Chapter 2

Best Friends, Maybe? (A Song Joong-ki fanfic)

“Excuse me, do you know…” before I can finish, the girls look at me apologetically.  I know…  They don’t really understand English.  They bow and say something in Korean and walk away politely.  Well, at least I know these people are polite.  I’ve asked the Principle but her directions were confusing.  Students are starting to leave to their classes.  The hallway and staircases are nearly deserted.

I have to find my class!  Then I saw three boys get out of a room which I guess is the boys’ lavatory.  What are they doing here?  Aren’t they supposed to be in class by now?  Damn, what’s wrong with me?  I should be thankful.  Maybe they can help me find my way around the school.

I run towards them hoping that they will be able to get me to my class.  “Excuse me!  Excuse me!” I say from afar and I even wave my right hand.  I seem to get their attention because they turn around.  “Thank you for stopping…”  I am out of breath from chasing these guys.  “Well, I’m new here and can any of you guys show me where this class is?”  I show them my timetable and point to the name of my class which is written also in Korean!  How pathetic I am in this school…

The boys are quite tall.  They look at me and then exchange glances with each other.  They start to murmur to each other – in Korean for sure – and I don’t know what they’re talking about.  Okay, this is awkward.  Do they even understand what I just said?  I clear my throat and start asking again, “Excuse me, I just want you to give me directions to this class.”

One of them is about to open his mouth but then he turns back to his friends and they talk again.  I’m starting to lose it.  “Guys, are you going to help me or not?!” I yelp. 

“Um…we are very sorry.  Our English is not very…um…good,” one of them says.  Finally, you speak to me!

“It’s okay.  Just bring me here.”  This time, I talk slower and manage a smile on my face.  They ‘signal’ me to walk ahead of them.  Well, that’s weird.  Aren’t they supposed to guide me?  Things start to feel awkward.  Are these guys trying to trick me?  I flinch when someone touches my hair.  I look behind.  Who else could it be if not them? 

“Guys, I’m sorry but this is not a time to joke around with me.  I’m late for class on my first day.  Please show me to my class.”  I don’t know why but I’m starting to talk faster.  I talk fast when I’m nervous.  These three boys start to grin and then look at each other.  I shake off the wary feelings and continue walking.  One of them put his arm around my shoulder.  I don’t like strangers holding me!  I cringe and get away from him which results in me leaning against the wall.

It’s pretty deserted here.  All three of them circle me and this is so uncomfortable.  “Guys, come on.  I have to get to my class!  If you don’t wanna help me, then fine.  I’ll find it myself,” I say and try to sneak out of their circle but one of them gets hold of my left arm.  “Ouch…”  I drop the papers and file I was holding.

And here I am again, leaning against the wall.  I really feel like calling my Dad right now.  The boy who got hold of me earlier stands right in front of me.  The bigger problem is he’s standing too close.  I close my eyes shut hoping they’ll just walk away and leave me alone.  I can feel my hands sweating.  This happens a lot when I’m scared. 

“Yah!!”  I hear a male voice shouts.  I open my eyes instantly only to find another boy, probably the same age as I am standing like a few metres away from us.  He runs toward the scene and has this talk with the boys who were about to harass me.  I have no idea what they’re talking about but I know it’s serious.  I freeze and watch them talk.  It starts off well until the guy who stood in front of me earlier raises his voice and before I know it.  The guy who kinda saved my life gets a punch on his jaw.

“Oh my gosh, stop it!” I shout.  The three cocky boys walk away and glare at both of us.  I give him a dirty look.  Oh yes!  The boy!  I look at the unknown boy who sorta saved me.  I have to be honest he’s pretty cute except for the bruise on his left jaw.  “Gosh, that’s pretty bad.  I am so sorry that you got punched just because of me,” I apologise.

“It’s okay,” he says.  Wow, finally someone who speaks English although his Korean accent is still there a little. 

“Come on.  Let me bring you to the nurse.  Does this school have a clinic?” I ask while I gather my things I dropped just now.  I turn to him and help him up.  I look upwards at him.  Wow, he’s tall…

“Yea, it’s upstairs.  It’s okay though.  I can go by myself,” he says as I stare at him.  He’s got dark hair with a smart-looking haircut and he’s fair.  I mean his skin is like flawless.  His brown eyes just so sincere-looking…  Oh my God, Cassie!  Get back to your senses!  Maybe I stared too long, he looks away immediately.  This guy’s pretty shy and kinda timid. 

“You’re sure?” I ask.  He just nods and smiles.  For God’s sake, do you have to smile that sweet?  “Hmm…okay then.  But first, can you direct me to this class?” I ask.  Actually, reason number one is to know where my class is and reason number two is to chat with him longer.

“Oh, it’s upstairs.  Come with me.  I’ll show you,” he replies.  I tail him all the way to my class.  He looks good in the school uniform, I thought.  He stops out of blue and I bump into his back.  I was too immersed in my own thoughts that I didn’t even realise we’re here.  I rub my forehead instantly.  He turns around and laughs.

“Here we are.  This is your class.  Now, I have to go and see the nurse.  Bye,” he says and walks away just like that.  I sigh.  Damn, I didn’t even say thank you to him.  I didn’t even ask his name!  Ugh!

I decide to just forget about that and just focus on my class today.  I make sure I look okay and then knock the door.  A woman in her 30’s, who I believe is the teacher looks at me.  She stares at me for quite some time as if she’s trying to remember who I am.  Then, she smiles at me.  She turns to her students says something in Korean.  Then, she turns to me.

“Come in,” she says as she welcomes me.  Okay, now what?  Maybe I should bow like yesterday.  I bow slightly at my teacher and smile.

“Good morning.  I’m Cassie Sage,” I say.

“I know,” she replies.  “I’m Miss Hwang and I’m your class teacher.  So, why don’t you introduce yourself to the class?” she continues.  Her English isn’t bad but the guy who sent me here speaks better.  I turn to face the whole class.  This is even more nerve-wrecking than other schools I’ve ever been.  These students are looking at me in bewilderment.  It’s like I’m some kind of weird British girl who’s lost in Korea.

I take a deep breath and start with a smile.  “Hi, everyone!  I’m Cassie Deanna Sage and I’m from Canada but I originally come from England.  I just got here yesterday and yea…I’m new here.  I hope we could be friends,” I say.  I end my introduction with a slight bow. 

They’re staring at me.  Why are they staring at me?  I decide to just ask Miss Hwang where my seat is.  “Um…excuse me, Miss Hwang.  Where’s my seat?” I ask.

“Come on, let me show you.”  Miss Hwang leads me to the back of the class and shows me a locker.  “Now, Cassie.  This is your locker.  You can put your bag here and take your books anytime you want,” she explains.  I don’t wanna waste anyone’s precious time so I put my bag immediately in my locker, locker number 23.  I’ve got to remember that! 

“Come here, Cassie.”  I turn around and see her standing next to an empty seat.  It’s right near the window.  I love it!  It’s not too far from the blackboard too.  I hurry to my seat with some books still in my hand plus my papers and my file.  Why do I carry so many things around? 

“Thank you, Miss Hwang,” I say as she leaves my spot. 

I notice there’s an empty seat next to mine.  I wonder who sits there.  Maybe he or she is absent.  Anyway, first period is supposed to be History.  So, I reach for my pencil case and grab a textbook which I think is History textbook from the look of it.  I get everything ready.  I put away unnecessary things in my drawer.  I am already holding my pen and I have a notebook ready to scribble anything down.  Cassie, let the class begins!

 

***

 

I hate these lessons!  I have no idea what these teachers are talking about and no one wants to help me!  The lessons are conducted entirely in Korean.  Dad should’ve sent me to an international school or at least he could’ve told me earlier about this.  Maybe that way I can learn Korean earlier. 

