Chapter 2: The return

Darkness of a Rose

I was looking through the paper bag when I saw King and Blaze. Blaze was twisting King’s ear, while the latter was in pain. The heck! What are they doing?!

Oh, by the way, we’re living together in a very big house, and when I say big? I mean it. It’s Dean who told us it’s safer here.

“Aww! Damn you Blaze!! If only I’m not tired and bleeding I’ll kill you!!” I quickly look at them and shake my head. What a bunch of jerks. But hey, they are my friends. Oh I mean, gang mates.

“Help Avery cook, King” Blaze said in a cold deadly tone. His right hand on King’s ear and left hand on his pocket. My eyebrows furrow when I heard King’s answer, “Why should I? She started it! And get your hand off my ear! Ah! Ouch!!” he shouted that made my blood boil up.

Did he just say I started it?! Oh c’mon! Is it me who ask him into a fight?!

I left the kitchen counter and headed over to them, “Blaze, I’ll take care of him” I said and gave him a cold stare which he gave back. He does what I say and walk away. Tss, cold. 

I look at King, “Thanks” he said and wink. Maybe he misinterprets what I did. I.DIDN’T.HELP.HIM. I will never help anyone. Helping is not my thing, killing is.

I smile and hope it didn’t turn out an evil smile. I draw my body near to him and lean my face nearer to his. Hmmm, this jerk is really good looking, isn’t he? Oh well, I’m good looking too anyway.

Talks about complimenting one self.

“Hey!” he was blushing and stuttering while stepping backwards and me stepping forward.

“Why? Don’t you like me?” I seductively ask and hold his arms. He tries to get away from my grip but temptation is more powerful than his mind’s will. Even though we always fight, he’s still a man. I’m inches apart from his face when I twist his arm on his back and he shouts in pain, “Damn! What did I do?!” he ask in pain.

Duh! Who told him I would kiss some jerk whose name is Kingston?! Not in my life!

I smirk, “You didn’t do anything. I’m just gonna ask you, who started the fight? Is it me?” I twisted his arm in full force. “Ack!” he turn his body, stand straight and push me on the wall, put his hands, leveling on my head and the other arm behind my waist.

“You” he answers in a playful tone. I smirk, bent my knee and hit him ‘where-it-hurts-the-most’. He curled to a ball on the floor while holding his jewel. He was cursing under his breath and shouting in pain.

I sigh, “C’mon King, help me out on the kitchen. Take the consequences of your mischief” I said and jump above him, “C’mon! Get up” I yell and walk to the kitchen office (where I cook).

Oh-kay? Now, what will I cook?! I was gritting my teeth in annoyance while replaying the foods Marcus always cooked me before.

“S-sinigang?” I utter and nod in a few seconds, ethical, that’s it. Yeah! That’s really it! The specialty of Marcus in the Philippines! It’s Sinigang! I punch the air upwards and smile. I look behind me and saw Dean smirking, looking at me in amusement.

I roll my eyes on him and put on my apron. I started to simmer the meat, boil the water and cut some vegetables. I get some seasonings on the kitchen cabinet and get back on cutting the vegetables when I smell something. I look on the stove and saw King in a floral apron… FRYING A ING EGG! What the hell?! He looks bored while looking at the ing burnt egg on the frying pan. I switch off the stove and look at him, pissed.

“What the are you doing?!” I replayed every fond memory I’d ever had in my head in order to muster up my patience not to stab him.

“I’m frying an egg” he answers in a bored tone and lean on the wall, still holding the pan with that gross looking egg.

“You called it frying?! You’re not frying! You’re burning it!!” I yell and the four look at us for a second. Clayton look for a second and read his book again, Blaze gave us a stare to shut up, Zoey was shaking her head and Dean nonchalantly played on his phone again.

King answers, “Oh!” he examine the egg on the pan like an idiot. Can’t he tell it on the first glance that it’s burnt?! Gross!

