The Interview

If Only

“Yah yah yah, look at this.” Jungshin showed Minhyuk his phone screen.

Minhyuk’s eyes widened, “Oh my, don’t show it to hyung! He had enough to think already.”

“I bet he found out long before you guys did,” Jonghyun showed up, he just done taking shower, in Jungshin’s room.

“ah yea, Hyung is always searching up his name. I’ll check on him!” Jungshin got up, but turn around before heading out, “Don’t mess my room!”

Jungshin knocks on Yonghwa’s room, feeling uneasy with the news spreading in the morning. “Morning hyung!” He put a wide smile when Yonghwa open the room.

Yonghwa knew what’s going on. The news about him and Shinhye having dinner is all over the internet. Some of his fans approved, another are ranting at him and at Shinhye. “What is it?” Yonghwa lay on his bed again.

“Hyung! Aren’t you getting ready? We have an interview, remember?” Jungshin tried to change the subject.

Yonghwa grunts and walk his way toward the shower room, “Ahrasseo…”

Before Yonghwa gets in the shower room, Jungshin held him, “Don’t bother what people talk on the internet hyung. Don’t let it messed your mind. Cheer up! I’ll see you at the lobby!” Jungshin give him a brotherly pat on his back then go back to his room.

Yea don’t bother. It sure bothers him. Yonghwa can’t stand any scandal about him, although this one is not really a scandal but it still messing with his head. There are pictures of him having dinner with Shinhye, alone, because the other boys left the table. If only he have the power to turn down and delete all those pictures, he would do it.

/////

Seohyun woke up with a mixed up feeling, but the burden is bigger, making her looking gloomy. She got up from her bed half-heartedly. Cheer up Seohyun! It’s your first day! Don’t bother who you gonna interview today! Whether its CNBLUE or even Obama, today is your day! She tries so hard to cheer herself up. She went for the shower, and then chooses her best outfit for her first day. It was early in the morning, so she got a lot of time to do the make-up and do her hair. She was applying some BB Cream when her phone rings, its Nina video calling her. They talked on the phone while Seohyun is getting ready. She told her everything, including the interview thingy.

“ARE YOU FREAKING SERIOUS? CNBLUE? FOR REAL? YOUR FIRST JOB IS TO INTERVIEW THEM? WHAT A LUCKY !” Nina shouts the moment Seohyun told her about the interview.

Seohyun laugh so loud it possibly wakens her brother, “YES! But Nina, the thing about my brother and Yonghwa will haunt me at the interview. I can’t seriously bring my guts to tell my brother about it.”

“It’s okay Seohyun-ah, you don’t really need to tell him, right? Goodluck with it!!! Tell me the details when you’re done, okay? I need to get ready for work too! Ciaooo, ti amo mio bella!” Nina ends the video call with some flying kisses.

Nina is right, I don’t need to tell Kyuhyun oppa about it.

Seohyun is all ready to go. She is wearing her white knee dress, she curled her hair a bit and put on some make-up. She’s still nervous though, although it’s better since she talked to Nina already. Kyuhyun is also ready for work, they decide to grab breakfast on the way.

“Hello there beautiful, ready to rock the day?” Kyuhyun pinch his sister’s chubby cheek then runs outside their apartment.

“Oppa!” Seohyun followed her brother outside while getting mad at the pinching.

Once they get in the car, Kyuhyun notice something strange. “Hey, whats wrong? It’s your first day at work!” Kyuhyun took a glance to his sister while driving.

“Um…” Seohyun hesitate, afraid of the outcome if she tells him.

“What is it? Something bothering you?”

“Aniyo oppa, its nothing. Hurry, I don’t want to be late on my first day!” Seohyun put on a smile to hide her nervousness.

“Arasseo! Let’s go!” Kyuhyun speed the car.

/////

The street is crowded the moment Seohyun reach near the office, people are all rushing here and there, some of them are on the phone, the other are walking fast with coffee in their hand. She can feel butterflies in her stomach, even the thumps from her heart. She gets in the building, it’s an old but fancy building, typical office building in Rome.

