epitome

Epitome
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Once something is broken, it can no longer be perfect again. But that's okay, because broken things can be fixed.

Take a heart, for example.

You can break it ever so easily, with actions and words. You can step on it, crush it, tear it apart, insult it; you can do anything you possibly could to completely destroy it.

And then the heart becomes equivalent to a broken china doll. Beautiful once, yet ugly now. Still fragile as ever, yet if you try to pick up the pieces, you'll only hurt yourself. You'll only end up bleeding in the end.

But what happens if you like this doll so much? What happens if you don't care that you'll hurt yourself? That the pain can be endured?

That's how Kim Minseok felt.

That was exactly how Kim Minseok felt.

And the feeling of regret never once washed over him.

~

The light of the sun was blinding as it shone through the glass of the window. With each ray of sunshine, caused more irritation to come over HyeJin. The sunlight hit her face hard, and she woke up from the blinding light. HyeJin's eyes fluttered open, and she sighed thoughtfully. She didn't want to get up from her bed. She didn't want the warmth of her blanket taken away from her body. HyeJin just wanted to lie in her bed forever.

Because when HyeJin closed her eyes, all her worries went away.

A sigh escaped her dry lips as she got out from bed. Her hair was a mess and she was hungry as well. She went to the bathroom to get ready for the day, and then ate breakfast once she was done.

Her parents had already left for work that morning, but a stack of pancakes were left on the counter for her. HyeJin smiled as she got out a fork and started eating. She loved her parents a lot; they were always there for her in some kind of way. Whenever she needed someone to talk to, she would go to her mom. Whenever she needed a good laugh, she went to her dad. And when Cheon HyeJin needed love, both of them came to her. That was all HyeJin could ask for from them. To her, they truly were the best parents.

But even so, HyeJin was not too entirely happy with her life. Okay, so maybe her looks are average and her grades are advanced proficient. However, that doesn't make her a bad person. But that's what the world fails to see. They think that because she's smart, she must think of herself as someone more 'superior' than others. But that is not true. HyeJin's skill comes naturally like a gift. She can't help it.

Though the world doesn't care, thus making HyeJin not quite liked throughout the school. And so, because of this, that somehow makes her 'ugly' as well. Because to the people, the mean, rude, inconsiderate bastards and es throughout her environment, they all somehow connect 'smart' and 'ugly' together. But that is not the case.

That was never the case.

Yet HyeJin finds herself being disliked by the student body anyway. And because of this, she feels as though she is not good enough for the world. Because of this, HyeJin's self esteem is a lot lower than the average person. Because of this, HyeJin is depressed sometimes.

But she learned to hide her feelings and man up. Because that is the only way she could survive in her environment.

HyeJin eats as much as she could before cleaning up the table. After doing so she grabs her backpack and gets her bike to ride to school.

The outdoors are quiet and peaceful; just the way HyeJin likes it.

HyeJin is extremely confident today. She had a goodnight's sleep and a delicious breakfast. She has also been planning for this day about two or so weeks.

So she is extremely confident in herself today.

She couldn't dress nicely because of the school uniforms, and she doesn't own much makeup except lip tint. But her beauty was natural, so it was okay.

Today was going to be a special day. HyeJin was a teenager, and there was a special someone in her eyes. There was a guy she had admired from afar for a very long time now; since freshman year of highschool.

She's a senior now.

And so today, HyeJin had decided to confess her feelings to this special someone. She felt that she had bottled up her feelings for far too long, and so she decided to finally confess.

Because, who knows? Maybe he might just like her as well.

But he never notices HyeJin. He notices other girls, but not her. And he's always with his friends, and they don't notice her as well.

Okay, so maybe HyeJin is invisible to them.

Well, invisible to all except one.

But she doesn't know that.

Though HyeJin hopes that the man she likes does notice her. She hopes that he sends her secret glances when she's not looking. She hopes that he would smile everytime he sees her. She hopes that her smile can make him happy.

Basically, she hopes he feels the same way to her, that she does towards him.

So HyeJin is happy today. She arrives at school with a smile on her face. He decides to confess her feelings after school, when most people have left so hopefully, the two would be alone. He would always play basketball after school anyway, so to her, it would be the perfect time.

Baekhyun was a really nice person, or so HyeJin perceived. Whenever her eyes laid upon him, he was always smiling and very cheerful. He played many jokes and was the ray of sunshine in his group of friends. And HyeJin liked that a lot, which is why her heart eventually started beating a faster pace when she saw him.

But there was more than what meets the eye.

HyeJin sighed in content. Nothing could bring her mood down today. All the insults and mistreatings; they would be ignored today.

"Ew, it's HyeJin."

"Did you hear? She exceeded the highest score on the math exam! She got all the bonus and extra credit questions right! She got a 130 out of 100! I hate her so goddamn much!"

"HyeJin's so ugly. Why would anyone like her?"

All of that would be ignored today. All of that, HyeJin would not care about.

HyeJin collected her books and went to class.

But someone had tripped her.

The hallways were full of laughter as HyeJin's body hit the ground. No one bothered to help her out.

Except one person...

"Are you okay?"

"I—uhm—yeah.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter