Chapter 1

Best Friends, Maybe? (A Song Joong-ki fanfic)

“Oh my God, Dad!  Are you kidding me?  We’re going tomorrow and you’re only telling me about this today?” I say starting to raise my voice a little.  This happens all the time when we have to move to another country.  I know I shouldn’t blame my Dad but every time he gets transferred to another country to manage a new branch, the whole family is coming with him!  It’s tiring and I am sick of it!  Almost every year, I’m changing schools and I’m switching friends.  To be really honest, I don’t even have a best friend of my own.  Once I move away, I can never get in contact with my friends.

“Cassie, if I have told you earlier about this, you wouldn’t want to come,” Dad says.  I agree with that though but at least I would be ready.  I would be able to pack my things and calm myself from throwing tantrums like now.

“Dad, I can’t stand this anymore.  We move to another country like almost every year!  I can’t cope with it…” I try to get some sympathy even though I know it won’t work.

“Honey, this is the last time we’re going to move.  I heard that they’ll get someone new to handle the next new branch,” he says.  I’m not buying that.  He says that all the time except for the new manager part.  Maybe he’s right.  Maybe this will be the last time we’re going to move.  Maybe this is my chance to find myself a best friend.

“You’re serious?” I ask, this time I speak softly and look at his face.  Dad’s face starts to brighten up a little.  Possibly he’s happy I’m no longer angry.

“Yes, I am but I’m warning you.  That was just rumours.  I can’t promise you anything yet,” he warns.  I glance at Mom who is standing next to Dad with her arms crossed.  Mom nods slightly.  I don’t entirely understand what that means but I think she wants me to agree.

“Fine, I’ll come.  But we can still visit Grandma in London anytime, right?” I ask.  Mom and Dad exchange looks and turn back to me.  They both nod in agreement.  We used to live in London along with Grandma – who is Mom’s mother, Dad’s mother passed away when I was younger – and I really enjoyed my time there.  I have childhood friends and everything.  Then, Dad got promoted and we moved to France.  After that, we moved to USA and then we moved again to Australia and we moved again to Ireland and here we are now, in Canada. 

I head to my room to pack my things.  I have a huge luggage to store my clothes, personal stuff and other important things.  The rest like books and everything will be delivered in boxes by cargo.  We have never been to an Asian country before except for Australia.  I wonder how South Korean looks like.  I’ve seen pictures of the place.  Korea’s kinda nice.  My only problem is language.  I have no time to learn Korean.  How am I gonna cope with the Korean students there?  I hope Dad enrols me in an international school but if he doesn’t, I guess I can kiss my chance of getting a best friend goodbye.  I don’t speak, write nor read Korean.  How the hell am I gonna communicate with them without facing any communication problems?  Why didn’t I think of this earlier?  I sigh.  I’m never getting a best friend…

 

***

 

We arrive at Incheon International Airport.  Well, that’s what the flight attendant said.  We step out of the airplane and head into the airport.  After getting our passports checked and our luggage, we stand in the middle of the busy airport like people who are lost in a jungle.  I see Dad talking on the phone but I can’t really hear what he’s talking about.  He hangs up and glances around.

“Who are you looking for?” Mom asks.

“Okay, you two have to look for a chauffeur.  He looks like a Korean and he’s holding a paper with ‘THE SAGES’ in capital letters written on it.  You get me?” Dad says.  Mom and I nod and start to look for that chauffeur.

Then, I saw a man in his 40’s wearing a black uniform.  He looks like he’s holding something.  I take a good look.  Yup, that’s our chauffeur.  The man’s holding a paper with our family name written on it.

“Dad, I found him.  There, there he is!” I tell Dad and start pointing at him.

“Cassie, don’t point at people like that!  That’s rude,” Mom says.  I sigh and roll my eyes.  Mom has too many rules.  She’s protocol.  It drives me insane sometimes. 

“Good job, Cassie!  Let’s go,” Dad says and leads our way to the man.  When we meet up with the man, Dad bows slightly and so does the man.  Dad signals us to do the same thing so Mom and I bow.  Maybe that’s how a Korean greets others.  I hear my Dad speak a different language.  I’m sure it’s Korean.  He speaks fluently but I know his accent is pretty bad.  I feel like laughing.  I see the man walks away with Dad still talking to him so Mom and I hurry tailing them from behind. 

When we head out, I almost bump into this Korean woman.  “Sorry,” I say.  She just smiles and bows.  I don’t want things to be awkward so I bow back. 

“You’re doing well, Cassie,” Mom says. 

“I guess I’m fitting in.”  I look at Mom and smile genuinely.  I am starting to like the culture here.  These people are nice even to strangers.  If these people at this airport are this nice, I’m sure my classmates are nice too.  I hope so.  And I really hope I’ll find myself a best friend here.  Who knows?  Maybe we won’t move anymore.

 

***

 

After a long journey, we arrive at the city we’ll be living in.  Dad said it’s called Daejeon.  It’s a quite huge city.  In fact, it’s South Korea’s fifth biggest metropolis.  Amazing huh?  I found out that our chauffeur is Mr Lee.  I thought he was Chinese but he said in Korea, one of the common surnames is Lee.  I was surprised.  I didn’t know he speaks English but I’m thankful.  At least I won’t have a problem talking to him.