“Buongiorno! I’m Seohyun, the new employee here?”

The girl from information centre look at Seohyun then smile immediately. “Ah ciao! We’ve been waiting for you. Here is your card, you just need to go up to the second floor and meet a girl named Patricia, she’ll let you know what to do.” She hands her the ID card with a bright smile.

Seeing her name in that card, her picture, everything feels so unreal. She said thank you way so many times while giggling, blushing and even small jumping. She was about to head to the second floor when she heard girls screaming outside the office, following by a lot of guys in black outfit with the word SECURITY written on it. At that time, she knew that it must be some kind of artist or famous people,

“Ah it’s that Korean boyband!”

Seohyun turned to the information girl, she’s as hype as the fangirls outside the building. Seohyun laugh and surprised by how an Italian girl could love a Korean boyband. Wait, Korean boyband? So it’s CNBLUE? The sudden realization that she needs to interview them today, make her excitement sunken deep deep deep down under. She rushes to the second floor, behind the Korean boyband the information girl said before. While looking up, she’s so sure that its CNBLUE, then she prepare her mind again.

/////

The studio is already busy preparing for the interview, every single crew is wandering around, they are checking the lighting, the camera, the microphone and all when CNBLUE and Seohyun arrived. A girl with long brunette hair approach and welcoming them, she’s holding a walkie-talkie and a stack of paper. She talked with the manager of CNBLUE then asks them to proceed for the make-up. When she spots Seohyun, she looks so happy while stretching her hand for a hug, as if she knew Seohyun for a long time.

“Seohyun! You are Seohyun right?” She hugs Seohyun tightly.

Surprised and happy at the same time, Seohyun hugs her too. “Yes I am! And you must be Patricia?”

“Correct! I see you’ve met CNBLUE already?” Patricia ask Seohyun while flipping the pages on her hand.

“Ah yea, I met them at the entrance.” And two days ago as well. “When do we start? What can I do to help? Is there any script that I should read?” Seohyun is all excited again from the warm welcome she received.

Patricia looked at her with a wide smile, “Now I like that spirit! We’ll start in thirty minutes, you should get ready with the make-up over there.” Patricia points her finger to a room not so far from CNBLUE’s room, one room says STAFF and another room says GUEST. “And don’t worry about the script and questions, it’s simple and we’ll give it to you soon.”

“Okay!” Seohyun walk herself to the STAFF room where she’ll get the make-up.

Since she already did the make up at home, she doesn’t take up much time to do the touch-up. She joins other staff at the studio. Patricia gave her the list of the questions she needs to ask CNBLUE. They said Seohyun should use Korean, so the interview will light up and it will be easier for CNBLUE to answer.

“Emm, Seohyun, we will be putting this interview in our August issue. So I hope you can dig deep, and deeper for people to read.” Patricia winks at her.

“Sorry? This August issue? Oh my God! I feel so honored that you guys let me do this interview. I’m a little scared though.” Seohyun nervously put her sweaty palms together.

Patricia smile and give her a small pat on the shoulder, “It’s okay! We read your resume, and we know you can do it. It’s a good start up for you. Moreover, we don’t have any Korean interviewer. We thought we’ll be screwed, then you applied! You can do it Seohyun!”

“Yes, fighting!” Seohyun clench her fist and throwing it in the air.

The set for the interview is ready. It’s a simple interview, for a magazine, not for a TV show. But they still need to prepare everything, since there will also be pictures on the magazine. The crew are waiting for CNBLUE, while Seohyun is having a hard time to relax and not thinking about what had happened back there in Spagna Royal. It’s not her first time interviewing people, but this is sure the very first time for her to interview CNBLUE, a big star. Moreover, she can’t stop thinking about what her brother had told her, a hidden past.

Seohyun is still reading the question list when CNBLUE appeared. Seeing them upclose again making Seohyun feels uneasy and nervous. She bows at CNBLUE while they also bow with surprise faces.

“Waaah, we keep on seeing each other.” Jonghyun said while bowing to Seohyun.

“Ah ne… “ Seohyun answer awkwardly.