“It’s not” he said and shrug I almost slit his neck with the knife I’m holding. Ahhhhhhh!!!!! I can’t take it anymore!!!

“YOU GIVE IT TO ME!” I tried to get the pan on his hand but he didn’t give it.

“No! This is my egg!” I stop for a second and burst out laughing. What the hell did he just say?! I was laughing so hard when he ask me the most stupid question everyone always ask when they saw someone laughing, “What’s funny?”

“You use the wrong words dear” I said and he flushed peach red when he realized what he says.

“Stop laughing… What I mean is… this is my first time frying an egg so this is mine!!” he explains, face red in humiliation.

 “Oh! Then that’s really your egg” I look at the fan and gasp, “Oooohhh… it’s big! What’s the size?” I ask playfully and smile so sweet. I’m enjoying this!

“Shut up!” he yells in obvious humiliation and frustration. I pull myself together and stop laughing.

When did I ever learn how to smile and laugh without pretentions? This guy is really funny.

“Give me the pan and I’ll stop” I smile sweetly and hoped it didn’t turn out as a grimace.

“No!”

“Give it to me or I’ll slap that egg on your face!!”

“No!”

“I said give it to me!!”

“No!!” he raises the pan and because he is taller, I need to jump, but to no avail, I got irritated. I jump on the opposite direction of the counters and balance myself.

I was about to get the pan when he pulls it lower, walk away, laughing. I jump off the counters and pull the pan but…

“Bloody…” he utter

“Hell” I continue,

Bloody Hell!!!!

The egg flies and landed on Clay’s head.

Everyone was silent when Clayton aura suddenly gets darker and darker. I quickly get the egg on his egg before he kills me.He stands up in a harsh way that made the chair fell on the floor. He turns to me and gave me a deadly, dangerous look. I gave back his stare.

“Do you want to die?” he ask. I look at King who was on the kitchen counter, whistling. Playing innocent huh. Blaze and Zoey was waiting for the next action while Dean didn’t even give us a glance.

“It’s your fault, your head’s too big” I said nonchalantly and slammed the table. I don’t say ‘sorry’ to minor incidents like this.

“Do you think my head is some kind of pan?” he also slammed the table and look angrily at me.

“That word came from you Clay” I smirk when his fist turn into a ball. Oh, the guy is pissed. How funny!

“THE HELL!” he shouted,

“Stop it Bryson” Zoey said and put her hand on Clay’s arm. Clayton looks more pissed that ever. I smile, full of folly.

“If you want to play, never get me in your games” he gritted his teeth and sit beside Dean and Blaze with Zoey on his right side.

What did he say? Game? Ha-ha! I only play the game of chess, which I referred as the game of death. Every time I fight, I only play a game, the game of death… because every time I fight, it’s my choice if I want to stay alive or die.

“Don’t worry Clay, you won’t die from that minor incident” I tap his shoulder and get back to the kitchen giving King a punch.

~0~0~0~0~0~0~0     ~0~0~0~0~0~0~      ~0~0~0~0~0~0

“Avery, where did you learn how to cook this sour yet delicious recipe?” Zoey ask while chewing the food.

“Philippines” I shortly answer while watching them eat. I don’t really eat with them. I always prefer to be alone. They said we should eat together but I insisted I’m not hungry.

“Wow! If only I can speak Filipino too” she said and sigh sadly. She is half American and half Korean, born here in New York. Yeah, were here in New York for practicing some martial arts, new fighting techniques, archery, target shooting and fencing.

“I’ll teach you. And also, why don’t you ask Dean and Clay about it, they know how to speak it too” Clay glare at me so I glared back. Dean wasn’t eating too.

“Hey, don’t you like it?” I ask and taste the food on his plate. Well, it didn’t taste bad at all. I wonder what kind of capillaries he has.

“It’s sour” he just replies and leans back on his chair, giving me a smirk. I glare at him and slowly touch the fork on the side of my plate.

