Reversed

Reversed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He was the kind of guy who’d smile at you even if he doesn’t know you. He would walk down the hall, a lot of the students waving at him as he returned their gesture because it would seem like he knows everyone. He continuously walks down the hall, a smile on his face even though no one’s looking. Park Chanyeol’s toothy smile and bright attitude always seemed to lighten up anyone’s bad mood, or even just a person’s normal day. He would be the kind of person you’d want to spend your every-days with because, well, he makes people happy while Ji Eun on the other hand is his complete opposite.

No one liked Hae Ji Eun, but no one hated her either; she was the wallflower. She stayed quiet and unsociable, even when people tried to approach her. But little do people know how scared she was of judgement, that they might not like her when she starts to trust someone; she was afraid of attachment and getting hurt in the end. To her, she would rather be alone and worry about herself than start caring for someone who wouldn’t just care in the end.

“Ji Eun,” Chanyeol beamed as he sat on the chair in front of her desk in the empty classroom. “Hi,” he said having the straw of his juice in between his teeth, his hair falling just above his eyes. It was lunch time and Ji Eun wasn’t a fan of a chaotic crowd.

Ji Eun looked up at him for a while before going back to scribbling on her notebook. She couldn’t care less about him, she didn’t need him to brighten her day up because she was happy by herself.

“Uhm, I just wanted to give you this,” he said before handing her a yellow notebook.

She looked up at him again as she lifted her hands to grab the notebook, both of them holding each end. Chanyeol’s smile grew wider, “I saw it in a bookstore and thought you might like it.” Ji Eun then again looked down, still holding the notebook. Chanyeol finally realized that he should hand it over to her and muttered a “sorry,” as he let go of it. “I just noticed how you liked to draw and scribble stuff on the back page of your notebook during class.”

The redness of her face explained how she grew embarrassed of what Chanyeol said as she shot her head up to look at him again. “Ah, no! I wasn’t stalking you or anything,” he rubbed the back of his neck, “I just happen to notice when I look at the window.”

She nodded with her head down, hugging the notebook as she slightly bowed. A small smile played on her lips. Oh yeah, I’m seated by the window. “Thank you,” she mumbled.

Chanyeol smiled at her wide enough to see every tooth in his mouth. And it wasn’t even a few seconds when his friends called him. He stood up and waved at her, “thank you for accepting my friendship invitation! I’ll talk to you later,” he said running out of the classroom door.

“Chanyeol,” she called after him but it was too late. “What friendship invitation?” she asked herself.

“Oh, I almost forgot” Chanyeol poked his head by the door. “You look prettier when you smile,” he beamed at her, making Ji Eun’s cheeks turn a shade of pink. “I just thought you should know. Okay, bye,” he waved at her again before running off.

The day ended quickly since it was starting to get busy for everyone; graduation was coming near but Ji Eun wasn’t thrilled about that. College was probably the toughest moment in a person’s life. You’ll have a hard time catching up with your subjects if you miss one and would repeat at least a term or be delayed if you end up failing your subjects. It would be a lot tougher on her for she wasn’t that much of a friendly person.

“Class dismissed,” their teacher called it in for the day and the students stood up with their bags lazily hanging over their shoulders. She stood up and fixed her stuff one after the other until she held the yellow notebook that was given to her. She smiled to herself being reminded of how someone would approach her like that.

“Ji Eun~” Chanyeol sang the moment he peaked to find her eyes. “I caught you smiling again,” he chuckled.

“I w-wasn’t,” she stuttered as she placed the notebook inside her bag.

“Did you like it?” He smiled, expectant.

She nodded shyly as she slung her bag over her shoulders, avoiding Chanyeol’s gaze. “Thank you,” she cheeped, “it’s beautiful.”

“Right? So, did you see the note?”

She stared at him, confused of what he said.

“You didn’t?” His creased his eyebrows, “too bad,” he muttered but quickly smiled at her. “Nevertheless, I’ll take you to the new ice cream store nearby! You accepted the notebook so that means you agreed.”

He then took her hand and dragged her out of the school, to the ice cream store without Ji Eun having the chance to protest. But Ji Eun was happy because no one was bold enough to approach her like how Chanyeol did. Some would just smile at her or wave, but it wasn't really enough for her not to be cautious of them. Ji Eun wanted friends, but she didn't know how to trust because she never tried. Chanyel made her feel warm and light, and now she knew why people wanted to be with him; he makes them feel better about themselves.

“It’s delicious, right?” He smiled, completely in love with the cup of ice cream he was holding.

“Chanyeol,” his friends called out before Ji Eun could even speak.

“I’ll be right back,” he said as he stood up to approach them.

Ji Eun felt happy that she was able to step out of her comfort zone, even if it was just a little bit. She was happy that someone wanted to be with her despite being awfully quiet.

“Why are you with her?” She heard a guy from their class ask Chanyeol. Ji Eun then felt a sharp pang in her heart.

“She’s my friend, what’s wrong with taking her out for an ice cream?” He then chuckled, “I take you guys out for snacks, too, right?”

“It’s different between us and her, Chanyeol.”

“Why is that?” Chanyeol’s voice grew serious, “there’s no difference between all of you because you’re all my friends.”

“She’s weird. She rarely talks.” He snorted, “It’s like talking to a brick wall.”

Ji Eun then stood up taking her things with her, leaving her dessert sitting on the table. She didn’t want people looking down on her that’s why she avoided them, but it seems like even though she did her best to be by herself, people still judged her. “I’m sorry, but I have to go,” she mumbled to them, striding towards the door after bowing to Chanyeol.

“You people are jerks,” she heard Chanyeol hiss at them.

Ji Eun felt sickened. It was like she had a big lump on , and her tears began welling up in her eyes. “Hey,” Chanyeol called as he held her by the wrist and spun her around. “I’m sorry for what they said,” he said looking for her eyes as she did nothing but look down, “please look at me Ji Eun.”

She balled her fists on either side of her, clenching them tightly as her nails dug on her palms; she was fighting hard not to cry in front of anyone, especially not in front of Chanyeol. She didn’t want to virus him with her sadness, he was the only happy pill everyone’s got.

Chanyeol then took a step forward, allowing Ji Eun’s head lean on his chest, her hair. “Don’t cry,” he pleaded. “I don’t think you’re weird, not one bit.” He then chuckled, “don’t you think I’m weirder, showing off every tooth I have when I smile?”

Ji Eun then relaxed with Chanyeol’s statement. She smiled as she rubbed the tears from her eyes, still looking down. “I’m sorry,” she sniffed, “for being weird. Really, you don’t have to befriend me. They might get mad at you if you do.”

She heard him laugh, “then they’re not really friends and I’ll be better off without them.” Ji Eun looked up at him, Chanyeol giving her a comforting smile. “I told you,” he ruffled her hair, “you’re not weird, okay? You’re just shy.”

Chanyeol then placed an arm over her shoulder, “come on. I’ll walk you home.”

“But, my home’s nowhere near here,” she commented.

“Then I’ll walk you to the bus stop.”

Ji Eun then stifled a laugh but quickly covered upon realizing it. Chanyeol’s mouth dropped open as he smiled when he turned to look at her, “you laughed!”

“Sorry,” she mumbled, her face turning red.

He laughed, “don’t be! You’re laugh’s way too cute not to be heard.” And all the ways to the bus stop, Ji Eun’s face couldn’t turn any redder.

Ji Eun ran up to her room after kissing her parents the moment she got inside the house. She took out the notebook Chanyeol gave him and opened it, a note welcoming her.

"Let this be the start of a wonderful friendship!"

She laughed to herself because it was cute, how he never wrote about taking her to an ice cream shop.

Ji Eun regretted the days she spent in High School being alone. But nevertheless, the months she spent with Chanyeol before their graduation made up for all the boring times Ji Eun had with herself. But there was something she wished above everything else, she wanted to shine with him. She loved who she was whenever he's with her the same way she loves him.

Chanyeol was everyone’s ray of light but for Ji Eun, he was her sunshine. She felt herself slowly withering like a flower as days passed by, but Chanyeol rose above her encouraging her to grow. He made her a better person; she gained friends, people began approaching her and Ji

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter