuri says so.

“Yeah.” Yuri simply said before dragging him.

 

 

 

“Five shots. Shoot the star four times, you’ll win the big stuff toy or whatever you choose.” The guy on the stall explained. Kai grabbed the riffle, for a toy it can be confused for a real one. It’s just as heavy too.

“Want me to teach you?” Yuri wiggled her eyebrows. Shooting was her thing. Kai on the other hand really at it.

“No” Kai firmly said.

“Nice and easy.” Yuri muttered as Kai focused the gun to the target board.

“The first couple of shots will show you if the sights are off or the barrel is bent.” Yuri explained without Kai’s consent. He did not say anything to stop her from teaching him. He pulled the trigger and the first shot didn’t even touch the target board.

“Let me make this easy for you. The sights are off and the barrel is bent. Just finish it already” The stall guy said in a tired voice.

Kai and Yuri gave him a look. Kai shoot another one this time landing on the target board but a lot farther than the star.

“Uhh. You’re off to the left about an inch actually about five inches. Shoot around the star. Around not at it!” Yuri continued

He finished the round without hitting the star and paid for another one.

“Around the star, not at it. Around.” Yuri reminded “Yes, that’s it. Oh my god you did it! See how genius I am?” Yuri almost jump and hug him right on the spot. Almost, a word that she really really dislike.

“Great. Congrats you just won your genius girlfriend a teddy bear.” He said in a very depressing way, even putting an emphasis on the word genius. Well, a guy in his forties working on a fair, it’s a valid reason to be grumpy.

“Cool” Kai grin “Yuri-ah which one do you think she’ll like?”

And just like that, Yuri’s smile fell.

“I thought…” Grumpy old man started.

There were two things Han Yuri hates the most…

One is big crowds

And the other is being the Kai’s closest friend.