Chapter 3

To Us

Luhan’s eyes defiantly blinked against the blinding lights of the on-campus cafeteria.

“You don’t usually do this.”  He swirled a straw around in his glass of tea and watched the ice cubes clink against each other, halfway expecting them to answer.

“I don’t have to explain myself to you. The galaxy is unpredictable.” Luhan stopped playing with his straw long enough to shoot Kris a look. Are you ing kidding me? Kris merely raised a large palm up at him, flaunting his status as a pretentious rich boy.

“He’ll be here soon. I’ve devised the perfect plan to get him to join our band.”

“Join our band?-” Luhan started, but was immediately cut off upon seeing Kris’ full ensemble. Oh for ’s sake.

Kris was dressed head to toe in galaxy apparel. Snapback, hoodie, skinny jeans, backpack, and sneakers- . Are those custom made Nikes? The kid must’ve spent a fortune to look that douchey. Rich and handsome, but an idiot. Luhan thought to himself and looked back up at Kris. He was striking modelesque poses as the students around them were whipping out their phones to get pictures of him. He was clearly enjoying it, even going so far as to wink at some of the girls gawking at him. He leaned down to whisper to Luhan, as if he was in on some big secret.

“See, I told you. Everyone loves it.” “Kris, I don’t think-” He tried to speak again, but Kris had already gone back to his short-lived modelling career. Rolling his eyes, Luhan checked his phone. No new texts. He picked at his nail beds and tried to reassure himself that he hadn’t ruined things with Kim Minseok. It was just last night, right? He only stayed the night. We didn’t even sleep in the same bed. I’m overthinking this. With a deep breath, he redirected his attention to the 6 feet of pure idiot named Kris.

“Who exactly are we waiting for again?”

“Huh?” Kris stared at him with a glazed look in his eyes.

“Oh! You’ll see. He’s a big deal around here, so naturally I know him. Kind of.”

Luhan shot him another look.

“I ran into him in the halls. Wait no- he ran into me. And he was so excited to meet me it was almost cute.” Kris laced his fingers together and popped one of his legs back in imitation. “ ‘Oh, Kris Wu Yifan! Wow, I can’t believe I ran into THE Kris Wu Yifan. I am such a huge fan! I’d love to have you pay for me to have lunch with you! Please say yes! You’re soooooo cool, Wu Yifan!”

Luhan smirked and rolled his eyes. “Are those his exact words?”

“Give or take.”

“You’re ridiculous.”

“Laxy-style, man. Cooler than cool. Cooler than ice. Cooler than frozen stuff. Cooler than- uh. Cold things.”

“Okay, so you’re going to be a jackass in front of this guy. Why am I here?”

“You’re the posse bruh.”

Luhan pulled an over-exaggerated appalled expression.

“I am no man’s posse.”

“Shut up, posse. Here he comes.”

Luhan craned his neck in the direction he was looking, trying to catch sight of this wonder-fanboy Kris had gone out of his way for.

“No way. Is that Kim Jongdae? You got Kim Jongdae to have lunch with us?” Luhan’s mouth was left slightly agape as he watch Jongdae part the cafeteria crowd like Moses and the Red Sea. Kris just smirked and cockily wagged his eyebrows at him.

“Hey, uh. Kris, was it?” Jongdae smiled and extended a hand to Kris. He was wearing an ed black blazer with a crisp white tee. His jeans were black and expertly ripped, all topped off with macintosh red sneakers. He looked great. Luhan glanced down at his stained football hoodie, cargo shorts and dirty adidas sneakers. The college life had obviously been treating Kim Jongdae with far more kindness than it had Lu Han.

“Yo, thanks for coming man.” Kris reached out and shook hands with him, gesturing to the empty chairs around the table. Luhan preoccupied himself with the drawstrings on his hoodie, silently attempting to assimilate with the chair and therefore avoid conversation.

“My friend came with me too, I hope that’s not a bother. This is Minseok, he’s my language assistant.” Luhan slowly peeked up from under his bangs. What?

A familiar figure popped out from seemingly nowhere. “Hello! Wait, I know you, don’t I? You’re Luhan’s friend aren’t- Luhan!!” Minseok jumped mid sentence when he spotted the chair-boy. Luhan’s cheek flushed a slight pink and he smiled. “It’s nice to see you, Minseok.”

Minseok’s grin became larger than life hearing that. Then, a sudden arm came out of nowhere and pulled him to sit at the table

“Who is this?” Jongdae leaned over the table slightly, grinning at Luhan. “You know him, Minnie?”

Minseok nodded quickly and laced his fingers together under his chin. “He’s my friend. He works at a really great bookstore in the downtown district, we’ve been studying together a lot. Turns out, he’s a music major too!”

Jongdae smiled at Luhan. “That’s great! I’m sure you two get along well.” His smile was brilliant and heart shattering, but there was a certain glint in his eyes. It scared Luhan a bit, and he tried to brush it off immediately.

Kris somehow managed to keep Jongdae at the table for half an hour, discussing their band and how it could benefit him. Jongdae would smile and nod, charming as could be, but every once and a while Luhan would lock eyes with him, and it felt almost like a glare. He entertained himself by playing footsie with Minseok under the table, kicking their shoes together and trying not to let giggles or hisses of pain escape when they kicked too hard.

Minseok lifted his eyebrows up, glanced at Kris’ outfit, and wiggled his eyebrows at Luhan. He stifled a laugh with the sleeves of his jacket, and shrugged. That outfit really was dumb as . Jongdae began to stand up, and shook hands with Kris again. Did they arrange a meeting date or something? He quickly glanced back over to where Minseok was sitting, but the smaller boy was gone.

“Here. Text me and we’ll make plans, okay?” Minseok’s voice suddenly materialized in his ear, a note slipped into his pocket. When he turned around to speak to him, he was already walking away with Jongdae.

Luhan turned back around and opened the note with a stupid grin on his face. He hadn’t been ignoring him, he just didn’t have his number. He laughed a little in his own giddiness, then quickly shoved the note back into his pocket. He turned back to Kris.

“You need to change.”