Yonghwa came up last, and shocked to see Seohyun standing there. “Oh we meet again. Are you here for the interview?” Yonghwa asked, while trying hard not to look at her from head to toe. Damn she’s gorgeous.

Seohyun’s throat tightened when she sees Yonghwa, somehow the face of her brother flashed in her head. “Aniyo… I’m here to interview you guys. So, shall we start?” She smiles, trying to make it look as normal as possible. They proceed to the small stage, the crew already placed the sofa for their interview there. Seohyun invites CNBLUE to sit at the sofa while she seat on a chair close to it. The crew explains to them that the interview will be held for one hour, they will record it and took some pictures.

Seohyun start the interview with a simple introduction, she’s is going well with the list of the questions. She is starting to relax and getting closer with the boys. Yonghwa keeps on trying to make jokes that lighten up the situation. The interview’s going for around 50 minutes when there is no question left on Seohyun’s cue card, Patricia told her before that she can ask freely if there’s still many time left.

“Ah I see. Now, Jungshin-ssi, you said that Yonghwa works so hard in the trainee days, right? Can you tell us how he works? And what is it that pushes him to work hard?” Seohyun asked.

Yonghwa straighten his back, “wae wae wae? It’s a question about me but you ask Jungshin instead?”

Jungshin laugh, “Ya Hyung, you’ll only show off how good you are!” They all laugh before Jungshin answered, “Yes he worked so hard back there, there was even time when he didn’t get enough sleep. I always said to him, ‘Hyung, you are so busy yet we are still trainee. Maybe you’ll die once we become famous’” Seohyun giggles to what Jungshin said. “As for what push him to work hard, I think it’s a girl.” Jungshin stare at Yonghwa, while Minhyuk and Jonghyun look surprise. They didn’t expect Jungshin to be so blunt.

“Aniya…” Yonghwa cuts in, while smiling widely.

“It is, you know how getting hurt will gain you a lot of spirit? Yonghwa hyung used that. He was heart-broken once.” Jungshin keep on blabbering anything he wants to say.

Out of nowhere, Seohyun suddenly feel tensed by the answer. She tries to laugh to hide her feeling. “Is it true Yonghwa-ssi?”

Yonghwa look her in the eyes, “Well, I can’t say for sure… Maybe you know something Seohyun-ssi?”

Seohyun froze, “Ah, m-me? W-why me…?” Seohyun stuttered then cuts by Yonghwa’s laughter.

“Why are you so nervous! Hahaha. Yes, I can say that what Jungshin said is true. You can see that my songs are mostly broken-hearted songs, it starts from there. But as I get more experience in life, my skill has developed to get better. And I have also left that source that makes me sad.”

“So that’s what makes you work hard. Hmm, may I know who is the girl that responsible for the heart-break?” Seohyun ask a tricky question. She can see that Patricia is giving her thumbs up.

Smirks shown on Yonghwa’s face, “Secret! It’s a secret!” he answered while looking at Seohyun.

“Wae… you’re no fun Yonghwa-ssi!” Seohyun try to act cute to calm the situation, more like to calm herself. “Is it… Park Shinhye?”

The boys froze but then Yonghwa laugh, to hide his surprise. “Nooo, is it because of the news that spreads on the internet? Hahaha. Everyone, it’s a misunderstanding. Hahaha no its not her. And the dinner wasn’t just the two of us, these rascals are all there back then. Hahahah” He back down, laughing awkwardly while the others approving of what their leader said.

“Ah… so it stays a secret then.” Seohyun smiled.

The last five minutes were filled with laughter as CNBLUE are giving their last statement. Starting the statement for their fans, for their family, for their haters, and at the end for those people who helped them through all the hardship until they get to be this famous. Once the interview is done, Seohyun thanked them for the time and apologize for anything wrong she said. The boys continue with some photo shoots before they are heading back to Korea.

The boys are thanking the crew once everything is done. Seohyun was still there, watching the video of her first interview with this magazine. When she realizes the boys are leaving, she stood up immediately to say her goodbye. And that’s when the boys bow to her.

“Thank you for the time Seohyun-ssi” Minhyuk said while bowing to Seohyun.

