Almost

Love In The Ice

The training for both the hockey team and the figure skating team has begun.

Changmin stood tall among his teammates as he saw Sunhwa close behind Ms. Park – the figure skating coach. He watched her from the other side of the rink as she got introduced to the other members of the team.

“Hey Changdola” a deep voice spoke out. Changmin shifted his attention to his teammate, Yunho. “What do you want?” he sighed. Yunho looked towards where Changmin was looking and grinned, “you checking your girl out, again? You little punk” he teased. Changmin shrugged in reply.

“Alright! By the end of this month, I need you all to have improved speed by at least 10% and accuracy by 15. 10 laps around the rink. Go! Go! Go!” Coach Lee yelled at them and the hockey players immediately shuffled into place and started moving towards the other end of the rink.

Sunhwa tapped her skates on the ice twice before gliding towards the group of skaters in the middle of the rink. Coach Park started giving instructions on the warm up and the types of spins to be practiced during that session. She stopped behind a bunch of giggling girls who were eyeing the hockey players that were roaming around the rink.

“Over there!” a girl with her hair in a high bun pointed out to her companion who had shoulder length hair and heavy bangs. The latter girl giggled as she wiggled her fingers as a subtle wave. Sunhwa turned to where they were ogling at and saw a familiar boy smiling back charmingly. She rolled her eyes and placed her attention back to Coach Park. Typical Changmin she thought.

The practices went on and Sunhwa found out that the girl with the high bun was Jooyeon and her friend was called JiEun. Both were accustomed to the ice but are pretty new at figure skating. She spun but fell on her , she quickly stood up but was already being laughed at by the two. “Hey don’t worry about them, they don’t even know how to skate backwards,” a soft voice spoke to her. She turned around and saw a petite lady with brown hair. “I’m In na. I’m a junior like you. That spin is executed well but there’s something wrong with the way you stop. Do your feet hurt of something?” the girl said. Sunhwa smiled and shook her head, “just a little out of practice that’s all. I’m Sunhwa, nice meeting you”.

Inna told Sunhwa all about the team- from the members to who they’re dating to why they’re skating. She talked a lot but Sunhwa enjoyed her company. By the end of practice they were both doing better spins and have become friends.

“So… what’s your story? Why’d you come back to Seoul when you’ve got great opportunity out there?” Inna asked as they took off their skates. Sunhwa just gave a smile, “homesick, I guess” she lied.  It was something for another time.

The hockey players were now shuffling towards the hallway to the shower rooms and Changmin lightly knocked on Sunhwa’s head with his hockey stick. “Yah! Changmin!” she yelled at him. He laughed as he walked away. When Sunhwa turned her head back towards Inna, the girl was gaping at her. “What?” she said. Inna placed a hand over then put it back down, “Why are you calling him so casually? He’s a year older than us!” she expressed. “W-we knew it each other from waaay back then” Sunhwa nervously explained. “Don’t let JiEun find out. She’s the most jealous girlfriend ever! I heard that the only reason she joined the team was to keep an eye on Changmin-sunbae…” Inna whispered. Sunhwa’s heart sank. Changmin has a girlfriend.

Apparently Inna was the only daughter of a rich family so going home meant being picked up by a luxurious car. Sunhwa watched the car drive away as she left the school gates. Walking just felt better even if Inna offered to give her a ride home.

As she passed a dark alley, she got pulled in. A hand over and another holding arms down. She wriggled and tried to scream but a calm, “it’s me, stop it” over her ear made her relax. He loosened his hold on her. She was still leaning against him. “From now on, you’re not allowed to walk home alone” he continued. His voice stern like a protective boyfriend. BOYFRIEND.

“Why are you everywhere?” Sunhwa voiced out a little bitterly. She immediately started walking as she realized the tone in her voice. Changmin followed, “Remember the park we used to swing on. They’re closing it down in two days. They’re gonna build a commercial building or something over it” he told her. She turned around almost bumping into him. She took a step back and expressed, “What?! That .”  “We can go there right now if you want” Changmin offered and they both headed to where it was.

Yellow tape surrounded the grounds but they simply jumped over it and ran around the rusty park. They sat on the swings talking about anything and everything. For a while it felt like they were in middle school again. All reckless and in love. Sunhwa sighed. If things were easy, she’d get back with Changmin in a heartbeat but she can’t, so she won’t.

“Didn’t we have our first kiss here?” Changmin voiced out and Sunhwa immediately turned to him with her face all red. They stared at each other for a while and feelings brewed in the pit of their stomachs. “Let’s go home. It’s getting late” Sunhwa blurted out then stood up and left. Changmin let out a deep sigh before following her out.

 

 


thank you to my lone subscriber and reader^^ 
NaBiEyLaH_InJoOn