CHAPTER 9

Ugly Mistake

Tiffany laid her tired body onto the swing chair. She threw her gaze towards the night view of Seoul. Her head was throbbing painfully and her heart hurt even more. The cold air swept across her smooth skin. She stared at the night, wondering why everything went so wrong in this few months. She missed Nichkhun terribly and she missed Jessica too. She used to be her “bestest” friend ever and after her and Nichkhun betrayal, everything fell apart. Tiffany still can’t think why both of them did that to her.

 

She remembered her phone call with her… well, her ex-boyfriend just now. Nichkhun apologized to her. He did try for multiple of times already and as usual, she rejected all his apologies. She was hurt and nothing came out from his can heal this. Nichkhun was someone that she hoped will end up having family and spent all her entire life with. But now, she was sure that dream will definitely not come true.

 

I’m sorry. I’m truly do. Please Tiff, don’t hang up on me,his voice sounded heavy with guilty. Tiffany didn’t say anything but she didn’t end up the call like she usually did.

 

“I’m sorry that I hurt you this way. I promise you many things and I can’t keep it. I know you’ll hate me and I deserve that but please, say something,” say Nichkhun.

 

“what do you expect me to say? that I forgive you and good luck with your new life? Seriously?” Tiffany asked him.

 

“I don’t expect that okay. If you want to scream and throw curses at me, well go ahead because I know you should. This silent treatment kills me even more,” Nichkhun said.

 

Tiffany didn’t give what he wanted. She wanted to but she was tired to let anger conquer her. She felt silent tears rolled across her cheeks. She let silence fell between both of them before she started speaking again. “how could you do this to me,” she said.

 

“how could you cheated on me, with my bestfriend nevertheless. How could you do this to me Nichkhun Horvejkhul,” she continued pouring her heart content. “I trusted you and that was what you pay my loyalty and trust. She is my bestfriend and my sister for God sakes. I can’t look at her like I used to. Thanks to you then,” she stopped, sobbing along the way. Nichkhun didn’t say a word but she knew that he was listening to whatever retort she was spouting.

 

“I know… and I’m sorry for that, for you and Jessica. I was a fool. You’re the best thing that I asked for but… I am a fool to lose you like this. I am sorry for that Tiff. Please don’t blame Jessica on this because if I was not there that night, things will not become this complicated,” he finally said.

 

“I guess this is good bye. I guess congratulations are in order, for your wedding I mean,” she faked her laugh. Only God knew how hard for her to say that. to say goodbye to someone that you love that much. She never realized how much she loved him until she had to say that word to him. Her tears fell uncontrollably and she made no effort to wipe them away.

 

“don’t ever call me and never look at me. I know it was going to be hard since we are going to see each other from time to time but please, don’t great me or whatever. I don’t what I’m going to do,” she continued. “please take care of her. Between me and Sica, everything is going to be awkward but please take care of her. When I say this, doesn’t mean I forgive both of you but please, she is my sister and doesn’t matter how much I dislike her, it doesn’t change a fact that she is still my sister,” she said before hanging up. She didn’t wait for his reply.

 

Tiffany had this kind of ego and pride. To publicly apologize and forgive someone was not really her thing. To say those really bring everything inside her. She might look and sounded like a but that defined her. She closed her eyes, savoring cool and calming air. A few minutes later she heard someone was opening the sliding door behind her. Even though that someone didn’t talk, she recognized her perfume. It was Jessica.

 

She still didn’t open her eyes, pretending that she was sleeping. She heard her approached her. “are you asleep?” asked Jessica but Tiffany didn’t open her eyes. She wanted Jessica to think that she was indeed sleeping.

 

“Fany-ah, I don’t whether you’re actually sleeping or not but, I want to tell you that I am truly sorry for what I’ve done. I’m sorry for yelling at you last two weeks. I was so out of myself and I was so upset. I want to know that I don’t blame you at all. I would behave the same way if someone did the same thing to me,” she heard Jessica said.

 

“and I miss you so much,” Jessica confessed. “I missed spending time with you like this. Us doing nothing but staring blankly onto the space. You always spending your free time here and there but I know the favorite spot of yours is here. I know you love the view from this balcony. What should I do, Fany-ah, to get things back to their place? Everything was so ruined, was it?”

