See You Again

Love In The Ice

Changmin couldn’t believe what he was seeing.

In the middle of the cold and barely lit skating rink, was a girl gracefully twirling in her ice skates. She slowed to a stop and glided back with great precision and rhythm it’s obvious that she’s used to doing such moves. She continued to slide through the ice readying herself for a jump. She took a leap then turned. Her foot didn’t support her landing properly and she fell on her .

Changmin quickly took the cover off the blades of his skates and glided through the ice towards her. “Are you okay?” he yelled out. The girl, startled, quickly looked up to see who was talking. Her eyes grew wide, “Changmin?” she blurted out. The boy couldn’t hide the smirk on his face. It really was her.

“You’re still doing that, huh? Running out here to skate before dawn,” he said putting out a hand to help her stand up. “You too…” the girl replied as she wrapped her hand around his. He pulled her up and they stared at each other for a while.

“Sunhwa,” Changmin mumbled, “it’s been a while.”

Sunhwa tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and smiled, “A long while. Look at you. Still playing hockey, I guess?” she said.

The boy nodded in response then began to skate around her, “Training’s been good then? That was a magnificent spin; the Lutz could’ve ended better though” he spoke out.

Sunhwa kept her eyes on him as he skated through the rink. “Haha. Been studying figure skating terms or has the skating chicks you date been teaching you?” she jokingly teased. Changmin stopped and looked towards the net, placed his hands before him like he was holding a stick and swung his arms as if scoring a goal. “None since you” he lowly mumbled. The smile on Sunhwa’s face disappeared for a moment as she watched Changmin head to the bleachers to grab his hockey stick and a puck.

Maybe she was wrong. All this time she thought he would’ve done the same as her. Date people from the same line of sport just so every puck, every game season, every hockey term wouldn’t remind her of him.

“I prefer hockey fans. Those girls know how to keep up during game season” Changmin chuckled, skating towards her.

Okay, maybe not, Sunhwa thought. She smiled awkwardly at him.

Changmin laid the puck on the ground and maneuvered around it, “How about you? Any NHL stars worth your time?” he asked. The girl stood straight then nervously shook her head. “No professional players though… Couple high school champs” she explained. “Oh” her companion expressed and she swore there was a hint of disappointment in his face.

He swung the hockey stick and the puck went flying towards the net. “Since when have you been back?” he asked. “Yesterday morning,” she answered, moving around the rink, just getting used to the ice beneath her.

Maybe it wasn’t too bad to see each other again.