Chapter 5

The Consequences

“It’s so boring here,” Junhong whined through the computer, clearly sulking. “I love my parents, but I can’t do anything and I miss you guys.”

 

Jongup smiled and adjusted his laptop so he could see the other more clearly. They had taken to using Skype a lot lately, and Jongup had to admit it was better than texts and phone calls, because at least he got to see Junhong’s face this way. “We miss you too. And don’t worry, you’ll be better soon enough and then we’ll all be together again.”

 

Junhong sighed and Jongup could see him moving around in his bed, probably trying to get comfortable. “Yeah, that should be fun. I watched some fancams, and it’s a good thing I broke my leg so people can use that as the reason why everyone looks like . What’s happening over there?”

 

Instead of replying, Jongup raised an eyebrow. “Why were you watching fancams?”

 

A light blush appeared on Junhong’s face as he averted his eyes. “…I wanted to see how you were all doing.” He blinked repeatedly and looked into the camera shyly. “You did really well the other day, you know. I couldn’t look away from you even once when you had your solo.”

 

Jongup grinned and muttered a thank you. He appreciated compliments by everyone, but Junhong’s were always more special, even when they were simple.

 

“You’re welcome,” Junhong smiled awkwardly. “Will you tell me about the others now? Because I’m sure I saw a few people who were wondering if we’re breaking up soon, and that’s not okay. And hopefully not true.”

 

Jongup sighed softly and rubbed his nose. He hated the atmosphere at the moment and he missed Junhong more than ever. Daehyun and Himchan had agreed to mostly stay out of Youngjae’s and Yongguk’s way, because they knew it might hurt them. They had gone shopping the other day and ran into the other two, so Himchan had made the drastic decision to stay in his room during their free time. Daehyun had, of course, happily joined in, making the best of a bad situation. Jongup had tried hanging out with them a few times, but apparently Himchan’s rule of ‘no PDA in front of people’ didn’t count when ‘people’ consisted of Jongup only. And he didn’t even mind seeing a hug here or a kiss there, but Daehyun liked to whisper in Himchan’s ear, and although Jongup couldn’t hear what he was saying, the way Himchan’s cheeks flushed and Daehyun smirked were more than enough.

 

Yongguk and Youngjae, meanwhile, seeking a distraction from their pain, went out together constantly and afterwards spent time in their room. Jongup had joined them once or twice as well, but he could tell he was a third wheel. Not intentionally, of course, but the two of them understood each other better than he could. Basically, everyone was completely divided and there was no semblance of a group unless it was absolutely necessary.

 

“And now, since a day or two, Youngjae hyung has been avoiding everyone,” Jongup concluded with a deeper sigh than before. “I don’t know why and he won’t tell me. I’ve tried.” He gazed at Junhong sadly. “You’d probably get it out of him, since you guys are closer.”

 

Junhong shook his head. “Depends on what it is. If he doesn’t want to talk, he won’t.” He paused and scrunched up his face thoughtfully. “Have you tried asking Yongguk hyung? Maybe he did something. I mean, if they’re not talking either… They seemed pretty cosy before.”

 

“You’re closer to him too,” Jongup pointed out. “And besides, you know what he’s like. He’d just tell us not to worry about it.”

 

“Maybe, maybe not,” Junhong replied. “Just try? And then try to get everyone together, because this . They’re acting like kids.”

 

“What do you expect me to do, shove them all in a room and lock the door?” Jongup asked, raising his eyebrows. He honestly had no idea how to ever accomplish that. Besides, it wasn’t really in his personality to be that aggressive. He’d help in any way he could, but he couldn’t force anyone to do anything.

 

Junhong puffed out his cheeks. “Good point… Well, when you guys are back in Korea, you’re going to visit me, right? We’ll all be together then. I just wish that wouldn’t take so long…”

 

“Me too,” Jongup admitted. “I don’t think we should wait until then, because things are bad.” He looked at Junhong, pale and cute, curled up on his bed and so, so far away from him. He missed him, he really did. Not only because of the current situation in the group, although that did nothing to help, but also because he simply missed his friend, his tall, shy, adorable friend.

 

“And I don’t like waiting to see you,” he continued, his cheeks warm at the confession. He chuckled fondly when Junhong hid his face. Talking to Junhong always cheered him up. “You’re really cute.”

 

Junhong seemed to glare at him, but he couldn’t tell properly, and he couldn’t say he cared that much either. He never meant it anyway. Not with Jongup, at least.

 

“I guess I want to see you too,” Junhong said, his voice muffled from where he was huddled into his blanket, with only his hair, eyes and the tips of his ears sticking out. “But only because I’m bored. Not because I miss you the most or anything.”

 

Grinning amusedly, Jongup nodded. “Of course. Wouldn’t dare think any different.”

 

Junhong mumbled something else, but it was so quiet Jongup had to ask him to repeat himself. The younger sighed and pulled the blanket down a bit, revealing his bright red face. “I said, maybe I kind of want to kiss you when you get back,” he said quickly, so fast Jongup had to take a moment to process the words in his head.

 

“You… what?” He had thought about it before, but had no idea Junhong had as well. Kissing him would be something to look forward to, though, and if that was his reward for putting up with the drama, he’d gladly do it. “Are you sure?”

 

Junhong groaned and hid once more. “Yes, now shut up, it’s embarrassing.”

 

“No, it’s not,” Jongup smiled. “And maybe I kind of want to kiss you too,” he teased.

 

“…You do?” He smiled back, seemingly relaxing. “That’s good. Then you should. And if I’m bad, I’m sorry.”

 

Jongup laughed softly. “You could never be bad at anything, Jello.”

 

“Shut up,” Junhong said again, still looking embarrassed. A female voice in the background interrupted their conversation, making the younger sigh. “Yes, mum, I’ll go sleep now!” He shook his head and returned his gaze to Jongup. “I swear she’s trying to make up for any sleep I might have missed in the past few years,” he muttered.

 

“She’s just looking out for you,” Jongup reminded him. As much as he missed Junhong, he wouldn’t mind spending some time with his parents for a change, allowing himself to be spoiled and pampered.

 

“I know… I just wanted to talk to you longer.”

 

The dancer grinned happily. “Same. But we’ll talk again tomorrow, and then I can update you on any news over here. I think I’ll try to ask Yongguk about it after all.”

 

After some more promises that he’d tell him everything and that he really missed him and that yes, he’d come see him as soon as he landed in Korea, Junhong finally left, blowing a kiss at the camera before disappearing offline (and probably hiding in his blanket again).

 

For once during this trip, Jongup went to sleep without dreading the morning.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Ever since the incident, as he had dubbed it in his head, Yongguk had regretted it more than anything. He didn’t know what had come over him, except that he had grown too attached to Youngjae. The younger boy had practically become his rock, and he knew he felt something for him. He wasn’t sure what, not yet, which was why he should have never tried to kiss him.

 

Youngjae had simply looked so beautiful and he had been so sweet, and before he fully realised it himself, he had thought of tasting those soft lips. And now Youngjae wasn’t speaking to him. He was mostly out and didn’t go to bed until after Yongguk did and got up before him, even when Yongguk tried his hardest to stay up.

 

This morning he had come down to breakfast only for Youngjae to stuff his mouth and rush off, leaving Yongguk to sit down awkwardly under the scrutinising eyes of his friends. He murmured a good morning and grabbed a croissant from the basket on the table. From the corner of his eyes he could see Jongup opening his mouth, yet it was Himchan who spoke first.

 

“What the hell happened between you and Youngjae?” the visual asked bluntly, his dark eyes narrowed. “And don’t say it’s nothing, because we can all tell it isn't.”

 

Yongguk toyed with his food before shoving it aside, no longer hungry. What was the point in denying anything anyway? They had all noticed. And he was supposed to speak up more, after the mistakes he had made with Himchan. “I tried to kiss him,” he admitted.

 

“What?!”

 

Yongguk closed his eyes at Daehyun’s exclamation, feeling worse at the indignance in his voice. He was grateful Jongup was here, because between Himchan and Daehyun, he had the worst possible audience for his story.

 

“You can’t just go ahead and kiss random people!” the vocalist continued, blushing when the other three turned to look at him. “Okay, so I’m not the best person to say that, but that doesn’t mean it’s not true.”

 

Yongguk ran a hand through his hair and breathed out through his nose. “Youngjae isn’t random,” he replied patiently. “I like him. I don’t know if it goes further than that, but I genuinely care about him. And now he won’t even talk to me.”

 

“Did you try to talk to him?” Himchan asked, his arms crossed and eyes unreadable, yet Yongguk knew exactly what he was thinking.

 

“I did, but he’s very actively avoiding me.” He hesitated, but knew he had to say it at one point anyway, so why not now? “I know I’ve been an idiot, but I don’t want to hurt anyone else the way I hurt you,” he said sincerely, seeing Himchan’s eyes soften ever so slightly at those words. He knew he hadn’t been good to Himchan. The other hadn’t deserved his hot-and-cold treatment, and neither did Youngjae. The difference was that he now knew better.

 

“Okay, that’s enough of that,” Daehyun said gruffly when the two didn’t break their stare, and Yongguk pretended to look at his shoes when Himchan leaned in to nuzzle the other boy’s cheek. Just because he liked Youngjae didn’t mean his feelings for Himchan were fully gone. There was still a gaping hole in his chest where his best friend used to be, although Youngjae was starting to fill it up.

 

“Maybe I can help?” Jongup suddenly said, looking unsure of himself when everyone paid attention to him. “Youngjae hyung, he asked if he could share my room with me,” of course he had, “and I haven’t said yes yet, but what if I do and then, instead of me, Yongguk hyung goes into the room. He can’t avoid him then.”

 

“That would be cruel,” Yongguk sighed, feeling slightly guilty at the younger’s disappointed face, “but thank you, Jongup.”

 

“Why is it cruel?” Himchan demanded. “Sure, it’s not playing fair, but I think it’s a good idea. You guys need to talk, because things are tense enough already and we can’t have anyone else falling out. Maybe he won’t be happy, but so what? You should at least get a chance to explain yourself.”

 

Yongguk shook his head, happy they were trying to help him, but knowing it wasn’t working. “Explain what? I don’t even know why I did that.” How could he even begin to explain something he himself didn’t understand?

 

“What did Youngjae do, when you tried?” Daehyun asked softly, barely looking at him. At least he was talking normally.

 

“He seemed to lean in,” Yongguk answered slowly, trying to remember that exact moment. He recalled the way Youngjae had moved forward, his eyes soft and trusting. “Yeah, he did. Just a little.”

 

“And why did you stop?”

 

Yongguk frowned at Daehyun, wondering where all these questions were coming from. “Because a door slammed and distracted us. And that was when Youngjae ran off.”

 

“He could be confused,” Jongup offered. “Like you! I don’t think Youngjae hyung would kiss someone, really kiss someone, not just on the cheek, unless he meant it. But maybe he’s not sure what he feels either.”

 

“Not to mention that I don’t think he’s completely over his last rejection yet,” Himchan added quietly, with Daehyun wincing slightly at the memory.

 

Perhaps it wasn’t the worst idea… And if Youngjae told him to get lost, he would. And he’d move on again, from… whatever it was, love, like, somewhere in between. Finally giving in, he threw up his hands.

 

“Fine. When do you guys think we should do this?”

 

Himchan grinned. “Why wait? I say we do it tonight.”

 

 

A/N: I wasn't happy with how I left the last chapter, so I wrote another one. We're finally moving forward! Well, if Yongguk and Youngjae will cooperate, that is, but Yongguk is trying. And there's definitely something going on with Jonglo. :P As I said, I'm not sure when the next update will be (this time for real), because of holidays plus other stories I need to write/update. It should be fun, though. Tricking Youngjae... You'd think they'd know better.

Anyway, thank you for reading! :)