 

Tiffany didn’t hear Jessica after that but she knew that Jessica was still there. “do you still remember that we did promise to become bridesmaid during each other wedding? How we want to plan each other wedding? How we want to go for shopping our wedding dresses together? I wonder if this stupid thing didn’t happen, you’ll be partly in the process. Fany-ah, I know that it is too much but, I want you at my wedding. Am I selfish to ask for you to attend my wedding? I would be honored you know. ”

 

“I totally understand if you don’t want to be there. But if you’ll, it will be the best thing happen after all this chaos,” Jessica said. She approached the balcony door before slowly opening it, keeping the noise as minimum as possible.

 

“don’t get your hope up,” Tiffany said before Jessica closed the balcony door. “I might not come,” she continued. She felt Jessica was smiling at her respond. “I won’t,” she said before closing the sliding door. Tiffany blinked away the tears that she didn’t realize forming. She hated being emotional. She was a tough and she knew she will overcome this. She looked at the space that was previously occupied by Jessica. She still mad at her but the intensity of her anger was not as much as before. Truthfully, this was not solely Jessica’s fault and she slowly tried to learn about that. Not that they can become chummy as before, but surely she can try. She’s a big girl after all. And big girl never cried.

 

***************************************

 

“oh my, look at you. unnie, isn’t she beautiful?” asked Krystal towards Yuri and Yoona. The members were outside, helping Jessica’s mother for the final check-up.

 

“she’s right Jessica. you look like a goddess,” Yuri said. Jessica smiled while eyeing her own reflection on the mirror. Indeed, she’s beautiful.

 

“is everyone here? Tiffany?” Jessica asked. “everyone is here, except Fany. She’ll come, unnie. Don’t worry,” Yoona said.

 

“nah, I don’t mind if she doesn’t come. I understand. Who wants to see her boyfriend getting married with another girl,” Jessica said.

 

“nah, enough with sad feeling. Today is going to be your best day and you should put that feeling away,” said Krystal. “I think you should get ready. Dad wants me to call him once you’re ready,” Krystal said.

 

“well, you should call him now. I’m ready,” Jessica replied. She stood up, again, observing her reflection. She looked at her stomach. That dress really did a good job covering her bulging stomach. People can’t tell she was pregnant. Jessica turned her head toward the door once she heard someone was entering. There, stood tiffany, wearing her bridesmaid dress.

 

“hey, I’m sorry I’m late,” she said. Jessica smiled and approached her.

 

“thank you. It means a lot,” Jessica replied.

 

“it doesn’t mean that I forgive you or what not. And I’m not wishing you happy marriage,” Tiffany said. Jessica shook her head.

 

“of course,” she smiled even though Tiffany didn’t smile back. It was enough for her to have all of her members here.

 

“honey, are you ready?” asked Jessica’s father. Jessica replied with a nod.

 

“you look beautiful hun,” he said.

 

“please dad, tell me something that I don’t know,” Jessica said before laughed. Her father joined her afterward.

 

*************************************

 

‘okay Nichkhun, let’s the show begin,’ Nichkhun said to himself. He flashed his best smile to the guests inside the hall. Although both of them insist for a small ceremony, there were still a lot of people attending their wedding. Beside him, there were his 2PM members.

 

“are you nervous mate?” asked Taecyeon.

 

“surprisingly, I do. Do I look okay?” asked him.

 

“since when did you take care of your look?” Taecyeon chuckled. “by the way you look perfect,” Taecyeon continued.

 

“are you ready mate?” Taecyeon whispered.

 

“I guess I am,” Nichkhun replied.

 

“good because the ceremony is about to start. Khun, smile,” Taecyeon tapped his shoulder. Nichkhun took a deep breath and looked at the entrance. The white door slowly opened, followed by the bridesmaids aka Girl’s Generation’s members. Then, his eyes met Tiffany’s. He was surprised to see her there. She looked beautiful in her deep blue dress. Nichkhun always dreamed to have this day with someone that he truly loved. Someone liked Tiffany. But, here he was, about to tie a knot with someone completely opposite from what he dreamt of.

 

Then, Nichkhun looked at Jessica who was walking beside her father. Indeed, she looked beautiful. Nichkhun saw she flashed her smile to the guests and he knew that she was acting. Well, if she can do that, he can do better. She was beside him in no time and her eyes met him. Nichkhun welcomed her with a small nod. Her father gave her hand to him and whispered something to him.

 

“you better take a good care of them,” he said, tapping his shoulder before leaving both of them. Nichkhun gulped down his own saliva. He was still doubting whether he could the job or not.

 

**************************************

 

To both of them, everything went like watching a movie. Jessica couldn’t focus a thing of what happened around her but she put her best act during the process. She looked at Nichkhun and from his expression, he was just like her.

 

“you may now kiss the bride,” that words awoke Jessica from her own daydream. She looked at Nichkhun and tried to tell him to do whatever that was supposed to do and get over with it. She was dying to get out from this dress and heels. The heels were killing her foot and if Nichkhun didn’t make this as quickly as possible, she was going to kill him as well.

 

Nichkhun cleared he throat, slowly lowering himself to Jessica. He stopped to study Jessica’s face before pursuing his action. He wanted to laugh when he saw her expression. He knew that Jessica wanted to end this so-called ceremony as quickly as possible and well, he decided to teach her some lesson. Somehow, revenge is always sweet.

 

Their eyes were silently talking to each other. For outsiders, they might look like a loving couple, looking lovingly to each other’s eyes. Well, they will not know about the silent battle between those two.

 

just kiss me, you stupid,’ Jessica silently begged.

 

not that fast, dearie. Not that fast,’ Nichkhun stared at her face.

 

people are watching. Just give them something that they are hoping to see,’ Jessica started to feel irritated. She can’t imagine how her life would be with this guy.

 

I know what you want wifey, but I’m not giving you that easy. You love to make my life hard. Well, I can play the game well. Consider this as my payback!’ Jessica smirked. She looked at the guess before averting her stare to the guy in front of her.

 

well, if you don’t want to, then I will,’ Jessica grabbed Nichkhun’s collar and dragged him to her level before planted her lips to his. After a split second, she let go of his collar. Jessica spun and faced the audience. They were clapping their hands and wishing the couple happy marriage. Nichkhun recovered from Jessica’s action. He rested his hand on Jessica’s waist and spun her to face him.

 

“that was not consider as a kiss. You should just wait,” Nichkhun said before kissing her on her lips. Of course, the kiss was absolutely different from the previous. The audiences around them were clapping harder.

 

“that is what we call a kiss,” Nichkhun said while touching her cheek, well, lovingly. Jessica strained herself from kicking his shin, or maybe stepping on his foot.

 

“that was lovely… not,” Jessica replied with a fake smile to cover their conversation.

 

“of course,” Nichkhun said while literally dragging her down the aisle, waving and more smiling. Today was going to be a very long day and Jessica hoped that everything will end up well.

 

*********************************

 

“I’ll take the bed,” Jessica said while throwing herself on the king sized bed.

 

“what make you think that I’ll give you the bed?” Nichkhun asked her.

 

“it has been a very long day for me,” Jessica said.

 

“well, same goes to me. We present at the same wedding, remember?” Nichkhun replied.

 

“well, at least you don’t have to wear heels,” Jessica pointed to her heels that were already landed on the carpeted floor.

 

“you were given a choice for not wearing one,” Nichkhun didn’t want to surrender. Well, he was not that kind of typical gentleman guy who will give up everything for the sake of a girl.

 

“I have to look good. So not wearing one is not a choice. Plus, I am the girl here. Girl always gets the bed,” Jessica added.

 

“I am not that type of guy, you know. You’ll not expect anything from me. And I think the bed is way too large to accompany both of us. I am so tired and please, let me sleep on the bed instead on coach. I promise that I won’t do anything to you. I’m going to stay as far as I could from you,” said Nichkhun. Jessica crossed her arms around her chest while observing Nichkhun’s expression.

