chap 3.

Better Late Than Never

Baekhyun take out a drink from his refrigerator and walks to his living room. Switching on the television, he surfs from channel to channel. There’s nothing much to watch, he pick up his drink and went to the balcony. He likes to laze around his balcony whenever he feels the need to take a short break and to think about things.

He takes in a deep breath before deciding that he should head to bed. Throwing his empty can into the bin, he went into his room and slips into his bed snuggling inside the warm blanket.

Tap tap! ♫

Peeking his head out of the blanket, he spots his phone on his night stand. He reaches out for his phone before going back under his blanket. One unseen message
 

To: Baekhyunnie
From: Soo~

Goodnight, sweet dreams!

Replying with a sweet dreams too, Baekhyun was about to place his phone back on his night stand when the phone rings again.

Tap tap! ♫

To: Baekhyunnie
From: Soo~

It’s 12! Happy birthday Baek!!
You’re one year older now!

Tap tap! ♫

To: Baekhyunnie
From: Soo~

Jongin say happy birthday too!

 

Sleepily, he replies Kyungsoo with what he thought was ‘Yeah, thanks soo and help me to thank jongin too! goodnight, i am so tired’  before he locks his phone and place it on the night stand.

Ding ding! You got mail!  ♫

Damn.

Baekhyun swears if this e-mail is from Kyungsoo, he is going to be calling up Kyungsoo and who knows what he will say to him. Baekhyun isn’t exactly a nice person when it comes to his sleep. Opening up the e-mail, his eyes widen and he immediately sits up straight.

To: [email protected]
From: [email protected]

Happy birth

Ding ding! You got mail!  ♫

Baekhyun quickly taps on the open button multiples times as the phone lags slightly.

To: [email protected]
From: [email protected]

Sorry, I accidentally clicked the send button. Happy birthday! This is Chanyeol. How have you been?

Tap -

Baekhyun press away the notification from Kyungsoo, reading the emails Chanyeol sent him over and over again. With shaking hands, he types in a reply to Chanyeol.

To: [email protected]
From: [email protected]

Where have you been? I…I missed you a lot.

--

“Baek, happy birthday! What’s with your message last –” Kyungsoo paused after seeing Baekhyun’s state. Messy hair, black rings under his eyes, smudge eyeliner and clothes buttoned up wrongly.

“What’s wrong with you?!” Kyungsoo rush forward to Baekhyun, trying to comb through his hair with his fingers in an attempt to neaten it. He pulls Baekhyun up from his seat, and drags him into the restroom.

--

Looking at the neat and tidy but depressed Baekhyun, he make Baekhyun face him in the eye and questioned him. “Tell me, what happened?”

“C-chanyeol..”

“What about him?” Kyungsoo perked up, it’s had been so long since Baekhyun had mentioned about Chanyeol. He knows how much Baekhyun try to keep himself busy so he doesn’t have to think about
Chanyeol so often. He knows how much Baekhyun always avoid the topic of Chanyeol just so his heart won’t hurt.  

“E-mail. He e-mailed me.” Baekhyun stare down at the floor. 

Kyungsoo’s eyes widen and he couldn’t stop himself from questioning out loud. Baekhyun nods his head, eyes drilling into the floor. He had not slept a wink last night, waiting and waiting for Chanyeol’s reply.

But the reply never came.

Kyungsoo leans in and hugs Baekhyun, running his hands in circular motion on his back while Baekhyun silently cries.

It had been so long since he cried over him.

--

“Happy birthday to Baekhyun, happy birthday to you!” The four of them sang. “Cut the cake!” Luhan happily chimes. With a forced smile, Baekhyun hold up the knife and slice the cake. The five of them had rented a small room in the restaurant to help Baekhyun celebrate his birthday. What they thought was a happy occasion is the opposite as they see the forced smile Baekhyun had on.

“So Baekhyun, you are already 23 years old this year. You are becoming old!” Jongin tries to lighten the atmosphere, but got a smack on his back of head instead. “OUCH, what the hell are you doing?!” Jongin shouts at Luhan.

“You’re insulting me. I’m not that old!” Luhan sulks while Sehun rubs his hands over Luhan’s flawless skin trying to appease him.

“Heh, right. You are older than any of us here.” Jongin smirks. “Someone is an oldie.”

“YOU, HOW DARE YOU! Let me go Sehun!” Luhan raged and tries to hit Jongin but was hold back by Sehun. He then whispered something in his ear which makes Luhan immediately blushed and quiet down.

 Kai snickered, “So whipp – OUCH!” He was about to shout at whoever that smacked him when he turn and saw Kyungsoo glaring at him.

“Sorry..” Jongin said meekly, offering a cheeky smile.

“SO whipped.” Luhan had shot back.

Their fight starts again with Kyungsoo and Sehun trying to hold back their boyfriends while the two bickers back and forth, refusing to let each other have the pleasure of winning.

Seeing his friends trying so hard to make him smile, Baekhyun let out a laugh. The four of them stop their ruckus turning to look at him in shock.  Baekhyun stops before looking at them and starts laughing out again with all four of them joining in this time.

He is really blessed to have them as his friends.

--

On the way to the car park, Sehun and Baekhyun walk at the front talking about their work. Luhan pull Kyungsoo to walk side by side with him and ask about Baekhyun.

“What’s wrong with him today? He seems ... different.”

Kyungsoo sighs before answering Luhan, “Chanyeol e-mail him.”

“WHA-” Kyungsoo smack his hand over Luhan’s mouth before he could finish his word. Baekhyun and Sehun slightly turn to look at them, eye brows raised at the weird sight before continuing the conversation. Kyungsoo offers a smile while Luhan desperately try to get away from Kyungsoo’s hold.

“Can’t breathe!” Kyungsoo immediately lets go of Luhan and soothes Luhan’s back. “Sorry.” Kyungsoo sheepishly scratch the back of his neck.

Luhan waves a hand dismissively at Kyungsoo while catching his breath. “Stop being dramatic!” Jongin retorted. Luhan snorts at him before turning his attention to Kyungsoo. “You mean, Chanyeol? Park Chanyeol?” he whispers - or what he thought he was actually doing - to Kyungsoo.

“What about Chanyeol?” Jongin decides to join in after he was done texting on his phone.

“E-mail. He e-mail Baekhyun wishing him a happy birthday.”

“WHA-“ Kyungsoo and Luhan harshly smack their hands over Jongin’s mouth. “Ouch!” Jongin cries, “You guys didn’t have to do it so harsh! It hurts, Soo!” Jongin whines to Kyungsoo with Luhan snickering at the side.

“Serves you right.” Kyungsoo said while slightly massage the side of Jongin’s lips.

“So Chanyeol actually e-mail him?”

“Are you even list –”

“Hey you guys, any one of you need a ride? If not I will be heading off first.” Baekhyun turn abruptly and ask them.

“Nope!” Three of them said in sync, startled at the sudden question.

Baekhyun sighs and wave at them before heading to the direction his car is park at. He walks for a distance away before turning back, “By the way, I could hear what you guys were talking about throughout the whole walk.” With a shrug and a small smile on his face, he continues his way.

“WHATTTT?!” All three of them had shouted after Baekhyun is nowhere in sight, snapping their heads to Sehun.

Sehun nodded, “It was awkward…” He added. 

 

 

 

//

are you guys enjoying the chapters so far? comment please? :c