Reasoning

My Best Friend... I Mean Husband

                Towards the end of the night I decided to spend the night at Key’s house. He nagged at me while we were cooking dinner so I finally just gave up and let him take over.  “Effie, the least you could do is set the table…” Key sighed.  I followed his orders and got distracted by the sound of Jonghyun returning home from work.  “Effie, finish setting the table!”  Key yelled when he saw me run over to the door.  I knew he would nag me more if I didn’t listen to him so I waited until Jonghyun came over to the kitchen.

“Jong!  You’re home!”  I exclaimed while hugging Jonghyun tight.

“I’m home!  Hi Kibum” he said giving Key a peck.  I squealed like a little girl when I saw this and Key shoved me.  “Effie, Kibum tells me you’re staying over.  Everything okay at home?”  Jonghyun asked while sitting down at the table.

“Well…” I started to say before Key cut me off and told him about everything.

While Key and I were waiting for Jonghyun’s feedback, he didn’t see the big deal about it.  “Effie, I mean there’s probably a ton of stuff from your past that you didn’t share with him too…” Jonghyun reasoned.

“Oh you’re totally right, like that one time I ate a whole pizza by myself and then immediately regretted it.  I should have totally told him that right when we moved in together” I said sarcastically.  Jonghyun was not amused with my statement.  I rolled my eyes and continued explaining my side, “I have nothing big in my past to share about.”

The night ended with me hopping into bed with Jonghyun and Key.  My thoughts were focused on whether I should confront Jackson or not.  Jonghyun did have a point, but I can’t help but feel a bit weird about it all.  Was I jealous?  No, Jackson is just my bud!  I snuggled closer to Key trying to fall asleep and erase my thoughts.

                The next morning when I walked into my house I heard someone calling for me from the kitchen.  “Really?  I just got home and you’re already yel…” I began to say before Jackson pulled me into a hug.

“Where were you?  You didn’t come home last night!  I was worried sick!”  Jackson yelled.

I pulled myself out of the hug before heading back upstairs.  Jackson followed behind me waiting for my answer.  “I was at Key’s, speaking of which, you sound just like him right now…” I said.  Jackson stayed pouting at me with his arms cross.  “What’s wrong?  Not used to making your own breakfast?”  I finally asked.

“Ha…Ha…” Jackson responded not amused with my attitude.   “All joking aside, I was really worried about you.  You should have at least texted me…” he said looking down.

“Why… we’re basically just roommates.  Do us both a favor and don’t worry about me” I ordered before closing the bathroom door.  After I took a shower I walked into our bedroom and saw Jackson sitting on the bed.  I walked passed him to get to the closet but he grabbed my hand and made me face him.  “Can you not…” I asked while pulling my hand back.

Jackson stood up to face me, “What’s up with you today?”

I tried to play it cool by responding with, “What do you mean?”

“Don’t be dumb, I know something is bothering you.  And correction we’re not roommates, we’re best friends.  As your best friend I know when you’re annoyed by something.  So tell me!”  Jackson said slightly raising his voice which startled me.  After a minute of looking down at the floor I finally asked him about what JR had told me.  Jackson looked embarrassed that I had now known about his little secret.  “I guess I understand why you’re mad now.  I made you promise that’d we’d trust each other and everything…” Jackson said laughing to himself.  “When I was in college I was dating this girl that I met while we were taking the same course.  We were really competitive but ultimately supported each other.  After about a year and a half I asked her to marry me and she said yes.  But after we graduated, I couldn’t find work and she ended up breaking off our engagement and our relationship…” Jackson looked up at me to see if I was still listening to him before he went on.  “After the breakup and how I couldn’t find work I got sort of stuck in a rut.  That’s why I agreed to our marriage at first, so I could get the position at your parents’ company.  But now that I’m actually working and getting along with you, I’m honestly happy again.  I’m sorry.   It must have been hurtful hearing that I hated the idea of marrying you.  I was just so angry at everything that had happened.”

“I can understand where you’re coming from.  It must have so much when you graduated and couldn’t find work!  And everything with your girlfriend… To be honest with you, I agreed to marry you so I could quit law school and focus on my writing” I said trying to comfort him.

“Well it’s good to know we both went into this marriage with our own selfish intentions” he joked.  “So are we good now?” He questioned while nudging me.  As I nodded he pulled my face towards his so he could give me a quick peck.

“Jackson!  Gross!  You have coffee breath!”  I exaggerated.

“Speaking of coffee we should go get some more coffee when we get to the mall!  I’m so sleepy since I was up all night waiting for my wifey while she was off with two other men!”  Jackson yelled at me through the closet door.

“What do you mean we have to go to the mall? “  I asked once I was done getting dressed.

“You have to get a dress remember?  We have our first organization dinner that we have to attend in place of your parents!  Or did you forget that all of your parents’ business partners wanted to see the newlyweds?”  He explained to me as it had clearly slipped my mind.  He saw the annoyed expression returning to my face, “there will be a dessert buffet…ten different flavors of pies…” he was trying to persuade me.

“Fine, but we will only go to shake hands and to try all ten of the pies.  Then we are out of there, got it?”  I wagered.

“Whatever you say, dear.”