I only love Maths because it uses numbers.  Even though the teacher speaks in Korean, I can still understand what he’s talking about.  For the first time ever, I love Maths.  I’m actually quite good in Maths but sometimes I just get bored with it, you know?  I couldn’t sit straight.  For every lesson (except for Maths), I sat with my left elbow on the desk and the left side of my face in my palm.  I just didn’t understand a thing and I just couldn’t concentrate.  Once in a while, I glanced out the window, watching boys and girls running laps on the field.   Even if I didn’t understand, I forced myself to copy down everything written on the blackboard.  I was hoping that I can get someone’s help to translate the notes for me but I guess that won’t happen.  No one seems to acknowledge me.

The bell just rang and now the class is empty.  Everyone went out to the cafeteria I think and here I am.  No one invites me to join them.  I knew something like this would happen.  This is just not my place.  I sigh.  I hear footsteps.  Someone just came in to class or what?  I look to my right side.  A familiar-looking guy walks toward the lockers at the back of the class. 

I think I know this guy but I’m not sure.  He opens a locker and takes out a few books and a pencil case.  He closes the locker and head to my direction.  Okay, weird…  Turns out, he sits next to me.  He has a bruise on the left side of his jaw.  Then it hits me.  He’s the guy who ‘saved’ my life this morning!  He didn’t tell me he’s in this class too.  I know he saw me when he came in just now but he’s just pretending he doesn’t notice me.  All he does is just sit there and read his textbook.  How do I break the ice?

I clear my throat to start talking.  “Hey, you didn’t tell me you’re in this class,” I say. 

“You didn’t ask,” he replies without even looking at me.  How rude?  I sigh.  With this kinda attitude, does he even have friends?

“Well, I forgot to thank you for what you did this morning,” I say.  He doesn’t say anything.  “Um…thank you,” I continue.  Come on, say something!

“You’re welcome.”  I smile although he doesn’t see it. 

“Maybe you can join me at the cafeteria?  I’m on treat.  As a thank you,” I brave myself.  I wait for his response.

“No thanks.  I missed five lessons and I have to catch up.”  Wow, this guy’s kinda a bookworm.  But he doesn’t look like one.  All of a sudden, he turns to me.  “Do you happen to write down notes on what our teachers taught us when I wasn’t here?” he asks.

“Yes, I do have notes!”  I take out all of my notebooks.  They’re all in Korean though.  I copied down everything written on the board.  I hand it all to him.  “They’re all in Korean and I’m really sorry if there are grammatical errors or whatever.  I don’t read, speak, understand nor write Korean.  So yea…I just copied down everything hoping that someone would translate it for me,” I say.

“You want me to translate them?” he says and smiles.  Great!  I’m making friends!

“Yea, why don’t?  Sure!”  I beam.  At last, someone who would gladly help me.  I see him copying down the notes eagerly.  He writes very fast.  I can’t help but stare at him.  I guess he notices and glances at me.

“Um…what are you looking at?” he asks.  I can feel my cheeks burning.

“Nothing…just…um…you write so fast,” I blurt.  He let out a sigh.  What does that supposed to mean?  Hmmm…what should I call this guy?  Oh, yes!  I haven’t asked him his name.  “Hey, mind if you tell me your name?” I ask.

“Song…ki.”  What was that?  A whisper?  He still focuses on his writing.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t catch that,” I say.  He looks at me which kinda surprised me.

“My name is Song Joong-ki,” he says.  Then, he continues writing. 

“Okay, then.  Should I call you Song or what?”

“Song is my family name.  Joong-ki is my name.”  He still can’t take his eyes of the book, can he?

“Okay, Joong-ki.  That’s a cute name you’ve got there.  Well, my name Cassie Sage.  You can call me Cassie,” I say.

“Cool, Cassie,” he says.  “There you go.  Thanks, Cassie,” he continues and hands me my History notebook.  Well, that was fast.  It’s kinda nice having him calling me Cassie.  I don’t know why but it’s nice having someone acknowledging you.

“You’re welcome, Joong-ki.”