We are currently heading to a district called Seo-gu.  Mr Lee says ‘gu’ means district.  I don’t really give a damn.  As long as we have a roof above our heads, I’m okay with everything.  The moment we arrive at Seo-gu, we head straight to Gwanjeo-dong.  Gwanjeo-dong is a neighbourhood where we’ll be living in.  It seems like a nice neighbourhood to me.  I hope everyone is friendly.  Dad rents a semi-detached house in the area for us to live.  He always rents rather than buy.  I’m not sure why but I think he’s afraid we might not gonna stay long here.  I hope we won’t move anymore after this.  It’s really tiring.

I step out of our car and the fresh scent of spring air is really pleasing.  It feels like this neighbourhood is welcoming our presence.  It’s always nice to feel welcomed although no one actually approach us and say, “Hi, welcome to Gwanjeo-dong!”  I don’t really mind that though. 

“So, do you like it?” Dad asks and wraps his left arm around my shoulder.  I look up at him and smile.

“Yea, I like this place.”

Mr Lee unlocks the door to our brand new home sweet home.  I try to stay as positive as I can, ensuring myself that this is gonna be a great experience.  Maybe we will stay this time and hopefully I can find myself a best friend.

I am the first to step into the house.  I must admit this house the most perfect house we’ve ever lived in.  I bet Dad’s got everything arranged.  The house is complete with furniture and everything a house needs.  Well, I am very happy.

 

***

 

I am absolutely exhausted!  I’ve unpacked my stuff.  I put my clothes in my beautiful white closet.  I’ve arranged my treasured books on the shelves.  Well, I’m done here! 

After dinner, I go straight to my bedroom.  Dad really did his homework.  I’ve always wanted my room to be painted lilac and my dream comes true.  I lie on my soft, cosy bed and observe around my room.  This starts off well, I thought.  I’m starting to love this place. I hope we won’t move again.  Fingers-crossed! 

I take one last look at my room before I go to sleep.  I manage a smile and put on my earphones.  I turn on my MP3 player and close my eyes. 

 

***

 

“Cassie, wake up!  You have school today!” I hear Mom’s voice yelling from outside my room.  I my bed with my eyes close looking for my phone.  Then, I hear my door opening.  “Sweetie, wake up!  You have to go to school,” Mom says.  Suddenly my eyes feel blinded by rays of bright light.

“Mom…please…close the blinds.  My eyes hurt,” I reply and cover my head with the comforter.  As usual, Mom pulls the comforter away from me.

“No, Cassie.  Get up, now!  It’s 6 in the morning.  Students here start school early.  Now, wake up!”  Mom takes me by my hands and gets me into a sitting position.  It’s either I give up or she’s gonna yell even louder.  “You’re 17.  Teenage girls like you shouldn’t wake up late.”  There she goes with her speech…

“Okay, Mom.  I’m up,” I give in.  I grab my towel and go to the bathroom.  I can hear Mom’s footsteps fading away as she walks out of my room.  I shower as fast as I can.  I wonder what I should wear today…  I am about to open my closet when I see a uniform on my bed.  There’s even a note on the cloth hanger.

“Your new school has uniform,” I read out loud.  Thank God…  I don’t have to find myself a cute outfit then.  I put on my uniform.  Well, the uniform’s basically a plaid black skirt, white long-sleeved blouse and a black blazer.  I also have to wear a bow.  I stare at the logo on the blazer and I have zero idea what’s written on it.  Who cares?  I look at my reflection in the mirror.  Aww, how cute and etiquette I look like?  I tie my long blonde hair neatly.  I do wanna look decent on my first day, right?  After feeling truly satisfied with my looks, I head downstairs to have my breakfast and new school, here I come!

 

***

 

“You’ve gotta be kidding me,” I say and gaze at Dad who sits next to me in the car.  I expected my Dad to enrol me in an international school so that I can make friends better but instead, he sends me to a residential school.

“Come on, Cassie.  Don’t be so fussy.  This school is good enough for you,” Dad says.  I do not agree with that!

“But Dad, how am I gonna make friends?  These students speak Korean.  I have no idea how to speak Korean.  I’ll feel awkward with them and they’ll feel awkward to talk to me!  I won’t get any friends,” I reply.  I hope he changes his mind right now and enrol me at an international school.

“Cassie, I said no.  Give it a shot, will you?” Dad eases me.  But I’m still not satisfied.

“Miss Sage, Koreans are very friendly you know.  You have nothing to worry about.  You’ll find yourself some good friends here,” says Mr Lee.

I look out the window, watching my schoolmates who aren’t like me at all walking up the stairs to enter the school.  How am I gonna fit in?  I don’t even know the name of this school.  The name is written in Korean characters on its signboard!  I glance at Dad.  He gives me this you-can-do-it smile.  “Fine, I’ll go,” I say.  Dad smiles wider and gives me a warm hug.

I get out of the car and take one last look at Dad before I go into the school.  “Call me if it’s urgent, okay?” Dad says.  I nod and wave at him.  I keep on waving until the car is out of sight.  I let out a sigh.  Cassie, welcome to…whatever this school’s name is!