 

“aish, why do they have to throw us inside this suite? Why don’t just let us go home,” Jessica let out her anger. Instead of being at their house, they were given a honeymoon suite at the same hotel where the wedding was held. A honeymoon gift from their agencies. Jessica smirked at the thought. How could they let them inside this room alone? They might end up killing each other in no time.

 

“whatever it is, here we are. So the best thing is, we settle this as soon as possible so that we can sleep peacefully. Plus, this was not the first time we sleep on the same bed. There was nothing to hide. I’ve seen them all,” Nichkhun replied.

 

Jessica casted a look to him. “look what happen the last time we spent our night together? I won’t be here if that stupid night didn’t happen,” Jessica said. “and you said you were drunk that night. how can… how can you remember any of it?” Jessica added. She can feel the rush of blood to her face. 

 

“I might be drunk but that didn’t meant that I didn’t remember what happened that night. By the way, you look amazing that night,” Nichkhun laughed at Jessica’s priceless expression. Her face looked like she was going to explode soon.

 

“yah!!” Jessica screamed.

 

“aish chincha. I was kidding okay. Don’t get yourself twisted just because of that,” Nichkhun said annoyed with Jessica’s short tempered.

 

“whatever. I am going to the shower. Do whatever you want to do but the bed is mine,” Jessica said before disappearing into the bathroom. Originally, she was going to let Nichkhun sleep on the bed. But, after hearing his stupid comment about that night, she decided that she will not have any mercy to him.

 

By the time she was out from the bathroom, it was already 11.45PM. It passed her regular sleeping time. She spent her time longer inside the shower since she needed to remove all those make-up and such. And normally, she liked to take her time inside the shower. She walked toward the bed and the sight in front of her really woke-up her already-sleeping anger. Nichkhun was sleeping in his suit on their honeymoon bed. Jessica tightened her robe and walked herself toward the sleeping prince.

 

“yah, wake-up,” she shook his shoulder slowly but, Nichkhun didn’t even budge. Slowly, she calmed her anger.

 

“Nichkhun-shi, you better wake-up before I do something that you’ll regret for life,” she said, lowering herself so that she could speak directly to his ears. And again, he didn’t move. Jessica took a deep breath before letting out her dolphin sound right into his left ear.

 

However, Nichkhun’s respond was not what she expected. She was shocked when he grabbed her waist and pushed her onto the bed. She was now trapped between him and the bed. “yah, let go of me,” she said while struggling herself from his grip.

 

“I’m not letting you go, unless you apologize for screaming your heart out into my ear. I thought I was going to deft.” Jessica ignored him. She focused on how to get herself out from his grip.

 

“or we could stay like this until morning because I’m telling you that I won’t let you go unless you said that magic world,” Nichkhun continued.

 

“you can dream but I won’t say that,” Jessica replied.

 

“okay then, just stay like this until morning then,” Nichkhun said while tightening his grip.

 

“aish chincha. At least go wash yourself before sleep. Your smell makes me nauseous,” Jessica said, while faking gagging. “don’t yell at me if I vomit on your suit,” she continued.

 

“nah, I don’t mind. It shows that the baby interacts with me,” he replied.

 

Jessica cursed inside her head. “the baby!! What if you squish the baby?” Jessica said.

 

“I don’t squish the baby. Quick, say you’re sorry and we are done,” Nichkhun said. He was hoping that she will say the word. He was tired and being at that position was not helping his tired body. But, he will not surrender himself unless Jessica apologized first. He had an ego. A very big one at that.

 

“okay, okay. I’m sorry you dumb head. Now, could you please remove yourself from me so that I can get my beauty sleep?” she finally.

 

“of course,” Nichkhun replied before standing up. He held his hand and help Jessica to get on her foot. She moved to the center on the bed and threw him a glare. “you’ll be dead if you dare to sleep on the bed,” Jessica said before burying herself into the silky sheet.

 

“whatever. Sleep tight,” he said before removing himself into the bathroom.

