Planning

My Best Friend... I Mean Husband

               I was rudely woken up to Key snapping my bra strap.  I shot my eyes open before yelling, “What the !”  Key simply threw some clothes at me before ordering a simple, “get ready.”  I was still so tired and was throwing a hissy fit.

“I hope you treat your husband better than this… poor Jong.”  I stated.

“Shut up, I actually let you sleep in.  We have to meet your mom and mother-in-law at the bridal shop!”  Key rushed as he dragged me to the car.

When I actually had the time to fully wake up, I felt excited.  As little kids, Key and I would always be a flower girl and a ring bearer at family friends’ weddings.  We were in awe of the beautiful bride and her team of loving bridesmaids.  These experiences are why Key became a wedding planner; he loved being surrounded by love and beauty.  Now, it was my turn and even with the odd situation of the groom, I was so happy.    In the car, Key brought out a binder full of wedding plans.

“Wait… the wedding only became an official plan like two days ago.  How do you already have all this wedding info in hand?”  I interrupted his explanation of the venue.

“Please… I’ve been planning your wedding for years!”  He answered me nonchalantly.

His answer made me feel so happy for some reason.  What would I even do if I didn’t have Key?  I would be such a mess without him organizing everything for me.  I leaned over and kissed him on the cheek, “you’re the best Kibummie.”  He scoffed as we got out of the car, “like I didn’t know that”, he said before laughing.

                In the bridal shop sat my mother, Mrs. Wang, and Jackson.  Key winked at me when he saw that Jackson came also.  I tripped him as we walked over to them for revenge.  My mother took no time at all shoving me into the changing room.  I heard her and Mrs. Wang from the other side of the door say, “Elizabeth, Mrs. Wang and I took the time to pick some out that we thought were nice.  Please, try those on first.”  I sighed before looking through all of the dresses that were hung in the dressing room.  To describe them all with one word; ruffled.  The dresses were covered with so many unnecessary ruffles!  It made me question the moms’ eyesight.

“Mom!  These are all so...” I yelled from inside the changing room before my mom cut me off.

“Just try on one at least!”  My mom huffed.

She knew my style was way far from this.  I followed what she said and put on the first one that made me cringe.  When I walked out, Key basically choked on his water.  The mothers praised me while Jackson looked away trying to hide his smile.  I knew I would look ridiculous.

“Key, what do you think?”  I asked sounding totally serious.

“Uhm… it’s cute…” he said.  Although his voice said yes, his face read no.  He then stood up waving his hands, “I’m totally lying.”   He walked over to me and started poking the puffy sleeves of the dress.  “Who would make such an atrocity?”

“Enough Kibum.  If you think you can do better, you go find her a dress.”  My mother challenged.

Key scoffed, “this should be easy.”  He shoved me back into the changing room so I could take off the horrid gown.  “I’m an expert at all things wedding and Effie.  Prepare to be floored!”  Key said while walking over to where the dresses were hung.  “And you…” he said addressing Jackson, “prepare to fall in love.”  It didn’t take long before Key threw a dress over the door of the changing room, “try this on!”

It’s weird to describe putting on a dress as an emotional experience, but that’s exactly how it was.  The dress Key gave me was, to say the least, stunning.  Putting it on felt like it was meant for me.  And finally, seeing myself in the mirror of the changing room made me speechless.  Am I a princess?  I looked so mature it was almost scary.  Had I really grown this much and not realized it?

“Effie?  Do you need help zipping up?”  Key asked.

“No! I’m fine, I’ll come out…” I said while opening up the door.  Key backed up and sat with the rest of them while I walked out waiting for their opinions.  Everyone was dead silent which worried me.  “Do I look pretty?”  I asked shyly.

“Yes!”  Both Jackson and Key shouted at the same time.

I laughed and ran up to Key to hug him.  “This is totally the dress!  I don’t want to ever look at another dress and cheat on this dress!"

                After a few alterations I could pick up my dream dress in a few days.  Since we got done at the bridal shop earlier than expected, Jackson and I went to Key’s office to plan wedding stuff.  To be honest, there wasn’t much planning for us since Key already took care of it.  All we needed to tell him was the date, which again, was already planned for us by our parents.  It was going to be the day after my dress was ready, so in about three days.  When Jackson and I finally got to talk to one another without anyone around he seemed content.

“Is anyone throwing you a bachelor party?”  I questioned him.

“Actually I think my friend Mark might be in charge of that.  What about you?”

“If anything I’ll just get drunk and watch The Hobbit.”  I said plainly.

“Not that much of a partier?”

“Hey I can party!  You don’t even know partying, until you’ve been with me!”  I claimed while Jackson started cracking up.  “Like this move…”  I said while starting to dougie, “have you ever seen anyone do this move like me?”

Jackson was cracking up before he replied, “no, but that’s probably because you’re doing it totally wrong!”  He then started doing the dougie himself, “This!  Is how you dougie!”

                For the next two days, this is how our interactions were; stupid.  I didn’t have feelings for him or anything, but he was definitely a friend.  We always seemed to goof-off around and I always found myself laughing.  Jackson had definitely become a good friend of mine, one I soon had to marry.