“Ah!” I tried to startle him by pointing the fork on his eyes but he defended himself with the spoon. He twisted the spoon that made my fork fly in the air. After a second, he caught the fork and gently put it beside his plate like nothing happen.

How did he do that?! I didn’t even saw him take his spoon!!

“That’s foul…” I grimace and roll my eyes. Someday, I will defeat you Labrador. I will.

He smirk again, “I never play foul. I’m not a dupe” he said and beam at me. Heck! I always hate this guy,

Flashback

12 years old

“Tada! I made porridge, do you want some?” I ask and raise the bowl of porridge in my hand. I smile sweetly and ask him to eat too but he just coldly stared at me and walked away.

…….

13 years old

“Dean, I made a brewed coffee and toasted some bread, do you want?” I ask and smile. He looked at me for a second and play on his phone again.

…….

14 years old

“Dean! Look at this! I’ve made a cake and a cookie! Look! It’s so cute!” I jump in happiness while looking at my masterpiece. Yehey! It’s my first success in doing this. He glared at me and leaned on the chair. Close his eyes and put the headset on his ear.

…….

15 years old

“Look at this; I’ve made an Italian cuisine! C’mon! It tastes good!” I get a spoon and level it on his mouth. He glared at me, hold my hand and put it down.

“No thanks” he said, stand up and walk away.

……….

16 years old

“I’ll kill you Dean, if you don’t eat this Japanese cuisine!” I get the knife beside my plate but because he’s incredibly fast, he trampled the knife and put it beside his plate.

“No thanks, I don’t eat Japanese foods” he wiped his mouth with a tissue and left me on the table.

End of flashback

I hate him! He never ate anything I cook. I requested to his mom that I want to learn how to cook because I don’t want to be useless. I just want to repay their kindness to me.

I glare at Dean for the last time and walk out of the kitchen. When he always does that, I always cry at night. But not now, I’m used to it and I’m all grown up. I don’t cry because of such…

“Ah!” I gasp silently when I saw a bullet coming from the yard to my direction. I’m used in the dark, so I can see it. I really don’t know why.

I didn’t move because the glass wall was bullet proof. I was standing there without any move.

I look at the dark yard and saw a man in a black handkerchief on his face standing on the front gate. How did I see?

It’s because I’m Dark Rose.

I smirk, he shock me for a second there huh.

Because I’m naughty, I wave at him and smile even though he can’t see it.

“Don’t you know that he can kill you right now?” I didn’t have to look beside me because I know who he is, from his cold deadly voice.

“I know. But I believe that if I die right now then so it is. I don’t hold my future, and I don’t know when, where and how I will die. Even though I don’t want to die, death will come unexpectedly. But I feel I will not die right now. He can burn this place, shot me all he wants but I won’t die, not his hands” I look at the gate but he was not there anymore.

*Desert Eagle, he’s the most powerful gangster when it comes on target shooting. He never failed on killing someone who is meters away.

The gun I own was the same as his code name. My gun is a Desert Eagle as well. And someday, he will die in my hands using my gun with the same name as his.

“What if your enemy is not really outside? What if, the enemy is beside you?”

“Dean, if you’re referring to yourself, why didn’t you kill me years ago? If I’m on your way, I will not fight you. You can always take my life. You saved me, freed me and to repay you… shouldn’t I gave my life as a payment?” I look and him and it surprise me that he was staring back at me.

I can’t see his expression because of the dim light, “Selfless…” he utter and raise his hand holding a small box.

I was astonish for a second and look at him, “What’s-”

“Don’t ask that stupid question. If you really want to know why don’t you open it?” he gave me a sharp glare and push the box on me. Such gentleness! Jerk!

“Give it properly” I gave it back to him but he pushes it back to me.

“You jerk!” I said and impatiently open the small box.

Necklace…

I look at him, amaze, “Should I say thank you?” I ask sarcastically and raise the necklace upwards. A silver necklace with a black rose pendant, on the center was a red diamond that seems to shine with the stars.

“You didn’t say that word” he said back that made me gave him a dagger look.

