It's Settled

My Best Friend... I Mean Husband

“Nope, I’m not doing it.” I stated to my parents.

My parents were trying to get me to agree to an arranged marriage, to which I automatically declined.

“But you didn’t even let us explain…” my dad said.

“I don’t need you to explain!”  I exclaimed.

“Elizabeth.”  My mother said sternly.

“Sorry dad, it’s just… I’m already majoring in something that you want me to and now I have to marry someone that you want me to also?  Where do I get to make any decisions?  I mean, I can’t even focus on my writing with all that law school crap!  I’m 21 for crying out loud!”  I found myself yelling towards the end.

“That’s what we wanted to explain.  If you agree to marry this guy, he can take your job at the company and you can quit law school to focus on your writing” dad explained.

“I have an idea!  Why don’t you just hire the dude, like normal people do?”

“Effie, the position in the company is not just any position.  It gives full power over the company.  We need someone that we can trust.  And since you scoff at the idea of yourself in that position, why not give it to your husband.”  Clearly my parents thought about this thoroughly enough to answer back to my sassy remarks.

“Wait, I thought I was your husband!”  Key exclaimed.

Key has been my best friend my whole life.  Our parents are best friends so ever since I was a baby, I had Key.  He was like the sister I never had and was basically part of our family.

“Kibum, now what would Jonghyun think if he heard you say that?”  My mother asked playfully.

“Please momma, Jonghyun loves Effie just as much as me.”  Key said putting his arms around me.

“So it’s settled, I’ll marry into Jonghyun and Key’s marriage.  Thanks for your time parents!”  I said while standing up from my seat.

“Sit down.”  My father ordered, so I listened to him.

“As much as we love the idea of you and little Kibum getting married, I’m afraid he’s already married.  Also he happens to be married to a guy, which you are not.”  My father said.

“Okay so it’s settled! I’ll get a change so that Key and Jonghyun will finally accept me as theirs!”  I was clearly testing my parents’ patience.

“Elizabeth, we are meeting with your fiancé and his parents tomorrow and that’s final.”  My mother said, cutting off my change idea.

My mood was saddened when I realized that I really was going to have to do this.  I looked over to Key and he gave me a weak smile.  My parents stood up from their chair and left Key and I to talk.

“This is such bull…” I scoffed.

“Hey, at least you get to focus on your writing now.  Being a writer is your dream!”  Key said, grabbing my hands.

“Yeah, I might as well make the best of it.”

                The next morning I woke up to a loud banging on my door.

“Oh sorry Effie, I was moving chairs out of my room” my dad yelled from the other side of the door.  “Did I wake you up?”

My parents always did this charade.  They would always “accidentally” make loud noises in the morning, in hopes that I’d wake up.  But this morning was different.  This was the day that I would meet my fiancé.  I shuddered at the thought and that was enough to make me get out of bed.  I sat at my vanity and pulled my laptop up to call Key on Skype.  When he answered he was still in bed.

“What…” he said half asleep.

“Stop acting like I just woke you up, I know you were cuddling with Jonghyun watching food network.” I laughed.

“Hi Effie!”  Jonghyun said as he popped up on the screen.

“Jong, please save me!”  I called out.

“I can’t I have work today, but this one is crazy enough to kidnap you.”  He said looking over to Key.

“Sweetness, don’t you worry your pretty little head!  Momma Key knows everything will be okay!”  Key claimed.

With that in mind, I went downstairs to greet my parents.  They were all dressed up and ready to go.  I, on the other hand looked like I was going to a funeral.

“Dear, do we have to wear so much black today?”  My mother questioned.

“It represents my soul, mother.”  I answered coldly.

This was going to an interesting day, to say the least.