**************************************

 

Jessica tried to ignore the noise. She covered her head with a pillow to block the noise. “aish chincha. Krystal, if you don’t stop that stupid alarm, I’m going to kill you,” she said while kicking her ‘sister’. Then she heard a groan beside her left ear. She quickly stopped from moving as she was positive that the groan was nothing like Krystal’s. She could feel that someone was beside her, with a hand or arm circling her waist.

 

‘Okay, Jessica, relax,’ she said to herself. She tried to calm down her heartbeat and tried to think. She slowly removed the pillow and opened her eyes. Then, her eyes met Nichkhun’s handsome face, few inches from her own.

 

“arghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” she screamed while her legs doing an extra job, kicking and pushing the said guy.

 

“yah, what are you doing inside my room?” she looked at herself and sighed with relief seeing herself wearing her pajama.

 

“can you just stop screaming and let me sleep?” Nichkhun replied.

 

“oh my God, this is so not happening again. Yah, how can you sleep in this situation? What did you do to me and how did you end up in my bed?” Nichkhun hoisted himself up and looked at Jessica.

 

“what nonsense are you talking about?” Nichkhun asked with confused face.

 

“nonsense? You ask me what nonsense?” Jessica replied. “after what happened last time, how dare you end up sleeping with me again?” she added.

 

“are you actually have dementia or something? Amnesia maybe? Did you forget that we got married yesterday? That’s how I end up being in the same room with you,” Nichkhun said to her.

 

“what?” then yesterday occasion came to her mind. Their wedding. She rested her head on her palm and tried to tell herself that this was just a dream but her memory told her otherwise. Then, she remembered their last night fight.

 

“what did I tell you about sleeping on the bed?” Jessica asked him.

 

“that I will be dead if I dare to sleep on the bed with you?” Nichkhun replied coolly. “I take that as a dare,” he added with the same tone.

 

“you are impossible!! You think I don’t dare to kill you? You…” Jessica couldn’t finish her little speech as she stood up and ran to the bathroom. A few second later, the sound of her vomiting, filled up the room. Nichkhun stood himself up and went to the bathroom, where Jessica was currently occupying. He held Jessica’s hair and rubbed her back.

 

“are you okay?” he asked with a concern. Jessica flushed the toilet and washed her face. She looked at his reflection on the mirror.

 

“you and your baby really know to torture me,” she said to him. Nichkhun laughed at her reply.

 

 “I thought the morning sickness is already gone. It already passed the first trimester right?” Nichkhun said to her.

 

Jessica looked at his face. He was showing a genuine concern right now. Well, honestly, she was touched with his concern. “I didn’t experience any during the first trimester. I have just started a few days ago,” she replied.

 

Nichkhun lowered himself and halted once his head was at the same level with Jessica’s lower abdomen. He looked at Jessica’s bulging stomach and slowly touched it. That was the first time he touched her stomach. “yah, what are you doing?” Jessica said, tried to remove his hand from touching her stomach.

 

“shhhh!” he said, stopping her hand. He looked at Jessica’s stomach and smiled.

 

“hey baby. Can you hear me? It’s your daddy. This is the first time we officially meet right? Are you that upset, making your mummy vomit this early morning? You better behave inside there. Don’t torture your mummy that much,” he said. He did read a few books about pregnancy and baby development inside the womb. Speaking with baby is one of the ways to build a good connection and strong relationship.

 

Jessica was speechless. He was speaking to their child and she never thought that she will end up in this position, with him no less. And, Jessica was nearly loss her breath once he planted a kiss on her stomach. Okay, maybe he was communicating with his baby but this was way too much. They were not in that kind of relationship that allowed him to do this.

 

Jessica cleared and moved backward. “you should stop doing that. I… I need to take shower,” Jessica said while not looking at him. How can him changed from snarky guy and a jerk to a caring soon-to-be father in a split second? Nichkhun excused himself to allow Jessica to have her morning shower. Jessica closed the door and leaned her back toward the door. Her hand rested on her stomach, exactly where Nichkhun planted his kiss. She shook her head, tried to clear the image of him.

 

‘from now on, I should be careful. It will be way harder than I thought it would be,’ she said to herself. Of course, she did promise to herself that this marriage will mean nothing to her. And she will do whatever it took to prevent herself from getting emotionally involved.