They have a little chit chat before the guys leave, they even exchange phone number. It’s only Yonghwa who is not interested in having Seohyun’s number or in giving Seohyun his phone number.

“I don’t think you’ll need my contact, right Seohyun-ssi?” he ask coldly then left the studio followed by the other member.

“Whats wrong with him? He’s so different when he’s off camera.” Patricia showed up next to Seohyun. “Anyway, you did a good job today! I told you that you can do it!” Once again, Patricia hugs Seohyun.

Seohyun hug her back, loving his work partner already. “Really? I thought I made a lot of mistakes…”

“Don’t worry about it. Even if there are mistakes, it’s okay! That’s why there are editors.” Patricia laugh. “You wanna grab lunch? Shall we go to cafeteria?”

With all the emotions she felt, she doesn’t realize that she’s hungry. She’s heading to the cafeteria with Patricia while talking about the interview. Seohyun text Nina, saying she needs to meet her as soon as possible, cause she needs her, more than anything right now.

/////

The boys walked out of the building, rushing to their van to get to the airport. They are heading back to Seoul today, because Yonghwa doesn’t feel like staying longer at Rome. Once they get in the van, Minhyuk can’t help but to bring up their last interview.

“Don’t you think it’s weird for us to keep on seeing that girl?” Minhyuk speak up once the van is moving.

Yonghwa close his eyes, he is suddenly so tired and wanting some sleep. “Yea, what are the odds. Turns out she works for the magazine.”

Jonghyun plays with his phone, “I don’t mind, she’s pretty.” The rest let out a heavy sigh, Jungshin throws a neck pillow at Jonghyun.

“Anyway hyung, why are you so cold towards her?” Jungshin ask, “Is it because she asked you about… Shinhye noona?”

“I’m sure she knew what the answer is. Yet she still ask that damn question.” Yonghwa sit up right. “I mean, she is Kyuhyun’s sister, Shinhye’s ex-boyfriend. She shoul’ve known, right?”

“Ah stop it, it’s her job to ask those questions. I don’t think she had much choice.” Jonghyun cuts the argument while still playing on his phone.

They all went silent after the small arguments. Jungshin decided to play some game on his phone, Minhyuk took a short nap, Jonghyun reading his fans tweets, and Yonghwa… Well, Yonghwa is looking out of the window, admiring the beauty of Rome that he haven’t explore yet. He’s starting to have doubts to go back to Seoul when his phone vibrates.

  • Yonghwa-yah… Can we meet up today?

Its Shinhye. The interview, that damn question, Seohyun and now Shinhye. What a perfect day. He doesn’t like talking to anyone, moreover meeting up. But its Shinhye, like it or not, he need to admits that he miss her, badly. No, this need to stop.

  • Mian, I’m going back to Seoul today.

Sent. And that one last text makes him wants to go back to Seoul as soon as possible.

/////

Seohyun went home by the subway since Kyuhyun said he can’t pick her up. Her mind is full with a lot of things. She sure need to tell every single thing that happened today to his brother. She reach her apartment and surprised that it’s still dark. Ah, oppa is still at work. She throws her bag to the sofa and head to the kitchen, serving dinner for Kyuhyun.

The door is unlocked when Seohyun is done with her simple lasagna. She’s all happy and excited knowing her brother is home, because she is ready to tell him all about her first day at the office. Kyuhyun enter with his eyes closed, following the smell of his sister’s lasagna to the kitchen. Without changing his outfit, he sits at the table and dig in the lasagna.

“Oppa! You need to change your clothes first!”

Kyuhyun doesn’t listen, he starts chewing. “mwolla mwollaaa”

“Okay whatever…” Seohyun pretends to go mad, she joins her brother on the table. “Oppa, you know today… I met Patricia, she is my senior in the magazine. She is soooo nice and so welcome! I thought they would not like me sin—“

“Eat.” Kyuhyun cuts her.

Surprised by the sudden reaction of her brother, Seohyun nods and starts to eat. “Oppa, wae geure?” Seohyun ask.