“Why would I? I never ask you to give me a necklace” my attention was on the black pendant when I say that. It was really beautiful.

“I know, how many times have I already hear that from you”

“Is that a question or a statement? If it is, I shouldn’t answer you”

“You already did” I frown and gave him the necklace, “You should put this to my neck” I said and push the necklace on his chest.

He didn’t do any move but after a sigh, he get it and go to my back, “6 years of being in the Underworld, it’s a gift” I touch the necklace and look at the sky. Times flies so fast…

I look at my back but Dean was already gone. Sneaky!

“Thank you…” I utter and decided to go to my room not before being pestered by Zoey.

~0~0~0~0~0   ~0~0~0~0~   ~0~0~0~0

I open my eyes, its morning again, I sit on my bed and stretch up when my eyes notice someone, “Dean!” I exclaim when I saw him on my couch. I wonder how he comes in,

“Dragon Heads University, the owner was Alyana Schultz” he straightly said that made me look at him. How did he come in?!  

“W-what? Can’t you do good morning’s?” I ask sarcastically and gave him a confuse look.

He sigh, “Alyana Schultz owns a school named Dragon Heads University in the Philippines” anger and shock was registered all over my face.

Alyana…

“Dragon Heads huh?” I smile and look at the paper he throws at me. He’s right. It was Alyana on the picture.  

“Zoey was the one who finds it out” he said again but I didn’t pay attention to it.

So… they are filthy rich now.

“I’ll transfer to this school. I will make a bad impression to that school so the standards will go down” I smirk and look at the girl on the picture. She might be on her 30’s now.

“Be a nerd and make a bad impression secretly. By doing so, they will not suspect a nerd to do horrible things”

“Nerd?!”

“Deal! We’ll transfer then. I’ll tell Blaze to do the job” he stands up and left the room.

I glare at the closed door, “Me?! Nerd?!”

~0~0~0~0~0     ~0~0~0~0~0

Ladies and gentlemen, we just landed at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport. Welcome to Manila! Local time is 2:30 pm and temperature is 30 degrees Celsius. Have a happy stay!”

I was preoccupied while going out the airport. What will I do? How will I meet them again? How will I plot my revenge? Will I kill them? Should I torture them? How? When? Where?

“Sometimes, forgiveness is the answer and not revenge” Zoey said while were walking on our condominium,

“Forgiveness is not in my vocabulary, it’s always been revenge” I wasn’t looking at her, just on the pathway, the six of us walk in a group and were catching attention.

“If you get revenge, will it change the past? Will it gave back your brother’s life? Will you forget the pain?” I can’t explain the emotion in her voice. I remain silent and expressionless.

“We have different beliefs Zoey, don’t drag me on yours” I open the door and walk to the kitchen.

I’m back,

“Avery…” Zoey put a paper bag on the kitchen counter and smile at me.

I open it. Long sleeves, skirt, long socks, and black shoes with…nerdy glass.

I.D: Avery Madison Wright
       17 years old
        Section Rose

I open an invitation with the school’s rule,

Welcome! Dragon Heads University is a place for everyone! But, you need to follow rules. The top 5 rules you’re prohibited to do,

*Never talk back to a strict professor. Excuse me, I don’t take orders from some stupid .

*Don’t underestimate Dragon Heads students. What if I did?

*Never do anything that will make a bad impression towards the school. That’s what I’m planning to do. Fools!

*Never talk to the owner when she was inspecting around the school grounds. Why don’t just make her a statue so that no one will look and talk to her? Such stupidity!

*Remember: ‘Looks can be deceiving’. The last rule makes me curious. What did they mean by that?

I was back to reverie when Blaze speak,

“They fight in an organize way”

“What do you mean?” my head was flooding with curiosity when he added those words. What did he mean?

“You’ll see” I groan in irritation because of his worthless answer.

He smirk, “Just study well” he said and leave me on the kitchen like a cat dying of curiosity.

But… I have returned not to study, but to… revenge.