Back Then

Love In The Ice

It was years ago when they last met. They were still in middle school then, nothing but games and recklessness.

--

“C’mon, we can sneak in through here!” Changmin’s voice was soft and a little high as he led them through the back door – one hand carrying their skates by the laces, the other holding Sunhwa’s hand. The younger girl giggled quietly as they went through the dark hallway leading to the rink.

They entered the large rink and Sunhwa’s mouth dropped open. The rink was huge and dimly lit. They sat on the bleachers and wore their skates. As soon as they were ready, they slipped onto the ice. The surface was smooth and they slid easily.

“This is better than the one at school” Sunhwa expressed then made a short spin. Changmin clapped his hands and cheered, “The next Olympic Gold Medalist!” Sunhwa laughed and bowed dramatically. “Ladies and Gentlemen, introducing the youngest and first Korean to win a Stanley Cup and voted MVP!” Sunhwa stated. Changmin threw his hands in the air and started acting like he really just won. Sunhwa laughed until she fell on her . Changmin pointed at her and chuckled before extending a hand to help her back up. But instead, he got pulled down next to her. She stuck her tongue out and laughed as she got up then ran away from him.

Thirty minutes later they were breathing heavily while lying on the ice.

“I can stay like this forever” Sunhwa said. Changmin nodded in agreement. He lifted his hand and looked at his watch. He bolted up and pulled Sunhwa with him. They quickly took their skates off and headed out.

“Were we about to get caught or something?” Sunhwa called out to him as they ran through the hallway. “No,” Changmin answered, “but we’ll miss it if we stayed.” “Miss what?”

Changmin pushed the door open. The smell of fresh morning air filled her senses and the whole city was covered in a pale blue light as the sun began to rise. Everything was peaceful and the sound of the town barely waking up was one of the most calming thing Sunhwa’s ever heard.  Changmin turned to her and smiled. He then stretched and yawned. “You looked like you needed a break from everything. I come here when I’m stressed or sad, just to skate then watch the town come alive. It’s calming isn’t it? How everything just… starts” he told her.

Sunhwa tear-ed up and started sniffing.

“H-hey! Why are you crying?” Changmin blurted out. Sunhwa let out a soft chuckle, “it’s the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me!” then she proceeded crying.

Changmin rubbed the back of his head and let out an awkward laugh.

From then on they’d head out to skate and watch the sunrise every weekend.

--

Changmin stared as Sunhwa laid her hands on the railings and watched the city beyond her get lit up by the rising sun. He remembered those weekends they’d skate and watch the town unravel before them. They were only casually dating then but he was alright just being around her. Even at that moment when they’re barely even friends.

Sunhwa sighed. This was the last free weekend morning she had for training would begin again. She shouldn’t waste all that time she spent trying to get over her feelings for Changmin just because they’ve met again.

“Hey, I gotta go” Changmin called out to her, “I’ll see you around.” Sunhwa turned to him and waved. She didn’t want him to leave but it’s for the better. Changmin walked away with a soft smile on his face. It was great seeing her again, but he can’t linger on a feeling long forgotten. Or so he thought.


to have readers would be nice

but it's okay...