Kyuhyun is not answering. They both eat at silence, the only sound they make is the fork hitting the plate. Kyuhyun is almost done with the lasagna when he starts the conversation again.

“So hows your first day?” He cross his hands on the table, waiting for the story of his sister.

Seohyun’s eyes sparkle, “It was fun! I never knew people at the magazine are so nice. I got my own cubicle, and they are so willing to help me with anything. By anything I mean literally anything! Gosh how I love Italian people. Oh! I got to do a big interview today! And oh oppa, the cafeteria was suuuuuper good you need to try it sometimes!” Seohyun can’t stop telling her brother everything.

Kyuhyun just nods to everything Seohyun say, he is busy looking up to his phone inside his bag.

“Oppa, are you even listening?” Seohyun pouts, realizing she already talk so much but her brother’s not listening.

“Oh, mianhae Seohyun-ah… Go on with the story.” Kyuhyun throw his phone away and turn his full attention back to his sister.

“So oppa, today Patricia showed me around the office. It was huuuuge. Just like your office! You see, I think I’ll earn money as much as you did.” She’s showing off everything that happens today.

Kyuhyun’s phone keeps on vibrating. It’s clear that he is disturbed by it, because he is trying to concentrate on his sister. “Ah jinjja?”

“Ofcourse! I’m going to get richer that yo—“

“Seohyun-ah,” Kyuhyun cuts her again.  “We have to go back to Seoul.”

Seohyun froze, unsure of what her brother just said, “You are kidding, right?”

“No Seohyunie, we need to go back to Korea. Soon. Probably next month.” His tone is cold as ice.

Seohyun knows something is wrong, they have lived in Rome for a long time. And its Kyuhyun who never wanted to go back to Korea. But now when Seohyun finally settled with a job, when she finally found her dream job, he wants to go back?

“You know this is unfair, right?” Seohyun looking down on her plate, unsure of what she should do or what she should say.

Kyuhyun got up, cleaning his plates. “It’s not like I want to. But something urgent came up. Our aunt just called, and it seems like we need to go back.”

Seohyun’s eyes start to get teary, “why? Is this you being selfish again?”

“Seohyun-ah…” Kyuhyun reach to his sister and her long hair. “It’s not like that, you know that da—“

“What? Know that dad always wants us to go back to Korea someday? But it was you who would never come back! Why now oppa? Are you trying to crash my dream? Or you want to chase your old love back in Korea?” Seohyun stood up from her chair, her red eyes looking straight to his brother’s.

Kyuhyun shocked that his sister is so furious with the news, he knows she doesn’t mean every harsh words she says right now so he is trying to hug her to calm her down. Because honestly, Kyuhyun doesn’t want to go back. He knows how the job is so precious for Seohyun, he knows how it was hard for her to get the job. But he got no other choice, they need to go back, or else they’ll lose everything, everything they parents worked hard for.

Seohyun starts to sobs when Kyuhyun finally hug her. He hugs her tightly, listening to her sobbing. He her hair. “It’s our cousins Seohyun-ah. They are taking our heritance, they took everything dad left for us in Seoul. They won’t budge if it’s only me who fight to claim it back, I need you with me.”

Upon hearing the reason, Seohyun cry intensifies. This is one of the reasons why they parents took them to live far away from Korea, far away from their big family. Their family greed toward money is so high. Seohyun remember how they used to call her parents to send them airplane tickets to Rome for their summer vacation, how they ask her parents to buy them expensive watches and complaining when the watch is dead and ask again to buy them the original batteries. But where were they when her mother is sick? Where were they when her father got in a terrible accident? Seohyun and Kyuhyun need to go through all that all by themselves.

“I’m sorry Seohyun-ah...”

 

------- To be Continued --------

 

PS. Hello everyone! Oh My God its been a really long time since I updated this fic....... Sorry it took me so lo~ongt >< Please look forward to the upcoming chapters! Lets hope I'm not lazy and not getting any writer's block to write it xD anywaaaay, HAPPY NEW YEAR! HOPE YOU GUYS GET LOTS OF FORTUNE AND ALWAYS BE HEALTHY! *I know its late, ssssh, just lemme be xD*